Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For maximum long-term versatility, I think you're gonna want a frame that can fit wider tires. Much wider tires.

Not sure what your price range is, but have you looked at the Open U.P.?
It fits huge 2.1" (53mm) wide tires in 650B, or typical CX tires in 700C.
(And it has integrated bosses for top tube storage packs ... )

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
So after much deliberations it's down to two bikes, neither of which I can ride before hand. The Focus Mares AX 1.0 and the aluminum Niner RLT9 (built from a frameset to similar spec as the Focus). I'm looking at 56 in both... how big a difference is that half degree difference in seat/head tube angles and extra 1cm of chain stay and 15mm of wheelbase going to affect handling?

On tighter trails, I find my Kona Jake the Snake tends to push wide... It has the Mares short stays and wheelbase but the RLT9's slacker angles so if I want a more nimble bike go with the Focus and if I want more stable go with the Niner?

I have a lot of gravel riding and racing experience, and have tried a few bikes with different setups. As mentioned earlier, a lot depends on the kind of terrain you are riding and your riding style/skill level.

I personally find there to be little use for any tread when riding gravel roads. The rougher and looser the conditions (and the speed you'll be travelling) should push you to larger volume tires. I use the aluminum disc version of the specialized crux, and I've found it to be a very good bike for gravel and mixed condition riding in my area.

For smoother condition races, I'll use 32mm slicks, a little rougher then the 38mm tires are used, and if it's really rough, then I'll use my 650b wheels with 42mm tires.

My favourite setup is actually the 650b wheels with 42mm tires. The ride height of the wheels are the same as a 700c wheel with 25mm tires. The handling is quick and nimble more like my road bike in this setup - and you get the bonus of the high volume.

As far as geometry goes, I prefer cx race geo - 425mm CS, 70bb drop, and a trail value in the 60-63mm range. I find bikes with slack angles feel sloppy in this format.

owen. wrote:
Just sold my 6" FS bike and am going to replace it with some especially meant for the many logging roads of southern Vancouver Island. They're rough, steep, and never ending.

My original plan was to get a 2/3x10 hard tail 29er, but perhaps a 27.5 HT (I'm 6'1, so 29er size isnt a big issue) or even a cross bike with a mountain bike drivetrain would be better?

My $.02: A cyclo-cross bike, 29er or 700 wheels with 35mm tubeless tires, Titanium frame to withstand the rough vibrations and crashes, disc brakes, compact crank, wide range cassette on the rear, bright headlight on the front to warn all the trucks coming for you LoL

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Felt F5X on 35 Stans Ravens worked great for Almanzo

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
There are starting to be more and more options in this space, but this sounds like you need something a bit burlier than is "normal" for gravel roads.

Last year I test road the new Raleigh Tamland, and I was very impressed with this rig. I've run a lot on the logging roads out west, so I know the terrain, and the Tamland would be a good option.

http://stevefleck.blogspot.ca/...road-less-taken.html

Hope this helps.

I'm super interested in the Tamland as a commuter/gravel/easy singletrack/light touring bike. It seems like it would check lots of boxes for me. But the local Raleigh dealer refuses to stock them and I'd have to buy sight unseen, never ridden. =\
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at Salsa's Vaya. I've owned two of them, and it's my go-to bike for commuting and adventure riding. It's well-behaved, but quite nimble when fitted with supple tires and light wheels.

Mark Chandler, Editor In Chief
GRAVELBIKE.com | ride everything
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But the local Raleigh dealer refuses to stock them and I'd have to buy sight unseen, never ridden.

That's unfortunate.

If my review is not helpful, then read up on a few others via Google search - there are a number of them.

I loved the bike and was reluctant to hand it back to Raleigh after the review. It sized and set up easy for me, and I was rolling in a matter of minutes.

Like other reviewers, I found it was "heavy", but at speed in loose gravel and washboard, you then suddenly start to like that extra bit of weight. I think the weight issue keeps coming up in reviews, because, like most, the bike that I had ridden the previous day was my 17 lbs road bike!

If you want one bike for gravel/light-trail/commuting/touring, this is the bike!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This post nails it. There is a huge difference between unpaved farm road, and a logging road, yet both fit in the 'gravel' genre.

Along with the length of climbs, the grade and surface are factors. A hardtail 29er, maybe even with a rigid fork will work well on logging roads. The cross/road bike set ups frequently don't have low enough gearing for extended logging road climbing. Hydro discs are the best things since multiple gears.

OP, if you like challenging mixed surface rides, check out the Vicious Cycle Gran Fondo series in WA state.

JesseN wrote:
I think the biggest part of the challenge is understanding what kind of surfaces you will be riding on. From my very limited experiences the quality of logging and forest service roads around here varies quite a bit, even mile to mile on the same road. For the most part things can be managed on a CX bike, but with a hardtail and much larger tires you don't have to spend as much time thinking about where you are pointed going up rough/loose climbs. A shock is also nice, but not needed. I prefer the CX bike myself since there is generally at least some road riding involved to get to where I am going and riding an mtb on the road is, well, miserable.

Regardless of which route you go, I would highly recommend going with very low gearing (34x32 or lower). As you said, these roads will drag on forever (30+ minute climbs are not unusual) and doing them at a cadence of 55 gets to be a drag after awhile.

Likewise with the brakes, hydraulic discs are probably for the best if they fit in your price point. Not for power but for ease of use. You want something that will not be super tiring on your hands as you try to maintain control doing down rough/washboarded -15-20% roads. I ride with mini-V's myself and don't lack for power but hand fatigue can be an issue for me on long descents.
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [OldnFat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OldnFat wrote:
This post nails it. There is a huge difference between unpaved farm road, and a logging road, yet both fit in the 'gravel' genre.

Along with the length of climbs, the grade and surface are factors. A hardtail 29er, maybe even with a rigid fork will work well on logging roads. The cross/road bike set ups frequently don't have low enough gearing for extended logging road climbing. Hydro discs are the best things since multiple gears.

OP, if you like challenging mixed surface rides, check out the Vicious Cycle Gran Fondo series in WA state.

I think you just described my 29er:

Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonesbrigade wrote:

For smoother condition races, I'll use 32mm slicks, a little rougher then the 38mm tires are used, and if it's really rough, then I'll use my 650b wheels with 42mm tires.

My favourite setup is actually the 650b wheels with 42mm tires. The ride height of the wheels are the same as a 700c wheel with 25mm tires. The handling is quick and nimble more like my road bike in this setup - and you get the bonus of the high volume.

The 650b setup is of interest to me. I assume the trick is to run somewhat wide tires on a somewhat narrow rim? What sort of tires? I was thinking of the Schwalbe Super Moto X on maybe a 19mm (inner) rim. Let's say my riding split is 60/40 rough roads to gravel.
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Bonesbrigade wrote:

The 650b setup is of interest to me. I assume the trick is to run somewhat wide tires on a somewhat narrow rim? What sort of tires? I was thinking of the Schwalbe Super Moto X on maybe a 19mm (inner) rim. Let's say my riding split is 60/40 rough roads to gravel.

My tire of choice for 650b is the Compass Babyshoe Extra light. They are 42mm wide, and very high quality tire - supple and minimal tread. I set them up tubeless with ease - they gave that comforting "ping" sound at inflation, and one of them actually held air overnight without sealant. Note: these do not have a tubeless bead, but I would never run them over 40psi at my weight and with a tire with this much volume.

These tires are mounted on Stan's Crest 650b rims - 21mm internal. I'm sure 19mm is fine too. They really do ride fantastic and roll really well. Normal pressures for me when using them for mixed gravel and pavement would be around 30 to 35psi.

nice bike !
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For maximum long-term versatility, I think you're gonna want a frame that can fit wider tires. Much wider tires.

My thinking too. Schwalbe determined that even on gravel, fat and very low psi tires were fastest.

Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

My thinking too. Schwalbe determined that even on gravel, fat and very low psi tires were fastest.

I certainly agree with this. The problem though has been a real lack of high quality wide tires that do not have tread. I'm far from a Jan Heine fan, but the Compass line of tires are excellent, and are the only tires (that I'm aware of) that are truly fat and fast.

That Open U.P. frame ticks almost all the boxes for me - the one exception, which is a pet-peeve of mine, is the slacker HTA in the smaller sizes, and NOT compensating with a higher rake fork to get a better trail value. Specialized figured this out on my 52cm Crux - not sure why other companies can't figure this out.

The problem though has been a real lack of high quality wide tires that do not have tread.

I'm not up on MTB tires, but I bet these would be fast:

https://www.conti-online.com/...tb/speedking_en.html

Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a Specialized AL Crux with Cantilevers that I built up from a frame set for cross. It handles a Bruce Gordon Rock N Road 43mm just fine. It makes for a nice mixed surface ride, but for rougher terrian or loaded up for bikepacking, I grab the Salsa Fargo with 2.3 wide tires.

If you aren't dead set on discs, look at Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross frame. I've got one of their road frames, and I am very pleased with it.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
The problem though has been a real lack of high quality wide tires that do not have tread.

Still overkill compared to Compass' tires. Something like SOMA's B-Line would be fine for mixed-terrain riding, but it's still small compared to the Hetre and Babyshoe Pass.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

These would only be faster on actual trails - way overkill for any gravel roads I've encountered.

As many others have said, "it depends." I've ridden my Synapse on brutal stuff--like legit singletrack--with 28s. Not really fun, but a bike like that with good tires will certainly do the job on light gravel. For rougher stuff an "American" style CX bike with lower BB is good option. Tire clearance is a key consideration so the worst the terrain, the more you need. That's one more reason to also go with disk brakes. I built a Boardman CXR for gravel racing, with Stan's Grail wheels. Just put Nano 40s on it tubeless for race next weekend in Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the rig I used for much of the 2014 UltraCX series and gnarly terrain - Lynskey Monster CX.

http://www.gravelcyclist.com/...-monster-cross-bike/

For Roubaix type races - Colnago C50 CX.

http://www.gravelcyclist.com/...-dirty-40-race-bike/

For "regular" gravel type races - Calfee CX.

http://www.gravelcyclist.com/...-design-gravel-bike/

JOM - Founder and Editor - http://GravelCyclist.com
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's the problem I'm having... a couple of the rides I'd like to be able todo are 30/70 to 50/50 pave/unmaintained logging road or an out and back that's 10/90 pave/logging road.

Guess I'll take the CX bike out this weekend and try to decide if 40mm is enough tire since I can always run a 39/26 or 42/28 crank to get the gearing I need.

Building a rigid 27.5er that can use skinny 700c or fat 650bs is an option but even the tallest bikes I can find will end up with a stack of spacers and a short little stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my Niner RLT gravel bike

(trying to trade for an Evo or R3 if anyone is interested btw)
Last edited by: zitter: May 22, 15 16:14
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [GravelCyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GravelCyclist wrote:
This is the rig I used for much of the 2014 UltraCX series and gnarly terrain - Lynskey Monster CX.

How is your shifting on the FD? I ask because your MTB crankset's chainrings are spaced further from the frame than road rings would be, and you're using a road FD. So your FD has to travel further outboard than its designed for. Any issues with that? Also, what kind of BB shell does this frame have? Threaded 73mm, or something else?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zero issues, I am using the stock road type Di2 clamp mount. Chainrings are 42 / 28. That is an Ultegra Di2 10 speed derailleur in use.

While I installed the hydro brakes and appropriate Di2 shifters recently along with the 11 speed rear derailleur upgrade, I've been running Di2 on the bike for close to two years.

73mm shell, Hawk Racing bottom bracket.

JOM - Founder and Editor - http://GravelCyclist.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50/50 I'd go road bike unless the unpaved parts are really bad. Throw Panaracer's knobbed 28 (or 30?) on and let it rip.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: May 22, 15 20:25
Quote Reply

Prev Next