Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [kartbuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's ANT+.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR Sound Level [kartbuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose that means waiting to see if they can resolve it for the Kickr2, or somesuch. Or try to find a used Computrainer and deal with the tire interface. Frustrating.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [kartbuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluetooth no ant

Mac IOS and probably android

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/19354499 - results.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [hideano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hideano wrote:
bluetooth no ant

No really folks, it has ANT+.

-
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry all on their website: http://www.wahoofitness.com/...rainer/?returnFull=1

WHAT SOFTWARE?
Compatibility: Any iPhone with Bluetooth 4.0: iPhone 4S, 5; iPad 3 and newer; iPad mini Older iPhones/iPads can collect data with the use of an ANT+ adapter for iPhone

Trainer Road
Trainer Road.com is an online community focused on providing cyclists incredible structured workouts and training programs. Check outwww.trainerroad.com for more information

Compatibility: Latest generation Apple laptops and desktops with Bluetooth 4.0 built in. Older Macs and Macbooks with a BT40 dongle Windows machines with ANT+ USB stick (control mode via ANT+ not available – yet)

Kinomap
Kinomap is an online sharing site of geolocated videos. Choose a video of your favorite Tour stage or race course and Kinomap will control the KICKR as you watch the video, matching the resistance to the elevation of your virtual ride. Check out http://www.kinomap.com for more information.

Compatibility: Any iPhone with Bluetooth 4.0: iPhone 4S, 5; iPad 3 and newer; iPad mini Older iPhones/iPads can collect data with the use of an ANT+ adapter for iPhone

Any ANT+ head unit
The KICKR broadcasts speed and power (wattage) via ANT+. Any ANT+ enabled bike computer, such as a Garmin Edge, will be able to read the data from your KICKR.

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/19354499 - results.
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR Sound Level [kartbuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I hear lemond went outta biz over this noise issue..."

It would - literally - be impossible for this to be farther from the truth.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [grad98cofc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grad98cofc wrote:
I ordered mine back in December from probikesupply.com

I'm just pissed that they've already charged my card (and I've already paid that month's card balance) and I have nothing to show for it.

Mike from Wahoo here. This was a mistake and I apologize for this. We had no agreement with Pro Bike Supply to sell trainers. Heck - dealers don't even have a price list yet (it is going out next week).

If you would like to talk more about pro bike supply and your situation, please pm or email me at mike AT wahoofitness.com. I apologize for this situation.

Livio Livius wrote:
But .... WHAT ABOUT INTERNATIONAL ORDERS?
In the short term, we cannot offer international shipping. We don’t have the ability to support KICKRs if you are outside North America. In the long term, we will have distribution in Europe and Australia.
So what is long term? 2014 and onwards?

Hi - Mike from Wahoo here. We will publish information about International purchases in mid February. We are finalized details next week at ISPO (big sport/fitness trade show) in Munich.

mike@wahoo wrote:
Mike from Wahoo here.

We will announce something official by the end of next week. It's time for us to put up or shut up ;-).

Actually, I am too afraid of Ray's mighty pen to ship anything crappy.

LOL an announcement about an upcomming announcement. Why not just cut the crap and make an announcement in the first place?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike from Wahoo here.

The KICKR has BOTH Bluetooth Smart and ANT+.

You can both receive data and control the KICKR via Bluetooth Smart.
As of now, you can receive data via ANT+. In the future, we will extend the ANT+ capabilities.

Also, the KICKR's firmware can be updated via the App.

dcrainmaker wrote:
hideano wrote:
bluetooth no ant

No really folks, it has ANT+.

It's not a noisy trainer. It's a very very quiet trainer.

I've ridden it in erg mode in my office while in the smallest gear. That makes the fly wheel spin more slowly. It was quieter than my Rock n Roll (which my buddy Reid was using with a trainer tire right next to me).

When the fly wheel spins quickly it's not very noisy either.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [grad98cofc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New update has preorders Jan 29, the bait is en route..
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate,

Thanks for making that point. The high torque electromagnet is designed to generate high power even at low speeds, something I don't believe any other trainer can do. This allows Erg mode to operate at low speeds and makes the Trainer exceptionally quiet. I'm obviously biased (it's my baby) but it doesn't "feel" as loud as other trainers even at similar speeds.

Chip from Wahoo
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Yikes 10% price jump.

"The KICKR retails for $1099 USD. The price went up slightly from what was previously announced due to unforeseen manufacturing changes over the past 60 days."

I know right...

you just paying 500+ over a KK+inRide or a regular trainer with traineroad.com to ride in ERG mode

Also, perhaps one of these day they will add Lap.Power.Avg to their application...

thanks but no thanks...

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Last edited by: camaleon: Jan 25, 13 7:11
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [mike@wahoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you use iPod Touch instead of iPhone/iPad as long it carries the Bluetooth 4? It looks like iPod Touch 4th Gen supports Bluetooth 2 and the 5th Gen support Bluetooth 4. From your website: Compatible with iPhone 5 and 4S, iPad (3rd and 4th generations), and iPad Mini

Without know much of the real difference between BT2 and BT4, it's based on power-consumption, distance and latency... of all these 3 perhaps the most important is the latency and that's why the BT4 must be used? Trying to come up with a not so high-cost device on the Apple family to pair with the trainer (for those that don't own an iPad/iPhone -read Android fans) so I thought the iPodTouch 4th Gen ($100 for basic 4Gb/8Gb) may still do given it runs IOS6
Last edited by: aca-tri: Jan 25, 13 7:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It uses Bluetooth to control (meaning it's a complete loop feedback system) the trainer (vs just ANT+ that receives/displays information). Can you use iPod Touch instead of iPhone/iPad as long it carries the Bluetooth 4? It looks like iPod Touch 4th Gen supports Bluetooth 2 and the 5th Gen support Bluetooth 4. From your website: Compatible with iPhone 5 and 4S, iPad (3rd and 4th generations), and iPad Mini

Without know much of the real difference between BT2 and BT4, it's based on power-consumption, distance and latency... of all these 3 perhaps the most important is the latency and that's why the BT4 must be used? Trying to come up with a not so high-cost device on the Apple family to pair with the trainer (for those that don't own an iPad/iPhone -read Android fans) so I thought the iPodTouch 4th Gen ($100 for basic 4Gb/8Gb) may still do given it runs IOS6
Last edited by: aca-tri: Jan 25, 13 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [aca-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as it carries BT4 you're good (iDevice wise). I don't have an iPod nearby to 100% validate it's it's fine, but I'm sure Mike/Chip will chime in.

On the older generation ones (pre-BT4), that's actually one of the reasons they're adding in the ANT+ resistance control (short term). It would allow anyone with an older iDevice to use the Wahoo Adapter to control it. As well as Windows and Android devices with ANT+.

aca-tri wrote:
It uses Bluetooth to control (meaning it's a complete loop feedback system) the trainer (vs just ANT+ that receives/displays information). Can you use iPod Touch instead of iPhone/iPad as long it carries the Bluetooth 4? It looks like iPod Touch 4th Gen supports Bluetooth 2 and the 5th Gen support Bluetooth 4. From your website: Compatible with iPhone 5 and 4S, iPad (3rd and 4th generations), and iPad Mini

-
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
camaleon wrote:
Also, perhaps one of these day they will add Lap.Power.Avg to their application...

Fwiw, the new Wahoo App (that will be out whenever RFLKT comes out) does actually have Lap Power, Previous Lap Power, Average Power and of course current Power. Same app that will/does control KICKR. You simply tap metric (in training mode) the screen to toggle through the different variations, sorta like a Joule.

I do still wish however I could customize everything.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
camaleon wrote:

I do still wish however I could customize everything.

Ray - just wait a few months. This is on the priority list for the App!

Hey Ray, I have one of those once-upon-a-time-599 Touchpads that I got on the fire sale at very-very-very low price and run Android (CM10). I believe you reported that in one of your visits you saw a new 'dongle' that would enable Android to 'speak' ANT+, right? If so, which one is it if you recall? That'll fix the HW component piece but I still have not seen any confirmations from Wahoo or TrainerRoad (or any other serious company) that they have an Android app that performs the same as the Apple one. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Not sure why companies are hesitant to put money on Android development. Yes, Apple is robust, trendy, status-claimer but really pricey to what you get. Android on the other hand is EVERYWHERE and so many people are already developing for it (in some cases for free -like porting Android into this HP Touchpad with all whistles and bells like camera/video/audio/codecs/etc). Eventually as history has proven, the open-system will trump over the closed-expensive-system and that's where the real opportunity/money is. Read Ubuntu as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [aca-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know Drew from PerfPro Studio http://perfprostudio.com/ is also working to get his software connected to Kickr. When he succeeds than you can use erg - time/grade - course mode and Sufferfest as a stand alone software on you local pc. I would say one of the best solutions if you do not have an Apple (Mac/iPad/etc).
Quote Reply
Post deleted by kartbuilder [ In reply to ]
Re: KICKR Sound Level [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
It's funny. I just watched the video and though 'gee, that sounds loud' (yes, I know I shot it).

I was curious to see if I just did a simple 200w ride at normal cadence what the decibles would be. So I just jumped on. Came out almost identical.

But the thing is, I think my laptop actually sounded louder playing it back than the trainer did. I guess to me (in the room), there isn't that undercurrent of loudness. And the high-pitched sound does seem higher on the tape than in real life.

If you're in Paris - I'm happy to have ya swing by and listen. :)

Ray, just a thought, but I know that there are plenty of smartphone apps for sound frequency analysis. As part of your trainer sound testing, you might want to sample the frequency spectrums to look for dominant frequencies along with the total sound power level (I.e. decibels)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next