Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Venge Vias Backlash..... [Epic-o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Epic-o wrote:
I think that you are talking about different Shiv models

Here is what motochris wrote....

Quote:
just like what happened in 2011(or 2012) when specialized rolled out their new shiv at the tour and were told they cant use it

So no, I am talking about the right model. The tri version of the Shic was introduced at Kona 2011.

Now, if motochris was talking about the original Shiv (now Shiv TT) w/ a nosecone, again he is wrong. Not only was it not introduced in 2011/12 (I believe it was late 2008), but the nosecone version was raced at the UCI level (including the TdF) for at least a year. Here is Cancellara racing his Shiv nosecone in the 2009 TdF.

So yeah, motochris' post smells like bullschitt......

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Venge Vias Backlash..... [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The nosecone Shiv got banned in early 2010 during a stage race. Chris D, who was a teammate at the time, scrambled to get an alternative to Contador.
Quote Reply
Re: Venge Vias Backlash..... [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
The nosecone Shiv got banned in early 2010 during a stage race. Chris D, who was a teammate at the time, scrambled to get an alternative to Contador.

Yup....don't remember which race, but that is exactly right. IIRC, there had been rumors swirling that it would get banned, but the actual ruling and timing came as a bit of a surprise.

So that again reiterates that the scenario laid out by motochris is not even close to being factually correct....especially as he then tried to connect that incorrect scenario to why Specialized riders were not riding the Venge Vias at this year's TdF.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And just to put that scenario to rest.....I'm 99.9% certain that sticker on the seatube in this pic is the UCI frame approved sticker.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The nose cone Shiv was banned in Feb of 2010 (also affected the Trinity as it fell foul of the interpreted 8cm rule). Spec knew about it almost a month prior but did nothing. Still Cancellara won Worlds on it a few months before so you can't say that the UCI have it out for Spec.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
And just to put that scenario to rest.....I'm 99.9% certain that sticker on the seatube in this pic is the UCI frame approved sticker.

Correct, that sticker is definitely on the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
To start off, I'm not sure if "backlash" means what the OP thinks it does.

What race in US is 6.5-7 hours? I've long disagreed with ST's *experts* about ride quality but I concur with Mike that it's a big factor for WorldTour guys. They're riding more in some weeks than most of the ST audience does in a month, so different perspective.

I saw the Domane a few weeks ago and have to say was intrigued. We're I to be looking at any bike, that would at top of list.

Also agree with you 100% about buyer. That's who Specialized is making it for. I first saw it at elite nats in June. Way too much bike for me but certainly tips the "looks badass" meter.

When I said backlash, I am referring to the fact the Cav and Sagan weren't riding them as much as they could be. Obviously choosing the old venge instead of this one at times. Most the feedback from people who have actually ridden them on the forums and at the amateur level seems to be pretty positive for the most parts. Most people say it goes like hell, brakes are decent (maybe not the best they have ever ridden, although some people have said adjusting the toe in helps dramatically). So just curious to hear people's thoughts and opinions. The true test at the pro level will be next year when the new season starts, more bikes are available, and whether riders choose to ride them or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

Still wondering how the front brake fits within the 8cm box rule...

http://cds-0.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Epic-o: Oct 9, 15 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: Venge Vias Backlash..... [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mile2424 wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Correct, that sticker is definitely on the frame.

You can always check the UCI approved list: http://www.uci.ch/...andForks_English.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Epic-o wrote:
Power13 wrote:

IIRC brakes are considered separate so you have an extra 8cm to play with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
motochris wrote:
But the treks suck worse... Those teams were forced to ride the new aero Trek bike. The reason why the Venge vias disappeared at the tour for a couple days was due to the UCI complaining the bike was not within spec just like what happened in 2011(or 2012) when specialized rolled out their new shiv at the tour and were told they cant use it

LOL....the Shiv that was introduced in 2011 was a tri-specific bike. It was designed w/o any consideration to UCI rules. Further, it was introduced at Kona, which is October. The Tour is in July. So in 2011, the bike had not been introduced. By the '12 Tour, everyone knew it was UCI illegal. The idea that any team tried to use the Shiv in the Tour is laughable.

Are we talking about the nosecone shiv? Because i think there was some significant UCI discussion on that bike. The VIAS would have clearly been given the go ahead if it was used multiple times. If there was an issue it would have been pulled right away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

What race in US is 6.5-7 hours? I've long disagreed with ST's *experts* about ride quality but I concur with Mike that it's a big factor for WorldTour guys. They're riding more in some weeks than most of the ST audience does in a month, so different perspective.

gtingley wrote:
"What race in US is 6.5-7 hours?"
The only one I can think of is LOTOJA
;)

this was the prompt i needed to get me to finally write up some impressions of the ViAS. as it happens, i've raced LOTOJA 6x (~9h continuous saddle time) on 5 different S-Works bikes, including, most recently, the ViAS.

in fact, i literally JUST got off the ViAS before writing that post.
Last edited by: tetonrider: Oct 9, 15 15:33
Quote Reply
Re: Venge Vias Backlash..... [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Epic-o wrote:
Power13 wrote:

IIRC brakes are considered separate so you have an extra 8cm to play with.

No, it should be contained within the box. Page 34-35 http://www.uci.ch/...2012-ENG_English.PDF

http://cds-0.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to be clear, I was never posting this message saying the bike is a failure. I think most of the naysayers haven't ridden one first hand, or are just passing along the rumors they here such as Cav not liking the brakes, and Sagan not riding for every race, etc. I was just wondering when we will see the pro's adapt and use the bike more regularly, and it seems like this is only a matter of more seat time and more availability to supply the rest of the riders from the pro teams. Nice to see Sagan use it in Stage 4 of AD.
Quote Reply

Prev Next