Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
I'd love to get up there and take it (You & Scott) on. Unfortunately, I've already signed up for Pacific Coast Tri. Besides, I'd have to practice my backwards running technique to watch how far behind you two would be! :p

if you want to know how far behind you i will be, i'll be at the tiki swim which i suspect you'll be racing as well. i'm going to do the shorter version, the 1 miler, the no wetsuit division. i think you'll almost certainly be in the no wetsuit long course race.

i woke up a few weeks ago with the smell of coppertone, zinc oxide and strips in my nose. do you remember strips? maybe this was just an HB City thing. zacks and vics? basically fried things that were partway between tortilla chips and wonton strips with some kind of tomato like sauce squirted over the top. yum!

and then i knew i had to enter the non-wetsuit version. memories of beach life in the 60s, like the force, is strong with this one.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
... I would be honored to race with you and all the other legends in our sport. To even be talked about could I beat someone is fun. But what fun, you are not the athlete you used to be...

Snowflake.

Pure savagery. I got a huge laugh out of both these little snippets.

Out of Dan, Scott, and Dave, at 60+, I can see two clear examples to want to emulate in 18 years here.......... LOL!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
HalfSpeed wrote:
I'd love to get up there and take it (You & Scott) on. Unfortunately, I've already signed up for Pacific Coast Tri. Besides, I'd have to practice my backwards running technique to watch how far behind you two would be! :p

if you want to know how far behind you i will be, i'll be at the tiki swim which i suspect you'll be racing as well. i'm going to do the shorter version, the 1 miler, the no wetsuit division. i think you'll almost certainly be in the no wetsuit long course race.

i woke up a few weeks ago with the smell of coppertone, zinc oxide and strips in my nose. do you remember strips? maybe this was just an HB City thing. zacks and vics? basically fried things that were partway between tortilla chips and wonton strips with some kind of tomato like sauce squirted over the top. yum!

and then i knew i had to enter the non-wetsuit version. memories of beach life in the 60s, like the force, is strong with this one.

Strips - oh man, I remember those! We used to snag them by the Balboa Ferry - island side. No idea what that sauce was & probably shouldn't, but it was amazing stuff.
Yep I'm in at the Tiki Swim. I've only lost one year, when I was 59 and Bryan Buck was there aged up - 10 year AGs.
It's a pretty tough schedule I have, commencing with Casco Bay Swimrun - Long course this weekend, Don Burns Mile the 19th (iffy), Maui Channel Swim relay on the 2nd and Waikiki Roughwater on the 4th. Then Pac Coast on 10th & Tiki Swim the 17th. And then, Mike Collins invited me to do the La Jolla 10 mile relay on the 24th. If not that, the Nadadore Mile swim in Lake Mission Viejo. Lord help me get through this!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Last edited by: HalfSpeed: Aug 9, 17 14:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys should invite Kevin Moats. I believe he's 62. lol
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
You guys should invite Kevin Moats. I believe he's 62. lol

i am one magnanimous bastard. everyone is welcome. i don't care who i beat.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only 2h drive for us unfortunate valley dwellers.
Beautiful location, but I am sure altitude will get more than one. Swim is at 7000ft so...
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [UpandDown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UpandDown wrote:
Only 2h drive for us unfortunate valley dwellers.
Beautiful location, but I am sure altitude will get more than one. Swim is at 7000ft so...

that's why god invented backstroke. i hope i see you there. this race is the kind of race we should all be going to. this is the kind of race we all used to go to.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I may still have a pair of ST shorts in the closet.....[/quote]========================
never thought i'd see this. as it turns out, i do have such a pair in my closet.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure you have what it takes, Slowman. I mean.....what's your USAT ranking?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have been having the wife work basically 7 days a week for ages with all my racing this year. I am not sure after the penticton trip, etc., that this is going to happen. Yea, she would do for me, but, ... She does not even get off work until 5, and since I go to bed at 7, driving at night is not my thing.

You guys are such a cute couple:

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well dang, it's 2000 miles away or I'd pack up my purty 1987 Centurion, Dave Scott Ironman and come and put the smack down on youse guys. I did just win my AG for the first time ever earlier this summer at 63. Heck, I thought I'd need to age up to at least 70 to have a shot . . . Seriously, sounds like you are going to be having a great time.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
You guys are such a cute couple:

i'll say one thing for dave and i that you lavender room guys can't claim for yourselves: he and i still swim, bike and run!

now, pursuant to that, and dave this is for you, i just google mapped it. your drive is exactly 5 hours. mine is exactly 7 hours. just sayin'!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
i'll say one thing for dave and i that you lavender room guys can't claim for yourselves: he and i still swim, bike and run!

I still bike and run (shocking that I don't swim, eh). And if I didn't live 3000 some odd miles away, I'd be there and do it. And I'd get crushed by you and the water chicken even though you're about ten years older than me.

Wasn't there a prior event where you guys were supposed to go head to head? This duel is more elusive than Mayweather/McGregor

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone has had a hip replacement done. Are we sure running and a hip replacement is a good fit as if reality is an aqua bike event is going to occur?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Wasn't there a prior event where you guys were supposed to go head to head?

yeah. he wanted me to come race donner lake a few years ago and i was up for it. i love that area. it's basically his hometown race. but i got injured.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
Someone has had a hip replacement done. Are we sure running and a hip replacement is a good fit as if reality is an aqua bike event is going to occur?

there's got to be a run. i don't care if it's 3mi, 2mi, 1mi. i don't care if you sprint it, jog it, walk it, crawl it. but there has to be a run.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:

Are you refering to Tinley. He has a Birmingham Hip Resurfacing and he can run all he wants to one it. I know, I have two of them and I run four days a week.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
I'm not sure you have what it takes, Slowman.
I mean.....what's your USAT ranking?

This is shaping up to be the ultimate ST non smackdown:

1. Everyone has a chance to take down one of the big 4 and so far the only 60 something dude to commit is slowman
  2. Slowman himself has a variety of broken body parts. It seems this would be the chance for everyone to make him hurt
  3. H20Dave could have the ultimate ST bragging rights by taking down Mr. ST and Mr ST (the triathlon ST and the forum chief ST dude) and is chickening out because there are insufficient USAT points on deck ? Or something about a 5 hour drive, yet he is willing to go to Penticton where the USAT points on deck are massive due to strength of field.

So basically there is a chance we have 0/3 actually do anything? Come on, we need some entertainment around here now that the booing of Gatlin is largely over (Saturday to come), Contador about to retire, and Brownlee opting for surgery in fear of being beaten at Chattanooga by an aero optimized Kileyay.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm going to be bringing a collection of basically new wetsuits (everything i've reviewed this year), several thousand dollars of wetsuits, and everyone in my AG who beats me gets to pick the one he wants. hopefully it's his size.

heck, if you're in any AG 50-or-over and you beat me you can have your choice. if 4 guys beat me, 4 guys get wetsuits, until the wetsuit inventory is exhausted. and i didn't pee in any of them. if you beat me i hope you're my size.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, if you can't have fun at this event then you just can't (I know, never end a sentence with a contraction). I know it's late and it's at altitude and sorry-we used Active (not really) and it's not a qualifier and it's not a brand and Tim Cohee (owner of China Peak and a good AG athlete) are just trying to keep this decades-long gig going. But we're gonna do this with 50 people or 500 and the kids are gonna race and we're gonna drink beer at the end and take our clothes off and jump in the river and get up in the morning and do it again. And if Slowman kicks my ass, so be it. But I doubt it.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Stinley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stinley wrote:
Hey, if you can't have fun at this event then you just can't (I know, never end a sentence with a contraction). I know it's late and it's at altitude and sorry-we used Active (not really) and it's not a qualifier and it's not a brand and Tim Cohee (owner of China Peak and a good AG athlete) are just trying to keep this decades-long gig going. But we're gonna do this with 50 people or 500 and the kids are gonna race and we're gonna drink beer at the end and take our clothes off and jump in the river and get up in the morning and do it again. And if Slowman kicks my ass, so be it. But I doubt it.

this last part. that last 2 sentences. thank you. that's what makes it interesting.

oh, and one more thing bubba. is it really a contraction or a preposition you're not supposed to end a sentence with? (see what i did there?)

you're the one with the doctorate in english so you ought to know.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peggy, did I leave them there? Or was that the other Scott?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Stinley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ummmmm…..i believe you have the wrong peggy.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's a little metal between friends and competitors? I forgot about my hip resurfacing until someone brought it up. Off to the track now with visions of Slowman writhing in agony on the side of the trail with his quads cramped all the way into his next life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'm going to be bringing a collection of basically new wetsuits (everything i've reviewed this year), several thousand dollars of wetsuits, and everyone in my AG who beats me gets to pick the one he wants. hopefully it's his size.

heck, if you're in any AG 50-or-over and you beat me you can have your choice. if 4 guys beat me, 4 guys get wetsuits, until the wetsuit inventory is exhausted. and i didn't pee in any of them. if you beat me i hope you're my size.

Unless those wetsuits come with USAT points that exceed Penticton, your chances of H2ODave stepping up to destroy Mr. (ST)**2, is asymptotically converging toward zero. But I used asymptotic convergence just to leave H20Dave an opening to go whip everyone's butt and brag about how bad you guys run for the next year. Come on Dave, that alone has to be worth the sacrifice of the USAT points. Contador is retiring soon, so we won't have anything to talk about around here unless this smackdown materializes.

Oh, and last time H20Dave was going to school me on proper running, I flew all the way across the continent and then drove on Saturday morning 5 hours San Jose to Tahoe to race him at IM Lake Tahoe (forget about the swim+bike, he was going to smack me on the run only) but then he had a family issue. Another time, I did the same and made it all the way across for Wildflower cross continent and then 4 hours of driving and then he chickened out of the half IM and my run was so slow he could have moon walked the entire run and beat my time. Now, I am out of commission for running, but hoping for next year to join all you guys in an actual triathlon. Right now my triathlon are swim-swim-swim, but I am covering more mileage in the pool than the average runner does running, so I'm counting it as "mileage" vs "yardage".

Is there going to be a front page article on this smackdown....smackdowns have always been an integral part of the sport. It was better in the old days when there were not that many races and all the big guns raced often head to head (minus Dave Scott, all cooped up in Davis staring at his stem like Chris Froome, long before Froome even existed)
Quote Reply

Prev Next