Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Venge Vias Backlash.....
Quote | Reply
Just thought I would start a separate thread on this. I know everyone seems to be bashing the new Venge, especially since the pro riders haven't been using them. Whether it's rider preference, the brakes, not enough seat time, or whatever the case may be. I don't know how quickly riders typically adjust or switch to the new bikes when they come out. I seem to remember the original venge first being raced at MSR, and it was incorporated relatively quickly to other pro riders after that. So why aren't other pro riders using it? I know some of the ITU triathletes are now using the Vias as well. It will be really interesting to see what happens early next year when the spring classics and big races come back. Marketing wise, it would look really bad if the big names weren't riding the bike. And of course you don't want to force riders to be riding something they don't like, you want them to love it and want to use it for everything day in and day out.

I know some of the guys at Spesh have said the reason Cav and Sagan weren't riding them more during the TdF was that they did not have enough seat time and weren't comfortable using them yet. A few months have passed, and we still aren't seeing them being used. What gives?
Quote Reply
Re: Venge Vias Backlash..... [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has been used at WTS races by Vincent Luis at the very least. Not sure why road racers would pass on it, though. Given Sagan's bike handling skills I have a hard time believing he couldn't ride it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't Cavendish say that he hated the brakes on the Vias?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cavendish didn't like it. Especially braking in the wet.
Quote Reply
Re: Venge Vias Backlash..... [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's wrong with the bikes on both the Venge and Vias?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sagan wasn't even on a Venge period at Worlds.. He rode his tarmac. I'm betting he will be on his Tarmac at Abu Dhabi as well which is very telling as it's pancake flat minus one stage finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contrast this with the new Madone which appeared to be everywhere to me.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am picking mine up today, so can give feedback over next few days. I do know that the LBS replaced the front brake caliper as it was grippy. The bike does look awesome
Quote Reply
Re: Venge Vias Backlash..... [Badger2501] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized just introduced the bike and as is typical today, they don't wait until they have a big inventory sitting on the dock waiting to ship in order to launch a new bike. In addition, it would seem to make sense to put a few out there and get some feedback in case there are some glitches/bugs/incosistencies that need attention. In the meantime, I believe the contract Specialized has with the teams is to supply the Venge as it existed when the contract was written. It would cost a lot of money to immediately outfit these Spec sponsored riders with a new model. Why should Specialized spend much time arming Cavendish with a new bike when he is leaving the team. The Tarmac has always been a little better handling than the Venge so people like Sagan and Contadore will stay on the Tarmac. They are not typically on the front of the pack through most of the road type races. And of course seat time could play a role. I rode my friends Colnago C59 a couple times yet still prefer my Tarmac. I am sure this would change if I put more time on the Colnago but I am not in a buying mood right now and besides, I am perfectly happy with the Tarmac.

Lets wait and see what the field looks like next year and who all is still riding the old Venge. Specialized already rules the podium right now.
Last edited by: NealH: Oct 7, 15 13:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm always surprised at how little attention many cyclists put towards aerodynamics, forgoing simple gains. Specialized appears to have tried to change this, but hasn't had much response.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Venge Vias Backlash..... [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's because most of their 'gains' are in marketing. In the grand scheme of things the difference in frame is negligible when compared to position and clothing on a road bike. Had they made one which could be easily tooled and the pros actually wanted to ride (like the original Venge) then this thread wouldn't exist.
Quote Reply
Re: Venge Vias Backlash..... [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Specialized just introduced the bike and as is typical today, they don't wait until they have a big inventory sitting on the dock waiting to ship in order to launch a new bike. In addition, it would seem to make sense to put a few out there and get some feedback in case there are some glitches/bugs/incosistencies that need attention. In the meantime, I believe the contract Specialized has with the teams is to supply the Venge as it existed when the contract was written. It would cost a lot of money to immediately outfit these Spec sponsored riders with a new model. Why should Specialized spend much time arming Cavendish with a new bike when he is leaving the team. The Tarmac has always been a little better handling than the Venge so people like Sagan and Contadore will stay on the Tarmac. They are not typically on the front of the pack through most of the road type races. And of course seat time could play a role. I rode my friends Colnago C59 a couple times yet still prefer my Tarmac. I am sure this would change if I put more time on the Colnago but I am not in a buying mood right now and besides, I am perfectly happy with the Tarmac.

Lets wait and see what the field looks like next year and who all is still riding the old Venge. Specialized already rules the podium right now.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but I don't think you understand bikes, bike racing, marketing or sponsorship.

There is just a whole lotta stuff in that post that is simply wrong.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Venge Vias Backlash..... [CB3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CB3 wrote:
Sagan wasn't even on a Venge period at Worlds.. He rode his tarmac. I'm betting he will be on his Tarmac at Abu Dhabi as well which is very telling as it's pancake flat minus one stage finish.

Cyclingnews/bikeradar already previewed his World Champs painted Tarmac that he'll use at Abu Dhabi. Zero mention of the Venge or VIAS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Why should Specialized spend much time arming Cavendish with a new bike when he is leaving the team. The Tarmac has always been a little better handling than the Venge so people like Sagan and Contadore will stay on the Tarmac. They are not typically on the front of the pack through most of the road type races..

They're typically on the front when it matters, at the finish.

You want your most prolific riders riding your most prolific bike. Because, advertising...
Quote Reply
Re: Venge Vias Backlash..... [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I thought. Clearly he seems to prefer the Tarmac. I'll be curious to see what happens come 2016 with his bike choice. You don't launch a new bike and not have your most high-profile rider/sprinter on it. No doubt, Spec higher-ups are not happy, regardless of his success on their bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think also relatively few Spesh riders rode the old Venge. Really only the sprinters and even then not always. I always found it quite ironic for a company that is so gung ho about aerodynamics. Compare that to how many Canyon riders ride the Aeroad and there's a huge difference. Valverde is always on the Aeroad, same as Rodriguez. I think only Quintana is on the Ultimate and that may be a fit thing because he's so tiny.
Quote Reply
Re: Venge Vias Backlash..... [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:

You want your most prolific riders riding your most prolific bike. Because, advertising...

Agree they want advertising, but the reality is the risk often isn't worth it. When you're making a 7 figure salary and competing for 7 figures in prize money not to mention the recognition and sponsorship money, its not wise to take unnecessary risks. Contadore won the 2011 Giro on his SL3 Tarmac, months after Specialized introduced the SL4 model. Yes, they wanted him to ride the new model but he chose not to take the risk. Lance was slow in changing over the new Madone also.

By all accounts the SL4 Tarmac has been very successful for Specialized, as has the existing Venge. I doubt the new Venge Vias will repeat that success, but expect it will be a success nevertheless. Lets wait a year and reassess the status. My bet is that Specialized will be bigger than they currently are.
Last edited by: NealH: Oct 7, 15 14:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who is competing for 7-figure prize money?

And the prize money gets contributed to the team...the winner does not keep it.

As for the claims that not many riders rode the Venge, I would suggest some of you go back and watch some of the races this year. Members of QS was on the (old) Venge for much of the TdF, as was Sagan.

I can't say why there aren't more pros riding the Venge Vias....could be a multitude of reasons (including the possibility that they just don't like it).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:

Agree they want advertising, but the reality is the risk often isn't worth it. When you're making a 7 figure salary and competing for 7 figures in prize money not to mention the recognition and sponsorship money, its not wise to take unnecessary risks.

Or they simply don't like the bike because it sucks. That's the message it sends.

As already mentioned, look at the new Madone and all the riders on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been racing mine for two weeks, in really technical crits and strong, blustery winds. Love it. Had no problem with the brakes, either.

Pros are a superstitious bunch, it took years to convince them that deep wheels were faster, and that carbon wheels wouldn't explode udring a cobbled classic.
Quote Reply
Re: Venge Vias Backlash..... [alexZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Sky was sponsored by Specialized we'd have a definitive answer.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time will tell I guess. Worth noting that Cav has previous as he dropped the Scott Foil when it 1st came out (or F0I as it was called then) at the Tour when HTC were riding Scott.

I think in his mind it's illogical if he is not winning so there must be a reason - whats changed ? - oh my bike - we that must be the reason then! I am guessing he is very particularly about he bike and position as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Venge Vias Backlash..... [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
I think also relatively few Spesh riders rode the old Venge. Really only the sprinters and even then not always. I always found it quite ironic for a company that is so gung ho about aerodynamics. Compare that to how many Canyon riders ride the Aeroad and there's a huge difference. Valverde is always on the Aeroad, same as Rodriguez. I think only Quintana is on the Ultimate and that may be a fit thing because he's so tiny.

Agreed, for instance 85% of Katusha rides the Aeroad CF SLX. Even Canyon was suprised by the demand from the pros for this bike when they launched it, and struggled to supply them all. (I have one myself, and it's an impressively capable bike.)
Quote Reply
Re: Venge Vias Backlash..... [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duncan wrote:
snaaijert wrote:

Agreed, for instance 85% of Katusha rides the Aeroad CF SLX. Even Canyon was suprised by the demand from the pros for this bike when they launched it, and struggled to supply them all. (I have one myself, and it's an impressively capable bike.)

I would guess it has more to do with ride quality than anything else. The ProTour guys spend 5 hours a day racing, so many of them are interested in a bike that is both stiff, yet "relatively" comfortable. Giant and Cervelo have the same issues with their teams riding the TCR and R5 over their aero offerings. Let's face it, almost nobody rode the original S5.

If you think about Trek, the decoupler on the new Madone makes for a pretty comfortable ride and Cancellara rode the Domane gravel bike over an old Madone. Canyon may have figured out how to make the new Areohead ride as well as the Ultimate, or maybe the Ultimate is kind of a turd. Part of Specialized's problem could be the the Tarmac is so good not many people want to ride anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Specialized spend much time arming Cavendish with a new bike when he is leaving the team. The Tarmac has always been a little better handling than the Venge so people like Sagan and Contadore will stay on the Tarmac. They are not typically on the front of the pack through most of the road type races.

This is just incorrect.

Both Sagan and Cavendish have Venge VIAS bikes built up for them. It's not a matter of equipping them, they just refuse to use them. Likewise, both of these guys are on the front when it matters and if the bike were as good as the hype, it would give them an advantage over the old Venge as well as Tarmac.

So it comes down to either handling, brakes, comfort or something big enough to offset any aero advantage it has. So if you had a Venge VIAS and Tarmac and ended up riding the Tarmac 98% of the time, would you consider the $6,000 - $12,000 money well spent on the VIAS?
Last edited by: mcmetal: Oct 8, 15 7:14
Quote Reply

Prev Next