Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons
Quote | Reply
The next tri race I do, I've decided that, when and if I hear the "Eye Of The Tiger," song again, before a triathlon race, I'm just getting back into my car, and going home.

There's just no point in going on, after being forced to listen to the group "Survivor" before anything competitive, after high school, or junior high, at least. I thought that shit ended back then. But apparently it has not.

Its an assault on whatever dignity I have as an adult human being, if any anyway, to endure such madness, because not only is it played once, it's played throughout the race. "Rocky Music" must be the national anthem of Triathlon Racing. Yet, for as many intelligent people involved in this sport, we play goon music. And what simpletons get pumped up by this retarded music? "Uhhhh, I was really feeling, tired, until that Rocky Music fired up, then everything sort of came together: the pictures of Rocky Balboa getting his ass kicked, and running up the Philly capitol, when he swallowed all of those eggs, the Adrian thing, his triumphant victory, and so on, oh....man, now I'm ready to hammer!"

And who, or which race director, keeps the Survivor CD? Or would admit to it? I bet he throws that son of a bitch away right after the race, for fear, that if he left it in his or her car, or accidentally brought it home, his friends might see it, and laugh at him.

And what an ordeal it must be to have forgotten to bring the Eye of the Tiger song, before the race:

"Uh, Gary. I just told everybody to come check in, get a bike rack, and get their timers on and so on. Where's the Rocky Music cd?"

"Shit, I forgot it."

"You forgot Eye Of the Tiger? How could you?"

"Yeah."

"Gary, we can't have the race until we fire up Eye of The Tiger."

"Well, I threw it away last year."

"I'll go run to Wal-mart real quick, and get that Survivor CD. Be right back."

"We don't have time. Give me the microphone, for a minute."

Microphone: "Okay, can I have everybody's attention. This includes you peole swimming out in the lake. Listen up. We lost the Eye Of The Tiger song, does anybody out there, happen, by chance have it, listening to it in their cars? And, listen, in case you do, Gary and I will turn our backs, so as not to see who actually owns that, and you can leave it at the table. Thanks."
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note to myself: remember to leave the Survivor collection inside the house during next year's IMCDA. . .

Thanks, booth!

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know people who play that song to get fired up to WATCH football on TV.

I did like the song I heard at a criterium one time "Sunday Bloody Sunday" by U2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
could be worse. could be gary glitter or who let the dogs out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Uhhhh, I was really feeling, tired, until that Rocky Music fired up, then everything sort of came together:

If you can't get fired up listening to Conquest (Rocky II) and War (IV) and Training Anthem (IV), then you can't get fired up.

Yeah ... I own the CD's. =) I agree EOT has run its course.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a pox on the modern race scene.

I hereby move that we replace Eye of The Tiger with Boom! by POD.

"Is that all you got? Well, take your best shot."

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe you are dogging Eye of the Tiger...

I can't get enough of that song...or the Starbucks commercial spin-off either.

My high school hockey team used that as a warm-up song and I've never so many people get so riled up, most sarcastically/mockingly enjoying the song, before an event...but I still loved it...every single moment of it. Maybe b/c I was in grade school when the actual movie came out and discovered it about 10 years later than everyone else...but still.

Come on...sing a little with me...."Risin' up, back on the streets...took my time, took my chances...went the distance now I'm back on the top..."

Not even a little? ....come on people, who's with me here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you should do stand up comedy! I had a great laugh...

not bad!

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: Greg/ORD: Sep 16, 04 14:04
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [madisonbucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You and TT, I'm serious here, you guys need to delete your posts.

Now, I'm probably not as fast as you two, but I damn sure know, if its any consolation, you may beat my ass badly in a race, should we ever be in the same race, probably by a huge amount, but, as I see you two, going out for your warm down run, while I'm just starting my run, I will have the small comfort of knowing that I am freaking light years ahead of you two guys in music taste.

Light years.
Last edited by: boothrand: Sep 16, 04 14:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Survivor Starbucks commercials:

"Booth! Booth-Booth-Booth! Booth-Booth-Booooottthhhhhh!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that it really depends on the race and who is in control of the music. I know at the Trisport races in Ontario that Kevin MacKinnon the race announcer brings his own CD's to the events and has a great range of techno, house, ambient and world music along with some schloky classics that he plays. It's usually a great mix. At IMC they use a local club DJ, and he's good. A great mix of stuff. He introduced me to one of my all time fav pieces of music - "Swamp Thing", by The Grid - when I was working with Steve King a few years ago.

Other races I have been to seem to be stuck in a particular decade( yikes, the 70's) - perhaps the choice of the RD. Who knows?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe you don't love this stuff....seriously Booth, I have great taste in music....I consider myself well versed in good music...

but when it comes to going mentally bizerk before a race...very few songs will do it for me like a little Eye of the Tiger...

Just for those curious or out of the know...

Eye Of The Tiger
Survivor

Risin' up, back on the street
Did my time, took my chances
Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
Just a man and his will to survive

So many times, it happens too fast
You trade your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

It's the eye of the tiger, it's the thrill of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge of our rival
And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night
And he's watchin' us all with the eye of the tiger

Face to face, out in the heat
Hangin' tough, stayin' hungry
They stack the odds, still we take to the street
For the kill with the will to survive

Risin' up, straight to the top
Had the guts, got the glory
Went the distance, now I'm not gonna stop
Just a man and his will to survive

The eye of the tiger
The eye of the tiger
The eye of the tiger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do a search on PubMed, you will find a study that prooves, without question, that Eye of the Tiger gets you 40% more pumped before a race than those who listened to no music at all, and 15% more pumped than any Linkin Park song.

Personally, I can't get enough of the Tiger!

John... John, John, John... John, John, John... John, John, Joooohhhhn!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Between the "looking good is more important than winning thread" and this one, I am about to get a hernia from laughing. Well, count your blessings Booth, they aren't playing 'Thriller' at your local race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look what Rocky songs I listed. Listen to them. Come back with a changed opinion and apologize (<-- joke). The songs I listed were fast-paced instrumental "modern versions of classical music" type training anthems.

I listened to EotT back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-repeated infinity while I jumped rope, played basketball, baseball, karate, heavy bag, etc while I was in 7th grade. I had my fill of the song. But, Rocky music in general ... especially the training anthems and fight instrumental music is very heart-thumping. It's almost like "macho-techno" (oxymoron?).

Plus, I like the song "No easy Way Out" but I only let my close friends know that.

Triathlon theme song should be that "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor ..." song. ... or Megadeath's "Crush 'Em" ... or Pantera's "Cemetary Gates" ... or No Doubt's "I'm Just a Girl" ... wait, how'd that last one slip in there?

---------------------------

FWIW, I dount you're slower than I am. But, if you want the title of "slowtwitch's slowest" it can be yours for a very, very, very low price.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Sep 16, 04 14:42
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Between the "looking good is more important than winning thread" and this one, I am about to get a hernia from laughing. Well, count your blessings Booth, they aren't playing 'Thriller' at your local race...

I'm biased, but I thought the "A walk through a typical IM trip" thread had a pretty good laugh in it too : )

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky does not run up the steps of the Philadelphia Capitol; there is no such thing. He is running up the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum. True story: he donated a statue of himself as Rocky to the Museum and they initially tried to refuse it. I am not sure why; the Museum itself has plenty of garbage in it. Most of the second floor was devoted to modern "art", like a circle of rocks on the floor, the last time I was there. The statue was eventually moved to the Spectrum, I think, with a great deal of difficulty.

It's actually a pretty good length run from South Philly where he is supposed to live to the Art Museum and back. The Art Museum steps themselves, however, are not very hard because they are neither steep nor that many, but it is kind of fun to run up them and the view is great from the top.
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The Art Museum steps themselves, however, are not very hard because they are neither steep nor that many, but it is kind of fun to run up them and the view is great from the top.

True true. A few years back, I was in Philly on a 'business trip' (to play a gig at a big convention), and I went for a run along the river there, out towards Manayunk and back. On the way back, of course I *had* to run up the steps . . . there were a few kids hanging out at the bottom of the steps, and as I ran up, they started chanting; 'Rock-Y!, Rock-Y!'

Was great for a laugh, and I can say I've done it. FWIW, the statue was still there then.
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, if you want to go real heavy for triathlon theme songs, you could go with: "More Human than Human" - White Zombie, "Mouth for War" - Pantera, "For Whom the Bell Tolls" - Metallica, "Breathe" - Prodigy, "Megalomanic" - KMFDM, "War Ensemble" - Slayer, "Hey Man, Nice Shot" - Filter, "Eraser" - Nine Inch Nails, "Liberate" - Disturbed

however if i listened to this before an IM, i'd definitely DNF after blowing up in the swim before i hit the first buoy.
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [Quadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I like the Survivor Starbucks commercials:

"Booth! Booth-Booth-Booth! Booth-Booth-Booooottthhhhhh!"[/reply]

Yeah!!! A couple of friends of mine who watched me race this past summer in Muncie did this everytime I went by. MIKE! MIKE-MIKE-MIKE!!! By the time I got to the run it had me laughing so hard I think I pulled something.

But I have to agree, the 80s pop-wanna-be-rock stuff isn't to my tastes. I'm with RSum716.
Last edited by: legion: Sep 16, 04 15:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very funny.

At least EOT has some link to the athletic. What about all of the OTHER songs they play. For example, Laura Branigan's Gloria. WTF??? Can you explain how that gets into the line up??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a great thread.

Seriously, I've found that the music at triathlons is generally excellent--there's a lot of stuff I've never really heard before that's really cool. I wish some guy who does the music for triathlons would package it up and sell it as a cd.

Dopey! Dopey-Dopey-Dopey! Dopey-Dopey-Dopey! Dopey-Dopey-Dopeeeeeeeey!!!
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [dopey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His name is John Tesh.

And he will woo you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Lunatic Fringe" by Tom Cochrane and Red Rider seemed appropriate as we stood in the water waiting for the cannon at IMC this year, really hit home for me after as I started way too far forward and in the middle of the pack!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I had a pretty stressful morning here at work and I needed a good laugh to lift my spirits, I thought I would bump up this classic thread...
Quote Reply

Prev Next