Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!!
Quote | Reply
So says TriRig:
http://www.tririg.com/...ig_Omega_X&num=1

That's absolutely nuts! By my math that's nine minutes vs running turbo cottons with latex tubes. Nine minutes and he beats Frodo by nearly two minutes!!! Somebody tell AP aerocamp/ERO/any form of aero testing!

WTB: TriRig Omega SV (not x). PM me if you have one :)
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dupe.
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Wow.
And his seat is to high.
Last edited by: Nicko: Apr 22, 16 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
So says TriRig:
http://www.tririg.com/...ig_Omega_X&num=1

That's absolutely nuts! By my math that's nine minutes vs running turbo cottons with latex tubes. Nine minutes and he beats Frodo by nearly two minutes!!! Somebody tell AP aerocamp/ERO/any form of aero testing!

That's 5 minutes that he is still in the hole after he changes a flat in 4 minutes? Paging Eric Reid to straighten out Mr. Potts!
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shitty bike, shitty helmet, shitty wheels (shimano), and doesn't shave his legs. AP is known for not the best equipment choices. He's improved the wheels with the swap to Enve. Whether or not the move to Cannondale is better, we'll find out.

get comfortable being uncomfortable
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:

Wow.
And his seat is to high.

Yup buy at least an inch.....
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps the time gain/loss isn't actually as much as the experts have calculated.

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [tripence] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unlikely

WTB: TriRig Omega SV (not x). PM me if you have one :)
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a BOP newbie and I spend way too much time thinking about crap like this and cannot fathom how a professional whose livelihood depends on how well they do in a race can put so little thought into basic equipment choices.
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
I am a BOP newbie and I spend way too much time thinking about crap like this and cannot fathom how a professional whose livelihood depends on how well they do in a race can put so little thought into basic equipment choices.

Because he puts that effort into training instead of being an aero weenie. Seems to work OK for him.

If tech upgrades did as much as people claim, pros would use them more universally. As is, it's the slightly pudgy doctor triathletes who use every last tech to try and get "free speed".
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there is some truth to this, but again, his livelihood depends on how well he performs at a race. If I were in that position I would spend a few hours researching "free speed" wherever I could find it. It's a ridiculously competitive field out there and if the aero savings are even a third of what is advertised it can still add up to several minutes over the course of the race and that can make a big difference in where you place, which in turn probably has an affect on sponsors, etc. I've always heard that one of the biggest differences between pros and age groupers is how much time they can devote to recovery. Well, if he's sitting on the couch recovering he has some time to look into this.

I'm looking forward to seeing him race this year!
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love people who think like you. It makes racing so much easier.

-----------------------------------------------------------
De Soto Sport Athlete
Formerly Draketriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"As is, it's the slightly pudgy doctor triathletes who use every last tech to try and get "free speed". "

Hey! I resemble that comment!

But seriously, I worked on the engine first, and when I squeezed everything out of conditioning, free speed second. I'm pretty sure a few AG 3rd place podium finishes wouldn't have happened last year without the free speed...

2018 races: SwimRun Lake James, Lake James International, Lake Norman, TriLatta, Lake Logan Half, IMChoo, SwimRunNC
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I love people who think like you. It makes racing so much easier.


Seriously.

Like you can't work on the engine and improve the equipment at the same time.

This fat doctor hasn't made the gains I would like on the bike. So, I try to optimize (as much as I can) all the little things to eke the best bike split I can out of my pitifully low watts.

By all means, mash out an extra 30-40 watts with your awesome power to overcome your aerodynamic/equipment choices...... I'll see you on the run.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Last edited by: wannabefaster: Apr 23, 16 7:07
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
copperman wrote:
Toefuzz wrote:
I am a BOP newbie and I spend way too much time thinking about crap like this and cannot fathom how a professional whose livelihood depends on how well they do in a race can put so little thought into basic equipment choices.


Because he puts that effort into training instead of being an aero weenie. Seems to work OK for him.

If tech upgrades did as much as people claim, pros would use them more universally. As is, it's the slightly pudgy doctor triathletes who use every last tech to try and get "free speed".

You'd be all kinds of wrong in your assertions. It works okay for him in spite of his dopey equipment choices. Potts might have given Frodeno a run for his money Kona if Potts hadn't been riding a shit bike, with shit tires, and shit tubes.

Some pros are technically and scientifically dumb as fuck. Andy Potts is apparently one of them.

2018 Races:
Oceanside 70.3, Oceanside, CA, April 7th | Ironman Texas, The Woodlands, TX, April 28th | Finland 70.3, Lahti, Finland, June 30th | Jönköping 70.3, Jönköping, Sweden, July 8th

Gear: Dimond Bikes | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
copperman wrote:
Toefuzz wrote:
I am a BOP newbie and I spend way too much time thinking about crap like this and cannot fathom how a professional whose livelihood depends on how well they do in a race can put so little thought into basic equipment choices.


Because he puts that effort into training instead of being an aero weenie. Seems to work OK for him.

If tech upgrades did as much as people claim, pros would use them more universally. As is, it's the slightly pudgy doctor triathletes who use every last tech to try and get "free speed".


You'd be all kinds of wrong in your assertions. It works okay for him in spite of his dopey equipment choices. Potts might have given Frodeno a run for his money Kona if Potts hadn't been riding a shit bike, with shit tires, and shit tubes.

Some pros are technically and scientifically dumb as fuck. Andy Potts is apparently one of them.

Actually he was correct, it does work out OK for him. Nothing says Kona champion quite like OK.
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I love people who think like you. It makes racing so much easier.


Seriously.

Like you can't work on the engine and improve the equipment at the same time.

This fat doctor hasn't made the gains I would like on the bike. So, I try to optimize (as much as I can) all the little things to eke the best bike split I can out of my pitifully low watts.

By all means, mash out an extra 30-40 watts with your awesome power to overcome your aerodynamic/equipment choices...... I'll see you on the run.

Here's the thing.

If we raced the same age group. You spent 5k more than me on tri gear. And you beat me by 30 seconds - kudos to you. This is a hobby to a lot of us. 5k in the bank is a few week vacation I can take. I value that more than a plastic medal. We both got the same fitness gains out of training, so that really is the difference. Plastic medal or $5000. I know which one I pick.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
copperman wrote:
wannabefaster wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I love people who think like you. It makes racing so much easier.


Seriously.

Like you can't work on the engine and improve the equipment at the same time.

This fat doctor hasn't made the gains I would like on the bike. So, I try to optimize (as much as I can) all the little things to eke the best bike split I can out of my pitifully low watts.

By all means, mash out an extra 30-40 watts with your awesome power to overcome your aerodynamic/equipment choices...... I'll see you on the run.


Here's the thing.

If we raced the same age group. You spent 5k more than me on tri gear. And you beat me by 30 seconds - kudos to you. This is a hobby to a lot of us. 5k in the bank is a few week vacation I can take. I value that more than a plastic medal. We both got the same fitness gains out of training, so that really is the difference. Plastic medal or $5000. I know which one I pick.

Cheers


Your initial comment related to Andy Potts. He does this for a living and every second counts.

His equipment choices have cost him money... at least as far as race purses are concerned.

I can't disagree with your comment above. To each their own but your original comment was a statement about a pro and not your average AG'er.

2018 Races:
Oceanside 70.3, Oceanside, CA, April 7th | Ironman Texas, The Woodlands, TX, April 28th | Finland 70.3, Lahti, Finland, June 30th | Jönköping 70.3, Jönköping, Sweden, July 8th

Gear: Dimond Bikes | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Apr 23, 16 9:32
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps he doesn't know about slowtwitch
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 23, 16 10:28
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [tripence] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tripence wrote:
Perhaps the time gain/loss isn't actually as much as the experts have calculated.

Blasphemy.
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Nine minutes and he beats Frodo by nearly two minutes!!! Somebody tell AP aerocamp/ERO/any form of aero testing!

People forget that the pro race doesn't work like this, including the pros themselves. Andy Potts came into T2 in an all out pain train comprised of, what, a dozen other riders? They were glued to each other's wheels because nobody could break away. Potts might have used more energy than he should have that would have allowed him to perform better in the marathon, but he wasn't going off the front solo by five minutes regardless of his tire choice.
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:

And his seat is to high.

Can blame Steinmetz for this one.
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
Nicko wrote:

Wow.
And his seat is too high.


Yup by at least an inch.....

Agreed, from the pic it seems pretty cut and dried.
That is crazy for an athlete of his extraordinary caliber.
I wonder who is doing his fit?
Sounds like a change may be needed.

Now Available: the High-Capacity Speedpack 915/915D Series. Advanced Aero Storage, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com......Reviews......Instagram......Facebook

"Why would you want to be the last man alive on a sinking ship?" -- Elon Musk on why Tesla Motors shares its patents with competitors.
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If we raced the same age group. You spent 5k more than me on tri gear. And you beat me by 30 seconds - kudos to you. This is a hobby to a lot of us. 5k in the bank is a few week vacation I can take.

It isn't about spending $$$, it's using the noggin.
Quote Reply
Re: WHOA! Andy Potts was on Gatorskins and Butyl tubes last year in Kona!!! [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Nine minutes and he beats Frodo by nearly two minutes!!! Somebody tell AP aerocamp/ERO/any form of aero testing!


People forget that the pro race doesn't work like this, including the pros themselves. Andy Potts came into T2 in an all out pain train comprised of, what, a dozen other riders? They were glued to each other's wheels because nobody could break away. Potts might have used more energy than he should have that would have allowed him to perform better in the marathon, but he wasn't going off the front solo by five minutes regardless of his tire choice.

Yes, but he also started out of T1 more or less alone. But this shouldn't matter - even if he spends the entire race stuck in the slipstream of a dozen other riders, a lower rolling resistance still gives him more to work with on the run.
Quote Reply

Prev Next