Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [undertheradar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread inspired me, so here is a short writeup of how I built my first disc wheel. The wheel is built with BHS SL210 hub, Sapim Lasers and a BHS c22w rim laced 16:8. Molds were cnc milled from Sikablock M700, sealed first with epoxy, then mold sealant and finally treated with release agent. The layup is (from the outside) one layer 160g/m2 spread tow fabric, 1.2mm airex with a particular cut pattern (see photo) and again a layer of 160g/m2 spread tow with four cutouts (about 15mm offset relative to the cutout in the foam so the inner fabric layer meets the outer). The covers were then glued to the rims with UHU Poly Max. There is almost no gap ( 0 to 0.5mm) between cover and brake track. Weight of the finished wheel is 1112g.
The wheel works fine but still has potential for improvement. Maybe avoid the four cutouts in the central part of foam and inner layer, in the section where there is only a single layer of fabric a carbon tow with superglue (on the inside) had to be added to avoid any flopping.

Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [SLOTOPO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [undertheradar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although this is a very old post, thanks for the lead. I just switched to an ICE VTX racing trike, and the only good option for a 20" wheel cover is Streamline, in the UK, for $500. Industrial Plastic Supply is only 30 miles from my home. This should be a fun project.
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [Denny Crane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wanted to res this thread to see if anyone has done anything new with this idea/concept.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [No Grit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at doing this but am curious how well it will work with disc brakes. Wheel builder says the brake calipers will rub on the cover and aren't compatible where as ez gains says they have them available. But at 1/10th the cost of the ez gains solution it seems worth it to DIY. Especially given I have quite a few plastic manufacturers with 15-20 minute drive of me.
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did my own homemade disc cover with my Cervelo P-series on vision team 30 wheels. Had no issues with disc brake clearance.
Quote Reply

Prev Next