Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ST 4th Annual December 200mi running & drinking challenge [QuadsofFURY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes indeed, will be right down to the wire. 14km run with the dog coming up, and then tickets to the Canucks/Oilers game tonight....much beer will be had! Oh, and Baileys Coffee to start the morning....again.

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: ST 4th Annual December 200mi running & drinking challenge [otto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first run just sucked the life out of me...a bit too cold. So I'm just going to sit on the sofa, watch football, glance at the treadmill every once and awhile, and rack up the miles. Does not help that Mrs.Quads woke up from a 3 hour nap at 1:00 today and immediately asked for a white russian....

Have fun at the game!

Quote | Reply
Run with dog over....time for some caesars and football! That's right, vodka tomato juice and clam broth!

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: ST 4th Annual December 200mi running & drinking challenge [QuadsofFURY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
29.9k run done. Sailor Jerry's and Coke and NFL baby. Still aiming for my goal of 300k for the month, at this point there's no way I can make the full 200mi (321k), but would still be super happy with 300k.

AP

Edit: mileage corrected after checking on gmaps.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Last edited by: AndyPants: Dec 27, 10 13:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in search of a white russian recipes quads. What is your suggestions if calories arent an issue vs if they are?

Rattlesnake Blake
With the "Venom Enom"
Quote Reply
Re: ST 4th Annual December 200mi running & drinking challenge [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andy,

Hopefully I can again join you guys for this in 2011 - just ain't gonna happen right now.

With that, I was thinking about the challenge as a guy on our team - runner, not a triathlete (Craig Segal - 2:25 marathoner), just cracked 4,000 miles for the year (>76mi avg per week!). He's got a lot of his training posted on his blog if anyone is curious:

http://jersey-runner.com/

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: ST 4th Annual December 200mi running & drinking challenge [Rattlesnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are worried about calories, drink something else! This is my off season/winter drink of choice - thanks to the Big Lebowski and people already compared me to the Dude anyway....

About 3 parts vodka, 2 parts Kahlua, and 2-3 parts milk (heavier the better but I stick with 2%).

However, I generally substitute Creme de Cacao for the Kahlua and add a dash of vanilla - MUCH less expensive that way and I'm not a coffee drinker. Kahlua has 53 cal/oz, and Creme de Cacao has 100 cal/oz. Add the calories from the milk and vodka, and you are looking at a pretty significant numbers of calories per drink.

Quote | Reply
4k miles is crazy!! i just broke 2k for the year, which was my goal for 2010. hoping to break 2k again for 2011 and then some.
last december challenge i hit 220miles for the month, my biggest month still at this point. this year i wont be hitting that but should be breaking 200, i hope.
Quote Reply
Re: ST 4th Annual December 200mi running & drinking challenge [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy cr*p that's huge. I am closing in on 2000k for the year - no idea how I would get 2000mi let alone 4000mi!!!

Thanks for posting the link. Next year, I'll be looking for ya!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: ST 4th Annual December 200mi running & drinking challenge [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
another 12.3k today. getting there. I need 40k more to get to 300. Will be tight! Might have to run just before midnight on the 31st!

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Might have to run just before midnight on the 31st!

I'll probably running on my treadmill watching the ball drop with Vodka and Gatorade in my water bottle.

Quote | Reply
Nice... these are the days I wish I had a treadmill.... NOT! ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh looks like an "ugly" night ahead... ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, it was ugly. However did manage a short run and then xc skiing with Khai for a while. Nice day for it. It was a nice change of pace from running, but my hips and quads were bagged after 2 hrs... man I suck...

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I was in for one of those days too. Tons of work around the house yesterday, then 5 hours of hauling/stacking wood and other various chores in 12" of snow today. Got going this afternoon on the school's treadmill and felt great.

Ended up with 14 miles in 1:56:30. A warm-up for a bunch of STers, but I'll take it as a 42 y/o 233lb. guy with 26" thighs (yes, the circumference of my 2 training partners' waists).... Now I just have to translate that into a sub 45:00 10k after a 1:05 bike split on May 15. Maybe cutting out the alcohol will help???

Quote | Reply
That's January's challenge ;-) (oh yes it exists even)

Well, not going to make 300k, such is life. Still far above the 220k from last Dec tho. Will see what I can sneak in over the last 2 days.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QuadsofFURY wrote:
. Maybe cutting out the alcohol will help???

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
16.5kms to go for the 200mile barrier. May end up doing it all on the 31st.......

Quote Reply
Re: ST 4th Annual December 200mi running & drinking challenge [otto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!!

I'm thinking it as more of a weight issue for me. Even if I get down to 6% BF I'm still at 215 racing against people 15 lbs. lighter than me (luckily, only the alcoholics are still looking at this thread, so we can forego what type of BF measurement I am using, the issue of whether there should be a Clydesdale class, etc.)

My first running race was the Flying Pig Marathon, placed 4th in the CD division (3:52ish) and was still drunk on most of my long training runs, and never broke 40 in a week). And that is a HILLY course.

In Reply To:
16.5kms to go for the 200mile barrier. May end up doing it all on the 31st.......

The issue is, who will get above 600 total. I'm DH skiing tomorrow afternoon/evening/night with family and friends which will put a damper on both, then we are X/Cing with the same people Friday afternoon, then an adult party beginning at 7:00 on NYE - however, they are used to me drinking then running home by myself, so maybe I'll get some miles there....

Last edited by: QuadsofFURY: Dec 29, 10 19:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure otto has it in him to crack 600... he's pretty dedicated to this challenge... ;-)

I'm with you, Jan and Feb will be low-alcohol consumption months for me for the same reason - drop 5-10lbs before IMNZ.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Pretty sure otto has it in him to crack 600... he's pretty dedicated to this challenge... ;-)

Oh snap, I'll let Mrs. Quads know that she is driving home from the ski slope tomorrow...ah the days of skiing fresh powder at Copper, coming in at 10:30 for "breakfast' and a few 25oz. Fat Tires (while they were still strong) then going out again.....

In Reply To:
drop 5-10lbs before IMNZ.

Maybe I'll try one of those...up the street from IMLP and REV3 CP is convenient, but I'm a fish, so Oly. is the best dist. for me. Looking forward to see how I do at USMS 2 mile OW Nats. in Aug., I'd really like to pull that one off!

Now excuse me while I go add another mile.

Quote | Reply
I think drinking should count for more. I haven't logged my miles, they're all drinking miles. But I can tell with certainty that if you start with the drinking miles, the running ones don't happen, and those are the ones that are easy to get high. And being injured, the liquid miles are the only ones I have. And they're all cocktails or wine. Now excuse me while I go mix myself a margarita as my taco meat is simmering.
Quote Reply
Re: ST 4th Annual December 200mi running & drinking challenge [Frenchman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But I can tell with certainty that if you start with the drinking miles, the running ones don't happen, and those are the ones that are easy to get high.

Huh? I have 19 running miles and 14 drinking miles in the past 18 hours. It just takes dedication!

Back in the top 10 running, if only for a fleeting moment.

Now off to make some turns!

Quote | Reply
QuadsofFURY wrote:

Huh? I have 19 running miles and 14 drinking miles in the past 18 hours. It just takes dedication!

Seems like you're not drinking hard enough :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QuadsofFURY wrote:
The issue is, who will get above 600 total.

600? If we're counting kms, I'm already there. Miles on the other hand? Need to put in some serious drinking to hit that total. And only 2 days to do so, good thing tomorrow is NYE.

Quote Reply

Prev Next