Re: all-around wheel upgrade advice [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then you want a more aero wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: all-around wheel upgrade advice [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
My .02

Get a regular box rim of your choice laced to a good hub, like a DT Swiss 240s front, or a dura ace. Get a power tap rear hub.

Every day wheel set that you can stack miles on worry free and you have power meter to boot. You can train and race with power and always add a wheel builder wheel cover to the rear power to wheel to race on in the future.

If you don't care about raw speed, forget the aero wheels then. Get what you really "need" and can use.

Performance bike had a power tap wheel set for like $599 for the pair. Watch for sales.

Seems like Flo 30s might fall into that category, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All around wheel for training, Flo 30, because of the aluminum brake track. Tires, air pressure, and tubes will have more of an impact on how the wheel feels than what the rim is made out of.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jul 24, 16 19:48
Quote Reply
Re: all-around wheel upgrade advice [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless my math is wrong, you should be able to lace some power tap hubs to the flo 30 for about $1000 for the wheelset.

A solid everyday wheelset that offers training with power. No reason you can't race on them. Even if the OP moves to a Tri bike someday, he would still be able to use these wheels everyday.
Quote Reply
Re: all-around wheel upgrade advice [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Unless my math is wrong, you should be able to lace some power tap hubs to the flo 30 for about $1000 for the wheelset.

A solid everyday wheelset that offers training with power. No reason you can't race on them. Even if the OP moves to a Tri bike someday, he would still be able to use these wheels everyday.

More like $850. Alternately, for $1400 or a bit more (which is a big jump) there are aero carbon clincher options. I'm not going to do both now. So the question is what I'm going to enjoy riding on my road bike now, if I get more serious about this triathlon stuff I'd presumably get a proper tri bike down the road.

This thread has definitely been helpful in getting different perspectives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
jharris wrote:

More like $850. Alternately, for $1400 or a bit more (which is a big jump) there are aero carbon clincher options. I'm not going to do both now. So the question is what I'm going to enjoy riding on my road bike now, if I get more serious about this triathlon stuff I'd presumably get a proper tri bike down the road.

This thread has definitely been helpful in getting different perspectives.

I got my first ride in on Sunday on my new Flo 30's with powertap. I'm happy with my choice. The wider wheel and tire combo with latex does make a noticeable comfort improvement on rough roads.

I also think I'll be good in a race , clip on bars, forward seat post, rear wheel cover...whats not to like?

They also look good, so I have that going for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Chris,

You've watched me debate/agonize on wheels. If I were choosing between your 30s and 45s for my road bike that occasionally does duty for tris, and I didn't care that much about marginal top speed gains, but I did care about acceleration, compliance over rough pavement, handling in feisty crosswinds, and durability, and I was flexible with the budget constraint, which would you pitch?

Both wheels will do all of the above but the FLO 45 will accelerate better, and be more compliant when compared to the FLO 30. The FLO 45 will accelerate better mainly because it is more aerodynamic, and also because it is also lighter. Aerodynamics are about 49 times more important than weight when it comes to sprinting. Tom A. wrote a really good article on this showing all of the math. I get the impression that you are looking for a great do it all wheel that will last you for years to come. I've been riding the FLO 45s on my road bike and I really like the wheelset. I think it would be perfect for your intended use.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. You can always call if you want too. I'm 702-529-4744.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: all-around wheel upgrade advice [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
niccolo wrote:
Chris,

You've watched me debate/agonize on wheels. If I were choosing between your 30s and 45s for my road bike that occasionally does duty for tris, and I didn't care that much about marginal top speed gains, but I did care about acceleration, compliance over rough pavement, handling in feisty crosswinds, and durability, and I was flexible with the budget constraint, which would you pitch?

Both wheels will do all of the above but the FLO 45 will accelerate better, and be more compliant when compared to the FLO 30. The FLO 45 will accelerate better mainly because it is more aerodynamic, and also because it is also lighter. Aerodynamics are about 49 times more important than weight when it comes to sprinting. Tom A. wrote a really good article on this showing all of the math. I get the impression that you are looking for a great do it all wheel that will last you for years to come. I've been riding the FLO 45s on my road bike and I really like the wheelset. I think it would be perfect for your intended use.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. You can always call if you want too. I'm 702-529-4744.

Take care,

Interesting, given my not caring about marginal improvements in top speed that much, I thought you might have jumped on the 30 bandwagon, too.

If I'm going this route, how would you compare pros and cons of 45-45 to 45-60, say? Why would some choose the former over the latter, other than an aesthetic preference for matching wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Canadian wrote:
niccolo wrote:
Chris,

Take care,

Interesting, given my not caring about marginal improvements in top speed that much, I thought you might have jumped on the 30 bandwagon, too. \

Well yes, but you said you wanted compliance and sprinting speed. A lot of the compliance can be gained by your tire/pressure selection, but the 45 will be faster at sprinting when it comes to aerodynamics. Also know that a some frames will not accept 25mm tires on wider wheels. So if you are forced to use 23s and lose some compliance in your tires, the carbon rim will help make up for that.

If I'm going this route, how would you compare pros and cons of 45-45 to 45-60, say? Why would some choose the former over the latter, other than an aesthetic preference for matching wheels?

The 45/45 and 45/60 will be quite similar. The main difference would be, the 45/60 will be slightly faster, slightly more stable in cross winds, and slightly more compliant. The additional compliance is created by the deeper rim profile which creates a bigger "leaf spring" between the structural section of the rim and the spoke bed. The additional stability is a result of a shift in center of pressure towards the deeper rear wheel.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Aerodynamics are about 49 times more important than weight when it comes to sprinting. Tom A. wrote a really good article on this showing all of the math.

One thing missing is the energy that it takes to move high rotational inertia wheels back and forth in a sprint vs low inertia wheels. I'm pretty sure aero would still win though, within reason. But the lighter wheels will feel more "lively". Probably.

How do you get "49 times"? What delta aero vs delta weight are you looking at?
Quote Reply
Re: all-around wheel upgrade advice [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Canadian wrote:
Aerodynamics are about 49 times more important than weight when it comes to sprinting. Tom A. wrote a really good article on this showing all of the math.

One thing missing is the energy that it takes to move high rotational inertia wheels back and forth in a sprint vs low inertia wheels. I'm pretty sure aero would still win though, within reason. But the lighter wheels will feel more "lively". Probably.

How do you get "49 times"? What delta aero vs delta weight are you looking at?

The math for the "49 times" is here: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...nd_Inertia_2106.html

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I saw that, but the "49 times" is a meaningless number. He is comparing a 400g increase in weight to total aero drag. The factor drops to 16 (.9lb vs 14.7) if it is peripheral wheel weight. If the 400g heavier wheels resulted in a <6% improvement in total aero drag (body, bike, everything), the light wheels would win.

What would be more interesting would be a direct comparison between your 45s and 90s for instance. Since you have rim weight and tunnel data, it wouldn't be hard to do. You'd still be missing power to overcome back and forth motion, and possible stiffness influences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
rijndael wrote:

The chart seems to suggest about 286 mm spokes for the Powertab GS hub, though it also says "add/subtract for nipples and washers" (http://www.powertap.com/...le%20Hub%20Chart.pdf)

As for the front, DT Swiss has an insanely detailed calculator where I have no clue how to fill in half the boxes (https://spokes-calculator.dtswiss.com/en/calculator)

Seriously, it's like cycling companies go out of their way to make this stuff impenetrable to newbies. :(

I just built a wheel using a Powertap GS and a Kinlin rim using the Powertap spoke length chart. I'm not sure if the published ERD on my rim was off, but my spokes were almost too long using that chart. (They are about one turn away from bottoming out in the threads at proper tension.) I'd consider going 1-2 mm shorter than what that chart says just to be safe. The problem with spokes too short is if they're not long enough to engage five or more threads when at tension. The problem with spokes too long can be that the spoke bottoms out in the threads before it's at tension or that the end pokes through the nipple. The latter issue is not an issue with deep carbon rims as it will never be long enough to stick out far enough to poke a hole in a tube.
Quote Reply
Re: all-around wheel upgrade advice [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are using aluminum nipples, then you want the spokes on the long side. If you are one turn away from bottoming, that sounds great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So why would anyone match their rear wheel to their front? Sounds like it's always beneficial to ride a deeper rear wheel than front. Cost and aesthetics...anything else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of my customers like their wheels to match because it is more pleasing to their eye.

I prefer a deeper rear wheel.

To-may-to, to-mah-to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
So why would anyone match their rear wheel to their front? Sounds like it's always beneficial to ride a deeper rear wheel than front. Cost and aesthetics...anything else?

Perhaps weight could be an additional reason. On paper it doesn't make a lot of sense to match your rear wheel to your front wheel, but many people do it. Also, don't think that having matching wheels makes a bike unstable, adding a deeper rear wheel just adds a bit of stability to an already stable system. Finally, aerodynamically the deeper rear is faster but some people just aren't concerned with the times savings and would rather make their choice based on weight and aesthetics.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate all your help (and hopefully) helpful for others, too).

I think I've reached (in)decision paralysis :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:

Why don't you just give me a call? I'm 702-529-4744. I can answer all of the questions and concerns that you have. Talking this type of decision through often helps.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
niccolo wrote:

Why don't you just give me a call? I'm 702-529-4744. I can answer all of the questions and concerns that you have. Talking this type of decision through often helps.

Thanks, let's do that, perhaps tomorrow? I typed up a sort of summary for that convo, fairly redundant with the rest of the threat but at least it's all in one place. And I figure no downside sharing here, other than making it seem like I'm a bit OCD about this decision (which is probably somewhat on point).

Seeking all-purpose wheels for 2013 Specialized Roubaix (bought used for $1200 in 2014) with dual-position seatpost and quick-release aerobars, ridden maybe 70 percent of the time as road bike, 30 percent as tri bike. Doing triathlons occasionally starting just over a year ago, so far two Olympic, two HIM. Trained with a coach for the first HIM, and will likely do an IM down the road, and definitely more HIMs. Ride along the Pacific with often feisty winds, often crosswinds, on chipseal roads that are often fairly cracked, and sporadic climbing (more like big hills than mountains, though).

Am MOP triathlete and will stay there, have neither athleticism nor motivation to podium. Love pushing myself, though, and am an okay athlete. But a marginal increase in top speed, and a few minutes knocked off a triathlon bike leg, barely matter to me. If I really get into triathlon, might get a real tri bike down the road, but not in the near term.

What does matter to me are riding characteristics (love feeling the bike surge when I jam on the pedals, or the feeling of carving a turn). Note that Roubaix is a bit of a damped ride, and I like that over rough roads, but my next road bike, sometime down the road, might be a little livelier. Definitely want a wide rim that works well with 23 and 25mm GP4000s, which I really like, but currently ride on narrow OEM rims.

Budget is complicated. On the one hand, it seems crazy to spend what I spent on the bike, or more, on wheels. On the other hand, there's no firm budget constraint. I want to get something I'm going to enjoy riding.

So I can't tell whether 1) something like Flo 30s are basically going to check all my boxes 2) deeper carbon clincher options like Flo 45s, 60s, or options like the Powertap AMP 35/50 or 50/50 or Reynolds or Williams or others are going to be meaningfully more satisfying to ride, because they accelerate faster, hold their speed, damp bad roads, etc. (with the marginal increase in speed being a bonus but not a big deal; same for aethetics, deeper carbon wheels look cool, albeit also a bit poser-esque for someone who's not particularly fast). And if I am going for option 2, there are a ton of options among which I have to choose.

So why new wheels at all? Powertap clearing out $299 GS hubs, have been meaning to get power to improve quality of future training with a coach and just because I enjoy data. OEM wheels are super narrow, awkward mushroom tire profiles, my perception is a wider wheel will ride meaningfully better. And though I have no basis for comparison, OEM wheels (Specialized Axis 1.0) are not much liked online.

If I had to choose right now, I'd probably get Flo 30s. But this is my chance to get something nicer, and I'm not quite persuaded to close that door.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, your concern about a mushroom shaped tire is unfounded.

Most people can't tell the difference between a narrow rim and a wide rim, especially if you are using 25mm wide tires and not cornering at 30mph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Canadian wrote:
niccolo wrote:

Thanks, let's do that, perhaps tomorrow? I typed up a sort of summary for that convo, fairly redundant with the rest of the threat but at least it's all in one place. And I figure no downside sharing here, other than making it seem like I'm a bit OCD about this decision (which is probably somewhat on point).

Seeking all-purpose wheels for 2013 Specialized Roubaix (bought used for $1200 in 2014) with dual-position seatpost and quick-release aerobars, ridden maybe 70 percent of the time as road bike, 30 percent as tri bike. Doing triathlons occasionally starting just over a year ago, so far two Olympic, two HIM. Trained with a coach for the first HIM, and will likely do an IM down the road, and definitely more HIMs. Ride along the Pacific with often feisty winds, often crosswinds, on chipseal roads that are often fairly cracked, and sporadic climbing (more like big hills than mountains, though).

Am MOP triathlete and will stay there, have neither athleticism nor motivation to podium. Love pushing myself, though, and am an okay athlete. But a marginal increase in top speed, and a few minutes knocked off a triathlon bike leg, barely matter to me. If I really get into triathlon, might get a real tri bike down the road, but not in the near term.

What does matter to me are riding characteristics (love feeling the bike surge when I jam on the pedals, or the feeling of carving a turn). Note that Roubaix is a bit of a damped ride, and I like that over rough roads, but my next road bike, sometime down the road, might be a little livelier. Definitely want a wide rim that works well with 23 and 25mm GP4000s, which I really like, but currently ride on narrow OEM rims.

Budget is complicated. On the one hand, it seems crazy to spend what I spent on the bike, or more, on wheels. On the other hand, there's no firm budget constraint. I want to get something I'm going to enjoy riding.

So I can't tell whether 1) something like Flo 30s are basically going to check all my boxes 2) deeper carbon clincher options like Flo 45s, 60s, or options like the Powertap AMP 35/50 or 50/50 or Reynolds or Williams or others are going to be meaningfully more satisfying to ride, because they accelerate faster, hold their speed, damp bad roads, etc. (with the marginal increase in speed being a bonus but not a big deal; same for aethetics, deeper carbon wheels look cool, albeit also a bit poser-esque for someone who's not particularly fast). And if I am going for option 2, there are a ton of options among which I have to choose.

So why new wheels at all? Powertap clearing out $299 GS hubs, have been meaning to get power to improve quality of future training with a coach and just because I enjoy data. OEM wheels are super narrow, awkward mushroom tire profiles, my perception is a wider wheel will ride meaningfully better. And though I have no basis for comparison, OEM wheels (Specialized Axis 1.0) are not much liked online.

If I had to choose right now, I'd probably get Flo 30s. But this is my chance to get something nicer, and I'm not quite persuaded to close that door.

Thanks. Give me a call tomorrow, and we can talk through all of this.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, summarizing this thread (plus some offline conversations) so far:

- Rim width doesn't matter (or makes a big difference in comfort and to a lesser extent performance)
- Wheel weight doesn't matter (or has a significant effect on acceleration and climbing)
- Aero shapes and rim depth don't just make a difference for top speed, but also acceleration, even up a hill
- Carbon wheels are more compliant over rough roads (but aluminum can be pretty good, too)
- Carbon wheels entail significant braking compromises (but have gotten pretty good, so less of an issue)
- Carbon wheels are/aren't more delicate, and are definitely more expensive to replace if damaged
- Everyone should be running a deeper rim in the rear than front, because it stabilizes the bike in crosswinds
- Aero spokes, specifically, CX-Rays, are great/unnecessary/unreliable

I think I covered most of the bases :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nailed it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that saved me some time!

Okay, let's start over now.

—Mr. Hand