Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Xert Real-Time FTP Garmin Connect IQ App [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
redtdi wrote:
I'm biased as I ride with Armando, but I uploaded my Strava data into XERT and got a 318w FTP, when I've always used 315w through testing and educated guessing as my number. I'm a fan.

As i've mentioned to Armando, it will be sweet once running and swimming are factored in for predicted tiredness scores, but this is another fun tool to work with.

Ken

Hey Ken! Thanks.

This is one of the priority items on our roadmap.

Armando Mastracci, Founder of Xert, an advanced data analytics and training platform. Blog, Podcasts
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time FTP Garmin Connect IQ App [baronbiosys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I installed this last week and out curiosity I've tried three ftp attempts. I'm impressed as they all came in within about 3 watts of each other and about where I that my ftp was. Plus I find the real time build and graphics quite motivating as I push myself as hard as possible. My last attempt yesterday I maxed my hr at 175 bpm which is two beats higher than I have ever seen on the bike. Best of all ... I'm not wasting 60 or 20 minutes trying to find a flat course to carry out a proper ftp protocol. I'm sold.

Swim - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Bike - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Run - ( ) All good ( x ) In the shop
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time FTP Garmin Connect IQ App [GrahamK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrahamK wrote:
I installed this last week and out curiosity I've tried three ftp attempts. I'm impressed as they all came in within about 3 watts of each other and about where I that my ftp was. Plus I find the real time build and graphics quite motivating as I push myself as hard as possible. My last attempt yesterday I maxed my hr at 175 bpm which is two beats higher than I have ever seen on the bike. Best of all ... I'm not wasting 60 or 20 minutes trying to find a flat course to carry out a proper ftp protocol. I'm sold.
I loaded my data into Xert. It's over estimating my FTP by 10+%.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time FTP Garmin Connect IQ App [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
GrahamK wrote:
I loaded my data into Xert. It's over estimating my FTP by 10+%.

Hey Alex!

Four things:
1. If you're more of a fast-twitxh type, be sure to push out a peak power effort first If the value is over 1000W, it will make some minor adjustments to reduce the impact of high intensity efforts towards your FTP number.
2. Update the app. Latest version is best.
3. Be sure data quality is good. (goes without saying but you should look at the data afterwards).
4. Send us the file. At this moment, if you follow 1 and 2, overshooting by 10% is highy unlikely. We'd like to have a look at the data.

Armando Mastracci, Founder of Xert, an advanced data analytics and training platform. Blog, Podcasts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Armando

I don't have a device compatible with the Garmin app. I loaded my data into Xert online. I know for sure the value it shows is over estimated.

I'll do a sprint effort when I get back to the track. Not overly fond of doing those on my road bikes while I'm overweight. Normally peak power is close to ~1200W.

Cheers
Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
Hi Armando

I don't have a device compatible with the Garmin app. I loaded my data into Xert online. I know for sure the value it shows is over estimated.

I'll do a sprint effort when I get back to the track. Not overly fond of doing those on my road bikes while I'm overweight. Normally peak power is close to ~1200W.

Cheers
Alex

Ah. Can we have a look to see what may have caused it? Sometimes simply *seeding* your progression can correct and improve overall results. There is an FAQ on that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Color me impressed and great idea for the free app as it lured me on to the platform. I've used it now on three rides; twice on my road bike and once on my triathlon bike. My road bike FTP is about 18 watts higher than my tri bike. It nailed my numbers within a few watts on each bike. Very cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time Garmin Connect IQ App [baronbiosys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! that worked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
baronbiosys wrote:
AlexS wrote:
Hi Armando

Cheers
Alex

Ah. Can we have a look to see what may have caused it? Sometimes simply *seeding* your progression can correct and improve overall results. There is an FAQ on that.
I tried that but might not be doing it right as it made no difference to anything. You may look at the data. .

Keep in mind I'm trying to start riding again after a very long time away from the bike (aside from the odd bit of riding here and there) and my last race season was 2011. First ride in Xert calendar is 18 May this year. You can assume CTL = 0.

My FTP W/kg is at least half of what it was then (power low, weight high). My local terrain is mostly rolling hills, some flat roads to choose, and accordingly to lug my fat arse over all the hills it's nearly a max effort so I don't fall off!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
baronbiosys wrote:
AlexS wrote:
Hi Armando

Cheers
Alex

I tried that but might not be doing it right as it made no difference to anything. You may look at the data. .

Keep in mind I'm trying to start riding again after a very long time away from the bike (aside from the odd bit of riding here and there) and my last race season was 2011. First ride in Xert calendar is 18 May this year. You can assume CTL = 0.

My FTP W/kg is at least half of what it was then (power low, weight high). My local terrain is mostly rolling hills, some flat roads to choose, and accordingly to lug my fat arse over all the hills it's nearly a max effort so I don't fall off!

I seeded your progression for you. You'll notice that you only have 6 rides with breakthroughs (these are circles on your progression chart), according to the seed value I used. I think the results are decent and your ride on July 18th was exhaustive and expressed some good numbers. You can see that you're strengths are more geared towards shorter duration efforts.

Many of our users are seeing multiple breakthroughs in a given week, often with "near" breakthroughs, the term used for open circles that identify a slight drop in fitness. This is akin to doing an FTP test and seeing a 3 or 4W drop in FTP which could be due to a variety of reasons. Fitness often bounces back with a real breakthrough soon after that.

These breakthroughs act like a control system, keeping all your fitness numbers dialed in for each ride or workout you do. Xert does this automatically in the majority of cases but where fitness isn't expressed often or there are errors/offsets in power numbers, manual intervention may be required and there are tools to help with that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. My ride on 18th was over part of a course I've chosen for a training camp I'm running at end of August. It was quite lumpy and challenging for a fat bugger like me.

With the revision Xert suggests my FTP is at a power I reckon I could sustain for perhaps 15-min. WKO4 suggests my FTP is 7-8% less than the Xert estimate. The WKO4 model estimate is closer to reality IMO. Do I have a long TT or MLSS data? No. Maybe I'll knock out some efforts in the weeks ahead, perhaps at the local velodrome.

Will see how it plays out over the coming weeks as I progress. It's no big deal, I've no competition goals, for now the goals are about life and getting some fitness back. I donated my TT bike to my club as i never expect to ride one again. If I ever race again it'll likely be local low grade stuff for fun.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
Thanks. My ride on 18th was over part of a course I've chosen for a training camp I'm running at end of August. It was quite lumpy and challenging for a fat bugger like me.

With the revision Xert suggests my FTP is at a power I reckon I could sustain for perhaps 15-min. WKO4 suggests my FTP is 7-8% less than the Xert estimate. The WKO4 model estimate is closer to reality IMO. Do I have a long TT or MLSS data? No. Maybe I'll knock out some efforts in the weeks ahead, perhaps at the local velodrome.

Will see how it plays out over the coming weeks as I progress. It's no big deal, I've no competition goals, for now the goals are about life and getting some fitness back. I donated my TT bike to my club as i never expect to ride one again. If I ever race again it'll likely be local low grade stuff for fun.

Have a read through our glossary entry on Power Curve. It can offer an explanation of the discrepancy. Use of MMP data will almost always result in lower estimates than what Xert estimates.

We've recently added a new concept we call "Difficulty" which influences your ability to hold FTP for longer durations. In general, those with greater training load have an easier time handling efforts of greater difficulty. Longer FTP efforts, particularly if there is variation above and below FTP, are very difficult but become more bearable the more you train.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
baronbiosys wrote:
AlexS wrote:

Have a read through our glossary entry on Power Curve. It can offer an explanation of the discrepancy. Use of MMP data will almost always result in lower estimates than what Xert estimates.
It might be a lower estimate than Xert, but it's more realistic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excited/interested to see what it says during my ride tomorrow. Uploaded a years worth of data and it has me about 20 or so watts lower than what I am. Didn't look through everything but had Oly races at the number it estimated. Either way it's pretty cool. Maybe their is something up with the data I uploaded.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time FTP Garmin Connect IQ App [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Color me impressed and great idea for the free app as it lured me on to the platform. I've used it now on three rides; twice on my road bike and once on my triathlon bike. My road bike FTP is about 18 watts higher than my tri bike. It nailed my numbers within a few watts on each bike. Very cool.

Thanks for sharing. We had thought that it would be useful in this scenario and glad so to see it work for you! Using it for comparatives, particularly when it can be used to inform decisions, even race-day decisions, is an area we'd be very interested in hearing from athletes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very impressed with the app. Is there a way to record each trial FTP in Garmin connect with data from that day's ride? It would obviously very handy to use the app weekly and build out a graph over the year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
baronbiosys wrote:
AlexS wrote:
Maybe I'll knock out some efforts in the weeks ahead, perhaps at the local velodrome.

Will see how it plays out over the coming weeks as I progress.

We've recently added a new concept we call "Difficulty" which influences your ability to hold FTP for longer durations. In general, those with greater training load have an easier time handling efforts of greater difficulty. Longer FTP efforts, particularly if there is variation above and below FTP, are very difficult but become more bearable the more you train.

I went to my local outdoor velodrome today and took the road and track bikes. I did a session on the road bike, just steady with some 2-minute efforts, a couple well in control, then one harder, then one at close to if not at max effort - had to wing the pacing. Must have had some impact as had a bit of bile coming up some minutes afterwards. The 2-min max was 327W (post amputation best is 446W).

Then I got onto the track bike and did a couple of short sprint efforts with a peak of 1210W, which is right in line with what I expect with no sprint training. Finished with a one lap all out effort, although I think my gear was a bit light as I peaked at 129rpm and I've not done any track work for ages. 611W for 27 seconds.

Xert updated my FTP to 208W, high intensity energy to 22.4kJ and peak power to 1210W.

Xert's FTP estimate is 106% of my current best 20-minute power but I've not done a 20-min test effort as yet.

The HI value is pretty generous as well.

Peak power value is same as power meter recorded as peak power.

Last edited by: AlexS: Jul 24, 17 23:44
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time FTP Garmin Connect IQ App [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For kicks I tried the Xert Garmin Connect IQ app Saturday on the Edge 820, but I knew beforehand that I probably wasn't going to be able to fully utilize the app for its intended use because I was in a small leisure group ride. It was interesting to watch it spin up as the torque increased climbing up some short rollers. I would see a bit of a climb coming and think this is the one that will be long enough, but I always hit the crest of the hill and the intensity would drop off as we cruised down the other side. I think the highest I saw it get was 160.

Not that it matters because one can keep mental track of the highest number recorded, but I have my Edge set to lap at 20 miles so it clears or sets it back to the 100 start point. Just so happened that I was on a good climb and the suspense was building, but it cleared right at 20 miles. Just my luck :-)

I tried it again on Sunday, but never really got a clear stretch of road to really open up a sustained effort. I am recovering from torn PCL at the moment so I am not going to attempt higher intensity efforts just yet, but I hope to give it an honest try at some point in the future and see how it lines up with what I am using in WKO 4 and what it estimates as my mFTP.

Cool little app to try out.
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time FTP Garmin Connect IQ App [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, you can turn off the "reset at each lap" feature so no need to watch your FTP reset to 100 in mid ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
baronbiosys wrote:
AlexS wrote:
Maybe I'll knock out some efforts in the weeks ahead, perhaps at the local velodrome.

Will see how it plays out over the coming weeks as I progress.

I went to my local outdoor velodrome today and took the road and track bikes. I did a session on the road bike, just steady with some 2-minute efforts, a couple well in control, then one harder, then one at close to if not at max effort - had to wing the pacing. Must have had some impact as had a bit of bile coming up some minutes afterwards. The 2-min max was 327W (post amputation best is 446W).

Then I got onto the track bike and did a couple of short sprint efforts with a peak of 1210W, which is right in line with what I expect with no sprint training. Finished with a one lap all out effort, although I think my gear was a bit light as I peaked at 129rpm and I've not done any track work for ages. 611W for 27 seconds.

Xert updated my FTP to 208W, high intensity energy to 22.4kJ and peak power to 1210W.

Xert's FTP estimate is 106% of my current best 20-minute power but I've not done a 20-min test effort as yet.

The HI value is pretty generous as well.

Peak power value is same as power meter recorded as peak power.

Your results are actually pretty cool. Is it ok with you if I use some of your charts to explain your results?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
baronbiosys wrote:
Your results are actually pretty cool. Is it ok with you if I use some of your charts to explain your results?
Knock yourself out, although I'm more interested in whether my results are useful than whether they are cool.

While I have no specific personal goal other than to start riding regularly again and gain some health and fitness benefits, I realised a few years ago that psychologically I'm not much good at exercising but rather I am usually pretty good at training. So I'm looking at analytics with a coaching eye, rather than for my own personal needs. IOW I'm asking myself the question: is this something that provides actionable intelligence beyond what I already have, know and understand?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
baronbiosys wrote:

Knock yourself out, although I'm more interested in whether my results are useful than whether they are cool.

While I have no specific personal goal other than to start riding regularly again and gain some health and fitness benefits, I realised a few years ago that psychologically I'm not much good at exercising but rather I am usually pretty good at training. So I'm looking at analytics with a coaching eye, rather than for my own personal needs. IOW I'm asking myself the question: is this something that provides actionable intelligence beyond what I already have, know and understand?

Alex,

Here is your Progression Chart. Your Form is red because you're starting from 0 and don't have much data in the system yet. Xert found a few breakthrough activities and has very little to establish a good esimate of your fitness. I'll discuss out the ride on July 18th below.

There isn't a lot to learn about training and progression from your chart given the lack of data. There is some correlation between FTP (gold hashed line) and Training Load (black line - simlar to CTL).

Here is another progression chart where there is an intentional effort to push up threshold with lower intensity Training Load. Notice how there is little red (Form being too negative). In the end, the rebound created an FTP that significantly overshot the value expected from Training Load. Hire that coach.

This Progression Chart is quite different as there is a consistent demonstrated progression. Training load and FTP is highly correlated. Each breakthrough is a medal (gold, silver, bronze) and "near" breakthroughs (circles) are slight declines in FTP. Note that we're picking up these changes once or twice a week. For those new to Xert, imagine if you were to use "What's My FTP?" on every ride and you're riding hard group rides and races on a consistent basis. Xert's ability to track subtle improvements and declines in fitness is pretty remarkable.

On your July 18th ride, I zoomed in to your best 20 minute effort. What you'll note is that Xert establishes your FTP as 208W from this activity even though your AP for the 20 minutes is 189W. Using MMP from this ride will not provide any insight, unfortunately. Xert looks at Maximal Power Availalbe (MPA) as it rises and falls and uses it to estimate what your FTP is likely to be in order for you to have *expressed* this MPA. The 20 minute effort had a great amount of variability (our Equivalent Power which is similar to Normalized Average Power is 231W. Check out or blog on Paradigm Shift to see the difference between them).

It would be impossible for your FTP be below 200W in order to express this MPA. Now since your Training Load is so low (35 from above) you likely would not have enough fitness for a one-hour FTP test. Many athletes that aren't trained will give up with "reserve capacity" meaning MPA hasn't declined to reach power at the point of failure, i.e. it hurts too much. You'll know this has happened when the athlete gives in due to Difficulty Score being too high for their accumulated Training Load. A maximal effort - where MPA and power do not meet - is not reached. Many of our coaches are keying on Difficulty Scores as a important number to track and improve in the athlete.

Note, as is described in the glossary on Power Curve, this 20 MMP effort, starts in a fatigued state (MPA is below Peak Power), has periods where power goes below FTP (even periods of 0 power) and ends in failure above your 20 minute MMP (near 400W). If this 20 minute effort is used to establish FTP or influence an FTP regression, FTP is likely to be grossly underestimated.

Every coach using Xert would tell you to use 208W as your FTP, even with such little information to go on. It is likely the closest you'll get to a number that represents the threshold between short-term fatigue accumulation and recovery. In some ways though, your FTP isn't as important of a metric when it comes to using Xert. Xert uses a Fitness Signature (which includes a Threshold Power) and uses this to determine your fatigue quite precisely (as in the chart) and this precision is what is used in designing and prescribing workouts. Xert Smart Workouts avoid using %FTP in workout design for this reason.

Xert is quite a shift in thinking for those that are used to the older methods of analysis. Many coaches that are investing in understanding it, are able to provide their clients unique perspectives and interpretations of their fitness that have never been available before. Our self-coached athlete customers like the ability to get precise feedback on fitness improvements and the availability of highly personalized training that *knows what they can do*.

Good luck. Hope this clears up a few things. Time to get back to work!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
baronbiosys wrote:
Here is your Progression Chart. Your Form is red because you're starting from 0 and don't have much data in the system yet. Xert found a few breakthrough activities and has very little to establish a good esimate of your fitness. I'll discuss out the ride on July 18th below.

There isn't a lot to learn about training and progression from your chart given the lack of data. There is some correlation between FTP (gold hashed line) and Training Load (black line - simlar to CTL).

Here is another progression chart where there is an intentional effort to push up threshold with lower intensity Training Load. Notice how there is little red (Form being too negative). In the end, the rebound created an FTP that significantly overshot the value expected from Training Load. Hire that coach.
I don't see the correlation you refer to. The lines often diverge and go in opposite directions, and sometimes the same direction.

baronbiosys wrote:
This Progression Chart is quite different as there is a consistent demonstrated progression. Training load and FTP is highly correlated. Each breakthrough is a medal (gold, silver, bronze) and "near" breakthroughs (circles) are slight declines in FTP. Note that we're picking up these changes once or twice a week. For those new to Xert, imagine if you were to use "What's My FTP?" on every ride and you're riding hard group rides and races on a consistent basis. Xert's ability to track subtle improvements and declines in fitness is pretty remarkable.
If you are doing regular hard rides and/or races, then picking up on form changes should be pretty obvious.

baronbiosys wrote:
On your July 18th ride, I zoomed in to your best 20 minute effort. What you'll note is that Xert establishes your FTP as 208W from this activity even though your AP for the 20 minutes is 189W. Using MMP from this ride will not provide any insight, unfortunately. Xert looks at Maximal Power Availalbe (MPA) as it rises and falls and uses it to estimate what your FTP is likely to be in order for you to have *expressed* this MPA. The 20 minute effort had a great amount of variability (our Equivalent Power which is similar to Normalized Average Power is 231W. Check out or blog on Paradigm Shift to see the difference between them).
How do you find and zoom in?

I would be ignoring NP or proxy equivalent values for just 20-minutes. It's just not long enough to be paying any attention to.

baronbiosys wrote:
It would be impossible for your FTP be below 200W in order to express this MPA. Now since your Training Load is so low (35 from above) you likely would not have enough fitness for a one-hour FTP test. Many athletes that aren't trained will give up with "reserve capacity" meaning MPA hasn't declined to reach power at the point of failure, i.e. it hurts too much. You'll know this has happened when the athlete gives in due to Difficulty Score being too high for their accumulated Training Load. A maximal effort - where MPA and power do not meet - is not reached. Many of our coaches are keying on Difficulty Scores as a important number to track and improve in the athlete.
I find the statement that I don't have enough fitness to ride hard for about an hour to be absurd.

My fitness is what it is, and what I can maximally sustain for say around 40-60 minutes would be a genuine reflection of that.

If I am unable to repeatably do longer interval efforts at 208W, then there is no way that's my FTP. It matters not what my training load is, nor what Xert says or any model says. If I can't actually sustain the power for longer durations, then it's clearly not a maximal metabolic steady state.

Now it may well be that I can hold 208W but just don't know it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Armando. Is there a way to save the ftp result to Garmin connect along with the ride stats? I like to track it and I see ftp is a parameter tracked in Garmin connect. Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a Zwift race today with the Xert app up and running. A few things to note before going into what the result of the app gave:

1) Last calculated FTP was 4 months ago in a traditional 20-min test: 330W. I've done a TON of hard training since then, with many workouts that I would think pushed that number up.
2) I raced Racine 70.3 10 days ago and have recovered really, really well since, and haven't run or swam at all -- 100% bike riding in those 10 days, so I was pretty primed for a good effort today.

Result: FTP of 355W. Spent 12 minutes 8 seconds at 380W AP, 380W NP. Power file for ride: TrainingPeaks

I think the app may be a tad higher than what I could sustain for 20 minutes, but probably only by 5-10W. Pretty awesome to see that FTP estimation in real-time. At around 8 minutes in when it passed my 330W FTP I had a huge surge in motivation to push that number up as high as possible.
Quote Reply

Prev Next