Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Stinley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stinley wrote:
what's a little metal between friends and competitors? I forgot about my hip resurfacing until someone brought it up. Off to the track now with visions of Slowman writhing in agony on the side of the trail with his quads cramped all the way into his next life.

the track?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danny-Boy: I'm only trained in dangling participles. But I can see how cheeky your tactics are (note ending on prep.). I'm ready to go bust out 12x400 on the 2 min. and you keep sucking me back into this little barb-a-thon. And I have to say that this whole race directing thing is stressful. How am I supposed to put 3 minutes on you in the water when I'm keeping an eye (tense shift) on the other slow swimmers? And if that seems like a crappy excuse, well...(note only 3 ellipses) I stand guilty as accused.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
not the 1960s. and not the 60s (people wearing togas). the battle of men in their 60s.

i first raced scott tinley in 1981, the first year the ironman was held in kona. now i'm racing him again, and i'm going to unleash fire and fury on him like the world has never seen. further, i'm going to flip him like a cheese omelet at his own race.

and i invite any other 60yo men who want to get whupped (ahem, dave, cough, cough, dave).

but i can't train very much anymore and specifically i can't run very much so it'll be short course. however i'll give all you oldie von moldies 2 chances, one chance to get whupped (sprint tri on saturday); and a second chance to redeem yourself and get whupped again the next day for the short course MTB triathlon.

in fact i'm also going to race the road bike hillclimb friday night, and by sunday i'll be tired of winning - tired like the world has never seen before.

so there.

I will concede to you fuckers right now and save myself the embarrasment.....I have never been in you guys time zone and right now the best I can manage is swim, bike, limp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stinley wrote:
Danny-Boy: I'm only trained in dangling participles. But I can see how cheeky your tactics are (note ending on prep.). I'm ready to go bust out 12x400 on the 2 min.
pics or it didn't happen.

Stinley wrote:
How am I supposed to put 3 minutes on you in the water when I'm keeping an eye (tense shift) on the other slow swimmers?
if i come out on your feet i'll know it's because you spent all your training time toiling over producing this race ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Express fittings in the expo area? I know quite a few from the local tri club (TC3) that are going for sure
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [UpandDown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
okay then. let's make some sort of deal. i'll do 1 express fitting, no charge, for every 75 people who register for this or any race occurring as part of this shindig. get to work!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I miss all the fun.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
okay then. let's make some sort of deal. i'll do 1 express fitting, no charge, for every 75 people who register for this or any race occurring as part of this shindig. get to work!

Can you allocate one of those for H2ODave BEFORE he races you, or only after?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know ST's race is old-school and I love that. But this Slowman-ST death match needs to be live streamed for those of us out east! Or at least have some enterprising young Slowtwitcher take it live on Facebook or something.

And last, pics or it didn't happen!

Awesome, gentlemen!
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Slowman wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Having a real hard time wanting to drive 450 miles for a 1 hour race. Plus, as I always will say, most folks can fake a sprint race, while doing an Olympic one has to be in shape.

dave, you've been throwing down for some years now, calling me out to drive TWICE the distance to your back yard. so, here we have a race, up in the beautiful sierras, midway between you and me, in the tall trees where you like to race, during the best sierra summer we've had in years because we had the best winter we've had in years.

here's your chance, big boy! you can take the big man down! the big enchilada! (oh, and you can take tinley down too.)

Dan, actually, your comments make me want to do it less. I race for fun. I never race to "beat" someone. I know I am not that good. I just have been lucky with lots of hard work that for me, I have done okay. I would be honored to race with you and all the other legends in our sport. To even be talked about could I beat someone is fun. But what fun, you are not the athlete you used to be.

I have been having the wife work basically 7 days a week for ages with all my racing this year. I am not sure after the penticton trip, etc., that this is going to happen. Yea, she would do for me, but, ... She does not even get off work until 5, and since I go to bed at 7, driving at night is not my thing.

So we shall see, but the more this becomes something other than friends having fun, the less I have any desire to "race".

Snowflake.

No kidding. After all these years, and all the posts, and all the sniping ... the chance to race with legends is .. suddenly meh.

REALLY???

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure Dan is being sarcastic with all his trash talking...isn't this exactly the type of fun racing, hanging out with friends and giving each other a hard time (in a good-natured way) about race results that just hours ago in the other thread you said you love to do...????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would be awesome to come see and race this!

I'm not 60, just past the midway point a few years back so 35.

But, one if my VERY first triathlons in high school almost 20 years ago was Tinley's in Lopez Lake.

That crazy race, in a 2nd hand bell bottom wetsuit from Goodwill, on a Wal-Mart wanna be mountain bike that I'm surprised didn't blow up on the course, got me into a lifelong love of multisport.

That has to account for something right?!

The good old days...

Tempting... I might see you in October!

-Tony Zamora
http://www.endorphinhub.com
USA Triathlon Level 2
Certified Coach
Last edited by: EndorphinHub: Aug 9, 17 20:11
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I'm pretty sure Dan is being sarcastic with all his trash talking...isn't this exactly the type of fun racing, hanging out with friends and giving each other a hard time (in a good-natured way) about race results that just hours ago in the other thread you said you love to do...????

I think I really know what is going on. The "Dave" from the big 4 (not to be confused with H20Dave) got wind of this 60+ challenge and hunkered down in his old bunker in Davis for some early 80's style monk training totally solo. Except Davis is not far from H20Dave and H20Dave's spies got wind of Mr. Scott making a celebrity appearance in which case H20Dave has no chance of of the fastest run split among this new age 60+ Big 4 and worse yet is that slowman's viking friends who gave us the awesome Norseman livestream might be conned into showing Dave Scott getting the fastest run split. So this explains H20Dave's waffling because he can't show up and not have the fastest run split. It's the only explanation I can concoct. So Dave (as in the non Kona winner Dave), what's your real explanation for the waffling. 5 hour drive is not an excuse!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
450 miles, what's that, a 7 hour drive? Last year I drove 18 hours each way for 11 minutes of racing. What's your excuse?

h2ofun wrote:
Having a real hard time wanting to drive 450 miles for a 1 hour race.

Plus, as I always will say, most folks can fake a sprint race, while doing an Olympic one has to be in shape.

But, your post in injury, body status is why so many older folks are now doing the sprint. That is basically all they can do, starting with the run.

I first need to see if I can get through Penticton healthy. And after doing the LC Tri, my recovery might be such that even doing a sprint maybe too much.
I really do want to come down and support Tim. I also would love to have the honor to say we raced together, and I could care less who "wins".
So is Mark going to race? How about Scott?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's actually 275mi. but who's counting?

JasoninHalifax wrote:
450 miles, what's that, a 7 hour drive? Last year I drove 18 hours each way for 11 minutes of racing. What's your excuse?

h2ofun wrote:

Plus, as I always will say, most folks can fake a sprint race, while doing an Olympic one has to be in shape.

But, your post in injury, body status is why so many older folks are now doing the sprint. That is basically all they can do, starting with the run.

I first need to see if I can get through Penticton healthy. And after doing the LC Tri, my recovery might be such that even doing a sprint maybe too much.
I really do want to come down and support Tim. I also would love to have the honor to say we raced together, and I could care less who "wins".

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
it's actually 275mi. but who's counting?

JasoninHalifax wrote:

h2ofun wrote:

Only 275 miles for a date with Scott Tinley? My wife would have said it in 1991 and would say it again, "Dev would not drive that far to see me, but to go hang out with anyone from the Big 4, he'll ride that far....heck he'll even run it if he's forced to and if push comes to shove he's start swimming 3 months out to cover the distance". Does H20Dave need my wife to authorize me to build a hyperloop leg from his house to this race start line?????

It's actually funny because I was late for a dinner date this week in Tremblant with my wife....."why were you 30 minutes late ???"....looks at me with that look from 25 years ago when I extended ANOTHER WORKOUT and was late..... Me, "I was swimming and former IM record Holder Marino Vanhoenacker showed up and was in the lane beside me....what do you want me to do, show up to dinner on time with you or try to spend an extra half hour trying to keep up with Marino?". She rolls eyeballs and knows what the "correct answer is". It's not even worth fighting. So I don't really get why Dave's wife is not kicking him out the door saying, "Shit you're training 21 hours per week so just go man up and race Tinley"....all of this is too confusing for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing that Slowman and I DO share is an affinity for Bruce Cockburn lyrics. This one in particular goes out to anyone--regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or seat height: "The trouble with normal is that it only gets worse." So, if in a near-Orwellian and future period your race choices are sleuthed down to a Beijing-based, central party of one, perhaps you might remember that back in early September of 2017 there was a choice. ST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and we will be racing "up among the firs where it smells so sweet."

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
H- wrote:
Wasn't there a prior event where you guys were supposed to go head to head?

yeah. he wanted me to come race donner lake a few years ago and i was up for it. i love that area. it's basically his hometown race. but i got injured.

Pussy

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep it running for another 3 years, and I'll be there: me and my Softride...(yes, the correct 3) I can probably dig out some hideous 80's tri suits too! After all it's only 11,300km (:

This thread has had me spitting my coffee all over the place. Thanks for brightening up a shitty, shitty day!
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Slowman wrote:
H- wrote:
Wasn't there a prior event where you guys were supposed to go head to head?

yeah. he wanted me to come race donner lake a few years ago and i was up for it. i love that area. it's basically his hometown race. but i got injured.

Snowflake

FIFY

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just found my Oakley factory Pilots in a box last month......I would require all 60's racing to rock the speedo with a cropped singlet........If I could get there from Minnesota I would show up just to boost y'alls self esteem.....(yeah, originally from Atlanta Georgia...)
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
I just found my Oakley factory Pilots in a box last month......I would require all 60's racing to rock the speedo with a cropped singlet........If I could get there from Minnesota I would show up just to boost y'alls self esteem.....(yeah, originally from Atlanta Georgia...)

This should be required attire...Kona 85

I still have one of these tri suits below (Kona 1991 I believe). ST is rocking one of his trademark suits and one of Dan's bikes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Wondering where is that lion?
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 10, 17 6:40
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Wondering where is that lion?

most likely right here if you're cockburn. but that's an entirely new subject.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next