Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drluke12 wrote:
Hi Nate. Question on the training plans. For the past few years over the winter, the Intermediate build I and II seems to suit me best. However, going into my third trainer season trying to follow some sort of plan, I'm wondering if I just have to do the same workouts again. Any plans for a variety of the different plans. I would like to see Intermediate Build I and II, but with some different workouts? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Luke

We just launched Low/Mid/High volume sweet spot plans. Mid volume might be good for you at your level.

We're also going to launch some revamped build plans in the next couple weeks. Coach Chad is almost done with those.

Does that help?

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate, quick Q.... When I'm using TR, I tend to use Netflix in a Chrome window. The instructions in the workout the last couple of times I've run it, have disappeared to the desktop, and the only way I can see them, is if I minimize all windows except the TR software.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [hardidu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hardidu wrote:
Hi Nate, quick Q.... When I'm using TR, I tend to use Netflix in a Chrome window. The instructions in the workout the last couple of times I've run it, have disappeared to the desktop, and the only way I can see them, is if I minimize all windows except the TR software.

Thoughts?

Try clicking on TR last, after you've made Chrome full screen. If that doesn't do it, try to just adjust chrome to be full screen instead of actually pushing the full screen button.

Chrome seems to update all the time and the behavior of the full screen text/full screen netflix changes. It's very frustrating for us :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I tried both of those last night. Firefox work better? I'll try that tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
drluke12 wrote:
Hi Nate. Question on the training plans. For the past few years over the winter, the Intermediate build I and II seems to suit me best. However, going into my third trainer season trying to follow some sort of plan, I'm wondering if I just have to do the same workouts again. Any plans for a variety of the different plans. I would like to see Intermediate Build I and II, but with some different workouts? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Luke

We just launched Low/Mid/High volume sweet spot plans. Mid volume might be good for you at your level.

We're also going to launch some revamped build plans in the next couple weeks. Coach Chad is almost done with those.

Does that help?

Nate:

Thanks for all your input and contributions to this thread. I was planning on doing the Sweet Spot Intermediate Build for a winter outseason block. Looks like your sweet spot training plans have all changed as relayed above. Would the equivalent sort of plan be the new Sweet Spot Low Volume I and II?

http://www.teamodz.com
http://www.endurancelab.fit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suunto claims the move stick mini only pairs with Suunto devices. Has anyone had success with pairing Suunto with non Suunto devices? Did you have to download any drivers from Suunto to make this work or did it pair through TR?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [IRONLAV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IRONLAV wrote:
Suunto claims the move stick mini only pairs with Suunto devices. Has anyone had success with pairing Suunto with non Suunto devices? Did you have to download any drivers from Suunto to make this work or did it pair through TR?

We've used the Suunto (and recommended it) for about 2 years :).

Just download the drivers associated with trainerroad on this page: http://www.trainerroad.com/install

If you're on a mac you won't have to install any drivers :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got it all paired up. I had to download the Garmin drivers to set it up. Thanks, can't wait to get started.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New member about to sign up but need some simple questions answered. I have a feeling they are answered on this thread but its way too long to read it all.
I have two bikes
Bike 1: no power meter, cadence and speed Garmin sensor (with magnet for indoor speed)
Bike 2. Power tap and a Garmin Cadence sensor on the crank.

I have a Garmin 910xt and would want all my training on the Garmin connect. Also currently have the KK road machine.

With bike 1, I believe that the sensors will transmit data to both the 910 and the laptop (with the usb dongle) and all be fine. I follow the laptop workout and the Garmin collects the entire workout.
With bike 2, I believe that the power tap will transmit power and speed and the cadence sensor to both the 910xt and the Laptop. Same as above

Q1. Are my assumptions above correct?
Q2. With trainerroad, can I pair with all of the above sensors and it will pair with what ever bike I use?

Q3. I am also considering upgrading the KK to the Wahoo Kickr. With the rear wheel off there is no speed data on bike 1 and no power or speed on bike 2. I believe that the Kickr can determine speed and power. Does it transmit that to the trainerroad via ANT? How does the 910xt get the data, OR how do I get the entire workout to the Garmin Connect in this arrangement?
Q4. Finally, do you guys think it is worth the upgrade from the KK to the Wahoo?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as the technology goes: The devices dont send "to" other devices. They just put the data out there. There is no addressing done; data is recognized by the sender data (powertap has an ID, GSC-10 another, HR strap another) and you can pick the signal up by how many head units you want to, just pair them. The sending devices have no idea. They just send.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if I use the wahoo, it determines power and speed. Does it transmit that over ant out just use it internally for its own application. IOW, with the wahoo, how do I get all the data suited in Garmin connect
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Nate,

Just 'replied' to your response mainly to get your attention for my unrelated question.

I've started using the Workout Creator.

My first attempt worked out well. Once finished creating, I 'published' and it does show up in my workout searches.

But, my second attempt at creating my own workout is turning out differently. Once finished creating, I published it. It is showing up on the left, just like my first workout. Looks like everything went smooth. But, when I open up the Trainerroad App to do the workout, it says it can't find my workout. What am I doing wrong? Really don't think I did anything differently from the first successful creation to the second unsuccessful workout creation.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the time!

UPDATE;
Nate, I got it. I just had to hit the 'Reset' on the App Workout filter thingy. Once I did that, and then searched for my custom workout, it popped right up.

Thanks again.

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Last edited by: morpheus: Nov 1, 14 9:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
So if I use the wahoo, it determines power and speed. Does it transmit that over ant out just use it internally for its own application. IOW, with the wahoo, how do I get all the data suited in Garmin connect

I have the Kickr paired to both Trainer Road and a Garmin Edge via ANT+. This gets the workouts loaded into Garmin Connect just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [MNrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long till Apple approves the app?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speed on a trainer is an entirely irrelevant number. Like IQ in a beauty contest. Nice to know, but means NOTHING.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [hardidu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hardidu wrote:
Speed on a trainer is an entirely irrelevant number. Like IQ in a beauty contest. Nice to know, but means NOTHING.
Perhaps, but you do get speed/distance from the wahoo to your garmin device right?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
morpheus wrote:
Hey Nate,

Just 'replied' to your response mainly to get your attention for my unrelated question.

I've started using the Workout Creator.

My first attempt worked out well. Once finished creating, I 'published' and it does show up in my workout searches.

But, my second attempt at creating my own workout is turning out differently. Once finished creating, I published it. It is showing up on the left, just like my first workout. Looks like everything went smooth. But, when I open up the Trainerroad App to do the workout, it says it can't find my workout. What am I doing wrong? Really don't think I did anything differently from the first successful creation to the second unsuccessful workout creation.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the time!

UPDATE;
Nate, I got it. I just had to hit the 'Reset' on the App Workout filter thingy. Once I did that, and then searched for my custom workout, it popped right up.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the update. That filter has caused more confusion! That's bad design by me, it's not clear enough showing that you have a filter applied to your workouts.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
New member about to sign up but need some simple questions answered. I have a feeling they are answered on this thread but its way too long to read it all.
I have two bikes
Bike 1: no power meter, cadence and speed Garmin sensor (with magnet for indoor speed)
Bike 2. Power tap and a Garmin Cadence sensor on the crank.

I have a Garmin 910xt and would want all my training on the Garmin connect. Also currently have the KK road machine.

With bike 1, I believe that the sensors will transmit data to both the 910 and the laptop (with the usb dongle) and all be fine. I follow the laptop workout and the Garmin collects the entire workout.
With bike 2, I believe that the power tap will transmit power and speed and the cadence sensor to both the 910xt and the Laptop. Same as above

Q1. Are my assumptions above correct?
Q2. With trainerroad, can I pair with all of the above sensors and it will pair with what ever bike I use?

Q3. I am also considering upgrading the KK to the Wahoo Kickr. With the rear wheel off there is no speed data on bike 1 and no power or speed on bike 2. I believe that the Kickr can determine speed and power. Does it transmit that to the trainerroad via ANT? How does the 910xt get the data, OR how do I get the entire workout to the Garmin Connect in this arrangement?
Q4. Finally, do you guys think it is worth the upgrade from the KK to the Wahoo?

Thanks

Q1: Yes. I'd swap the PT wheel between bikes so that you get consistent power readings, plus you can pace during races with the zones you've established indoors.
Q2: Yes
Q3: Kickr transmits speed and power, both via ANT+ and BT. I wouldn't worry about speed since you'll be doing your workouts in ERG mode. That locks in the wattage no matter what your cadence is. You could have a trainer speed of 30 mph at 70 watts.
Q4: They are both excellent.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate:

Trying to figure out the difference between the traditional base and the sweet spot base. I just did the traditional base low, medium and high over the last three months. Was planning on doing two more months of base until mid-january and then starting build. Wondering if I should go with the traditional base high volume II and then III or the sweet spot base high volume I and II? Is it all just a function of the time you have, so if there is enough time do the traditional since it is more hours? Or is there another reason to do the sweet spot even though it is less hours? Ultimate goal is faster long rides and climbing, not racing.

thanks, and love the program.

Jonathan
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [sbrsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sbrsport wrote:
Nate:

Trying to figure out the difference between the traditional base and the sweet spot base. I just did the traditional base low, medium and high over the last three months. Was planning on doing two more months of base until mid-january and then starting build. Wondering if I should go with the traditional base high volume II and then III or the sweet spot base high volume I and II? Is it all just a function of the time you have, so if there is enough time do the traditional since it is more hours? Or is there another reason to do the sweet spot even though it is less hours? Ultimate goal is faster long rides and climbing, not racing.

thanks, and love the program.

Jonathan

The vast majority of people (especially triathletes) should do sweet spot base. Here's the best way to think about it:

Traditional Base
- I have lots of available training time in the winter
- I've been riding for a long time and I'm beginning to see diminishing returns
- My race season is many months away, and I plan on training for many months in a row
- I'm ok with building a base (which might be boring) to reap rewards later

Sweet Spot Base (Majority of People)
- I have a reasonable amount of time to train, but it's not my life
- I'm also running and swimming
- My race season is a few months away
- I still have a lot of improvement to make on the bike
- I like the variety and challenge of sweet spot work
- I want to see an FTP improvement in 6-8 weeks

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheSufferfest just released their new app which allows you to stream their videos via a monthly subscription. Is there any development, that you can comment on, between them and you guys to allow the same functionality within your soon-to-be-release iOS app? What is the status of your app too? Thanks.

Rob

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate,
I just signed up to TR. Looks like a cool product.
I am coming off of IMFL and am currently recovering from it so probably another 1-2 wks of easy pedaling here.
My plan for 2015 is to do 2 marathons and a HIM with the target races being the marathons. But 2016 will be an IM year with IMWI for sure and maybe another IM and a couple HIM there.
I would like to increase my FTP and my muscular endurance on the bike in 2015 while run training for the marathons. Regardless of the run training, I plan on biking 4x per week for a total of 6 hours.
What is your suggestion on which plans to do on TR?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also,

I have yet to do one of the workouts, but with the upcoming iOS app, would it be possible to add voice commands if it is not there already?
I could take my iphone with me on the trails and with an ear piece follow the plan if I am being told what to do. It would allow me to do the training outside if I weather is great, which normally is in FL.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [rbrnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbrnut wrote:
TheSufferfest just released their new app which allows you to stream their videos via a monthly subscription. Is there any development, that you can comment on, between them and you guys to allow the same functionality within your soon-to-be-release iOS app? What is the status of your app too? Thanks.

Rob

App has been submitted. We got rejected the first time we submitted because we weren't marking your local workout files as "do not backup" in iCloud :(. Apple doesn't think your workout files deserve to be backed up :).

Nothing to comment on SF + TR on iOS, sorry.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Nate,
I just signed up to TR. Looks like a cool product.
I am coming off of IMFL and am currently recovering from it so probably another 1-2 wks of easy pedaling here.
My plan for 2015 is to do 2 marathons and a HIM with the target races being the marathons. But 2016 will be an IM year with IMWI for sure and maybe another IM and a couple HIM there.
I would like to increase my FTP and my muscular endurance on the bike in 2015 while run training for the marathons. Regardless of the run training, I plan on biking 4x per week for a total of 6 hours.
What is your suggestion on which plans to do on TR?

Thanks.

I'd go through the sweet spot base plans and move to the sweet spot build (soon to be released).

Go either low volume and add a workout or do the mid volume plan and take away a workout to match your needs.

There's no voice commands in the app. I hear you on wanting to take the app outdoors. Right now we're trying to make it a really wonderful indoor experience before we move outdoors.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply

Prev Next