Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:

You are the biggest fuck-nozzle to disgrace this forum.

Spot

Not even close, though I do like the term "fuck-nozzle." I'll use that in place of "fuck tard" and see how the world likes it. Thanks!
Last edited by: Simple Stevie: Sep 28, 14 19:35
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
Funny thing about the "economic impact" of an IM though: do you really think Middleofnowhere, TN-GA border that sits between miles 35 and 56 of the bike course and only has 2 roads gets any benefit? Nobody is staying in a hotel there, nobody is eating dinner there, but the roads are closed/congested because of the race nevertheless.

That is a really good point, but there is something I am not sure about.
Bear with me, as I don't know about tax law and specific funding, specifically in this case of M. TN-GA, or less specifically, USA in General (the wonders of being an Australian)

In our state (and the rest of Australia) Road funding for non-national roads (specifically, road that have been classed as 'roads of national importance' I believe was the term) comes our of local coffers. In this regard, the money that is being spent comes from the fund that is gathered by the local council, with the largest source being land rates. Rates are levied based on the Unimproved Land Value of the property in question. Due to how things are done in my specific area, the rates that pay for the roads we race on next to the new village (note - residential only, there is no local store, they need to drive 15-20miles to find a supermarket etc.) are funded out of the same bucket as I pay my rates into. In fact, as my ULV is higher, I pay more for their roads than they do - but I digress.
In reality - if funding for public works are funded the same way as they are funded here, then there would be no direct financial return for the locals (that live in them middle of the bike leg, who are the one most affected) by this race.
But - where do these people work? is there some other follow-on that may be of benefit to these residents? (sorry, I don't know the area at all, and looking at google maps doesn't really help me either) where do they work, are most of them 'proper' locals, ie. they don't leave town, do they shop/work/eat/live/die, rarely travelling away from the same 15mile area? or do they (like some of the people from the town I grew up in) drive ~60miles to work, because that is where their skills will be utilized and they will be well compensated for their time and effort? - If the first, then in reality, they get nothing back from the race , and they do have a right to make some noise about this. But if they have ties back into the Choo business district, then they would have some indirect benefits from the race, it might not be much, and indeed it might not be anywhere near the same value as what they lose from having their local roads blocked for the majority of the day, one day a year, but there would be some feedback.

I know one Australian race that is well established that has got some significantly better quality roads than what were usually being put in in the area (hotmix compared with the chipseal they had been respraying previously) that when asked about, the local council said was put in 'because of the ironman' - The council realized that better quality roads for the race would mean more people signing up, more people coming and training in the area, and more money flowing back into the local economy.
Reality - There are still a large number of locals in that area who are anti-Ironman, some of them being local business owners who directly benefit from an increase of tourists specifically during race week, and indirectly because of the extra tourists year round who come to see the course, to run or ride bits of it, or just come to relax and see if they might want to race the course in the future.

TLDR;
As always, things are never simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [IREPathletics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a crazy thought...at a bzillion dollar event with a coupla thousand well-charged participants, how 'bouts when the swim starts, start the road brush-mobile on its lap around the course.
What'd that cost, $1000? Ten race tubulars?

You're welcome, WTC.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [bobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to promote a stage race and we did excatly that.....$1250 sweeper rental (30 mph top speed) and $450.00 for labor (driver) I don't know why more events don't do it, plus they can mark potholes on the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with Bobo that WTC could have tried to clean this up, but my assumption is by the time they found out this was an issue the time/effort it would take to clean up the mess was the best option. They found about about the oil slicks prior to the time I hit the bike course and either shifted lanes on the course or covered up the oil with dirt (or cat litter) to absorb it so i commend them on that.

End of the day, as many have mentioned, it was just some stupid rednecks who were pissed about all the cyclists shutting down their roads and these people will be pissed no matter how much "education" they are provided (ignorant fucks).

Regardless of this, this was my first full and I will say Chattanooga was incredible. The city's heart was in this race. They wanted this race and and it showed. You had folks from all walks of life out cheering on competitors and it was incredibly impressive. I ran Austin Marathon this year which I have been told has "incredible support from the community", Chattanooga outdid them ten fold, from having aid stations full of people in super hero costumes to blasting music from mansions which sit on the Chattanooga country club I was blown away.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beachboy wrote:
I used to promote a stage race and we did excatly that.....$1250 sweeper rental (30 mph top speed) and $450.00 for labor (driver) I don't know why more events don't do it, plus they can mark potholes on the way.

I remember seeing - either on the Thursday before or Saturday before the ill-fated/canceled IM Tahoe a street sweeper out on the bike course. I thought "hey that's cool." Then I also thought about some bit's of glass that might actually get "upset" in the wrong direction (perfect for punctures), as apposed to being picked up. And, what about a slob throwing tacks just before the event. Running a sweeper (with a magnet please) starting when the swim starts is a awesome idea.

Clean roads for Tahoe = great. What we needed was clean air :-|

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my thinking exactly.

WTC is just being horribly financially lazy at the cost of their customer.

It's just so hard to imagine how such a company constantly doesn't do what they can to make the customer happy while still making huge profits.

Just look at Disney, they charge INSANE amounts for 5ks and half marathons and provide unparalleled satisfaction. They will gladly spend an extra few thousand to make people happy.

WTC, take a note from Disney. Stop sucking and dicking your customers.

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Wasn't there reports of tacks on the road for Whistler last year as well?

NIMBYism knows no bounds.

I did it last year, didn't experience or hear anything about that

My mistake, and BCDon corrected me below, it was at old IMC events in Penticton.

Anyways, all this lolligagging about tacks and oil is nothing. We've had someone stringing up fishing wire at neck height on popular bike trails over the summer. How brutal is that. No one has been killed, but there have been a few bad injuries. No hope in hell of catching the person either.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all chattanooga area hotel rooms were sold out this weekend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bobo wrote:
Here's a crazy thought...at a bzillion dollar event with a coupla thousand well-charged participants, how 'bouts when the swim starts, start the road brush-mobile on its lap around the course.
What'd that cost, $1000? Ten race tubulars?

You're welcome, WTC.

-bobo

They did just that on Saturday and filled a bzillion pot holes, at their expense -- no public dollars involved. At 30 MPH, which seems fast for a street sweeper, you are talking almost four hours to go around the course (IM Choo was 116 miles). An empty McDonalds bag could have done the swim course in under an hour, given the current.

And you have to figure that this was done by a local, who would just toss the tacks after the sweeper went by, regardless what time it went by.

In my book, WTC has no blame in this one.

Now the placement of a water stop at the bottom of a steep hill around a blind corner is a different story. A volunteer said there were five bad crashes with hospitalization. Although, this was probably a delegated decision since I don't think anyone who knew triathlon would be so stupid to place that water stop there.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Anyways, all this lolligagging about tacks and oil is nothing. We've had someone stringing up fishing wire at neck height on popular bike trails over the summer. How brutal is that. No one has been killed, but there have been a few bad injuries. No hope in hell of catching the person either.

Holy crap. That's straight up serial-killer-ish behavior there....

Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
xsive wrote:
Keep it classy TN.

This happened in the Georgia section of the bike course. We're good in Tennessee.

I'll give you a pass on this one, but I'm still pissed about you stealing our land & rightful access to Nickajack Lake. You Volunteers are far from good with those of us in Georgia.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:
Dumping tacks and oil onto the road is probably the result a republican/conservative tactic within the bible belt to discourage cycling. I could be wrong, but out here in the liberal west coast, I can't recall an incident of slime balls dumping tacks onto an event bike course.

Yes, the west coast is a beacon of love and an example for the rest of us back woods Southern rednecks to aspire towards. Nothing bad ever happens to cyclists out west...in a race or otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:
Dumping tacks and oil onto the road is probably the result a republican/conservative tactic within the bible belt to discourage cycling. I could be wrong, but out here in the liberal west coast, I can't recall an incident of slime balls dumping tacks onto an event bike course.

Ya... California just has asshats starting forest fires... that flat out cancel Ironman events altogether and risk the lives of hundred of firefighters and residents... you are a solid leg up on folks in TN.

Your an idiot. Outside of the metro areas, California is about as blue as any other rural area in America. Similar demographic to Illinois in that regard.

Do a race starting in lets say Sacramento, close and bunch of roads there, then take the race out into the most rural areas you can find, have cyclists training on those road all year round before the race leaving little and crap, riding 2 abreast and holding up traffic... and see what happens. People are people...bad apples everywhere.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeping the course pre-race is a nice idea, but At IMLOU 2012, it seemed that the tacks were thrown out mid-race. I didn't notice any issues on the first pass, but had people around me hit them on the 2nd loop.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [greenjp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
most of the flats were on first pass, but your right, a pre race sweep is meaningless if someone is determined to cause harm
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh, must have just lucked out the first time! There was also the guy with the hose misting people going up a steep little hill in front of his house, you know, out of the kindness of his heart. Only, I saw him quickly switch to a jet spray to get one guy right in the ear (startled the crap out of him), then he switched back to the mister setting, laughing like Santa Claus. Wonder how many times he did that?

Fun folks. I'll still do Louisville again, though.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Bull_Winkle wrote:

You are the biggest fuck-nozzle to disgrace this forum.

Spot
Careful. You're going to make his point for him.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Up in the mountains around where I live there are plenty of back country folks. And boy do many have interesting gardens.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meathead wrote:
ironclm wrote:
xsive wrote:
Keep it classy TN.

This happened in the Georgia section of the bike course. We're good in Tennessee.

I'll give you a pass on this one, but I'm still pissed about you stealing our land & rightful access to Nickajack Lake. You Volunteers are far from good with those of us in Georgia.

For the record, I am a Californian being held hostage in Tennessee!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:

Interesting (although stupid) opinion. It doesn't really hold up when you consider that it happened at Honu in 2006. Hawaii is a pretty solid blue state.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:

It's just so hard to imagine how such a company constantly doesn't do what they can to make the customer happy while still making huge profits.

Just look at Disney, they charge INSANE amounts for 5ks and half marathons and provide unparalleled satisfaction. They will gladly spend an extra few thousand to make people happy.

Yeah. Let's get a bunch of middle-aged women dressed up as princesses to walk 6-abreast on the run course and stop for photos every half-mike or so. Disney events are awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Meathead wrote:
ironclm wrote:
xsive wrote:
Keep it classy TN.

For the record, I am a Californian being held hostage in Tennessee!

If you are a Californian in Tennessee, I would call it a trip to heaven rather than being held hostage!
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is awful.
Last edited by: ericM45-49: Dec 18, 15 7:19
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:

WTC typically sweeps the bike course twice before a race as well as patching potholes and marking hazards. I know because I have been that guy marking every turn, sweeping corners, and laying down qwik-patch. They also have multiple vehicles ahead of the race looking for anything that could create a safety hazard. Then there are bike techs on course patroling sections to help athletes with mechanical issues. And there are police and hundreds of volunteers on the course. Still it's 112 miles of open road and a determined person can vandalize the course if that is what they choose to do.
While I know it's popular to rag on WTC as greedy and uncaring, the truth is they do a tremendous amount of work behind the scenes to ensure a safe race and a good experience for everyone.

/

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply

Prev Next