Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
100/100 Runs Challenge: final 3 days...finishing sprint!
Quote | Reply
OK, first post edited to show the details for the 2009-2010 100 runs in 100 days challenge with a few edits from last year on instructions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS IS THE OFFICIAL 100/100 THREAD. RULES AND OTHER IMPORTANT DETAILS POSTED HERE. USE THIS THREAD TO POST YOUR SMACKTALK FOR THE REST OF THE WINTER. and motivate your training partners

Thanks to Slowman, Rappstar, Herbert for accomodating us and hosting this virtual training camp on their website at no cost to us!!! Last year worked well using the ST training log, so its back this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Dec 15th we'll start the 2009-10 edition of the 100 runs in 100 day challenge, commonly known as 100/100. The thing has evolved somewhat over the past few years, due to and contrary to popular demand. The basic “unit” that counts as a “run” is 30 minutes.

The goal of this entire thing is to lay down a solid run base by doing volume through frequency. The goal of the challenge actually is not to randomly be doing a whole whack of short runs, although some in the past may have chosen to. The goal really is to increase your overall mileage which will result in better performances next year. Frequency is the carrot to get you there.

The runs can be outdoors or on a treadmill, but it must be running (no water running, no elliptical trainer...). Walking does not count...there must be 2 feet off the ground at some point in every stride (the difference between race walking and running) and there must be forward motion so 30 minutes of jumping jacks will not count either :-) :-) :-).

DO’S AND DON’TS
  1. You can take days off
  2. You can do days with more than one run (doubles)
  3. You can and likely should take rest days
  4. You get no credit for going longer than 30 minute wrt number of runs, however it will help your distance totals
  5. If you go fast, it will show up in your total distance over the challenge in less time and the speedsters get to beat the crap out of each other.
  6. You can go as slow as you want provided both feet leave the ground on every stride
  7. Listen to your body if you need to take a day off…don’t get too sucked into what the other geeks on the ‘standings’ are doing (who am I kidding….talking to a bunch a type A tri geeks)
  8. By all means, use the overall standing as a motivator to push you up a level, but don’t put yourself in the injury/hurt locker in the middle of winter
  9. Don't sprint out of the gate in the first 3 weeks....easiest way to get injured...
  10. If you make it through 10 weeks (70 days), pour it on in the final month when your body and mind can take it.

WHAT COUNTS AS A DOUBLE RUN?

For a run to count as a double, it must be separated by at least 1 hour. I have to pick a duration to separate 2 runs and it can't be 1 minute or 5 minutes, and putting 1 hour in between means that I will allow you to count a run-swim-run, run-bike-run, run-wts-run, run-XC ski-run, run-McDonalds-run as 2 sessions as long as the thing in between lasts for at least 1 hour (be it 40K on the bike, or a session at the donut shop).

Three years ago _EH_, Jana and I put down 100 days in a row of running 30 min or more with ZERO rest days. Not really recommended. The last few years we have had approximately 50 or more hit 100 runs in 100 days, but that's really not for everyone (nor should it be)

WHAT ARE THE VARIOUS LEVELS

While some might go for 100 runs, the reality is that unless you are already running 4-6 hours per week, this is not a realistic goal. If you did over 2500K of running last year, you're probably goo to go to attack the full 100 (assuming you have no injuries)

For most a realistic goal is to start at Bronze “club pace” (or less) and then see how things go.
  1. Platinum Club = 100 runs in 100 days (March 24th)
  2. Gold Club = 90 runs in 100 runs in days
  3. Silver Club = 80 runs in 100 runs in days
  4. Bronze = 70 runs in 100 runs in days

It is great training for anyone doing a spring marathon or an early season triathlon, and you'll be shocked by how quickly you accumulate mileage, all without getting injured...because the focus is keeping them short and aerobic. By all means feel free to run longer than 30 minutes, but the main goal here is to get you out the door, 5-7 times per week, especially given that the weather is generally shitty for riding in many parts of the Northern Hemisphere.

QUESTION ABOUT RUNS SHORTER THAN 30 MINUTES

The goal is to encourage people to run as much as possible. Sometimes, life gets in the way. We have lives outside sport. Something is better than nothing. So if you do 2 runs shorter than 30 minutes in one day (ex 20+15), you can count the total as 1 run, but beyond that, you can’t keep adding up incremental amounts to count for additional runs. For example, a 50 minute run and 10 minute run in one day won’t count as 2 runs and nor will 20+20+20. They will both count as one 60 minute run (you can add your short run amount to your large run amount to get full mileage credit).
So basically let's say you do a 15 minute run covering 3K. You can't enter this as a "complete run" for your "club status", however, if you do many of these over the winter, they all add up to more base, so what you CAN do is add these 15 minutes in your entry for your previous run...so if your previous run was 45 minutes, and 9K, just put it in as 60 minutes and 12K and take some partial credit for it.

1. Go to training.slowtwitch.com
2. Sign up for a training log account if you don’t already have one
3. Then go to training.slowtwitch.com/challenges
4. Look for the 100 runs/100 days challenge and sign up for it
5. Now start entering your runs in the slowtwitch log. Make sure you only enter runs >30 minutes as one entity. If you have a 20+15 day, enter it as one workout of 35 minute or it will not get rolled into the results sheet
6. Please ensure that you log a distance along with the time. If you don't know the distance, please try to estimate...this will also get you finely tuned to your pace at various times/distances...great for racing
7. Your runs will automatically get entered into the challenge results sheet with everyone else
8. From the challenges home page, click on the link to go to the 100/100 challenge, which will allow you to view the results
9. Once click on this link you will end up at the results page. You can click on any of the column headers, and it will sort the sheet based on that category (frequency, time, distance, aerobic points.
10. Please note that you must be logged in to actually enter your data. You can’t enter data without logging into your account (seems obvious...)

I’ll update this post as other questions come up.

And as was the case in previous years, don't expect any love around here (there is lots of tough love). If you think I might be hard nosed, let me just say, that offlin, I get beaten up by even more hard core guys accusing me of making the challenge too "soft". So the rules are the rules. They've been refined over the past few years and love them or hate them, they kind of work.

OK, safe training and don't do anything crazy to put yourself in the hurt locker (like break your leg skiing as I did last year or slipping on ice). See you at the races in 2010.....PB's to all! For me, its base time to see if I can do 36.xx and 1:20.xx in the 10K and half marathon next year....this year I came up short by 10 and 15 seconds respectively....I'm shooting for 80 runs and 800K over the period.

Dev
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Mar 22, 10 3:37
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great quote!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [trvfsub2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, if I don't plan on doing 100 runs in 100 days can I still sign up? My training has me doing 6 runs a week so I'd fall a bit short (mid-80's) but it'd still be a great way to keep me motivated during these winter months (today's 20 degree, 30mph wind session wasn't too much fun and there'll be alot more where that came from).
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be patient....all details coming....you can do anything between 1 run and 100 runs....the idea is to get a solid run base (aggregate mileage) through frequency. Frequency is the carrot to getting you guys out to and get the miles in! While some treat frequency as the ultimate goal, (which by the way is fine), it is really my secret way of getting you guys to actually do more run mileage when you really would rather not in the depth of winter. Days off are a good thing, permitted and recommended....6x per week is plenty.

The start date of Dec 15th is to help you guys burn the Xmas Turkey, the Black Forest Cake and the New Year's fermented Maltodextrin and grapes....

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 100/100 starting next week was my excuse for sleeping in today...thanks Dev :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Out of curiosity, if I don't plan on doing 100 runs in 100 days can I still sign up? My training has me doing 6 runs a week so I'd fall a bit short (mid-80's) but it'd still be a great way to keep me motivated during these winter months (today's 20 degree, 30mph wind session wasn't too much fun and there'll be alot more where that came from).

I would KILL for that weather... in ND it's been roughly -20 with wind chill all week. Makes running a drag but this competetion might be what I need.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris, I have only run once this week. Was still running way too much through the end of Nov and early Dec (force of habit and I can run whenever I want, making it the easy choice when I want to train). Anyway, I figure I needed a solid 10 day break before resuming run training. My goal this year is silver club (80 runs and cover 800K ). I want more off days for flexibility to ski and ride (indoors).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,
I went through the same thing with running a bit more in November than I probably wanted to. Looking to try to get 90/ 9000 k in during the challenge that worked great last year. Frequency is the key and I can not say enough about the importance of that extra( 1-2) 30 minute runs have on your season. it not only helps the good days become better days but helps on those days when things are going a bit rougher. I have over 40 years of running and went years without missing a day of running but really saw great results from last seasons challenge. I would advise newcomers to do what you can safely and watch your results because this challenge pays off.
Last edited by: Scot: Dec 12, 09 11:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like fun =D
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [missinglink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BRING IT!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!

lets do this!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plan formulated ready to go !!

Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been tapering for the 100/100.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too, very well rested........i'm ready to shoot for 80-90 runs.

tfun~
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [trvfsub2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm up for this, will be waiting and ready too go.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motivated by this thread enough to go for a 6 miler after work at 10pm last night in the rain :)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott...all tapered up now (from a run perspective). I actually broke down and ran today.....8Krun+25K XC ski. I'll get around to posting details later tonite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in again this year.

In anticipation, I've been working on BarryP's 1:2:3 formula since October JUST to get ready!

Last year I started too hard, and by Day 60 or so had to bail due to a balky achilles tendon. Played it smart this year by ramping up the frequency.

Yeah! Go Dev!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to my buddy Daniels light running every day is no more stressful for a trained athlete than sitting on the couch is for a sedentary person...my plan is to be totally lazy this winter yet knock out the 100/100 again :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev. I think I'll miss the 15th but am excited for the next 99 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might as well!

-----
Follow me on Twitter! megankillian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'm in
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [dshaw101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in for sure! This sounds awesome. I need to train up for outdoor track and this could keep the motivation alive.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [UMDRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no time but i'm doing it anyway.

Please, no points for anything but running. Remember the name of the challenge....:-)

Thank God for Dev and the 100/100 Challenge!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I won't possibly do 100 runs, but with a half in March and full marathon in April I might as well give it a shot!
Quote Reply

Prev Next