Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: running a sub 2 hour marathon [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar to how England approached the men's triathlon in the olympics, you need to have a country/team that's willing to sacrifice a lot of really good talent to place maybe 3 people in stellar position after 20 miles. Great benefit off of a drafting situation, maybe even pacing circles with your A racers staying on the back. Just like a sprint finish in a bike race, the team works all out for one or two people for a chance at a full on assault at the finish line, and in this case, it would be a goal of sub-2. If you had a big prize purse, then which ever country or team was able to execute something like this would be able to split the $$ between their team.
Quote Reply
Re: running a sub 2 hour marathon [sametime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simply put, sub 2 hour marathon will involve running faster. Not a lot faster, but still, running faster.......

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: running a sub 2 hour marathon [toebutt769] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If a guy ran a sub 2-hour marathon along with Kimetto's WR in the same race, the guy running the sub 2-hour marathon would be over a full kilometer ahead of Kimetto's WR. That is not even close! Additionally, look who is pacing the Berlin Marathon. 2:05 marathoners, and they are sometimes pacing them all the way to 35 k. Talent is getting sacrificed at Berlin. Hell, even the Emperor, Hailie Gebrselassie, who owned the WR for quite a few years recently paced the London marathon.

If you think that a 2-hour marathon will be broke any time soon, you do not follow the sport closely enough to have that opinion.

It is not happening regardless of conditions, pacing, course, etc, for a LONG time. Maybe when the WR is 2:00:15 we can start talking about its imminence, but most of us will not see the WR below 2:01:00 (which is still a little under a quarter mile from breaking the 2:00 barrier).
Quote Reply
Re: running a sub 2 hour marathon [InWyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno if we can get adidas on the ultra light weight shoe bandwagon and get them some comfy skin suits I think we see 2:01:00 before we die =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: running a sub 2 hour marathon [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I dunno if we can get adidas on the ultra light weight shoe bandwagon and get them some comfy skin suits I think we see 2:01:00 before we die =)

I think you will get <2:01:59 at next years Berlin Marathon. Don't die before then!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

Lightweight is probably the least important of 3 characteristics that make a fast shoe.

There's a reason why the world record has been repeatedly set in the Adios Boost at >8oz.
Quote Reply
Re: running a sub 2 hour marathon [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, so keep the other 2 constant (or better?) while getting that shoe down to 4 or 5 ounces, that is the challenge.

Should be good for 30 to 45 seconds
This isn't gonna be easy!

Nick B wrote:
jackmott wrote:

Lightweight is probably the least important of 3 characteristics that make a fast shoe.

There's a reason why the world record has been repeatedly set in the Adios Boost at >8oz.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Right, so keep the other 2 constant (or better?) while getting that shoe down to 4 or 5 ounces, that is the challenge.

Should be good for 30 to 45 seconds
This isn't gonna be easy!

Nick B wrote:
jackmott wrote:

I don't see that happening unless there's some huge breakthrough in material science. The Adidas TPU Boost is the coolest thing to happen in running shoes in about 30 years.

If anything, the shoe could be heavier and still be faster based on the research. By optimizing the spring constant of the sole and longitudinal bending stiffness for the athlete's weight and stride, you could produce the fastest shoe, but I don't think it would be less than 9oz.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a point of negative returns with shoe weight with the materials that are available, and that's already been studied. With skin suits you've got other potential issues as well. For instance, will it increase or decrease the chance for chaffeing? What works on the bike doesn't necessarily work while running...Additionally we're talking about relative speeds of a little over 13 MPH. How much will form-fitting clothes help at that level....and I have seen a few elite marathoners wear skin-tight kits...Dathan Ritzenhein immediately comes to mind:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
InWyo wrote:
.Additionally we're talking about relative speeds of a little over 13 MPH. How much will form-fitting clothes help at that level

should be about 30 seconds

I know that dropping the shoe mass and making a skinsuit work is going to be hard.

but do you want a sub 2 marathon or not guys? =)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a list of most of the pro's shoes during the Chicago Marathon:

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2014/10/marathon-racing-shoes-pros-wearing-chicago/

NB 1400 = 6.3 oz
Mizuno Hitogami = 7.4 oz

Adios Boost = 8.0 oz.
Mizuno Ronin = 6.9 oz
Brooks T7 = 6.4 oz
Nike Streak 5 = 5.4 oz

From the looks of it, it appears as though only 1 of the fastest 10 marathons ever run was by an athlete that is NOT an Adidas athlete (and that's Moses Mosop on a down-hill wind-aided course)...You have to go all the way to number 20 on the all-time list to find a legal fast marathoner that is not in Adidas (Kebede). Not sure if the assumption that all the fastest Adidas athletes are in the Boost is correct either. I'd have to do some digging, but if they wanted lighter weight, they could wear the Hagio (6.6 oz) or the Takumi (6.3 oz) and perhaps some do, but it appears Makau, Kipsang, Kimetto and both Mutais all wear the boost. With all they have at their disposal, why would they choose the heaviest unless it's also the fastest?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
InWyo wrote:
why would they choose the heaviest unless it's also the fastest?[/font]

maybe it is, maybe it isn't, I have no idea. I know not a single thing about shoes except that lighter is better if all else remains constant.

so, get to work, duplicate the boost but remove 2 ounces

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But there is a limit. There is a metabolic cost of running without cushion:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.researchgate.net%2Fpublication%2F221864031_Metabolic_cost_of_running_barefoot_versus_shod_is_lighter_better%2Flinks%2F02e7e529f7995805b9000000&ei=hwNAVJ2gMI-xyASz5oHgCQ&usg=AFQjCNH-KBkno59KqlAO8LCch-2xpuNbvQ&sig2=99PJTBNJsXeF8kaGgCcxiw&bvm=bv.77648437,d.aWw&cad=rja

It may be that the shoes listed above are already lighter than optimum (due to reduced cussion) and the boost is actually optimum.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
InWyo wrote:

Exactly.
So duplicate all properties of the boost, except make it lighter.

Even if we assume that no materials exist to make that happen, there are exterior design elements that could be shaved, prolly could do something with the lacing too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
InWyo wrote:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.researchgate.net%2Fpublication%2F221864031_Metabolic_cost_of_running_barefoot_versus_shod_is_lighter_better%2Flinks%2F02e7e529f7995805b9000000&ei=hwNAVJ2gMI-xyASz5oHgCQ&usg=AFQjCNH-KBkno59KqlAO8LCch-2xpuNbvQ&sig2=99PJTBNJsXeF8kaGgCcxiw&bvm=bv.77648437,d.aWw&cad=rja

It may be that the shoes listed above are already lighter than optimum (due to reduced cussion) and the boost is actually optimum.

Jackmott is saying make a shoe with the same cushioning as the boost, but lighter. It will probably be difficult, but breaking 2 hours is of course going to be difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can get a collection of sub 1:00 1/2 runners to pace and switch out pacers every 10k or so, then you could set the pace for going under 2. The pacers would just have to bury themselves for 10k and have a switch out at the aid stations.

Then the people trying for the record would just have to hold on to the rabbits and pray they survive.

Without having a rabbit system like that, I just don't see it happening for a loooonnnnnngggg time.

Re: running a sub 2 hour marathon [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would not be radified as it's against IAAF rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't you throw the upper from something like a Mayfly on there on drop 2 oz just like that? They might not last worth crap but elite dont care

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: running a sub 2 hour marathon [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
Couldn't you throw the upper from something like a Mayfly on there on drop 2 oz just like that? They might not last worth crap but elite dont care

No idea. Hell could you just drill holes in the upper? heh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waite...stop the press. Turns out this is old news:

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/hobie-call-would-be-sub-200-marathoner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maffetone's new book 1:59 is a good read.

He even launches the runners he predicts would do it.

Although, I am with many people on the thread and think that it's pretty far off. But Maffetone is optimistic!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
InWyo wrote:

Exactly.

Even if we assume that no materials exist to make that happen, there are exterior design elements that could be shaved, prolly could do something with the lacing too.

There is a lot of excess in the boost that could be cut out. The heavy upper, the plastic flex plate between the midsole and outsole, the full length outsole, heavy boost foam in unneeded areas (arch). This could easily be a 7oz. shoe.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: running a sub 2 hour marathon [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
jackmott wrote:
InWyo wrote:

Exactly.

There is a lot of excess in the boost that could be cut out. The heavy upper, the plastic flex plate between the midsole and outsole, the full length outsole, heavy boost foam in unneeded areas (arch). This could easily be a 7oz. shoe.

Which shoe company do you work for again?
Quote Reply
Re: running a sub 2 hour marathon [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
We'll have to revive this thread in 5 years then. I'll say its still north of 2:02:15

OK - here we go! I still have another 7 months to meet my prediction!
Kenya's Eliud Kipchoge smashed the marathon world record by clocking a time of two hours one minute 39 seconds in Berlin.
Quote Reply
Re: running a sub 2 hour marathon [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I think that when the first sub 2 hour marathon is run, it would be world best not a world record. Perhaps point to point with net elevation loss and a tailwind.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next