Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
getting re-started with running - advice...
Quote | Reply
Just saw DD's half assed challenge thread, which got me thinking....

background:

I'm not a great runner. I managed to get down to a hair over 40min 10k and a 5:15 ish road mile at age 37 (back in 2008) Haven't run much since then, but time is more limited now. I got down to 175lbs, which is very light for me...

I tend to get very sore legs from running. my back isn't what it used to be either. current weight is about 200.

Problem:

how little running to start with is too little, and how slowly should I ramp up the volume? when I did it 10 years ago, I followed the 10% per week rule, but that seemed like a lot.

I'm not interested in long distance stuff. Always preferred sprint distance, even when I was in good shape for HIM and Olympic distance.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start with a walk and see how you feel.
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can walk just fine....

I have a tendency to overdo things, which leads to me getting injured or in chronic pain. I need someone to tell me it's OK to take things easier....

On a related note, do runners legs hurt all the time? Because mine did when I was running....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try one of the couch to 5k apps at first. Just ease into it. I don't think you can "start with too little."
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't even think of that. Thanks...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a running rebirth this past fall/winter. I was about 12-15lbs over race weight, and barely running.

The key for me was slowing way down relative to my expectations for pace. A few years ago in high school, running in a group meant someone felt good every day and we'd race everything. Now, I'm faster than I was then, and I've got no issues with running 8-9min miles if I'm tired or building up mileage.

Start out with a ton of small, 20min very easy runs. My first weeks building up were pretty much 3x20' very easy, maybe with some short striders, 1x30' same thing, a 45' run with some "intervals" (ie maybe 8-10x1' fast/1' ez), then a 60' run with a progression built in.

Get as comfortable as possible with the frequency, then increase each run by 5' in maybe 3-4 weeks. Volume through frequency.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abrown wrote:
I had a running rebirth this past fall/winter. I was about 12-15lbs over race weight, and barely running.

The key for me was slowing way down relative to my expectations for pace. A few years ago in high school, running in a group meant someone felt good every day and we'd race everything. Now, I'm faster than I was then, and I've got no issues with running 8-9min miles if I'm tired or building up mileage.

Start out with a ton of small, 20min very easy runs. My first weeks building up were pretty much 3x20' very easy, maybe with some short striders, 1x30' same thing, a 45' run with some "intervals" (ie maybe 8-10x1' fast/1' ez), then a 60' run with a progression built in.

Get as comfortable as possible with the frequency, then increase each run by 5' in maybe 3-4 weeks. Volume through frequency.

You're also a young pup. Takes a little longer for me to recover these days....

even 20 mins is a lot if I expect to be able to walk the next morning.

I just downloaded the Fitness22 5K runner app to my phone. I'll see how that works out and report back...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
run often, run short.

it's probably better to do 8-10 10min runs per week vs 4-5 30min runs, at least at first.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks DD,

I'll try out this app thingy for a week or 2 (at least). Not that I think it is better than what you are saying, I'm just curious. If I don't like it, I'll switch to the DD plan....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not too complicated for you.

Keep it ALL EASY effort. Like literally being able to hold a short conversation easy.

And run 2-3 miles per day - shoot for more days of running rather than more volume per run.

Since you haven't run hard for quite awhile, err on the safe side and take a good 3-4 weeks to establish run volume of at least 25mpw. Ideally, you'd get to 30+mpw before starting to run faster. The 10% rule should work fine if in doubt, but at these low volumes, you can ramp up faster (by adding more days of running before miles per run) if you're feeling fine.

And whatever you do, do NOT go all-out on any of your runs. With your big cardio engine from swimming, you'll strain something in your legs really fast and sideline yourself for 4-8 weeks right off the bat.

I'd keep swimming for your 'real' workouts for now. You'll be frustrated with how wussy the run workouts are compared to your swim hammerfests, and it's really important for you to not apply your swim hammerfest mentality to running at this early point where your muscles and tendons will just get torn and strained.
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
It's not too complicated for you.

Keep it ALL EASY effort. Like literally being able to hold a short conversation easy.

And run 2-3 miles per day - shoot for more days of running rather than more volume per run.

Since you haven't run hard for quite awhile, err on the safe side and take a good 3-4 weeks to establish run volume of at least 25mpw. Ideally, you'd get to 30+mpw before starting to run faster. The 10% rule should work fine if in doubt, but at these low volumes, you can ramp up faster (by adding more days of running before miles per run) if you're feeling fine.

And whatever you do, do NOT go all-out on any of your runs. With your big cardio engine from swimming, you'll strain something in your legs really fast and sideline yourself for 4-8 weeks right off the bat.

I'd keep swimming for your 'real' workouts for now. You'll be frustrated with how wussy the run workouts are compared to your swim hammerfests, and it's really important for you to not apply your swim hammerfest mentality to running at this early point where your muscles and tendons will just get torn and strained.

That's what I need to hear. My natural tendency is to go hard, because that's fun, and I ignore warning signs (in the pool that's a sign that you are getting started). Then I get injured and can barely walk for 2 weeks...

I've tried re-starting a couple of times since I stopped running in '08. but each time it's ended like that...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 5, 17 8:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was 200 lbs 18 months ago, when I reintroduced myself to intentioned weight-bearing activity (walking/running for exercise vs. normal daily life). I'm an injury prone runner. What worked for me is a run/walk plan slowing increasing the %run by weeks. I agree that 10% per week is aggressive when you are starting out...and, is probably aggressive for most any injury prone runner. I spent 12 weeks working from brisk-paced walking, going through run/walk mode, and working up to continuous running. My rough outline, by week, was:

1. Walk ~1hr every day at a brisk pace.
2. Walk ~1hr every day at a brisk pace.
3. 3x per week: within each 1 hr walk: jog 30s, walk 4:30 for 30 minutes. Ie, Jog 6x0:30(on 5:00), 30:00 walk.
4. repeat week 3.
Weeks 5-10, gradually increase the jog/decrease the walk by 15-30 seconds each week.
Weeks 11-12, increase by 1:00 each week.

By week 12 you should be at 4:00 - 4:30 jog on a 5:00 leave. In week 13 you can either "go for it" and just drop the walk interval, or begin extending the jog-interval on fixed 30s rest. I opted for the former...

I then began extending the 30min run by 10% every 2 weeks (33min, 33min, 36min, 36min, 40min, 40min, etc).

Once I completed 2 weeks of (3x) 40min, I added a day and dropped back to 30min each. So, (4x) 30min.

Once you are at 4x per week, you have to run back-to-back days. I progressed that, by working on different off-day patterns: off-RUN-off-RUN-RUN-off-RUN. off-RUN-RUN-off-off-RUN-RUN. off-RUN-RUN-RUN-off-off-RUN. off-RUN-RUN-RUN-RUN-off-off. While working on running multiple consecutive days, I held the volume constant. Once I could run 4x with no off-days...I began extending the volume 10% per 2 weeks.

Once my weekly volume was at 150 minutes (4x37ish)...I again divided down to 5x runs per week at 30minutes. Again following the spreading the recovery days around game for a few weeks, then boosting the volume.

Note: I started walking at a brisk pace as part of my weight-reduction program when I weighed 205. Over the course of 9 months I lost 50 lbs. I started the run/walk plan when I was down at around 165-170. So, I had several months of weight bearing activity before I started "jogging".

The above may be more conservative than you are capable of. I'm 48 yo (so, limited recovery vs. someone younger), and have always been pretty prone to overuse injuries in the knee, ankle, and feet. The above worked for me---but, I do NOT think that **I** could have progressed faster (from a connective tissue point of view). Consider your own joint health and overuse injury history, and modify the rate of progression as you feel appropriate.
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the contribution, appreciate it.

I walk the dog 3-4 times per week at a reasonably brisk pace over a hilly route, sometimes pushing the stroller. I think going straight to run-walk will work.

I'm 46.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Copy that. Just setting the baseline that I started from as a frame of reference.

FWIW, the above is a modified version of a couch-to-5k program that my daughter did ages (yikes 20 years!) ago. It worked for her (as a total noob to running), so I've kept it around for times when I stop/restart running. I just modify the rate of progression based on the length of time-off. Its a lot more complicated to type out than it is in-practice.

I'm a structured interval type...so, I like having a detailed outline of a plan. Knowing that I have a progression that has a defined "successful" end point, makes it easier for me mentally to relax and do the work as-prescribed and resist the tendancy to go that little-bit extra that is the typical type A athlete desire (31 minutes instead of 30, 43 minutes instead of 40, etc... :-).
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Apr 5, 17 9:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 61, just getting started again. Foot injury from pushing the pace too hard at IM Wis in 2015. I agree with the run walk but you can step it up quite a bit. Warm up walk 10 minutes then jog 30 sec, walk 30 seconds. If it's too much, back it down to jog 20, walk 40. Repeat this for 20 minutes then cool down walk for 10 minutes. Each week increase the jog 5 seconds and decrease the walk 5 seconds. In 6-7 weeks you'll be jogging straight through. Thereafter, increase no more than 10% a week and let Barry P become your friend.
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roubaixman wrote:
I'm 61, just getting started again. Foot injury from pushing the pace too hard at IM Wis in 2015. I agree with the run walk but you can step it up quite a bit. Warm up walk 10 minutes then jog 30 sec, walk 30 seconds. If it's too much, back it down to jog 20, walk 40. Repeat this for 20 minutes then cool down walk for 10 minutes. Each week increase the jog 5 seconds and decrease the walk 5 seconds. In 6-7 weeks you'll be jogging straight through. Thereafter, increase no more than 10% a week and let Barry P become your friend.

Thanks!

My issue is that I don't trust myself to know if it is too much. I'm an idiot and will push through.

When my wife and I first started dating, we went out and played tennis. I rolled my ankle (heard a little crack) and then continued to keep playing for an hour (she thinks it was because I was trying to impress her, but honestly, it didn't bother me at the time). Later that night it swelled to the point that I couldn't put on shoes the next morning.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
My issue is that I don't trust myself to know if it is too much. I'm an idiot and will push through.

When my wife and I first started dating...

I was worried where that was going to go after the opening pre-amble....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really curious how this goes for you because I'm in the same boat.
Primarily a swimmer, have not run (or completed a tri) since 2009 due to injuries.
Weight is up to 200 (just started back up from a long break/bender since Thanksgiving), working to get back down to 180...175 would be light for me too.
I'm also 42.

I'll probably shoot you a pm from time to time to see how you're progressing and pick your brain...that is, if you don't mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you can run too slow these first 4 to 6 weeks.

If you are looking at running for the long term, do the BarryP plan (search the forum) and start with 5 to 10 minute runs every day. Really, really slow. Add a minute or two, then three to five to each run per week. Once you get to 30 minute runs, start upping your long run and two mid distance runs and keep the others at 30 minutes.

I was in the same position as you were, including running times, without all the weight gain. I took the extra careful approach. I started with 5 minutes runs and would then briskly walk the rest of my 3 mile loop. The next week 6 minutes, then 7, then 8, then 10 minutes and so on. I had the cardio system from cycling, but had no running miles for over 5 years. I wanted my hips, knees, ankles, and feet to catch up to my heart and lungs. Being over 40, I didn't want to rush things.

Before you know it, you will be running 30 to 40 miles a week and in a position to really adjust your training based on new goals.

If you just want to do a 5k again, follow a couch to 5k plan.
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [TashaSkippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't think you can run too slow these first 4 to 6 weeks.

I don't think you can run too slow these first 40 to 60 weeks.

Fixed that for you since most triathletes (still) tend to run too fast when just running and not fast enough when running fast.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was (am) in the same predicament. I'm 49 now, 15 plus years out of the Army, and after a stint in some semi pro football, I let my weight balloon up to about 310-315. I started walking out the treadmill, using Hoka Bondi 4s, for about 30 mins, 3x per week at a 3-4% incline and about 3-3.5 mph. As that got easier, and I monitored my heart rate and started eating right, I upped it to some intervals, 5 min warm up then 1 min at 5.5 mph followed by 2 mins at 3.7. Incline seemed to ease knee pain (had two surgeries on right knee, and right ankle was reconstructed in military) and 8 months later I have done my first tri and did a 5k beach run in 32:40. Not great, but weight is down to 242 and intervals are up to about 3 run and 2 rest, still inclined, just a little quicker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

how little running to start with is too little

There is no such thing.

When coming back from being depressingly way out of shape (speaking about myself), I follow "one stupid rule" that I learned from an interview of Kenny Souza: 5 minute rule.

Run at least 5 days a week for at least 5 minutes.

Usually the runs end up being longer.

And then you can build from there. The 5-minute thing just guarantees you get out the door. Which is by far the most important thing.
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Run at least 5 days a week for at least 5 minutes.

Usually the runs end up being longer.

And then you can build from there. The 5-minute thing just guarantees you get out the door. Which is by far the most important thing.

So true. I too am overweight/out of shape. Working on consistency is easier when I do less per workout.

Also - get a dog. The only reason I went out yesterday was her excitement everytime I stood up/got near the door.

Too the OP - keep checking in, I'd like to hear how it's going for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a garmin or similar watch that you set to run at a specific pace and when you go over it - it beeps or vibrates. Will keep you honest and not over cook.........

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply

Prev Next