Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Xert Real-Time FTP Garmin Connect IQ App [GrahamK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrahamK wrote:
Armando. Is there a way to save the ftp result to Garmin connect along with the ride stats? I like to track it and I see ftp is a parameter tracked in Garmin connect. Thanks

Unfortunately, not at the moment. Tracking is only available with http://www.xertonline.com.

Armando Mastracci, Founder of Xert, an advanced data analytics and training platform. Blog, Podcasts
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time FTP Garmin Connect IQ App [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
Did a Zwift race today with the Xert app up and running. A few things to note before going into what the result of the app gave:

1) Last calculated FTP was 4 months ago in a traditional 20-min test: 330W. I've done a TON of hard training since then, with many workouts that I would think pushed that number up.
2) I raced Racine 70.3 10 days ago and have recovered really, really well since, and haven't run or swam at all -- 100% bike riding in those 10 days, so I was pretty primed for a good effort today.

Result: FTP of 355W. Spent 12 minutes 8 seconds at 380W AP, 380W NP. Power file for ride: TrainingPeaks

I think the app may be a tad higher than what I could sustain for 20 minutes, but probably only by 5-10W. Pretty awesome to see that FTP estimation in real-time. At around 8 minutes in when it passed my 330W FTP I had a huge surge in motivation to push that number up as high as possible.

I would say that 355W would be very close to your FTP. If you obeyed the FTP to 20 minute power 95% rule with your 380W effort, your Power Curve would look like:

https://www.xertonline.com/calculator?power_0=380&duration_0=728&power_1=&duration_1=&power_2=&duration_2=&action=calculate

Which estimates your FTP @350W. However, note that your 12:08 effort had some periods below FTP which would imply that you could sustain a slightly higher power for that duration if you paced it more evenly. Hence, FTP @350W is probably a bit low.

Thanks for your comments.

Armando Mastracci, Founder of Xert, an advanced data analytics and training platform. Blog, Podcasts
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time FTP Garmin Connect IQ App [baronbiosys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
baronbiosys wrote:
GrahamK wrote:
Armando. Is there a way to save the ftp result to Garmin connect along with the ride stats? I like to track it and I see ftp is a parameter tracked in Garmin connect. Thanks

Unfortunately, not at the moment. Tracking is only available with http://www.xertonline.com.

So the What's My FTP results are not saved anywhere?

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time FTP Garmin Connect IQ App [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmkizer wrote:
baronbiosys wrote:
GrahamK wrote:

I made the mistake of not checking the value just before I finished a hard ride and pushed the stop and save buttons a couple of days ago. Since I was running What's my FTP on the second screen which I hadn't had up I was disappointed not to be able to view the value after saving the ride. I suppose there's no work around for this?

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time FTP Garmin Connect IQ App [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmkizer wrote:
baronbiosys wrote:
GrahamK wrote:

As mentioned, you can track via Xert Online. It is a subscription-based service (our families keep demanding to be fed) but there are a host of other capabilities like structured workouts and the Xert Progression Management Chart to go beyond just measuring and managing your FTP. Do check it out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just returning with an update.

This past week I've:
- tested Pmax with a couple of sprint efforts at the track
- tested 2-min power, also at the track
- today did a "fill the right" ride with 2-hours at hard tempo (what I call MIET - moderate intensity endurance training). It's taxing and requires concentration.

These were not done for the sake of MMP curves or other models but rather because they were part of a plan I have to get enough fitness to do (and at least enjoy) a challenge ride next weekend.

Today's ride did indeed fill out the right of the MMP curve although the left part of the curve curve is still a bit step like.

Based on 2 hours at an average of 188W today (NP 204W), then my FTP is likely in the 200-205W range. From my experience of racing, a hard 2-hour NP at FTP is about right for me.

Xert has me at 208W, and WKO4 at 203W. That's not too bad. I still think 208W is a little generous but I'm not going to quibble over 5W.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time FTP Garmin Connect IQ App [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
Just returning with an update.

This past week I've:
- tested Pmax with a couple of sprint efforts at the track
- tested 2-min power, also at the track
- today did a "fill the right" ride with 2-hours at hard tempo (what I call MIET - moderate intensity endurance training). It's taxing and requires concentration.

These were not done for the sake of MMP curves or other models but rather because they were part of a plan I have to get enough fitness to do (and at least enjoy) a challenge ride next weekend.

Today's ride did indeed fill out the right of the MMP curve although the left part of the curve curve is still a bit step like.

Based on 2 hours at an average of 188W today (NP 204W), then my FTP is likely in the 200-205W range. From my experience of racing, a hard 2-hour NP at FTP is about right for me.

Xert has me at 208W, and WKO4 at 203W. That's not too bad. I still think 208W is a little generous but I'm not going to quibble over 5W.

If we look back to that breakthrough ride on July 18th, another way to explain the numbers is to use a signature of Peak Power=1229, High Intensity Energy=25, Threshold Power=203. If Xert had your Peak Power a bit higher, this would have been a more likely outcome of the extraction and we would some closer to your expectation. Xert will hone in on your numbers over time and look for small variations in the signature parameters. This breakthrough ride is an example. Since the ride has no MMP best efforts, it would not be part of any FTP regression using MMP. But with Xert, the ride stands out as if a spotlight was shone on it. It describes your fitness on that day. This is how Xert differs. The frequency and sensitivity to variations in fitness - not just to FTP but also to PP and HIE - allows unique, heightened visibility to how interventions are affecting the athlete's fitness. It is a powerful tool when in the hands of the coach or athlete that understands the principles.

Thanks for checking things out Alex and following up with your positive comments.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Armando.

My maximal 60-min NP for the ride told me it was a stand out already. It was 17W higher than for any previous ride in the current training "season". I've since come within a handful of NP watts of that day a couple of times which suggests it's not an outlier.

I think the Xert HIE is an overly generous estimate.

I'm still coming back to my fundamental question of what actionable intelligence am I getting from Xert that i don't already know? i.e. something useful that I don't already know or suggest doing something that I wouldn't already.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
Thanks Armando.

My maximal 60-min NP for the ride told me it was a stand out already. It was 17W higher than for any previous ride in the current training "season". I've since come within a handful of NP watts of that day a couple of times which suggests it's not an outlier.

I'm still coming back to my fundamental question of what actionable intelligence am I getting from Xert that i don't already know? i.e. something useful that I don't already know or suggest doing something that I wouldn't already.

Actionable intelligence depends on the practitioner. There are many, for example, that would argue that power data provides no actionable intelligence over heart-rate data. Someone that knows how to use a slide rule would say that a calculator provides no actionable intelligence. I think one would have to take into account the practitioner. Many feel quite comfortable and adept at using older methods and are skeptical of our newer methods. That's normal. But there are growing number of curious and adaptable folks out there that have found new ideas and approaches that they may have found to be more opaque or difficult to interpret using the older methods. Not everyone will get it right away though as the concepts are still new. In due time...

Last edited by: baronbiosys: Jul 30, 17 8:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
baronbiosys wrote:
AlexS wrote:
Thanks Armando.

Actionable intelligence depends on the practitioner. There are many, for example, that would argue that power data provides no actionable intelligence over heart-rate data. Someone that knows how to use a slide rule would say that a calculator provides no actionable intelligence. I think one would have to take into account the practitioner. Many feel quite comfortable and adept at using older methods and are skeptical of our newer methods. That's normal. But there are growing number of curious and adaptable folks out there that have found new ideas and approaches that they may have found to be more opaque or difficult to interpret using the older methods. Not everyone will get it right away though as the concepts are still new. In due time...
Hi Armando, I've read articles on its use so far and nothing stands out for me, which is why I ask.

I think you know my ability to analyse and that I have a deep knowledge of and an understanding and delivery of the practical application of power meter data. I've been around the block a few times with this stuff. I don't however ever think I know it all or there is nothing new to learn. That would be a folly.

So on the basis of someone not starting from scratch, I'm looking for advice on what practical actionable intel it provides that is also novel, or what it does that would make my coaching business operate better.

I ask because I'm not at this stage seeing it, so help me see. If it's essentially just telling me what i already know via my long experience and existing tools of the trade, or its not really going to make my life as a coach any easier, that's OK. It's then an option for those newer to power but nothing more or less than the other analytics options available.

In essence why should I spend my money to use it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:

I think you know my ability to analyse and that I have a deep knowledge of and an understanding and delivery of the practical application of power meter data. I've been around the block a few times with this stuff. I don't however ever think I know it all or there is nothing new to learn. That would be a folly.

Humility is a good thing to hold, but as far as those who share training information on the internet you and Ric know more than most and are rarely stumped on a question or issue. Just thought I would chime in and say thanks as I started learning how to train with a power meter years ago (about 2006) on a different forum and have always appreciated your contributions. Sadly I still don't know much in terms of training with power so please don't stop dropping nuggets of tips now and then. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time FTP Garmin Connect IQ App [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I always hope to learn more and happy to share.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is Xert's definition if FTP?

baronbiosys wrote:
TriowaCPA wrote:
Did a Zwift race today with the Xert app up and running. A few things to note before going into what the result of the app gave:

1) Last calculated FTP was 4 months ago in a traditional 20-min test: 330W. I've done a TON of hard training since then, with many workouts that I would think pushed that number up.
2) I raced Racine 70.3 10 days ago and have recovered really, really well since, and haven't run or swam at all -- 100% bike riding in those 10 days, so I was pretty primed for a good effort today.

Result: FTP of 355W. Spent 12 minutes 8 seconds at 380W AP, 380W NP. Power file for ride: TrainingPeaks

I think the app may be a tad higher than what I could sustain for 20 minutes, but probably only by 5-10W. Pretty awesome to see that FTP estimation in real-time. At around 8 minutes in when it passed my 330W FTP I had a huge surge in motivation to push that number up as high as possible.

I would say that 355W would be very close to your FTP. If you obeyed the FTP to 20 minute power 95% rule with your 380W effort, your Power Curve would look like:

https://www.xertonline.com/calculator?power_0=380&duration_0=728&power_1=&duration_1=&power_2=&duration_2=&action=calculate

Which estimates your FTP @350W. However, note that your 12:08 effort had some periods below FTP which would imply that you could sustain a slightly higher power for that duration if you paced it more evenly. Hence, FTP @350W is probably a bit low.

Thanks for your comments.
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time FTP Garmin Connect IQ App [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:

From http://baronbiosys.com/...e-ftp-determination/

"Although FTP is often characterized as the power you can hold for 1 hour, other methods such as the 20 minute test have been used as ways to approximate this number using the 95% rule. Our app works differently in that it looks for the power that you should be able to sustain for a very long time. This is often very close to your 1-hour power, perhaps a few watts above or below and for all intents and purposes can be used in place of FTP. Some say that this represents a better threshold power, and is what Xert uses."

Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time Garmin Connect IQ App [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://wp.me/p7MgIM-gh - Here's a review and a video, and also several stills, of the app in action. I'm pretty convinced - it's probably 98% accurate.

Richard Wharton, USAC L1 since 1997.
Technology, Application, Attention, Success
http://www.onlinebikecoach.com, http://www.cyclingcenterdallas.com
#whareagle, #leavewithnothingleft, #knowyournumbers, #numbersdontlie
Last edited by: Whareagle: Aug 1, 17 20:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
baronbiosys wrote:
Trev wrote:

From http://baronbiosys.com/...e-ftp-determination/

"Although FTP is often characterized as the power you can hold for 1 hour, other methods such as the 20 minute test have been used as ways to approximate this number using the 95% rule. Our app works differently in that it looks for the power that you should be able to sustain for a very long time. This is often very close to your 1-hour power, perhaps a few watts above or below and for all intents and purposes can be used in place of FTP. Some say that this represents a better threshold power, and is what Xert uses."

To clarify a bit, FTP is colloquially regarded as the average power you could sustain for an hour. 40k TT average power has also been described as a way to estimate FTP which could mean it is more or less than an hour. There have been many debates as to the meaning and/or definition of FTP and I don't want to revive these arguments. Suffice it to say, the results you get from the app are a reasonable estimate of the value you should be using as FTP in your training. Most athletes (with very rare exceptions) have reported that it provides a value that is very similar to what they believe their FTP to be.

Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time Garmin Connect IQ App [Whareagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using both WKO4, Golden Cheetah, Xert and the Xert app for a while now.

My clear experience is that mFTP in WKO4 and all of the CP models (though to different degrees) in Golden Cheetah are far more prone to erroneous estimations due to training variations than either of the Xert methods.

That is to say, WKO4 and Golden Cheetah have changed their estimations of my FTP/CP drastically, as my training has gone from being focused on longer high intensity efforts during the winter racing on Zwift and to mostly riding high intensity chasing local hill climb records for short durations during the summer.

At one point during winter, WKO4 had me at an mFTP of 279, while the two parameter model in Golden Cheetah had me at a CP of 277.

Now, for the last 90 days of training, WKO4 gives me an mFTP of 235, while the two parameter model in Golden Cheetah have me at a CP of 231.

Meanwhile, the Xert web tool had me at about 260-270 FTP during winter and is presently estimating an FTP of 280.

This progression in the estimation by Xert makes much more sense to me, as I am indeed stronger now than in the winter (based on wattage at shorter durations, feel and hill climb times), which is completely contrary to the FTP/CP estimations of WKO4 and Golden Cheetah.

It's worth noting that WKO4 and Golden Cheetah have changed their estimations of my FRC and W' to reflect my change in training and riding style, but this has happened at the expense of the accuracy of their estimations of FTP/CP.

As a further point of reference, the Xert Garmin app estimated an FTP of 267 a few of days ago after some hard, short efforts, where my form/TSB in either training tool was around 0-5, which means I could have been fresher/stronger.

It seems to me that the Xert web tool strives to predict and estimate your FTP for an optimal and fresh training state (what your FTP would be if you tapered properly for a race or FTP test, for example) regardless of how you're currently training and riding, while WKO4/Golden Cheetah to a much larger degree simply mimics your training regimen in their estimations and therefore change the modeled FTP wildly in accordance with changes in training.

My impression is that the Xert Garmin app is a happy medium between the prediction of an optimal state FTP (osFTP) of the Xert web tool and the reflection of your current training state FTP (tsFTP) of WKO4/Golden Cheetah.

In other words, the FTP estimation of the Xert Garmin app appears to reflect your current training state more closely than the Xert web tool, but it does not require you to perform efforts at threshold intensity for longer durations to achieve this, as WKO4 and Golden Cheetah do.

You might say that it's all a matter of the quality of the data the tools are fed, but why should I go to the trouble of spoon feeding my tools the specific data that they prefer, when I can simply ride as I please and still get accurate estimations of my FTP? (Not to mention my osFTP and tsFTP!)

WKO4 and Golden Cheetah honestly seem antiquated in this regard, though I continue to use both on a near daily basis for the many other benefits they provide.
Last edited by: ThisFarmingMan: Sep 1, 17 1:01
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time Garmin Connect IQ App [ThisFarmingMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To polemically expand a bit on how varying your training affects FTP model estimates, I would say that the closer your training mimics an actual FTP test of longer duration efforts at threshold, the more accurate the WKO4 and Golden Cheetah models generally become.

But this dependency on mimicry simultaneously renders the models irrelevant or inaccurate to different degrees depending on exactly how closely your training is tethered to actual FTP testing and longer duration threshold efforts.

In other words, if your training is far removed from threshold efforts and FTP testing like my summer riding is, the WKO4/Golden Cheetah model estimates tend towards the inaccurate.

If, on the other hand, your training consists of longer threshold efforts that approximate FTP testing like my winter riding did, then the WKO4/Golden Cheetah model estimates tend towards the irrelevant.

In either case, the model estimates are more or less useless.

The Xert models appear to avoid at least one half of the uselessness trap of this training variation of the accuracy paradox by not being tethered to mimicry of longer duration threshold efforts to a similar degree as the WKO4 and Golden Cheetah models.

Last edited by: ThisFarmingMan: Aug 31, 17 17:23
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time Garmin Connect IQ App [ThisFarmingMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question is what do you feel the estimate is right compared to?

If you did a maximal 60min effort, what would think your power would be?

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time Garmin Connect IQ App [Kiwicoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiwicoach wrote:

As 60 minute power isn't FTP and Dr Andrew Coggan PhD wants to personally shoot the next person who claims FTP is 60 minute power, why do you think power over 60 minutes is relevant?

Training and Racing with a Power Meter
21 July ·
Can I just shoot the next person who mistakenly claims that FTP = 60.000.... min power?
Last edited by: Trev: Sep 1, 17 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kiwicoach wrote:

In the winter, the threshold estimate of Xert was compared to the FTP/CP models of WKO4 and Golden Cheetah as well as high intensity threshold efforts that were in effect maximal TT efforts between about 30 minutes to 1,5 hours in duration.

In the winter, all of the estimates from the different tools were largely in accordance with each other as well as the actual TT threshold efforts.

As I've changed my training to not include any threshold efforts of longer duration, instead focusing on HIIT with shorter efforts between about 30 seconds and 5 minutes, both WKO4 and Golden Cheetah are now reporting an FTP that's about 40-50 watts lower than in the winter, while my monthly TSS has increased and CTL has gradually moved upwards from a low point of 50 in the winter to a high point of 85 in the summer.

As noted, Xert now estimates that my FTP is 280 which is a little higher than its highest estimate in the winter and almost exactly the same as the highest estimates of WKO4 and Golden Cheetah in the winter.

I could do a longer threshold effort to see where I actually end up at present (about 260-280 depending on freshness and training state, would be my guess), but I suspect that it's highly unlikely that I've lost up to 50 watts at FTP while improving other parameters of fitness as well as wattages at 30 seconds to 5 minutes, as WKO4 and Golden Cheetah would have me believe.

Of course, much of the reported loss is to do with the 90 day window that I've chosen to use in WKO4 and Golden Cheetah, as their estimates shoot right back up to about 260-270, if I choose to use data from all of 2017.

But if I do that, I lose the responsiveness of the model estimate, which you correctly value.

The more likely possibility than both an actual drop in FTP as well as errors in data is that WKO4 and Golden Cheetah can't accurately estimate threshold, if your training regimen does not contain efforts of longer duration near threshold.

It's the model accuracy paradox of training that I outlined in my previous reply: If you already have the wattage data from the longer threshold efforts, the model estimates are more or less accurate but also more or less irrelevant, as you already have the data; while if you have no data from longer threshold efforts, the model estimates could be very relevant, but in this case they're sadly more or less inaccurate, as the models appear to require longer duration threshold efforts to achieve accuracy. This is of course a schematic simplification, but it get's to the root of the problem with the WKO4 and Golden Cheetah models.

I'm guessing the WKO4 model reflects the totality of the specific training and efforts done by the riders used as its statistical foundation, and I would guess as well that all or most of these riders regularly did longer duration threshold efforts, which means that this type of training is what the model is primarily tuned for.

In other words, the WKO4 and Golden Cheetah models can't accurately estimate FTP based only on data from HIIT training at shorter durations.

Xert appears to have no such problem and its threshold estimate is therefore actually useable for me, as well as in line with my winter performance.

If Xert does turn out to also be inaccurate in its estimates based on my HIIT training, it seems reasonable that it's at least much more accurate than the estimates of WKO4 and Golden Cheetah, when they only have my HIIT training to go on.

I also suspect that my circumstances are far from unique, as many others vary their training or tend to avoid FTP testing or longer threshold efforts for whatever reason. I'm no coach (and as an aside, I've actually just cancelled my Xert subscription), but Xert seems great for easily getting an FTP estimate from riders you're coaching who are not regularly doing longer duration threshold efforts for whatever reason, and for whom the estimates of WKO4 and Golden Cheetah are therefore possibly inaccurate.

If the training state FTP or tsFTP from the Xert Garmin app could be incorporated into the Xert web tool to supplement its optimal state FTP or osFTP, that would be ideal, as the tsFTP seems to me to correspond more closely to the estimates of Golden Cheetah and WKO4 than does the osFTP of the web tool, while both Xert models are useable for shorter duration HIIT training, which WKO4 and Golden Cheetah are not (with regards to the model estimates, at least).

It's worth noting that the tsFTP of the Xert Garmin app is also the most responsive threshold estimate of all, as it reflects your FTP on any specific day that you use it, just as an actual FTP test consisting of a longer threshold effort would, without actually requiring you to ride longer duration threshold efforts.

None of the other models come close to this level of responsiveness and ability to reflect your actual daily training state FTP, while simply doing maximal efforts at any duration.

In short, the Xert models appear to have very minor practical constraints compared to the other models, and this has several practical benefits, as it means that Xert is compatible with and accurate for both a wider range of consistent approaches to training as well as larger variations between training types throughout the year.
Last edited by: ThisFarmingMan: Sep 1, 17 15:50
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time Garmin Connect IQ App [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you waffling on about Troll? I just asked what he thought his 60min power was.

Trev wrote:
Kiwicoach wrote:

As 60 minute power isn't FTP and Dr Andrew Coggan PhD wants to personally shoot the next person who claims FTP is 60 minute power, why do you think power over 60 minutes is relevant?

21 July ·
Can I just shoot the next person who mistakenly claims that FTP = 60.000.... min power?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pointing out that FTP isn't 60 minute power. It isn't my fault you forgot what FTP is this week.

Kiwicoach wrote:
What are you waffling on about Troll? I just asked what he thought his 60min power was.

Trev wrote:
Kiwicoach wrote:

21 July ·
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But 60 minute power can be a suitable proxy, so Hamish' question is relevant and meaningful. He did not claim FTP to simply be equal to 60 minute power. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again Troll, what are you waffling on about. I asked him what his 60min power was.

Trev wrote:
I'm pointing out that FTP isn't 60 minute power. It isn't my fault you forgot what FTP is this week.

Kiwicoach wrote:

Trev wrote:
Kiwicoach wrote:

21 July ·

Quote Reply

Prev Next