Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: You tire choice: explain this [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of tire performance, any idea why all the tests done at the below link showed lower rolling resistance at higher pressures, like 120 psi? I thought the new trend was that lower pressures like 90 psi were faster.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...d-prix-4000s-ii-2014
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GP 4000S II for reasons stated above. Low rr, very well proven, available everywhere, very durable and i dont have the extra dollars to buy more expensive tires.

TG said something in another thread (i think the wetsuit one) about how people sometimes get caught uo in the "must have latest greatest" and abandon what works well for no good reason.

Show me a tire that is 5+w faster combined between aero and rr, and lasts two seasons of racing at the same price point, and I'll switch. Untill then? Why leave a good, proven thing?
Quote Reply
Re: You tire choice: explain this [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"I've read that the new Michelin Power Competition may be as good as the venerable Conti GP 40002 S's in all those key tire metrics."

no. the michelin is better. it's the same in weight and puncture resistance, and it rolls a few watts faster (2 to 4 per pair) depending on speed. and the turbo cotton is better yet. but then there's aerodynamics, and i don't have good data on all these tires. i hear the 4000II S makes up for some of its Crr deficit with its aerodynamics but i haven't seen aero data on all the tires that outroll the 4000II S. i was reading tom anhalt's blog posts last night on his time at the specialized tunnel and it seems the turbo cottons are pretty good aerodynamically as well.

which is why i'm asking, because i have nothing against conti, i just think the market share is quite imbalanced based on the actual demonstrated function of these tires.

i did already recognize the two nice things about the conti and the answers here are bearing out my preconceptions: price and the ability to easily obtain them. still, on balance, if i didn't mind spending a few extra dollars per tire, and if performance was my metric, i honestly don't know that i'd choose the 4000S II.

It's because even after all of the new tires coming out, the Conti GP4000S is STILL a tough tire to beat when taking into account the total combination of aerodynamics (even if it was "accidental excellence"), rolling resistance, durability, availability AND price.

Yes, there are other tires that can give better performance in some of those categories, but they typically come with trade-offs in one or more of the others. It's up to the user to determine which of those categories mean the most to them and if they want to deal with, or mitigate the effects of the drawbacks. It's my experience though, that the VAST majority of cyclists and triathletes really don't want to think too much about it, and really are looking for "the answer". When a person like that asks me "what should I use?", it typically comes down to "it's tough to go wrong with a GP4000S with a latex tube inside".

Personally, I TT on 23C Conti Supersonics, and road race on Turbo Cottons. My TT tire choice is mostly because I'm less "flat averse" than the typical triathlete, and I want the best combo of Crr and aerodynamics for my personal race wheels. The road race choice is because I've found that the TCs are actually more durable than they are given credit for...and, life is too short to ride crappy riding tires :-) If the 23C SuperSonics didn't exist, I'd most likely TT on Turbo Cottons as well...although, it appears the SS tires just recently went through a re-working of their construction, so I might have to re-evaluate the newer models.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: You tire choice: explain this [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I have used Conti clinchers and tubs for 20 years or so. Quality, durability, and price range make them a good choice. Not saying that other tires are bad. Just that I average a flat much less frequently with the Conti tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it's the Cont 4000s. I've used them both for my 700 wheels and my 650 wheels. Maybe it was marketing at first that got me started with them. After that I tend to not stray from what works for me for any of my equipment. I become loyal to whatever serves me well. And quite simply, the 4000s gets me tons of miles with very little trouble. I very well could be missing out on a better option. But why risk it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Speaking of tire performance, any idea why all the tests done at the below link showed lower rolling resistance at higher pressures, like 120 psi? I thought the new trend was that lower pressures like 90 psi were faster.

Because that test setup doesn't include the "suspension losses", or what Josh Poertner termed "impedance" losses of an entire bike + rider system. It's ONLY measuring the effects of tire pressure on the tire alone, not the rest of the system. Josh explains that here:

https://silca.cc/...y-and-previous-works

https://silca.cc/...stance-and-impedance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:

Also...don't forget that he tests clinchers with butyl tubes. Just keep that in mind when comparing to his tubeless results ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: You tire choice: explain this [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Personally, I TT on 23C Conti Supersonics, and road race on Turbo Cottons."

i don't want anybody to misunderstand my question or point here. i agree with you that the 4000S II is a great value all things considered. i just question whether it's worth a 71 percent market share.

especially because the most knowledgeable tire person on the forum is not using that tire.

again, nothing against that tire. just, it's my guess that the issue is that the 4000S II came out in 2013, and at that time the tire was a world beater, and it gained a reputation during 2013, 2014, and that reputation has endured. but it's 2017 and the turbo cotton (as just one example) wasn't around or well known at that time, and the michelin power competition (as another example) didn't come out until 2016.

i don't think anybody who bought a 4000S II today could be faulted for doing so. but i don't think the facts support a 70 percent market share. (btw, i also much admire the turbo cotton, tho i find it quite a wide tire, and even the 24mm barely fits inside the chain stays of my c'dale supersix evo.)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

GP4K's for me.

1. They get consistent good reviews for durability, rolling resistance, aero, etc.

2. They have served me very well. Went to a week long training camp in Cali with some friends, two worked at the LBS. They got all crazy on the newest, fastest, lightest, tires. Both of them went through 3 tires a piece and ended up on the equivalent of an armadillo tire for the last two days of the camp. I went with my old Conti's with 1,500 miles already on them and never had a single problem. I get 1-3 flats per year and it usually only happens when I wait too long to replace a tire.

Had some Zipp tires, they failed to impress. Didn't last long at all, weren't any faster, didn't ride any better and were much more expensive.

I keep an eye out and when I see the Conti's for $30 I buy a pair and hold on to them. I'm not going to pay double for a tire that might be 2-4 watts faster and isn't as proven.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several models of Contis have proven through controlled third-party testing to be at or near the top of the clincher list in terms of rolling resistance and aerodynamics. The GP4ks is a great compromise between high performance and reliability with it's very good crr, very good aero properties, and Vectran puncture belt. You sacrifice a bit of crr for the puncture protection and slightly thicker tread. The Super Sonic is a slightly riskier option, although it's likely mostly theoretical - thinner tread and no puncture belt. Significantly better crr if you are willing to accept the additional risk. There is also the GP TT and Force/Attack in the mix and both use the fast rolling Black Chili compound. Pretty much something for everyone in the racing range from Conti.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it fair to compare a "relatively" everyman (hell they are *just* my training tires) gp4ksII to the Turbo Cotton, which is pretty much *just* a race tire? (I admit to not knowing much about the Michelin)

Personally, I'd say no

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So many choices out there. I would love to try a set of Turbo Cottons as everything I've read about them has been glowing. I'm just a bit concerned about their durability. Almost all of my rides take me onto a gravel section of road, and sometimes they're the focus of my ride. These are rides on my roadie (I know the survey was about try racing but now we're just talking tires...) and I have no interest swapping tires/wheels for a garden variety ride. I've had very good luck with my 4000S tires on unpaved roads, so again, still a no brainer. I'm lazy/apprehensive about giving a reasonably expensive tire a trial by fire like this and I suspect I'm not alone.

Inertia is powerful, I am not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
especially because the most knowledgeable tire person on the forum is not using that tire.

But, does your forum consist primarily of bike racers or of triathletes? What Tom wants from his tires is different (for 90% of my racing) than what I want from my tires.

Quote:
again, nothing against that tire. just, it's my guess that the issue is that the 4000S II came out in 2013, and at that time the tire was a world beater, and it gained a reputation during 2013, 2014, and that reputation has endured. but it's 2017 and the turbo cotton (as just one example) wasn't around or well known at that time, and the michelin power competition (as another example) didn't come out until 2016.

i don't think anybody who bought a 4000S II today could be faulted for doing so. but i don't think the facts support a 70 percent market share. (btw, i also much admire the turbo cotton, tho i find it quite a wide tire, and even the 24mm barely fits inside the chain stays of my c'dale supersix evo.)

I have ridden the SW TC for a bit on my regular road riding and like it quite a bit although it sustains cuts pretty easily. I don't really like Michelin although I couldn't tell you why; maybe it's because all of their tires seem difficult to install and LBS' margin on them (usually ordered through QBP/Hawley) isn't very good but I almost never used those. The Specialized lineup is really really good but sometimes the supply line spigot runs out; there have been long, long periods where the TC was essentially unavailable.
Quote Reply
Re: You tire choice: explain this [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and screw the notion of race vs training tires... I want the fastest/most comfortable tires that I can live with (cost and flats) on all my bikes at all times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the poll showed 71% used Conti, not necessarily the GP4ks specifically. Tom still TTs on Conti tires and I know there are a handful of others here that are partial to the SS as well - still Conti.

Slowman wrote:

i don't want anybody to misunderstand my question or point here. i agree with you that the 4000S II is a great value all things considered. i just question whether it's worth a 71 percent market share.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran GP4000s from 2011-2015. Switched to turbo cottons (for racing) in 2016. At $80 a tire, it was hard to swallow. I plan to run Conti SS 23mm in 2017.

My training tires though since 2011..... GP4000s. Fast yet durable.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

I think you should do a follow-up poll. "Ok Conti Users - which front tire are you using to race on" - GP4000SII, GP4000S, Supersonic, GP TT, Attack, Force. I say front because it could get to mismatched with front / rear. Maybe you could do two pools and do rear as well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent a lot of time researching tires about 4 years ago, and I think back then the Contis were up near the top of most lists, so I bought them. I haven't switched yet because I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest, so I didn't realise they have been outpaced by other tires.

On that note, where do I find the latest rankings - aero and Crr? Is there a thread or doc floating around on this lately?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
for the 71 out of 100 of you, which conti? and why?

Attack/Force, because of what I'd read on this forum about rolling resistance, overall performance etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
I bet a big part of it is availability. The 4000SII can be had in any LBS or mail order bike shop in the US. Michelin's, Turbo Cotton's, even Vittoria's, and especially Supersonics, you have to do a little looking around. So serious bike nerds like TG, TomA, jeffp etc (and myself) go with Supersonics or Turbo Cottons, but most people end up with GP4000s.

As an aside, I've tried the Michelin's and they roll great and last a long time. I also love Vittoria's, but haven't tried the graphene ones yet. I would road race on either of those, as well as Turbo Cottons. I use a GPSS front and Turbo Cotton rear for TT racing (including the odd Tri). These are all great options. I personally don't like GP4000s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Well...as I pointed out, I personally don't TT on the GP4K, but I'm still racing on Contis. So, as has been pointed out, the "depth of range" of the Conti line grouped near the top of the performance aspects probably contributes a great deal to that large percentage you see.

Slowman wrote:

You need to either run a slightly narrower internal-width rim, or get a new frame :-) Seriously though, I find they run pretty true to size, when mounted on a "normal" width rim (i.e. Mavic Open Pro).

Quote Reply
Re: You tire choice: explain this [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leegoocrap wrote:
Is it fair to compare a "relatively" everyman (hell they are *just* my training tires) gp4ksII to the Turbo Cotton, which is pretty much *just* a race tire? (I admit to not knowing much about the Michelin)

Personally, I'd say no

I would argue the TC isn't *just* a race tire...they're actually quite durable. I typically get >3K miles on the rear before it needs to be replaced, and I actually ran TCs in the Belgian Waffle Ride last spring with no issues from them.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ted%20tough#p5927348

Quote Reply
Re: You tire choice: explain this [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:
So many choices out there. I would love to try a set of Turbo Cottons as everything I've read about them has been glowing. I'm just a bit concerned about their durability. Almost all of my rides take me onto a gravel section of road, and sometimes they're the focus of my ride. These are rides on my roadie (I know the survey was about try racing but now we're just talking tires...) and I have no interest swapping tires/wheels for a garden variety ride. I've had very good luck with my 4000S tires on unpaved roads, so again, still a no brainer. I'm lazy/apprehensive about giving a reasonably expensive tire a trial by fire like this and I suspect I'm not alone.

Inertia is powerful, I am not.

See post 47 above :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won't argue with you on their durability (my own TC's are pretty durable I thought, although my own use is pretty much crits and a couple of TT's.) but despite that, I'd guess that your average person buying Turbo Cotton's isn't using them for Sunday coffee shop rides, at least nowhere near the same extent that the Conti's are used.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a sneaking suspicion that we'd be seeing those pics again...
Quote Reply

Prev Next