Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on that. As soon as it stops being fun I'll find something else to do. That being said, competition is part of the fun and competing against cheaters takes away from the fun.
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always been amazed when I talk to athletes and new potential clients, the stuff that seemingly is important to them. They always seem to ask about coaches racing and their training, and then lastly they get to coaching philosophy/ideas.

So I can totally get why someone in the coaching industry is going to brag about their own BQ'ing etc. Good for them, let's see how you go about developing athletes. That's the mark of a true coach or not.

ETA: Being fast and fit is marketing gold to AG athletes for the most part.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: Brooks Doughtie: May 5, 16 10:28
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [mcnnr27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcnnr27 wrote:
npompei wrote:
So I ran this race on Sunday. Let me just put down a few thoughts here to give it a little more background. But I must preface all of this with, I AM NOT defending this dude whatsoever!

1. The conditions sucked. It was high 40's at the start and a light drizzle. So could he have not warmed up and started slowly, sure.
2. The winds really picked up for the last half of the race. Worst part was, that's when the course started to go along the beach and then onto the boardwalk.
3. The last mile or maybe a bit more (I was delirious) was on the boardwalk with sideways rain, swirling winds so he could have slowed down at the end.

Now, I ran an official 2:57 but what's weird is this course registered for me and many others as a bit long, mine showing 26.4. A lot of turns and what-not may have attributed to that but my 6:42/mi pace actually had me at 2:55. So the times I think are actually a bit eschew but could have been my Garmin (though many alerts were popping the same time mine were so I think the course was a bit off)

But what I don't get is how a guy like this can get a sponsor like Newton? He's not that fast. Is it because he's a 'coach' or he has a big social media presence? Actually curious.

I'm in his AG (30-34) and I'm glad I kicked his ass, cheating or not. And I'll leave it at that!

It's pretty unlikely that a certified (map) marathon course was off.

If you are basing that on your Garmin 26.4 - please read and understand this: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ing-how-courses.html

Yep that was my first thought but I really took the corners tight and did very little weaving and was out front with little traffic. But what's confusing to me more is how my garmin pace showed me at 6:42/mi which is around a 2:56, yet I somehow ended up adding on another nearly minute and a half? Something is fishy!

And relating back to this story, I have to sit down and look at the course but it was a semi out and back. So he could have jumped out and jumped back in no problem.
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [npompei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npompei wrote:
So I ran this race on Sunday. Let me just put down a few thoughts here to give it a little more background. But I must preface all of this with, I AM NOT defending this dude whatsoever!

1. The conditions sucked. It was high 40's at the start and a light drizzle. So could he have not warmed up and started slowly, sure.
2. The winds really picked up for the last half of the race. Worst part was, that's when the course started to go along the beach and then onto the boardwalk.
3. The last mile or maybe a bit more (I was delirious) was on the boardwalk with sideways rain, swirling winds so he could have slowed down at the end.

Now, I ran an official 2:57 but what's weird is this course registered for me and many others as a bit long, mine showing 26.4. A lot of turns and what-not may have attributed to that but my 6:42/mi pace actually had me at 2:55. So the times I think are actually a bit eschew but could have been my Garmin (though many alerts were popping the same time mine were so I think the course was a bit off)

But what I don't get is how a guy like this can get a sponsor like Newton? He's not that fast. Is it because he's a 'coach' or he has a big social media presence? Actually curious.

I'm in his AG (30-34) and I'm glad I kicked his ass, cheating or not. And I'll leave it at that!

That's all well and good, but the race at issue in this case is the 2015 (i.e. last year's) New Jersey Marathon.

And you probably ran 26.4 miles, but if you did it was because you didn't run the tangents, not because the course was long.
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
How many people qualifying for Boston are not using a GPS watch? Less than 5 percent? Less than 1 percent? The fact of the matter is, as quick as he can out these people, the vast majority of them should be able to clear their name in about 60 seconds. I have every GPS file from the last 5-7 years on my computer, it would take me all of 30 seconds to email those off or send a garmin connect link to show my times.

I think assumed guilty is well after it makes sense for them to be innocent. I'm glad he's doing what he's doing, we don't need people cheating in the sport.

Because workout/strava/other app records can't be faked *pink*
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Because workout/strava/other app records can't be faked *pink*

http://www.digitalepo.com/beta.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
npompei wrote:
mcnnr27 wrote:
npompei wrote:

If you are basing that on your Garmin 26.4 - please read and understand this: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ing-how-courses.html

Yep that was my first thought but I really took the corners tight and did very little weaving and was out front with little traffic. But what's confusing to me more is how my garmin pace showed me at 6:42/mi which is around a 2:56, yet I somehow ended up adding on another nearly minute and a half? Something is fishy!

And relating back to this story, I have to sit down and look at the course but it was a semi out and back. So he could have jumped out and jumped back in no problem.
Pretty sure people are questioning his qualifier from last year. Based on the picture of him at the finish, it looks like a nice day.

26.4 is a pretty normal GPS distance for a marathon. I usually plan for at least a 3-second delta between watch time and real time and do my best to run straight tangents.
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstange22 wrote:
npompei wrote:
mcnnr27 wrote:
npompei wrote:

Pretty sure people are questioning his qualifier from last year. Based on the picture of him at the finish, it looks like a nice day.

26.4 is a pretty normal GPS distance for a marathon. I usually plan for at least a 3-second delta between watch time and real time and do my best to run straight tangents.

Well call me a jackass! I thought it was this year's race! Doh. Figures, it was fresh in my mind!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unrelated to OP, but having the privilege of running marathons all over the US and using GPS to guide pacing responsibilities the biggest thing outside of '"tangents" that goes unrecognized is course certification. Having participated in this, the "certified" course is often not the exact one that is run on race day as local agencies play a role in course markings, cone placement and alike.

So unless it was a closed course, the certified distance runs tangents and often actual course layouts force runners to run "long". I have had closed course Garmins files within 1/100's and road course files over 1-4/10 off (long) despite running tangents to race day guides.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
Vilifying cheaters won't stop future cheaters. As a license armchair psychologist ;), I would argue the psychology of cheaters at this level (cheating for to gain entrance to big events) is not such that they will be deterred by others previously being vilified.

I disagree completely. The likelihood of getting caught doing wrong has been shown to be a significant deterrent, perhaps more so than the se
In Reply To:
verity of any punishment
. The more people hear about runners getting caught cheating, the less likely other runners will try to cheat in the future.

Interesting problem. Was it wrong for Ralph Nader to charge companies with cheating and make a career out of it, even though Ralph wasn't always right either. Many people appreciate consumer advocates when authorities or no authority exists. Consumer advocates are appreciated when they are right and seldom held accountable when wrong.

Another interesting aspect is that there are much greater injustices that we don't debate or lift a finger to stop. Yet we choose the wrongs that seem important to us.

Perhaps it's cheaters who do not just one thing wrong but two things wrong.

First they cheat. Second they exploit it for gain or notoriety.

Yes the second one really smokes many people.

then why are the prisons/jail full?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if I have this right, in 2014 Marlon decided no, I don't think I'll be 40 this year, I'm going to go back to being 33...

http://web2.nyrrc.org/....4130122042527370389

Except that's odd, because if I was such a good runner I would welcome turning 40 and scooping up all those Masters awards. Unless...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
npompei wrote:
mstange22 wrote:
npompei wrote:
mcnnr27 wrote:
npompei wrote:

Well call me a jackass! I thought it was this year's race! Doh. Figures, it was fresh in my mind!

Ok. You're a Jackass :-)

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
oldiegoldie wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Brooks Doughtie wrote:
I'm sure at some point some innocent person likely gets tarnished. But based on how I read that blog post, this guy seems to give people benefit of doubt AND opportunity to respond to questionable results.

I don't get the impression this particular guy just outs any dodgy time without having valid reasoning.

Does this mean someone else won't see a dodgy time and just scream cheater. Maybe, maybe not.

But I wouldn't use this guy as an example of it going wrong.

I'm not....I specifically said I am NOT defending this guy.

But the guy running "Marathon Investigations" has no responsibility / authority for public outing anyone. If he feels the need to track down cheaters, then turn over his evidence to race directors / organizers and let them do their job.

ah, but you are defending this guy and all cheats when you shame the guy who outs the cheats. choosing to do nothing is still making a choice. you are choosing to be on the side of the ostrich .... I wonder why.

Please quote me exactly where I am defending the accused runner. Nor am I "shaming" the guy who runs that website. I have not named him nor accused him of wrong doing. I don't agree with his tactics, however. If that is "shaming" him, well, that is his issue. Glass houses and all that,mi suppose. I also never said anything about "doing nothing". In fact, I specifically said he should work with race organizers and directors re: his suspicions.

As for your implication re: my ethical behavior.....that's pretty funny.

Concraps....you are batting .000.

No? No quotes showing where I allegedly defended this runner?

Yeah, thought so.....so kindly STFU next time, 'k?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Count me as one who is OK with the vigilantism.
Two issues are in play:

1. Tarnishing an innocent person. A real concern. I'd hate to be labelled as a cheat for the world to see if innocent. However, it seems exceptionally unlikely, once all the data uncovered, that a truly innocent person would have missing splits from a chip, not be wearing a Garmin, not appear in relevant race photos, and not have other times that support their ability to be able to get the result in question.

2. Does the punishment fit the crime? In this case, potential loss of business. I wouldn't want to see an accountant or plumber lose their livelihood over cheating at a race. However, this guy built a business in part based on his own athletic ability. All other things being equal, most folks are going to want to be coached by the guy who can run 3:05 rather than 4:15. To me, this is unethical and false advertising. And, as others have mentioned, he's blaring this all over social media.
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [vomer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vomer wrote:
Two issues are in play:

1. Tarnishing an innocent person. A real concern. I'd hate to be labelled as a cheat for the world to see if innocent. However, it seems exceptionally unlikely, once all the data uncovered, that a truly innocent person would have missing splits from a chip, not be wearing a Garmin, not appear in relevant race photos, and not have other times that support their ability to be able to get the result in question.

2. Does the punishment fit the crime? In this case, potential loss of business. I wouldn't want to see an accountant or plumber lose their livelihood over cheating at a race. However, this guy built a business in part based on his own athletic ability. All other things being equal, most folks are going to want to be coached by the guy who can run 3:05 rather than 4:15. To me, this is unethical and false advertising. And, as others have mentioned, he's blaring this all over social media.

Agree 100% on both counts.

As a coach who never had the opportunity to race healthy and needs to rely on my athletes' results for marketing, I have a special kind of loathing for someone who cheats then uses it to build a coaching business. They absolutely deserve to lose business when exposed. It's like a financial planner who loses their business because they are exposed to be running a ponzi scheme.

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [vomer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vomer wrote:
Two issues are in play:

Are you aware that there have been instances of people's names and picture ebing posted on twitchhunt threads, only to be pulled down later because they were cases of bad information or mistaken identity?

I'll also bring up (again) the thread with the pro triathlete's bike that was stolen from their car and the twitchhunt to find the thief. Someone postulated that it was likely someone who worked for a local car dealership and others then went on that delaerships webpage and started looking at employees online and proclaiming them as :shifty-looking" (or words to that effect) and almost named them in the thread.

So no, not "exceptionally unlikely".

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"How long before he gets it wrong and someone is publicly accused of cheating when they have not? The mobs get their piece of flesh and an innocent person has their reputation tarnished forever as a result."

Yes, but this is America, he'll get rich from the lawsuit.

Anyway, he probably ran with a blind person for the first part and high fived his customers for the last 2 miles once he knew he was going to qualify.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think most would agree that when Sarah's bike was stolen there was excessive 'reaching' in trying to find a perp, although I wasn't aware it had got to the level you describe.

But that is a far cry from posting clearly questionable data about an athlete's performance, and to this day I can't recall an instance where the data has lied and an innocent athlete has been unfairly sullied. Recall the thread about the "popular, super-nice guy" that took first overall in a 70.3 last summer after running a 1.21 (ish) run (I'm sure someone can find the thread)? The guy wgho shoudl have won came on here and called him out, and everyone said, whoa, the evidence is weak. But I looked at the questionable athlete's former 13.1 times and even though he was a solid athlete (PR 1.29 half marathon if I recall), it was clear that a 1.21 half marathon at the end of a 70.3 was way beyond him (and, most importantly, any athlete would know that). And then, just when everyone was starting to pile on the OP, it transpired someone had photo evidence that proved the other "super-nice guy" cut one of the run out and backs short. Yes, it was probably unintentional, but he came on here and maligned the OP in defending himself.

Even the post yesterday where someone posted a bunch of questionable data by a female athlete in NJ, while inappropriate on some levels (first post etc.), STILL had some mighty questionable numbers.

So I get the concern, but my point is that over and over again it has been shown that if it doesn't look and smell right, it's not right. And as athletes who spend a huge amount of time training to be the best we can be, and do the best we can in these races, big or small, we are rightly indignant when someone is obviously course-cutting. And again, let's present the evidence and then see if there was a good reason for it before piling on - and I actually think people here are pretty good (on the whole) in that respect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Two cents:

Something to learn from other disciplines. When left to the sport(?) governing body to investigate, they got nowhere. People started taking the investigation in their own hands crowdsourcing from youtube and actually saved the sport. Btw, with a reference to lance/cycling scandal:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/03/07/the-cheating-problem-in-professional-bridge
Last edited by: trihugger: May 6, 16 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
I think most would agree that when Sarah's bike was stolen there was excessive 'reaching' in trying to find a perp, although I wasn't aware it had got to the level you describe.

But that is a far cry from posting clearly questionable data about an athlete's performance, and to this day I can't recall an instance where the data has lied and an innocent athlete has been unfairly sullied. Recall the thread about the "popular, super-nice guy" that took first overall in a 70.3 last summer after running a 1.21 (ish) run (I'm sure someone can find the thread)? The guy wgho shoudl have won came on here and called him out, and everyone said, whoa, the evidence is weak. But I looked at the questionable athlete's former 13.1 times and even though he was a solid athlete (PR 1.29 half marathon if I recall), it was clear that a 1.21 half marathon at the end of a 70.3 was way beyond him (and, most importantly, any athlete would know that). And then, just when everyone was starting to pile on the OP, it transpired someone had photo evidence that proved the other "super-nice guy" cut one of the run out and backs short. Yes, it was probably unintentional, but he came on here and maligned the OP in defending himself.

Even the post yesterday where someone posted a bunch of questionable data by a female athlete in NJ, while inappropriate on some levels (first post etc.), STILL had some mighty questionable numbers.

So I get the concern, but my point is that over and over again it has been shown that if it doesn't look and smell right, it's not right. And as athletes who spend a huge amount of time training to be the best we can be, and do the best we can in these races, big or small, we are rightly indignant when someone is obviously course-cutting. And again, let's present the evidence and then see if there was a good reason for it before piling on - and I actually think people here are pretty good (on the whole) in that respect.

And my point is, again, turn the information over to the people who are responsible for enforcing the rules. No one is saying don't look at the data, don't do the research.

And it is not even specifically MI that I am talking about....but, as the thread referenced above indicates, it is all too easy for some internet-gumshoe to think he is gonna break something wide open. How many times was it explained that the 20' differential was only a "starting point" for MI's investigations, but people still couldn't get what was being said.....so is it that hard to think some yahoo who wants to make a name for himself or just throw schitt against the wall says "Hmmm....I'm just gonna find anyone that has a 20' differential and post their names 'cuz that is the yardstick that these other guys used."

Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

Well said.

I also feel that there's a significant difference between this sort of investigation by the general public into the facts and the common trial by internet where the issues are a matter of opinion rather than fact. The latter frequently regarding moral or ethical questions of what is right versus wrong, and the facts being incidental to the debate.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think this behavior is changing with the growth of the internet and social media. Society as we know it is different now and it's still evolving. No going back. I'm amazed at what people share on social media. It's an open invitation for a free inspection, like it or not.

It will take an "event" where the accused either sues the accuser and wins big or does something much worse (like shoot someone) to get back at the person for the large majority to at least think twice before getting involved in the situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

And my point is, again, turn the information over to the people who are responsible for enforcing the rules. No one is saying don't look at the data, don't do the research.

And it is not even specifically MI that I am talking about....but, as the thread referenced above indicates, it is all too easy for some internet-gumshoe to think he is gonna break something wide open. How many times was it explained that the 20' differential was only a "starting point" for MI's investigations, but people still couldn't get what was being said.....so is it that hard to think some yahoo who wants to make a name for himself or just throw schitt against the wall says "Hmmm....I'm just gonna find anyone that has a 20' differential and post their names 'cuz that is the yardstick that these other guys used."

No, it's not hard to see that happening at all, but wouldn't you be one of the first people in line (with most of the other posters in this thread right by your side) to call bullshit on them?

Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [TriMyBest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriMyBest wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

No, it's not hard to see that happening at all, but wouldn't you be one of the first people in line (with most of the other posters in this thread right by your side) to call bullshit on them?

'Cuz ST is the only place on the internet where such poor analysis could be posted? How easy is it to start a blog or website these days?

C'mon.....move past what is right in front of you ("oh, it is clear this guy is dirty so it doesn't matter" or "The good citizens of ST will set him straight") and think about a slightly larger world.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
TriMyBest wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

'Cuz ST is the only place on the internet where such poor analysis could be posted? How easy is it to start a blog or website these days?

C'mon.....move past what is right in front of you ("oh, it is clear this guy is dirty so it doesn't matter" or "The good citizens of ST will set him straight") and think about a slightly larger world.

You're jumping to conclusions and literally putting words into my mouth.
When somebody says, posts, or publishes something anywhere that isn't credible nor factually correct, there are any number of people more than happy to criticize and correct them for it.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but no one gets to choose their own facts.

Quote Reply

Prev Next