Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is what i did after a torn hip labrum.

Found it on letsrun forums with others with similar injury.

I know you're not injured, but i would do this again if i was starting up running again for any reason.

Week 1: a few 30 min with a couple 2-3 minute light jogs thrown in.
Week 2: Began running 5 minutes a day. 6 days/week (5 mins on a treadmill at the gym after swimming... yes, just 5 minutes)
Week 3: 10 minutes a day, 6 days/week
Week 4: 15 minutes a day, 6 days/week
Week 8: 35 minutes a day, 6 days/week
Week 12: 1 hour a day, 6 days/week

After this 4 month block, I was compeletely healed and felt very strong. Then i started to specialize for my events, began building mileage for long runs

Fast forward and im handling 75km/week now, ironman texas coming up and it's my strongest year running yet without injury.
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the slight high jack

Have u ever met an athlete that doesn't respond to high miles and slow running compared to less volume and more intensity?
Had a chat with a mate yesterday who is disgustingly fast in sprints and olys for runs. His biggest week was last week at 37kms total. I nearly fell off my chair- he runs 80% hard and is still decent at the other legs. Luckily for him still injury free

I'm sitting on 55kms a week during the season which I feel is sorta stuck in the middle- not enough miles to be really fast, not enough speed work to compensate that way either. Offseason in a few months for me, I plan to do your 80km weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:

Have u ever met an athlete that doesn't respond to high miles and slow running compared to less volume and more intensity?
Had a chat with a mate yesterday who is disgustingly fast in sprints and olys for runs. His biggest week was last week at 37kms total. I nearly fell off my chair- he runs 80% hard and is still decent at the other legs. Luckily for him still injury free

I'm sitting on 55kms a week during the season which I feel is sorta stuck in the middle- not enough miles to be really fast, not enough speed work to compensate that way either. Offseason in a few months for me, I plan to do your 80km weeks.

Sure, there are always people who are fast on little volume and who go hard for a while without getting hurt. Some people also win the lottery. There's a pretty good body of evidence that on average the slow volume approach to running is likely to help hit a sweet spot between reaching one's potential and minimizing injury risk. The other part is sure your mate is fast but hard to say whether that is largely innate. Perhaps his current training is maximizing his potential but maybe he could be even faster with a different plan.
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year I was coming off a plantar fasciitis injury. I did a Barry P plan based on a long run the first week of 3/4 mile which was about an 8 minute run at my slow pace. That made short runs 1/4 mile and medium runs at 1/2 mile. I also started and ended with a minimum 1/4 mile walk to warm up and cool down. Being injury prone, I just did a 6% weekly increase. Took a while just to build up to 5k long run but I got there injury free and faster than I've ever been.

Thats what worked for me.

Ron
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason - you've given me great swim tips so, as a strong runner, I'm glad to finally return the favor. All the strongest runners jog in place at stop lights. It's the running equivalent of a flip turn. You simply can't expect to get better if you stop and take all that extra rest. Sometimes, just for good measure, I'll somersault at stop lights to keep my flip turn game sharp.

I'd echo what most others have said...Slow, slow, slow. Short, short, short. I also know others who had success with Couch to 5k. When you finally get a solid base and start to ramp it up, you will still feel like crap at the beginning of every run. This is probably the most frequent tip I give to non-runner friends. They tell me they can't run because they feel like hell for the first half mile so they quit. Guess what? I do, too. Then I find a rhythm, my body relaxes, and my breathing calms. Miles later, I'm cruising and feeling great. I'd imagine it's the same way you feel in a swim warm-up. Lots of kinks until the body gets lubed and loose? 3000 yards later and you're flying.

Above all, just remember you are a swimmer and not an actual athlete so running (which is actual exercise) will be a shock to your system. Sorry about this comment, but you know my ST contract requires me to belittle swimming.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For someone like you.....at your current weight and with swimming background.....

right now...i think just getting back to the stress of running is your first step. find some grass field or soft surface and just enjoy getting out there very very slow. your issue isnt your engine but the legs not ready to take the load/stress/abuse. So you need to hold back.... a few months of slow but consistant running would do wonder!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [sylvius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sylvius wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:

Sure, there are always people who are fast on little volume and who go hard for a while without getting hurt. Some people also win the lottery. There's a pretty good body of evidence that on average the slow volume approach to running is likely to help hit a sweet spot between reaching one's potential and minimizing injury risk. The other part is sure your mate is fast but hard to say whether that is largely innate. Perhaps his current training is maximizing his potential but maybe he could be even faster with a different plan.

I'd also argue that one should not - especially for amateur/Age-group atheltes - compare and evaluate training regimes with the sole focus on who is faster. Genes, background and talent play way to large a role. F.ex. I consider my "self-coached" approach to be pretty decent, but most def not optimal. I've gotten some under 40min for the 10k, with my regime. Some guys in my area - however - just go from couch to 36min 10k in 6 months, with not very much running volume. Damn unfair - but reality. These are guys who (I'm guessing) could get in the very low 30's with ideal training. As for me? I figure I would always be a couple minuts behind no matter what my tranining-approach.

The best training-approach maximises your potential, but your potential could be widley off the other guy/gals potential. No matter how hard I trained I would not come within the same time-zone as the top pros in an Ironman... This (unfortunatley) applies to most of us..
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alas you are right. Frowny emoji !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey, I'm someone who will tell you...

It's OK to take it easy :-)

you did ask for that!

running is the opposite of swimming - easy to get injured even for those without a big engine. You can overdrive yourself into the ground - and not even know it. until that is, you KNOW it! Then it's too late.

Enjoy the journey, but, make it an easy one.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I then began extending the 30min run by 10% every 2 weeks ...

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
lightheir wrote:
It's not too complicated for you.

Keep it ALL EASY effort. Like literally being able to hold a short conversation easy.

And run 2-3 miles per day - shoot for more days of running rather than more volume per run.

Since you haven't run hard for quite awhile, err on the safe side and take a good 3-4 weeks to establish run volume of at least 25mpw. Ideally, you'd get to 30+mpw before starting to run faster. The 10% rule should work fine if in doubt, but at these low volumes, you can ramp up faster (by adding more days of running before miles per run) if you're feeling fine.

And whatever you do, do NOT go all-out on any of your runs. With your big cardio engine from swimming, you'll strain something in your legs really fast and sideline yourself for 4-8 weeks right off the bat.

I'd keep swimming for your 'real' workouts for now. You'll be frustrated with how wussy the run workouts are compared to your swim hammerfests, and it's really important for you to not apply your swim hammerfest mentality to running at this early point where your muscles and tendons will just get torn and strained.

That's what I need to hear. My natural tendency is to go hard, because that's fun, and I ignore warning signs (in the pool that's a sign that you are getting started). Then I get injured and can barely walk for 2 weeks...

I've tried re-starting a couple of times since I stopped running in '08. but each time it's ended like that...
I wouldn't call 3-4 weeks to get to 25mpw+ erring on the safe side!
I've occasionally taken several weeks off running out of season and just cycled. When I get back to running say after 8 weeks, my initial week might be something like this:

Week 1: Two 3-4km runs (~7km/4.5miles)
Week 2: Two 4km and 5km (13km/8miles & 86% weekly distance increase)
Week 3: Two 5km and 6km (16km/10miles & 23% weekly distance increase)
Week 4: 5km, 6km and 8km (19km/12miles & 19% weekly distance increase)

After that , I'll raise the distances roughly 10-15% per week and move toward proportions of about 18%, 34% and 48% for those 3 runs. If I add more runs they'll probably be the same distance as the existing shortest one.
I always allow recovery days between runs to allow for unaccustomed muscles, joints & tendons. There's always some imbalances and tightness when re-starting. A little stretching after a cycling warmup on the days in between seems to work well to quell those and they soon subside. I might be a bit more aggressive if I'd only been off for 4-7 weeks. If this is a return after several years as in your case, rather than weeks or months, and if you had pain before, I'd start even shorter with maybe just 1km or so on the first run. Maybe even make it a 2x500m or 3x400m at an easy to moderate pace with a short walk in between so you can check you're okay, remember how it feels and find a rhythm/technique.
I think your first couple of runs might benefit from slightly higher than easy pace but for very short intervals. At a very slow pace it can be easy to drop into poor form, especially when you're no longer familiar with running. I think there's some merit to re-establishing your technique with a few short intervals (moderate, not hard!) before slowing down to an easy pace just to try and avoid incorporating bad habits from the start.

I rarely run more than 3 times a week, which I know is less than most and after the first few weeks I absolutely recognise that there are many ways to do things but for the first month I really can't see it being advisable to ramp up to 25miles (40km) per week. I'm sure it's possible but to my mind that's a very aggressive schedule.
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
For someone like you.....at your current weight and with swimming background.....

right now...i think just getting back to the stress of running is your first step. find some grass field or soft surface and just enjoy getting out there very very slow. your issue isnt your engine but the legs not ready to take the load/stress/abuse. So you need to hold back.... a few months of slow but consistant running would do wonder!

Jason, I echo what everyone is saying. One more thing you can do if you have access to a treadmill. Steep incline walking getting up onto your toes for the push off. Something like 3 mph 15% grade. Do that every day for 10-15 min alternating between 5% grade and 15% every 60 seconds or so. If you can add some light rope skipping (like sets of 30-60 seconds) that would be great "base work" too.
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:

right now...i think just getting back to the stress of running is your first step. find some grass field or soft surface and just enjoy getting out there very very slow. your issue isnt your engine but the legs not ready to take the load/stress/abuse. So you need to hold back.... a few months of slow but consistent running would do wonder!

I am in a similar position.

In October, I re-injured a knee and had surgery in January. I finally received clearance from my doc to start running a few weeks ago. I tried to stay in shape and used the elliptical quite a bit during my downtime. When I got back to running, I started on the treadmill and only for 10 minutes at a time. Well, after nearly 6 months of not running, I busted out a 6 minute mile (WAY too fast for me, even when I'm in run shape). No big deal I thought. I was completely warmed up, flat treadmill, only 10 minutes etc. I did that a few times and was feeling pretty good about myself. However, when I went out for [only] a 30-min-ish run in my hilly neighborhood, I nearly died. I realized how badly out of "run shape" I am. It's been a struggle ever since. The last few days, I decided to try to go back to doing some HR zone running. I picked zone 3 (out of the blue) and ran for 20' on the treadmill in that zone. It was impossibly slow and so so frustrating. My thinking is that this is probably my reality to getting back. I don't know if Zone 3 is the "correct" zone, but for me it was very easy and enjoyable (apart from feeling like I was just barely jogging) and I can easily hold a conversation at that pace.

I'm on a similar journey. It's slow and frustrating. I've never been a natural runner, but hadn't quite anticipated it being this hard (which is really foolish, because it totally makes sense).
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Keep it ALL EASY effort. Like literally being able to hold a short conversation easy.

And run 2-3 miles per day - shoot for more days of running rather than more volume per run.

Since you haven't run hard for quite awhile, err on the safe side and take a good 3-4 weeks to establish run volume of at least 25mpw. Ideally, you'd get to 30+mpw before starting to run faster. The 10% rule should work fine if in doubt, but at these low volumes, you can ramp up faster (by adding more days of running before miles per run) if you're feeling fine.

And whatever you do, do NOT go all-out on any of your runs. With your big cardio engine from swimming, you'll strain something in your legs really fast and sideline yourself for 4-8 weeks right off the bat.

I'd keep swimming for your 'real' workouts for now. You'll be frustrated with how wussy the run workouts are compared to your swim hammerfests, and it's really important for you to not apply your swim hammerfest mentality to running at this early point where your muscles and tendons will just get torn and strained.

That's what I need to hear. My natural tendency is to go hard, because that's fun, and I ignore warning signs (in the pool that's a sign that you are getting started). Then I get injured and can barely walk for 2 weeks...

I've tried re-starting a couple of times since I stopped running in '08. but each time it's ended like that...

I've occasionally taken several weeks off running out of season and just cycled. When I get back to running say after 8 weeks, my initial week might be something like this:

After that , I'll raise the distances roughly 10-15% per week and move toward proportions of about 18%, 34% and 48% for those 3 runs. If I add more runs they'll probably be the same distance as the existing shortest one.
I always allow recovery days between runs to allow for unaccustomed muscles, joints & tendons. There's always some imbalances and tightness when re-starting. A little stretching after a cycling warmup on the days in between seems to work well to quell those and they soon subside. I might be a bit more aggressive if I'd only been off for 4-7 weeks. If this is a return after several years as in your case, rather than weeks or months, and if you had pain before, I'd start even shorter with maybe just 1km or so on the first run. Maybe even make it a 2x500m or 3x400m at an easy to moderate pace with a short walk in between so you can check you're okay, remember how it feels and find a rhythm/technique.
I think your first couple of runs might benefit from slightly higher than easy pace but for very short intervals. At a very slow pace it can be easy to drop into poor form, especially when you're no longer familiar with running. I think there's some merit to re-establishing your technique with a few short intervals (moderate, not hard!) before slowing down to an easy pace just to try and avoid incorporating bad habits from the start.

I rarely run more than 3 times a week, which I know is less than most and after the first few weeks I absolutely recognise that there are many ways to do things but for the first month I really can't see it being advisable to ramp up to 25miles (40km) per week. I'm sure it's possible but to my mind that's a very aggressive schedule.

Building to 25mpw of easy running over 3-4 weeks is NOT an aggressive schedule.

Note that the key is to run as many times as you can in a week, keeping all the runs 3, max 4miles in length.

If you try and do it on a 3 run/wk schedule like you are doing, you have to run 7-8 miles per run, which yes, will be a setup for an overuse injury. However, at 3mi/run, you will feel any impending overuse injuries before they happen, and you can pull back the training as needed before you get injured.

Also note that it is REALLY hard to build run volume on 3 runs per week, for the volume limitations above. Sure, if 3 runs/wk of 2-3mi each is all you can handle, start there, but I suspect Jason will be a lot better than that - he should go for the 6-7 runs per week of short distance and see where he stands.

I actually bet if he actually commits to doing this, he'll EASILY be at 30mpw in 4 weeks without injury if he does it with all easy miles, with 7 runs per week.
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like how much faith you have in me, but I think I'll take it slower than that to build up. I am very injury prone when it comes to running. By injury, it typically isn't pulled tendons and things like that, it is chronic pain to the point that I can't walk up (and especially not down) stairs...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how much my experience is helpful, but here it is.

I'm about 8 or 9 years removed from racing/training (was late 30's at the time). 70.3's and did one full. My background was swimming but I because a somewhat decent runner in my late 30's (3:30 IM run, 35ish open 10k). I had a tendency to overtrain and ran way too fast all the time in training.

Fast forward to last year. I was 46, about 20 lbs overweight.

I joined Orange Theory in the winter as I thought it would give me something I'd do consistently, protected me from the Canadian winter, and had a run focus. It was also the closest gym to my home.

It took time, but after about 2 months I was back down to 160. Ran outside through the summer a bit (longest run of 1:30). Got on my bike late summer just for fun. I'm nothing like I used to be but ran an 18min 5k not long ago so it's not horrible for being 47.

I go to OTF between 3 and 5 times a week depending upon the weather and how much I run/ride outside. All my speedwork is done on the treadmill at OTF. So when I'm at OTF I get in 3-4 miles of running, some rowing, and about 20 minutes of strength work.

I'm not training for anything. Right now just doing all of this for fun and to feel healthy. Allows me to get out with some of my friends who are still racing for rides, runs, etc.

What I found:

- my legs break down way faster than they used to but I can build up the mileage if I do it slowly over many weeks. (So I've dealt with sore legs more than I ever recall when I was younger)

- my recovery is so slow

- I can't push the pace like I used to in "training" as I just can't handle the stress/load (I actually think this is a good thing)

- I think the treadmill has been helpful in keeping my legs from being beat up too badly as I've gained fitness

- my bad days (where I'm really tired and/or sore) are really bad. I've learned to accept this and adjust accordingly vs trying to blow my brains out (I'm also getting smarter about spacing things out and I pay way more attention to my HR when I'm running so I'm not running to fast)

- the fitness I gained through running/rowing/strength at OTF translated to the bike really quickly when I did jump on late last year. I would ride with the local group and after only riding for a few weeks could hang with the second group most of the time

So for me getting back into shape required me to go very slowly. Like anything athletic it's also consistency that pays off over time. I just went at whatever pace/effort my body could handle in order to get me through 3 workouts a week. Once that was more doable I'd either add another day or I'd begin to increase my pace/effort. No matter what - I would throw out pace/effort/quality if I needed to in order to just get into the gym and move my legs.

I'll also say that learning to exercise and build fitness without a focus on racing and results has been a real blessing. When I was younger I only did it because I was competitive and was looking for results. Now I'm doing it because I love the feeling, the people I'm around, the lifestyle, etc.

Greg
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
jonnyo wrote:

right now...i think just getting back to the stress of running is your first step. find some grass field or soft surface and just enjoy getting out there very very slow. your issue isnt your engine but the legs not ready to take the load/stress/abuse. So you need to hold back.... a few months of slow but consistent running would do wonder!

I am in a similar position.

..a 30-min-ish run in my hilly neighborhood, I nearly died. I realized how badly out of "run shape" I am. It's been a struggle ever since. The last few days, I decided to try to go back to doing some HR zone running. I picked zone 3 (out of the blue) and ran for 20' on the treadmill in that zone. It was impossibly slow and so so frustrating. My thinking is that this is probably my reality to getting back. I don't know if Zone 3 is the "correct" zone, but for me it was very easy and enjoyable (apart from feeling like I was just barely jogging) and I can easily hold a conversation at that pace.

I'm on a similar journey. It's slow and frustrating. I've never been a natural runner, but hadn't quite anticipated it being this hard (which is really foolish, because it totally makes sense).

Have a look at your stride rate, take smaller steps and stand proud = efficiency. On a tip from a buddy, I did a check and found I was only at 165/min. So shortened & sped my legs up - felt really stupid, like a pitter-patter at first. But found that my comfort level has gone up a lot. I just keep a very fast stride rate all times, very short for slow, slowly extend the legs for speed but always push the cadence for turnover.

I feel my top speed has gone up too. I did a first benchmark and was running pretty well. Starting to feel a glimmer of the sprint speed I had years ago (i'm 57).

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Note that the key is to run as many times as you can in a week, keeping all the runs 3, max 4miles in length.

If you try and do it on a 3 run/wk schedule like you are doing, you have to run 7-8 miles per run, which yes, will be a setup for an overuse injury. However, at 3mi/run, you will feel any impending overuse injuries before they happen, and you can pull back the training as needed before you get injured.

Also note that it is REALLY hard to build run volume on 3 runs per week, for the volume limitations above. Sure, if 3 runs/wk of 2-3mi each is all you can handle, start there, but I suspect Jason will be a lot better than that - he should go for the 6-7 runs per week of short distance and see where he stands.

I actually bet if he actually commits to doing this, he'll EASILY be at 30mpw in 4 weeks without injury if he does it with all easy miles, with 7 runs per week.
I don't know Jason but from what he's said, and for someone who's been away for running for a prolonged period, I can't agree.

I realise you're suggesting 6-7 runs a week but even so, if they're all equal distance that's 4.2 miles per run with 6 runs or 3.6 miles per run with 7 runs to reach 25 miles/wk. If you were to do some longer and some shorter, you'll most likely end up with runs in excess of 6 miles. I'm not suggesting cramming more miles into fewer runs as you seem to think. I'm suggesting similar or perhaps shorter distances and fewer of them, initially. As I said in my post, once you're able to run comfortably again there's lots of options and greater run frequency is an absolutely sensible suggestion. I'm not criticising that route in any way. But I don't see how a plan to go from zero to 25 miles per week in 4 weeks is not risky when the guy has been out of running for years and was injury prone when he did run.

Can you outline how this schedule would develop over the 4 weeks? How many runs and of what distances each of the 4 weeks? Are you suggesting 6-7 runs per week from day one or building number of runs along with distance over the 4 weeks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
lightheir wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
lightheir wrote:

I don't know Jason but from what he's said, and for someone who's been away for running for a prolonged period, I can't agree.

I realise you're suggesting 6-7 runs a week but even so, if they're all equal distance that's 4.2 miles per run with 6 runs or 3.6 miles per run with 7 runs to reach 25 miles/wk. If you were to do some longer and some shorter, you'll most likely end up with runs in excess of 6 miles. I'm not suggesting cramming more miles into fewer runs as you seem to think. I'm suggesting similar or perhaps shorter distances and fewer of them, initially. As I said in my post, once you're able to run comfortably again there's lots of options and greater run frequency is an absolutely sensible suggestion. I'm not criticising that route in any way. But I don't see how a plan to go from zero to 25 miles per week in 4 weeks is not risky when the guy has been out of running for years and was injury prone when he did run.

Can you outline how this schedule would develop over the 4 weeks? How many runs and of what distances each of the 4 weeks? Are you suggesting 6-7 runs per week from day one or building number of runs along with distance over the 4 weeks?
Remember - Jason is NOT a totally green, overweight, totally out of shape older guy.

He is a top nationally competitive AG swimmer, and he has run a 40min 10k in the past. Sure, he's been out of running for years (?) but he HAS run before, and pretty well - that muscle memory DOES stick around, just as it does for swimming, and comes back quick.

Point is, I'm not recommending EVERYONE who's totally out of running and/or has not run before do a 4-wk buildup to 25mpw. And sure, I don't even know if Jason can do it but my suspicion is high that he can.

And the buildup:
2 miles a day, super easy effort (even 12min/mile is fine), shoot for 5-7 days in his first week. Ease up and take a day off if he really feels it's too hard on his body. I'll bet he gets in 4 if not more days of running this week.

Next week - he will EASILY add 1-2 runs to get to 7 runs that week if he's got 4 the first week. Still 2 miles/run.

Week after that - the body wakes up and he's adding 3miles to a bunch of those runs.

And week after that, he's going 3-4 miles depending on how he feels.

I don't think anyone can give more specifics than that. The most important thing though, is that at 2-3 miles per run at easy conversational pace, he will definitely be able to pull back before he gets an injury that sets him back from the buildup.

I also doubt it'll be a linear progression as I suggested - once his legs 'wake up' and acclimate to the minimal volume, it'll be a faster rampup to 'real' running speed and volume (which is when he needs to start thinking of a structured plan to avoid injury when he's going hard and/or long on the run.)

Also note that I'm assuming Jason isn't biking 100+mpw or something like a significant beat-down bike load for him. In fact, I'm not assuming he's biking at all based on what I know of him right now (which isnt much!) I do think he can handle the run + swim combo given how good he is at swimming. For an AGer who's biking hard, 25mpw of easy running added on top is a significant load. Without that significant cycling load, 25mpw of running alone broken up is pretty easy to do. My wife is a sporadic nonracing runner, def NOT talented whatsoever at running, and SHE can go out and start up at 20mpw pretty much immediately without injury. (She runs 14-16min/mile, which is her happy pace!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I was planning on starting last night, but that didn't happen. Raining.

I don't mind running in the rain, but I didn't want to get into that on the first day. I'll go today.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I haven't tried that approach, sounds optimistic to me but he can always give it a try and see. My main worry is that while muscle adapts and heals quickly, tendons, ligaments and bones do not. I believe there is enough adaptation needed after a long lay-off that it's wise not to risk too much wear and tear in the first several weeks. Perhaps I'm being more cautious than necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's usually not my tendons and joints that suffer, it is the muscle itself.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Well that's probably a positive!

Whatever way you go, best of luck getting back to running. I hope it goes well and you enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

The muscle is the fastest to recover. Even more evidence that you'll be fine.

That 'deep muscle ache' you get from running is a sign you are doing it right. Of course, this is moderation - if youre pounding yourself into the ground, thats overtraining, but that's pretty tough (?impossible) to do at <25mpw.

Remember that running has the impact adaptation aspect that cycling and swimming don't. Swimming (and cycling) can be crushingly hard, but I never get the same type of deep muscle ache/deadleg that I get from running a ton of miles including some fast ones in swim/bike.

The key is not to immediately give up on running once you get that achy leg muscle feeling. Pull it back if you have to for a day or two, and once it's improving, get right out there again. I run on significant 'dead legs' pretty much continuously at my current 80+mpw regimen - there isn't a single full off day (I run 7 days per week) and recovery days are at least 8 miles. Seriously, the best I ever feel all week is 7/10, and usually 4-6 of 10. I don't run on fresh legs until the taper/race when I'm in this sort of a build (16+ wks and counting)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like I'm delaying my return to the pavement for a little longer. A week ago I slipped on the stairs and jammed my toes pretty hard, I thought it would be better by now but it's still bugging me. Plus I strained something in my neck last night.

Neither is major, but I'll hold off for a couple more days.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next