Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
No rush random question since I saw this thread at the top and happened to be thinking about this as I brushed my teeth this morning (not sure why).

But any testing on window 10 preview yet? or any reason that you can think of the installer would kick it out saying unsupported OS? Haven't loaded it on any machines yet but my only current junk machine is my trainer machine, yes I Can run it on a VM but figured I would ask :)

Okay, we just tested. It does install and work on Windows 10 preview.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, Huge kudos to TrainerRoad, I recommend to any and all cyclists I know. I have been a client since December 2012 with 149 workouts to date. In the early days, there were some minor glitches, but they were always resolved quickly, and in fact in 2013-2014, have had no issues at all.

A question I have. I have not done an FTP test since December 2012 even though I am sure that my FTP has gone up because I am dealing with exercise induced asthma that is not fully resolved. I take 3 asthma medications daily, so it's better than it was, but at high intensity, I still get spams. Just a few weeks ago, I tried to better my time on a local mountain with having a few friends pace me, and I had to stop after 3K with major spasms.

There are two things I do that sort of help. One, push hard for a kilometre or so at the beginning of a ride, it hurts like hell when I stop and spasm, but it eventually settles down and I'm ok for the rest of the ride.
Long warmup with some strong efforts/hills, just below the point of spasms.

So, I am trying to figure out a protocol whereby I can do the 20 minute test but not get into spasms. My current FTP is 230, I suspect I might be closer to 300 at this point. Do I start at 242 (keeping the 95% in mind) and then every 2 minutes move up by 10 watts or preferable to try to aim for say 270 watts, see how that feels and either maintain or go up when I feel I can?

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cervelo-van] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cervelo-van wrote:
First, Huge kudos to TrainerRoad, I recommend to any and all cyclists I know. I have been a client since December 2012 with 149 workouts to date. In the early days, there were some minor glitches, but they were always resolved quickly, and in fact in 2013-2014, have had no issues at all.

A question I have. I have not done an FTP test since December 2012 even though I am sure that my FTP has gone up because I am dealing with exercise induced asthma that is not fully resolved. I take 3 asthma medications daily, so it's better than it was, but at high intensity, I still get spams. Just a few weeks ago, I tried to better my time on a local mountain with having a few friends pace me, and I had to stop after 3K with major spasms.

There are two things I do that sort of help. One, push hard for a kilometre or so at the beginning of a ride, it hurts like hell when I stop and spasm, but it eventually settles down and I'm ok for the rest of the ride.
Long warmup with some strong efforts/hills, just below the point of spasms.

So, I am trying to figure out a protocol whereby I can do the 20 minute test but not get into spasms. My current FTP is 230, I suspect I might be closer to 300 at this point. Do I start at 242 (keeping the 95% in mind) and then every 2 minutes move up by 10 watts or preferable to try to aim for say 270 watts, see how that feels and either maintain or go up when I feel I can?

Woah! I'm not qualified to give advice on how to warm up with your medical condition.

For anyone else reading this, you don't have to do a test to figure out your FTP. Just raising it manually and being able to "do the workouts" qualifies. That's one of the 7 deadly sins of FTP testing.

From http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/...ven-deadly-sins.html

"the seven deadly sins....
...er, ways of determining your functional threshold power (roughly in order of increasing certainty):

1) from inspection of a ride file.
2) from power distribution profile from multiple rides.
3) from blood lactate measurements (better or worse, depending on how it is done).
4) based on normalized power from a hard ~1 h race.
5) using critical power testing and analysis.
6) from the power that you can routinely generate during long intervals done in training.
7) from the average power during a ~1 h TT (the best predictor of performance is performance itself).

Note the key words "hard", "routinely", and "average" in methods 4, 6 and 7..."

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:

Okay, we just tested. It does install and work on Windows 10 preview.

Cool I'll give it a try in a week or two and report any issues I run into.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on week 4 of the 40K TT Low Volume program and was wondering if doing another 8-minutes test after week 6 would be a good time to re-test to get a new FTP number. Seems like 12 weeks at the original value is a long stretch without a retest. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signed up for TrainerRoad earlier this week and my sessions on the trainer are already a lot more comfortable. I've two questions, though:

1. Does anyone have experience with just using HR for workouts? My PowerTap broke a few weeks ago ($600+ repair fee..) and I don't really want to buy a new power meter now with all these developments going on.
2. When you decided on a trainer plan, do you just do the workouts, or is there some way to "select" the plan on the site/client?

Pain is temporary.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at the end of week 4 there is almost a test build in...I think it is called “lola.” Whatever you hold for that 27 min period you can adjust your FTP to. No need to do a 20 min test and then adjust down a bit when you have a nice 27 tt build in to that workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is some food for thought and should not be viewed as sound medical advice...just 2 cents from a forum member.

I would try something akin to a desensitization protocol. I would take a long time to warm up slowly increasing bust of power interrupted by periods of relative rest. In this way you will release some of the factors that cause your bronchi to spasm and then let your liver clear them a bit. Hopefully by the time to start the test period a lot of the factors (histamine, leukotrienes, ... ) will be consumed, therefore less should be released during the 20 min test and you won’t become symptomatic. You’ll have to do some trial and error to see what will work but I’d try something like: 2min easy, 1 min at 80% ftp, 2 min easy, 1 min at ftp, 2 min easy, 1 min at 120% ftp, 2 min easy, 1 min at 140% of ftp, 2 min easy, 2 min at 120% ftp, 10 min easy, 20 min test (where ftp is your predicted one for the workout). You might find that you need more rest in-between efforts or you might need more intense intervals to get things triggered to clear.

Hope this make some sense and all the best on your next attempt.

Also if you google “desensitization protocols” you’ll find tons of information for people allergic to antibiotics, aspirin, ... and I’m just guessing the same concept might work for you, the only difference is your trigger is intense exercise.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [DextrosePLZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, I will try that. This is timely because 2 days ago I was at the gym, did about a 45 minute workout, nothing too major. Started to have a bit of accelerated breathing when I went to the locker room, showered and while I was changing it kept getting worse till it was uncontrollable.

Luckily, the gym had oxygen. I was having real difficulty standing up or walking. Eventually ended up in emergency, but it had calmed down by then. Still feeling the effects today. Did a 60 minute Recess TR workout today, HR was higher than what I would expect at that effort, but thst calmed down towards the end. However it took some effort to walk 1.5 blocks to the grocery store. Can u see the addiction to TrainerRoad?

A friend who has had asthma most of her life told me to take it easy for a few days as it can stress the system and that's very true.

I will also try what Nate suggested, put a higher FTP in the settings and see how I do on workouts based on the higher number.

Thanks alll

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sheezh..... I thought my asthma was bad! I'm not sure I'd be training if I were having so many severe exacerbations. Does your pulmo say it's ok to do these hard bike workouts? Good luck.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [joelcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joelcox wrote:
Signed up for TrainerRoad earlier this week and my sessions on the trainer are already a lot more comfortable. I've two questions, though:

1. Does anyone have experience with just using HR for workouts? My PowerTap broke a few weeks ago ($600+ repair fee..) and I don't really want to buy a new power meter now with all these developments going on.
2. When you decided on a trainer plan, do you just do the workouts, or is there some way to "select" the plan on the site/client?

There's no way to select a plan on the site, although we've already started to do the design work to fix that :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [joelcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: the Powertap, if you were just using a compatible trainer and already have a speed sensor, you should be able to use virtual power on TrainerRoad. If you don't have a speed sensor, it's a $40 fix.

Virtual power may not be the best - but probably better than HR.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [OkotoksLawyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
joelcox wrote:

There's no way to select a plan on the site, although we've already started to do the design work to fix that :).

Thanks for the reply and great product, Nate!

OkotoksLawyer wrote:
Re: the Powertap, if you were just using a compatible trainer and already have a speed sensor, you should be able to use virtual power on TrainerRoad. If you don't have a speed sensor, it's a $40 fix.

Virtual power may not be the best - but probably better than HR.

Sadly my trainer is not compatible with TR (Elite Travel Fluid). I read in the TrainerRoad FAQ that it's better to do Traditional Base I based on heart rate, so that's why I asked :). I guess I'll start doing Traditional Base I next week, extend it with two weeks and pull the trigger on a new PM on Black Friday.

Pain is temporary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just completed my first TR ride. I did the 20 minute test. I'm using a KK Road Machine, Garmin GSC 10 speed/cadence sensor, Garmin HR, and a Suunto Movestick.

Everything immediately connected upon pairing and worked flawlessly. Impressive!

Starting with a 227 after the test. Surprised I even survived that 20 minute push since I haven't really ridden for over a year. I did just run a marathon PR, so I haven't been on the couch. ;-)

I'm hooked already. Thanks TR team! Let's do this.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [TriWithT1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriWithT1 wrote:
Just completed my first TR ride. I did the 20 minute test. I'm using a KK Road Machine, Garmin GSC 10 speed/cadence sensor, Garmin HR, and a Suunto Movestick.

Everything immediately connected upon pairing and worked flawlessly. Impressive!

Starting with a 227 after the test. Surprised I even survived that 20 minute push since I haven't really ridden for over a year. I did just run a marathon PR, so I haven't been on the couch. ;-)

I'm hooked already. Thanks TR team! Let's do this.

Awesome! Thanks! :)

Go get 'em ;)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am getting an error publishing from the Workout Creator lately. It is a very simple tool with very few steps and I was creating either from new or clone, but the past couple weeks it started giving me the error publishing.
Any thoughts what may be causing this issue?

Everything else seems to work fine right up until the publishing part.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could be a username/password problem. Try logging out and logging back in.

If that doesn't work, e-mail us at support@trainerroad.com and we'll figure out what's going on.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate, will you guys be adding more IM courses?? I love what you did with the texas course, 70.3 vineman. so awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yah, join the best bike split team: http://www.trainerroad.com/teams/38-bestbikesplit

There's a bunch in there :).

Edit: You can also create your own from the best bike split website.

Edit2: Here's a video showing how to do that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU-J3Ax5kD4

CEO at TrainerRoad
Last edited by: Nate Pearson: Oct 20, 14 14:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome i didnt realize you could actually do that. I like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Could be a username/password problem. Try logging out and logging back in.

That worked
I just didn't think to do that since my workouts were uploading and downloading to/from my TR online account.

Thanks Nate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone use the following set up? Timex Speed Cadence Sensor and a Suunto movestick mini with Trainerroad? Did everything pair up smoothly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Autumn has officially started here and with that the clocks went back as well losing us an hour of daylight so its Trainer Road and Rollers time!
Lost 6w from last year according to todays FTP test :(
I'll go looking for it over the next few months.

Like the links to BBS.
Still dislike the last 5 mins of the 20 test.

Dont complain about the results you did n't get from the training you did n't do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate. Question on the training plans. For the past few years over the winter, the Intermediate build I and II seems to suit me best. However, going into my third trainer season trying to follow some sort of plan, I'm wondering if I just have to do the same workouts again. Any plans for a variety of the different plans. I would like to see Intermediate Build I and II, but with some different workouts? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Luke
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [IRONLAV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IRONLAV wrote:
Does anyone use the following set up? Timex Speed Cadence Sensor and a Suunto movestick mini with Trainerroad? Did everything pair up smoothly?

Since that sensor is ANT+ it should work great!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply

Prev Next