Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Having a real hard time wanting to drive 450 miles for a 1 hour race.

Plus, as I always will say, most folks can fake a sprint race, while doing an Olympic one has to be in shape.

But, your post in injury, body status is why so many older folks are now doing the sprint. That is basically all they can do, starting with the run.

I first need to see if I can get through Penticton healthy. And after doing the LC Tri, my recovery might be such that even doing a sprint maybe too much.
I really do want to come down and support Tim. I also would love to have the honor to say we raced together, and I could care less who "wins".
So is Mark going to race? How about Scott?

race both days, or all 3! Treat it like a stage race. Then you'd be driving 450 miles for a 3-hour race.

I just put in for that Saturday off, and if I can get that. I'll be driving about 400 miles for this thing. Too much fun to miss
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:
I have been having the wife work basically 7 days a week for ages with all my racing this year. I am not sure after the penticton trip, etc., that this is going to happen. Yea, she would do for me, but, ... She does not even get off work until 5, and since I go to bed at 7, driving at night is not my thing.

You guys are such a cute couple:

coffee met keyboard. thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Stinley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stinley wrote:
One thing that Slowman and I DO share is an affinity for Bruce Cockburn lyrics. This one in particular goes out to anyone--regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or seat height: "The trouble with normal is that it only gets worse." So, if in a near-Orwellian and future period your race choices are sleuthed down to a Beijing-based, central party of one, perhaps you might remember that back in early September of 2017 there was a choice. ST

Excellent! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kybkiiAKMOY

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to +1 this one. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
not the 1960s. and not the 60s (people wearing togas). the battle of men in their 60s.

i first raced scott tinley in 1981, the first year the ironman was held in kona. now i'm racing him again, and i'm going to unleash fire and fury on him like the world has never seen. further, i'm going to flip him like a cheese omelet at his own race.

and i invite any other 60yo men who want to get whupped (ahem, dave, cough, cough, dave).

but i can't train very much anymore and specifically i can't run very much so it'll be short course. however i'll give all you oldie von moldies 2 chances, one chance to get whupped (sprint tri on saturday); and a second chance to redeem yourself and get whupped again the next day for the short course MTB triathlon.

in fact i'm also going to race the road bike hillclimb friday night, and by sunday i'll be tired of winning - tired like the world has never seen before.

so there.

Geezer Wars!!! (I can say that 'cause I'm one, too). I love it!!
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
Slowman wrote:
not the 1960s. and not the 60s (people wearing togas). the battle of men in their 60s.

i first raced scott tinley in 1981, the first year the ironman was held in kona. now i'm racing him again, and i'm going to unleash fire and fury on him like the world has never seen. further, i'm going to flip him like a cheese omelet at his own race.

and i invite any other 60yo men who want to get whupped (ahem, dave, cough, cough, dave).

but i can't train very much anymore and specifically i can't run very much so it'll be short course. however i'll give all you oldie von moldies 2 chances, one chance to get whupped (sprint tri on saturday); and a second chance to redeem yourself and get whupped again the next day for the short course MTB triathlon.

in fact i'm also going to race the road bike hillclimb friday night, and by sunday i'll be tired of winning - tired like the world has never seen before.

so there.

Geezer Wars!!! (I can say that 'cause I'm one, too). I love it!!

buy a ticket, man. it'll cost you $75 to see it live and from a prime vantage point.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
....all of this is too confusing for me.

This. You are right this is a huge smackdown event. Epic like I haven't seen epic since the two Swedes training out of a camper. I really wish I could be there and do this race.

Water Chicken's lack of interest is more than confusing. Combined with his no-shows at races against slowtwitchers, his apathy is downright suspicious.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Golman's book, The Lion in Winter came out the year we turned 10. You don't want to mess with a sleeping lion; particularly in early winter. Some years ago, I had the opportunity to spend a day with that perennial lion, Jack Lalanne and when I asked him about "warming up" before we did a little workout he offered, "do you see sleeping lions 'warming up' before they chase a giraffe?" It seems that Slowman's challenge has awoken a few lions. Who needs power meters when you have muscle memory, desire, and a big sack?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Stinley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stinley wrote:
James Golman's book, The Lion in Winter came out the year we turned 10. You don't want to mess with a sleeping lion; particularly in early winter. Some years ago, I had the opportunity to spend a day with that perennial lion, Jack Lalanne and when I asked him about "warming up" before we did a little workout he offered, "do you see sleeping lions 'warming up' before they chase a giraffe?" It seems that Slowman's challenge has awoken a few lions. Who needs power meters when you have muscle memory, desire, and a big sack?

This post wins the thread at least!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give you 2 seconds as I'm two years younger than you :-)

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Stinley wrote:

Threads not done yet.

Not saying I have the chops to throw down something to compete with the above post, just that when you factor in the multiple. ST's involved, h2o panicking and hitting the eject button when the opportunity arises to finally back up all the big talk, the multiple lavender room participants in the thread, as well as the smattering of regulars who have disdain for certain others, this one could have a post that releases fire and fury the likes of which the world has never seen before.

So far, it's already made for some of the best reading for me as an st novice since I discovered the T3 thread
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the only real bummer to all of this is the place itself. i mean, who really wants to do a triathlon in a place like this?

but i guess i'll just have to suffer through it to gain the glory.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the only real bummer to all of this is the place itself. i mean, who really wants to do a triathlon in a place like this?

but i guess i'll just have to suffer through it to gain the glory.

That's very bigly of you to do that.

Screw it, I'm signing up for Sunday at least. Not sure how well my long travel downhill bike will fare against the xc bikes others will be riding, but I bet I beat most of you out of the water. Including H2O Dave if he can sack up and show up.

Hopefully I will be able to make it up there in time to do both Saturday and Sunday, so I can fail miserably two days in a row.

And even more hopefully I won't get spanked too badly by guys 20 years my senior.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
Stinley wrote:

Threads not done yet.

Not saying I have the chops to throw down something to compete with the above post, just that when you factor in the multiple. ST's involved, h2o panicking and hitting the eject button when the opportunity arises to finally back up all the big talk, the multiple lavender room participants in the thread, as well as the smattering of regulars who have disdain for certain others, this one could have a post that releases fire and fury the likes of which the world has never seen before.

So far, it's already made for some of the best reading for me as an st novice since I discovered the T3 thread

I think Tinley just told H2ODave that he has no muscle memory, desire nor sack.

Did I miss anything? You know when you have arrived when you got Tinley calling you for staying all cooped up in the foothills of the Sierras avoiding racing him. It seems like some time ago, this smack talk would have been reserved for Dave Scott, but now it's H20Dave!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
That's very bigly of you to do that.

my gesture - this i can tell you - the world has never seen the likes of it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Would love the opportunity to take you up on the challenge but that's a 'fer distance to travel for me. Plus you guys have home field advantage. Bring it to the Midwest and I'll bring it!
Last edited by: TJ56: Aug 11, 17 7:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Did I miss anything? You know when you have arrived when you got Tinley calling you for staying all cooped up in the foothills of the Sierras avoiding racing him. It seems like some time ago, this smack talk would have been reserved for Dave Scott, but now it's H20Dave!!!!

I think now everyone on the forum can with pleasure ignore all H2ODave posts, threads, replies, USAT ranking, etc.

Same state, over 60, with some of the legends of the sport and a total no-show...
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I think now everyone on the forum can with pleasure ignore all H2ODave posts, threads, replies, USAT ranking, etc.

Same state, over 60, with some of the legends of the sport and a total no-show...

WTF is going on. Did H20Dave go into some kind of an ST self-exile. I figured all the shaming would get him to "sign up" to smack Scott Tinley on the run and did not open this thread for an entire day and then open it up expecting him to be telling Tinley why his run sucks so badly and he's not willing to hurt on the run and that H2ODave will show him how to hurt at this smackdown, but no luck? What's going on? Did H20Dave sign up with Dave Scott for some kind of "smack Tinley" patented training plan and neither of these Daves will man up and instead they are eating vegeterian, straining cottage cheese and doing endless soloman miles around Davis avoiding the entire world while the rest of the world actually has fun?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
masterslacker wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

WTF is going on. Did H20Dave go into some kind of an ST self-exile. I figured all the shaming would get him to "sign up" to smack Scott Tinley on the run and did not open this thread for an entire day and then open it up expecting him to be telling Tinley why his run sucks so badly and he's not willing to hurt on the run and that H2ODave will show him how to hurt at this smackdown, but no luck? What's going on? Did H20Dave sign up with Dave Scott for some kind of "smack Tinley" patented training plan and neither of these Daves will man up and instead they are eating vegeterian, straining cottage cheese and doing endless soloman miles around Davis avoiding the entire world while the rest of the world actually has fun?

Oh how I wish I could show and go down swinging...The Glory of fighting with everything you have with the knowledge that you have no chance....

Waterchicken go suck eggs if you can't figure out a way to toe this starting line!

and I quote (with a slight modification of the last words):

" go by, from this day to the end of time, without our being remembered: we few, we happy few, we band of brothers—for whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother. However humble his birth, this day shall grant him nobility. And men back in English now safe in their beds will curse themselves for not having been here, and think less of their own manhood when they listen to the stories of those who fought with us here on ST Triathlon Race Day."

nuff said Snowflake.....
Last edited by: Steve-oH!: Aug 11, 17 19:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow this looks like fun. Have always wanted to go up to that area to train and not made it yet.
Despite running about 15 miles total in past 4 months, might have to try to finagle a way to get up to race.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
wow this looks like fun. Have always wanted to go up to that area to train and not made it yet.
Despite running about 15 miles total in past 4 months, might have to try to finagle a way to get up to race.

obviously i would love to see how much of the old posse we can get. in the old old days catalina was kind of the season-ending party race. i'm thinking this may end up being that race (for me). nothing against races in less scenic places, but for me - just personally - that's less inviting these days. there's got to be a bit more of a draw and there is nothing like the high sierras for me. i go there for training a couple of times a year anyway, so it's not like i'm not already going. it's just that this time there'll be a race there.

what i'd like to see with THIS race is that it develop into a real destination event that is as much social as competitive. i have nothing in particular to do with the race, it's not an advertiser of ours, i paid my entry just like everyone, i just think certain races that deserve to be patronized should be highlighted.

i hope you guys can make it. i haven't seen you in awhile.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, so wish I wasn't commited on this weekend. Would love to be there to witness all the smack down, but more just to be there for the start of the race at this venue. The photo you showed earlier is amazing! Hoping to hear great stories of the weekend and all of the festivities!
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clydecat wrote:
Damn, so wish I wasn't commited on this weekend.

uncommit on this weekend. "aqaba is over there. it's only a matter of going."

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Family stuff ... someone is racing in Santa Cruz, and it might be the last race i get to watch of theirs, before they move to Europe for 3 years or more, soooo .... I think I have to do the right thing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next