Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
mstange22 wrote:
You also didn't drop down to 6:30 pace for the middle 18 miles and then decide to cruise the last bit in 8:30s again.

I ran a 2:58 marathon and got off the gas big time for the last 5km as I had my sub 3 goal in the bag (and the suffering was starting to ramp dramatically). On its face, dropping pace at the end isn't too suspicious to me. Starting slow and ending slow is suspicious which is your comment I believe.

The kicker is, if he is 3:0X capable he should have a shit load of training logs demonstrating volume or speed. He should be able to run a sub 20 5km, ~40m 10k, sub 1:30 half fairly easily.

Speaking of which, he likely would have cracked 3 hours had he continued his presumed fake pace.

http://www.medtechsportblog.com
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:

do "knobs like this" really deserve all they get? if we prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he cheated, or if he confesses, does he really deserve to lose his clients? should he be unemployed and on the breadline because he cheated in a running race? what kind of punishment would you consider too much?

-mike

Pretty much. Being he cheated and used those instances as the basis on building a business it should eventually crumble. I look at it if an engineer designing a bridge fudged a number on a design just to get it approved and it collapses. I would guess most competitive athletes research their coaches by looking up, researching, and getting recommendations on coaches. If this popped up when I searched for him and saw he didn't provide anything to prove he actually did it, I would just move on to next guy.

Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
I'm pretty sure that if there was a Slowtwitch league there would be major injury and death occuring regularly.
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with pretty much everything you've posted but I think there is another alternative which is that someone is going to be subjected to this public humiliation and be unable to handle it. Then if they hurt themselves are we all going to say they deserved that?

I think the blood letting is way out of hand and those crying loudest for it will be the first to say that any unintended consequences had nothing to do with them.

I'd also not want to own a forum that permitted the crucifixion to extend beyond proving the cheating. Once the points been proven how much more public humiliations necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
Vilifying cheaters won't stop future cheaters. As a license armchair psychologist ;), I would argue the psychology of cheaters at this level (cheating for to gain entrance to big events) is not such that they will be deterred by others previously being vilified.

I disagree completely. The likelihood of getting caught doing wrong has been shown to be a significant deterrent, perhaps more so than the severity of any punishment. The more people hear about runners getting caught cheating, the less likely other runners will try to cheat in the future.

And catching cheaters has led to RD's using more timing mats to make cheating evidence easier to find. I recall one of the timing companies talking here about adding additional mats at future races.

Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm......in less than 24 hours, seeksTrijustice does a great job of illustrating my concerns. Creates an account and comes on here specifically to name an individual and accusing them of cheating. After getting their first thread deleted, they doubled down and posted it again.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
moonmonkey02 wrote:
softrun wrote:
I wander how long before somebody sues the investigator guy for defamation or something like that.

they won't because they know they're cheaters.

if they genuinely did these times they would provide evidence to back up their times either with gps data files for the event, or training data to back up their true capabilities and subsequently sue him.

it appears this investigator has given this guy an opportunity to provide further evidence which has actually back-fired and proved the cheat he is.

knobs like this deserve all they get and if he loses clients from his fitness business as a result i can't see many people feeling sorry for him.

i think the questions some are trying to ask here is, "who is this random man on the internet to "offer" me the opportunity to provide evidence that i didn't cheat? whether or not i train with GPS, maybe i don't feel like sharing it with some stranger who's decided my performance doesn't match his arbitrary standard of plausibility.

if i accuse someone of stealing, or beating their spouse or something, and then say, "hey, no problem - just offer me some evidence that you didn't" . . . many of us would consider that unacceptable.

we see this in other fields all the time: the accusation that, say, a schoolteacher abused a student, always goes on page 1. the retraction is usually buried on page 17.

do "knobs like this" really deserve all they get? if we prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he cheated, or if he confesses, does he really deserve to lose his clients? should he be unemployed and on the breadline because he cheated in a running race? what kind of punishment would you consider too much?

-mike

+1

If a coach cheats in a race would this not constitute a breach of trust with those clients? The clients trust that the coach will coach them in an ethical manner to get a prescribed result. If the coach then turns around and cheats, that is a serious breach of that trust. So yes, I do believe that coach should lose their clients. Some cheats are indeed worse than others.
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I said much the same thing on the JM thread.

It would be good to see more work done by people of some authourity (such as a race director) before we blare out and ruin someones name, with picture, business information and history,

By all means, people should go ahead and do all the private research they like, then provide it to those those who can do something but don't come on here before they have done something.
Slowman needs to set some policy.
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
medtechsportblg wrote:
I only see more of these kinds of posts and investigations coming in the future.

Truly, cheating is most likely rampant, and people get away with it. For the most part, it is because there really are not penalties, aside from being DQed, nor people looking for cheaters.

If someone were so inclined, they could take all the race data from across the country and create a database. An algorithm to look for anomalies such as missed check points, dramatic swings in pace, and so forth would not be terribly difficult to set up.

So for those that actually finish the races, with the times they earned, what do you feel is an adequate response to a proven cheater? Fines? Ban from competition altogether?

While the IM cheater had won her age group, this guy only qualified for Boston. That in itself is a goal for many recreational runners.

Seems like if Google can make a self driving car and Space-X can land rockets autonomously, we should be able to easily catch cheaters if the race data is provided in a useable format.

Hell, we should be able to flag results before they cross the finish line.

Oh, they can. But let's recap: Google market cap: $535B. Who gives a damn? The entire auto industry, train industry, insurance industry. Space-X? If it were public, it's be worth $12B. Who gives a damn? Every single nation with aspirations of having something in orbit. Race results? Not worth the paper they'll eventually be printed on. Who gives a damn? The twenty people on this thread, and apparently one devoted dude with a blog.

Find the money, and it'll happen. As it stands, it'll be taking additional $ out of the RD's pocket to catch the 1%. Same reason RD's don't drug test (generally). Can it happen? Yes. Should it happen? You decide. Will it happen? Nope.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
i think the questions some are trying to ask here is, "who is this random man on the internet to "offer" me the opportunity to provide evidence that i didn't cheat? whether or not i train with GPS, maybe i don't feel like sharing it with some stranger who's decided my performance doesn't match his arbitrary standard of plausibility.

Well he feels like posting his runs on Strava and other social media sites, so why exactly would he not provide data to strangers? Also, it is not meeting an arbitrary standard. if every split that was recorded was over a 8 per mile pace, but somehow ran a 3:05 marathon, you need to explain how that happened. Also every other half marathon and marathon that he has run and has all the splits for are also over 8 min per mile pace. That is not an arbitrary standard.

iron_mike wrote:
if we prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he cheated, or if he confesses, does he really deserve to lose his clients?

I will not say that he deserves to lose his clients, but his clients have every right to know the ethics of the person they are giving money to. Especially when this violation of ethics is directly tied to the business they are paying for. If the violation of ethics was stealing bulk candy from the grocery store, I would think his clients have little right to know. But this is directly tied to coaching and I believe his clients have the right to know. Do you think they should not know?
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I ran this race on Sunday. Let me just put down a few thoughts here to give it a little more background. But I must preface all of this with, I AM NOT defending this dude whatsoever!

1. The conditions sucked. It was high 40's at the start and a light drizzle. So could he have not warmed up and started slowly, sure.
2. The winds really picked up for the last half of the race. Worst part was, that's when the course started to go along the beach and then onto the boardwalk.
3. The last mile or maybe a bit more (I was delirious) was on the boardwalk with sideways rain, swirling winds so he could have slowed down at the end.

Now, I ran an official 2:57 but what's weird is this course registered for me and many others as a bit long, mine showing 26.4. A lot of turns and what-not may have attributed to that but my 6:42/mi pace actually had me at 2:55. So the times I think are actually a bit eschew but could have been my Garmin (though many alerts were popping the same time mine were so I think the course was a bit off)

But what I don't get is how a guy like this can get a sponsor like Newton? He's not that fast. Is it because he's a 'coach' or he has a big social media presence? Actually curious.

I'm in his AG (30-34) and I'm glad I kicked his ass, cheating or not. And I'll leave it at that!
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [npompei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't comment on Newton's criteria for sponsorship athlete, but for many companies being fast isn't all that important. It can help get your foot in the door, but then having social media presence helps those companies as much as being fast. I'll also note being "sponsored" is kind of a goofy term. More times than not, it just means you get X% off the product. I'd wager that most people who say they are "sponsored" still pay for product. I have gotten away from saying "sponsored" to using a more correct, partnership with companies for our athletes.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
Vilifying cheaters won't stop future cheaters. As a license armchair psychologist ;), I would argue the psychology of cheaters at this level (cheating for to gain entrance to big events) is not such that they will be deterred by others previously being vilified.

I disagree completely. The likelihood of getting caught doing wrong has been shown to be a significant deterrent, perhaps more so than the severity of any punishment. The more people hear about runners getting caught cheating, the less likely other runners will try to cheat in the future.

generally curious, not attacking, but since your statement come across as if you're stating a fact, do you have evidence that this is actually the case or just your belief?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be good to see more work done by people of some authourity (such as a race director) before we blare out and ruin someones name, with picture, business information and history,

That would be the best method but in a lot of cases it has only been by group effort with numerous people providing personal race experience, timing, photographic, and historical evidence that the cheater has been caught.
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
TriTamp wrote:

generally curious, not attacking, but since your statement come across as if you're stating a fact, do you have evidence that this is actually the case or just your belief?

Evidence supports my first sentence you bolded.
(See page 4 of this:
http://sentencingproject.org/...Criminal-Justice.pdf)

The second sentence is my opinion, which I think is reasonable. Clearly there will always be dumb-asses that do things without much thought, but in general more publicity about cheaters being busted will likely deter many would-be cheaters.
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no problem with that, but how about we give the info to a race director before and not after telling the world.
Not being a lawyer I have a feeling that might mitigate some of the legal questions that surely follow, especially if the person isn't actually guilty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
I have no problem with that, but how about we give the info to a race director before and not after telling the world.
Not being a lawyer I have a feeling that might mitigate some of the legal questions that surely follow, especially if the person isn't actually guilty.

So you could do that but there are some drawbacks to that approach:

- RDs may chose to do nothing, because they also don't want the potential hassle/legal risks associated with DQ'ing someone (eg Rossi was never DQ'd from his qualifying race, despite heavy evidence that he cut the course)

- Even if RDs just quietly DQ'd cheater, the lack of publicity would do nothing to deter other potential cheaters. Look at how much publicity the Julie Miller story got. You don't think future would-be cheaters who read her story will now think twice? If she had just been quietly DQ'd (as many IM racers are at every race), it would have had no effect as a deterrent.

In most cases it is a presentation of public facts, not baseless accusations, so there is little legal risk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I come from an alternate system than the US. In ours a person has a right to a good name, sometimes whether it's justified or not and the onus is on defendant to prove their libel is correct and defendable. The US has a slightly different system, which is why your politicians, new systems and too many others to count, can get away with almost anything. The shoe there would seem to be on the other foot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't Slowman have to spend some money and lawyer up to protect his self in the JM situation, even though the trial by internet turned out to be correct? Damn, I'd hate to be an RD....

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
TriTamp wrote:

Evidence supports my first sentence you bolded.
(See page 4 of this:
http://sentencingproject.org/...Criminal-Justice.pdf)

The second sentence is my opinion, which I think is reasonable. Clearly there will always be dumb-asses that do things without much thought, but in general more publicity about cheaters being busted will likely deter many would-be cheaters.

Will read but we're not talking about a criminal act here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That gets into specific deterrence and general deterrence. General deterrence has been shown to not have much effect, Specific deterrence has been shown to be very effective; after all, you don't speed on front of cops, but you certainly do speed even though you know cops are out there somewhere. I would think the timing chip and mats would have been specific enough deterrence; but it hasn't been, obviously. I don't think that outing people on the internet is specific enough deterrence either, or maybe it is just for Boston and the BQs, but then maybe that is enough for now. It seems to me that Lance and Barry Bonds and many others have turned doping and cheating into the banality of cheating. We've always had dopers/cheaters, but when it becomes moms and dads and your friends well that seems like a whole different territory.
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
That gets into specific deterrence and general deterrence. General deterrence has been shown to not have much effect, Specific deterrence has been shown to be very effective; after all, you don't speed on front of cops, but you certainly do speed even though you know cops are out there somewhere. I would think the timing chip and mats would have been specific enough deterrence; but it hasn't been, obviously. I don't think that outing people on the internet is specific enough deterrence either, or maybe it is just for Boston and the BQs, but then maybe that is enough for now. It seems to me that Lance and Barry Bonds and many others have turned doping and cheating into the banality of cheating. We've always had dopers/cheaters, but when it becomes moms and dads and your friends well that seems like a whole different territory.

for me personally, it's really hard for me to relate to cheaters when they're cheating at a hobby. I like the competition but my placement in a race is not so important that I would want to cheat to get there. I suppose for somebody who is fitness coach and wants to add BQ to attract more clients that cheating could be a motivator or if the status of qualifying is super important to them. As someone else stated, I really wonder if the cheating extends to taking shortcuts in other areas of their lives. I enjoy talking to others about competing in triathlons but it's more a topic of conversation than anything else. I do the sport because it's fun and keeps me fit.
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [npompei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npompei wrote:
So I ran this race on Sunday. Let me just put down a few thoughts here to give it a little more background. But I must preface all of this with, I AM NOT defending this dude whatsoever!

1. The conditions sucked. It was high 40's at the start and a light drizzle. So could he have not warmed up and started slowly, sure.
2. The winds really picked up for the last half of the race. Worst part was, that's when the course started to go along the beach and then onto the boardwalk.
3. The last mile or maybe a bit more (I was delirious) was on the boardwalk with sideways rain, swirling winds so he could have slowed down at the end.

Now, I ran an official 2:57 but what's weird is this course registered for me and many others as a bit long, mine showing 26.4. A lot of turns and what-not may have attributed to that but my 6:42/mi pace actually had me at 2:55. So the times I think are actually a bit eschew but could have been my Garmin (though many alerts were popping the same time mine were so I think the course was a bit off)

But what I don't get is how a guy like this can get a sponsor like Newton? He's not that fast. Is it because he's a 'coach' or he has a big social media presence? Actually curious.

I'm in his AG (30-34) and I'm glad I kicked his ass, cheating or not. And I'll leave it at that!

It's pretty unlikely that a certified (map) marathon course was off.

If you are basing that on your Garmin 26.4 - please read and understand this: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ing-how-courses.html
Last edited by: mcnnr27: May 5, 16 10:11
Quote Reply
Re: only because slow twitch loves to investigate [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:

That would be the best method but in a lot of cases it has only been by group effort with numerous people providing personal race experience, timing, photographic, and historical evidence that the cheater has been caught.

Not only that, but it's really really simple to instantly defend your good name.

1) Give them your Garmin file for the race.

2) Wear your damn chip and make sure it works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
TriTamp wrote:

then why are the prisons/jails so full?
Quote Reply

Prev Next