Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [bobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bobo wrote:
Here's a crazy thought...at a bzillion dollar event with a coupla thousand well-charged participants, how 'bouts when the swim starts, start the road brush-mobile on its lap around the course.
What'd that cost, $1000? Ten race tubulars?

You're welcome, WTC.

-bobo

Generally, the sweepers appear to top out at 20 mph. They'd get caught. You'd have to have 5 or 6 staged ~18 miles apart. And there is nothing to prevent someone from sabotaging right after the sweeper passes.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
bobo wrote:
Here's a crazy thought...at a bzillion dollar event with a coupla thousand well-charged participants, how 'bouts when the swim starts, start the road brush-mobile on its lap around the course.

You're welcome, WTC.

-bobo

Generally, the sweepers appear to top out at 20 mph. They'd get caught. You'd have to have 5 or 6 staged ~18 miles apart. And there is nothing to prevent someone from sabotaging right after the sweeper passes.

John

Right on. I don't think anybody can fault WTC or any other race organization for something like this. There is only so much that can be done and if some local wannabe terrorist is going to do something like this, they'll figure out a way around any efforts to preempt it. If the organizers swept the course, they'd find another way to try and screw it up.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There were tacks at Wisconsin this year as well. Seems like there are just jackasses everywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [IREPathletics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is really horrible. Some people have too much time on their hands and too much hate in their hearts. That said, I have to mention:

I think I know who did it.
It was Little Debbie.
She might look sweet and taste fine, but she is upset with the new marketing slogan: "when you think Ironman, think Little Debbie snack cakes"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
bobo wrote:

You're welcome, WTC.

-bobo

John

Drones, baby...Have a few drones hover over the course. They could provide coverage of the race AND monitor the roads. WTC could even arm them with a few missiles and take out these domestic terrorists!

In all honesty, it has to suck to be a victim of that kind of sabotage.

Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [jph437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree completely. IM and Chattanooga put on a fantastic race. The ppl with the oil and tacks are just random dicks. They exist in every city.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running mom wrote:
This is really horrible. Some people have too much time on their hands and too much hate in their hearts. That said, I have to mention:

It was Little Debbie.
She might look sweet and taste fine, but she is upset with the new marketing slogan: "when you think Ironman, think Little Debbie snack cakes"

POTD

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running mom wrote:

It was Little Debbie.

Made my day!
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:
Dumping tacks and oil onto the road is probably the result a republican/conservative tactic within the bible belt to discourage cycling. I could be wrong, but out here in the liberal west coast, I can't recall an incident of slime balls dumping tacks onto an event bike course.

Really?

It's happened in Maryland - a state not known for its Republicans of late.

Apparently narrow-mindedness knows no political pounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were tacks thrown on the road at Galveston 70.3 in 2011 near the turn-around point. I initially thought people were flatting on broken seashells along the seawall but learned after the race it was, in fact, tacks.

There was also oil dumped on the Kansas 70.3 course in 2012. I didn't race it that year but was told that those triathletes that were also cyclocrossers did pretty good navigating the troubled area!

--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Sir.Vaylo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sir.Vaylo wrote:
Running mom wrote:

It was Little Debbie.

Made my day!

Somebody has got to photoshop Little Debbie holding a handful of tacks instead of some snack cakes and post it here.

Anyway, I wouldn't even go as far as saying it has to have been angry rural anti-cyclists. Teenagers would do it just because they think it's funny and don't know how dangerous it actually is.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Bull_Winkle wrote:
Dumping tacks and oil onto the road is probably the result a republican/conservative tactic within the bible belt to discourage cycling. I could be wrong, but out here in the liberal west coast, I can't recall an incident of slime balls dumping tacks onto an event bike course.

You are the biggest fuck-nozzle to disgrace this forum.

Spot

+1 Only a party puppet would come up with that response. I'm guessing he favored the communist character in the Bull Winkle cartoon.

Quote | Reply
Simple Stevie wrote:
spot wrote:

You are the biggest fuck-nozzle to disgrace this forum.

Spot

Not even close, though I do like the term "fuck-nozzle." I'll use that in place of "fuck tard" and see how the world likes it. Thanks!

My students are asking why I'm cleaning water off my monitor.

Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
bobo wrote:

You're welcome, WTC.

-bobo

John

Or you know, they could start an hour earlier.

Given how prevalent this has become it may be time to spend a couple hundred dollars and equip some of the sag wagons with these.
http://www.ipesmag.com/...gnetic-sweepers.html

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Given how prevalent this has become it may be time to spend a couple hundred dollars and equip some of the sag wagons with these.

Gotta go pretty slow for it to be effective. From the website:
Most effective operating range:
TMRS1: Suspension height from ground: 3″ – Vehicle Speed: 3 to 5 mph
TMRS2: Suspension height from ground: 3″ to 5″ – Vehicle Speed: 3 to 7 mph

/

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Devlin wrote:
bobo wrote:

You're welcome, WTC.

-bobo

John

Or you know, they could start an hour earlier.

So...what's to prevent the tacks from popping the tires of the sag wagons? And doesn't a sag wagon by definition follow the bikers? :p

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [More Cowbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. If memory serves, there was oil on the road @Kansas in 2010 as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:

WOW, surprised you didn't try and bolster your argument by pointing out that the tacks only targeted black tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get used to this. There is a growing tide of resentment against these events especially longer events like Ironman which can tie up roads for hours if not most of the day.

And look on the brightside... If they were more aggressive or in the know they would have used Anti-freeze. It is a pain to clean up and you go through anti-freeze on pavement, it is like ice.

I also would not be surprised in the next five years if a car deliberately runs cyclists off the road during a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Happy Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"At 30 MPH, which seems fast for a street sweeper, you are talking almost four hours to go around the course... "

Not to be a math nazi, but how fast do you think the pros were riding? A sweeper could even leave 5 mins in front of the first biker, and be a "lead sweeper".
I know it's never gonna happen, but that doesn't mean it couldn't.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was wondering the same thing. I'd maybe develop one for the front of the vehicle and one in back as a back up. I don't think the tacks would be deep enough to pop the tires of a car though would they? I don't want to find out when I'm driving that's for sure...even less if I'm on a bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about tacks... worry about oil / anti-freeze

When I used to race we were required to only run water in cooling systems or a mixture with something like water wetter. Occasionally someone would really wad up their bike and get the crank case oil on the track or run regular anti-freeze in which case the track was shut down for about 20 minutes. Anti-freeze and oil bond to the asphalt surface in a slick layer that cannot be just wiped up. Generally it takes applying a solvent and more drawn out process to really get it cleans up to be safe. One of the easiest things to do is fill up balloons with anti-freeze and throw them out a sun roof. There is a long stretch of curvy highway called "The tail of the dragon" that is extremely popular with motorcycles and every year it gets bombed like this.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
j p o wrote:

Gotta go pretty slow for it to be effective. From the website:
Most effective operating range:
TMRS1: Suspension height from ground: 3″ – Vehicle Speed: 3 to 5 mph
TMRS2: Suspension height from ground: 3″ to 5″ – Vehicle Speed: 3 to 7 mph

/

Damn, we need more power Scotty.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
Get used to this. There is a growing tide of resentment against these events especially longer events like Ironman which can tie up roads for hours if not most of the day.

Is there any thought that this might be in retaliation to nearly 12 months of new bicyclists crowding uncrowded streets, breaking laws, and leaving trash behind?

Imagine you live in a sleepy community. Then one day your streets have been invaded with bicyclists who won't share the road and who disregard stop signs and traffic lights. But who am I kidding. Ironman triathletes don't do those things.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do know that the tacks were thrown mid race? The oil happened before the event and was taken care of before almost everyone arrived. I think my course guys and local authorities did an incredible job responding to the issues. This has nothing to do with be being "lazy" or "cheap."

Brian Myrick - RD
Last edited by: endurathonrd: Sep 30, 14 14:23
Quote Reply

Prev Next