Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
On a slightly related notehttp://www.tcpalm.com/...ap-stuart/411739001/[/quote[/url]]

Where would you find that sh*t? LOL

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My reaction to the publishers of that article:

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
To: Everyone waving a pitchfork and chopping wood to burn her in a fire.

Re: Check yourself.

She cheated in order to improve her position in the race. Exactly what all of you do, however inadvertently, when you grab someone's ankle in the swim, take a slingshot, spend an extra 10 seconds in a draft, or "get caught up in a pack" at races. There is not one single person on this forum who has not done something during a race to improve their situation, so move on.

I have never done any of those things. Maybe you should move on.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Jun 22, 17 19:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:

She cheated in order to improve her position in the race. Exactly what all of you do, however inadvertently, when you grab someone's ankle in the swim, take a slingshot, spend an extra 10 seconds in a draft, or "get caught up in a pack" at races. There is not one single person on this forum who has not done something during a race to improve their situation, so move on.

Let's Slowtwitch cajole
Into a poll
Are you really so drole
Or just a weak troll?
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
M----n wrote:

Let's Slowtwitch cajole
Into a poll
Are you really so drole
Or just a weak troll?

Oh, SNAP!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
JoeO wrote:
How about forgiveness and a permanent ban from triathlon?

Permanent ban sounds great. Forgiveness?? F that

I'm OK with that too. That would be my preference. I think the only thing that concerns her is being caught. The whole, "I'm not like that", or "I have problems" spiel is complete self-serving crap.

Mostly I was concerned with the permanent ban.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
M----n wrote:

Fair enough but what does an eating disorder have to do with her cheating? I don't see the connection but rather a deflection from her cheating. If she had just apologized I would receive it better., If she had said, I am getting mental help for my pathology of cheating I would receive it better. But to intimate that her actions were from an eating disorder - I don't receive it well. Still not accepting responsibility for her cheating.

This...It's all just a fucking excuse from 40 (?) year old cheat who happened to get busted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is not one single person on this forum who has not done something during a race to improve their situation, so move on.

So you come here to defend someone caught in the act trying to sabotage another racer for her own glory and to do it, you throw insults and accusations at everyone else?

Are you serious?
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I often wonder how many people replying on this thread and who basically say 'put her in jail' etc actually deal with people with psycho-social issues such as she seems to have?

Life and people are not black and white. She isn't evil, she's obviously just mixed up and has taken the type A triathlete thing to an extreme. If she has an eating disorder, her self-image is obviously quite distorted and much of her self-worth is probably invested in triathlon. We don't know what else is going on in her life apart from these actions. People with some of the characteristics she seems to have do act impulsively (I deal with them constantly in my line of work). We don't know when she decided to deflate her competition's tyres. It might have been as soon as she saw her leave transition - that is an impulsive action.

Whilst her actions could have resulted in injury etc, I think the actual risks stated by some are quite overstated.

At least she has owned up, and accepted she did it. That's more than many people have done when it comes to issues like this.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
of course it's a positive step, and should be applauded. Self-healing and integrity are the best possible outcomes.

but it may be that racing is to this person what a bar is to an alcoholic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am wondering if this was the only bike that was sabotaged. Clearly, there was an eye witness and photographic evidence for this one bike. I suppose it won't really ever be known how many times she has done this- or something similar - at this race or at others in the past. I wonder if anyone else, saw anything else....not because we need to beat a dead horse... but I bet others would like to know if their bikes were tampered with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
On a slightly related note

http://www.tcpalm.com/...ap-stuart/411739001/

That's not too far from me. I ride my bike through there every weekend.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
On a slightly related note

http://www.tcpalm.com/...ap-stuart/411739001/

"the type of high heel, such as a wedge, stiletto, pump, spool heel or platform, wasn’t specified."

that reporter is going places
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running mom wrote:
I am wondering if this was the only bike that was sabotaged. Clearly, there was an eye witness and photographic evidence for this one bike. I suppose it won't really ever be known how many times she has done this- or something similar - at this race or at others in the past. I wonder if anyone else, saw anything else....not because we need to beat a dead horse... but I bet others would like to know if their bikes were tampered with.

Based on other posters who came on here, I doubt this is the first occurrence. Having said that I don't see why she needs to do all this. She consistently runs 3:30ish marathons and 1:30ish half IM splits. Heck, she ran 1:28 in Muskoka 2015. Anyone who know that course knows how hard it is. She is an awesome runner consistently in every race she does so this deflating is in "shake your head" territory. Maybe Fleck can comment on how good an athlete this person is as he has seen her and called her in at many races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
I often wonder how many people replying on this thread and who basically say 'put her in jail' etc actually deal with people with psycho-social issues such as she seems to have?

Life and people are not black and white. She isn't evil, she's obviously just mixed up and has taken the type A triathlete thing to an extreme. If she has an eating disorder, her self-image is obviously quite distorted and much of her self-worth is probably invested in triathlon. We don't know what else is going on in her life apart from these actions. People with some of the characteristics she seems to have do act impulsively (I deal with them constantly in my line of work). We don't know when she decided to deflate her competition's tyres. It might have been as soon as she saw her leave transition - that is an impulsive action.

Whilst her actions could have resulted in injury etc, I think the actual risks stated by some are quite overstated.

At least she has owned up, and accepted she did it. That's more than many people have done when it comes to issues like this.

I generally concur, but this should still be a lifetime ban from the sport of triathlon with or without her apology. She would be better off without the "pressures" of this sport, and the sport would most certainly be better off without her.

Also, while some have said there should be criminal charges, I don't think anyone said she should be serving jailtime for it. It would be a misdemeanor offense and a fine at most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I got this face book message last night from Kristen Johnson

"Please see statement below:

I was under so much pressure to perform, and I made a wrong decision, and am sincerely sorry of my actions. I don't know why I did it, and I cannot even believe I did it. I am not a horrible person, just someone that made an impulsive, bad decision, and I know that I need some serious help.

Please note that I have been accepted to an mental health facility to to be treated for an eating disorder beginning tomorrow. This incident has made me realize how much help I need, despite being an accomplished athlete. I have been hiding with this illness for a long time, and although it is no excuse for my actions, I do believe it is one of the reasons why I can't make good decisions. I do not expect to return to the sport anytime soon, although I do hope that with evidence of treatment and recovery, I will be one day race again."
Her apology isn't much of an apology... IMO. It also wreaks of a personality disorder. She's got more than an eating disorder going on... a mental health facility most likely will pick up on it, but there's a great saying... "how exactly do you tell a crazy person, they're crazy?" If she believes what she says above, she merely has an eating disorder and made an impulsive decision.

It's a tough one and getting "them" to get REAL help even if they recognize(rarely happens) their issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:

Interesting.
While I'm certainly not calling for jail time(lol) I made it clear two pages back where I stand on this but you raise some good points.
I'll admit I have zero experience with eating-disorders/body image etc but interestingly enough Julie Miller (still waiting on her admission and apology by the way!!:) is reported to have been working as a mental health counselor (body image )so..hmm?...perhaps something to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The front page article migrates my opinion a bit . . . it seems there is also documentation of "cheating" in other aspects of life too. Perhaps the same "illness" but no longer incidental or a one-time situation. I would imagine that the full disclosure/story would reveal (quite) a more. And, her apology that Herbert posted didn't mention other indiscretions . . . only where she got caught. I favorite question is "are you sorry you did it or sorry you got caught?" If you are sorry you did it then you also confess other transgressions (not just an eating disorder), when you are sorry you got caught then this is the one and only time and there is an excuse (eating disorder). It now appears she is just sorry she got caught. Too bad.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:

2. Ms. Johnson, during April of 2016, falsified her attendance record; used paid “Family Care Days” when she was not entitled to do so; provided false information about the reasons for absence from work; was absent from school to participate in the Boston Marathon, without permission
.”

Errr, this is kind of done a lot. And I imagine it's not just teachers...
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
shady wrote:

2. Ms. Johnson, during April of 2016, falsified her attendance record; used paid “Family Care Days” when she was not entitled to do so; provided false information about the reasons for absence from work; was absent from school to participate in the Boston Marathon, without permission
.”

Errr, this is kind of done a lot. And I imagine it's not just teachers...

Done a lot by people with severely skewed priorities. Yes, I know some people that put their hobby above their family, friends, and job. Which she clearly does. I've had to cancel races and vacations for work reasons on several occasions. I had to cancel Whistler 70.3 next month due to a work trip, and I will more than likely need to bail on Augusta as well for the same reason. I'd much rather go to Whistler and Augusta than a freakin' work trip (who wouldn't) but my age group triathlon hobby doesn't pay my salary... my job does. I have some Type-A Triathlete asshole traits but skewed priorities isn't one of them. Family and work come before my dopey hobby.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still believe it says something that she owned up to it and apologized. I would rather have an apology than the Julie Miller approach: deny deny deny.

And yes she should be punished.

And I also agree that stating that it was a spur of the moment or impulse decision is not taking full responsibility for what she did. Because we all know this is not true. She stalked her prey and waited for the right moment. And I believe this definitely isn't the first time she has done something like this.
And I don't agree with the guy who said that we all do something to improve our standings when no one is looking. And taking advantage of a draft is far from tampering with another competitors equipment.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
I still believe it says something that she owned up to it and apologized. I would rather have an apology than the Julie Miller approach: deny deny deny.

And yes she should be punished.

And I also agree that stating that it was a spur of the moment or impulse decision is not taking full responsibility for what she did. Because we all know this is not true. She stalked her prey and waited for the right moment. And I believe this definitely isn't the first time she has done something like this.
And I don't agree with the guy who said that we all do something to improve our standings when no one is looking. And taking advantage of a draft is far from tampering with another competitors equipment.

How do you know it was not a spur of the moment thing? I just do not understand why so many love to basically say they know for a fact why a person did something. So much fake news. Why have so many folks become so mean just because of social media. And when I find a person who has been 100% perfect in their life, ...

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do I know that it wasn't a spur of the moment decision? It was premeditated. Look up any legal definition of the word.
She had to take certain steps to accomplish her mission. She had to do at least some investigating to determine where her victims bike was located. She had to lie in wait for the perfect time when no one else was around. She stalked the transition area. She didn't deflate just anyone's tire but someone she deemed a threat in the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our entire justice system is based figuring out what people did based upon facts presented. Jurors sent people to prison without ever really "knowing" someone's true intent. Why cant we apply similar logic to draw a conclusion about her intent here?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jun 23, 17 19:38
Quote Reply

Prev Next