Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Well that was my logic.
I'm not sure I get the need to go higher if it's not causing issues.,
I'm always at the lower end, I put out more sustainable power and run better off it.
Go too high and I'm in bits.

You have to remember that these changes have occurred over the span of 7 years. One of the reasons why I've been successful is because I'm not scared to try and make improvements to a World Class athlete's position if I think it's needed...I'm not intimidated because they are already fast. Andy has always been able to ride a bike...even when his saddle is too low. The human body does a great job of adapting to most things and a great athlete can adapt to a bad position. Andy has always been capable of riding an appropriate saddle height (define that how you'd like), but familiarity is something that he will have to overcome to do so.

I didn't do anything to help Andy adjust to a higher saddle other than move it up, get his feedback, and then let him get used to it. He is so in tune with his power output, that I would know right away if I had done something that jeopardized his ability to apply force to the pedals. I'd have to guess that I made these changes in 2 yr chunks and Andy's feedback has always been very positive. If it had not been, I would have gone back to the previous saddle height.

I'm not sure what is going on in the "single" TriRig pic...pedals, shoes, and bike are different than what I setup a month ago.

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Last edited by: Mat Steinmetz: Apr 25, 16 4:48
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Having your saddle too low or too high will reduce your efficiency, and hence (presumably) your sustainable power output.

That said, being too high is worse than being too low, from both a physiological and aerodynamic perspective.

I would agree with this depending on what we define as too high or too low...or what the athlete is familiar with. I seem to find that as long as the athlete is healthy, that I favor lower saddle positions over higher.

I'd consider within range low: 39-43 degrees...high: under 35 degrees

Mat Steinmetz

Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting Matt Thank you.

Quick question, Andy uses an adamo right? Did you notice any change in pelvic rotation when the saddle moved up?
I find I can rotate slightly more as it goes up, until I hit a certain point then suddenly cannot rotate forward at all.
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [Tomato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Quick question, Andy uses an adamo right? Did you notice any change in pelvic rotation when the saddle moved up?
I find I can rotate slightly more as it goes up, until I hit a certain point then suddenly cannot rotate forward at all.

I haven't. When Andy has been on the fit stand, we've never gotten high enough to reach that point. When I have made the changes, I was only taking 2-3 degrees of extension out of the knee at a time. Some athletes who don't have a good feel for small changes may not even notice that.

Mat Steinmetz

Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I throw out a crazy idea...

This might be a pic from a photo shoot and Andy may have just thrown his bike together to take care of this sponsor obligation...

The photo's from the Retul bike are probably what he rides in the real world...

Like I said...crazy idea!
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never seem to get in as much training while on vacation. Skip the vacation, more money and more training for the win!
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
copperman wrote:
Toefuzz wrote:
I am a BOP newbie and I spend way too much time thinking about crap like this and cannot fathom how a professional whose livelihood depends on how well they do in a race can put so little thought into basic equipment choices.

Because he puts that effort into training instead of being an aero weenie. Seems to work OK for him.

Depends on how you define "OK". I don't see multiple World Championship wins. We do see that he lost Kona pretty much ALL on the bike last year since he matched Frodeno in the swim and run.

I make good power, but I have excellent bike splits due to good position and equipment choices. I don't even have top shelf wheels or bike frame. I don't even have a accurate power meter, so I really have no idea exactly what I'm making, but based on how I got smoked all day uphill at Kona, my power to weight ratio is far lower. Fortunately you spend a lot more time on flat ground and downhill than you do uphill.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [tripence] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John,
This is slowtwitch. Where only watts matter. Not times and who cross's the line first.
They are also leaving out that Potts is a terrible bike handler and a general douchebag. But who cares about things that mater.

Hope all is well,
Elliot
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For Potts' sake I hope Damon Rinard is hard at work at Cannondale, because the new Slice is a sad excuse for a tri bike in today's modern superbike world.
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
So says TriRig:
http://www.tririg.com/...ig_Omega_X&num=1

That's absolutely nuts! By my math that's nine minutes vs running turbo cottons with latex tubes. Nine minutes and he beats Frodo by nearly two minutes!!! Somebody tell AP aerocamp/ERO/any form of aero testing!

That's 5 minutes that he is still in the hole after he changes a flat in 4 minutes? Paging Eric Reid to straighten out Mr. Potts!

4000SII aren't exactly flat prone, so you can ride those with latex tubes and sealant. Knock on wood, but I'd going on 600 miles of racing, without a flat with that setup. Thousands of miles training with only I think 2 flats and mainly the day after it rained, and riding on the shoulder of the road, unlike a race.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but shouldn't he - I mean everyone - be on SuperSonics? I heard somewhere those were the best to crush KOMs. TG4lyfe.
Quote Reply

Prev Next