Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [PigBodine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PigBodine wrote:
During a busy circle swim in an outdoor 50-yd pool last summer I passed another swimmer who felt I'd come too close to her so she punched me and took a swipe at my leg as I went by. I

Great news! You have almost certainly been swimming 50M, not yards!

Back when I was younger I told a dude who pushed me to do it again because I was getting a boner.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Close enough to not make contact. Somewhat depends on who is coming the other way.

Her problem was that you were just close and there was no contact? That caused her to punch you? I'd chalk that up to she's crazy.

She was clearly just flirting

Shoulda said, "outta my way, old man!" and watched the fireworks erupt.

When we boys got into altercations with the girls while swimming back in high school practice, that was definitely flirting. I remember a girl smart-mouthing off to me for accidentally bumping her, so I picked her up and threw her over the rope into the next lane, "since you think you get one all to yourself", ...and then we started dating the very next week. This nutso swim buddy doesn't sound quite as cute, though. I guess tell her if she keeps talking to you, you're going to think she wants to go on a date. Maybe that will send her running away and leave you alone.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [RudeDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone's already piled on, so I'll add a different 2 cents in response to those suggesting that your New 3rd was in the wrong for hopping in without confirming.

I believe in a process of escalation (and that's not meant in a confrontational sense):
  • Let's start with the assumption that most people who can swim longer than a 400 continuously have some sort of organized swimming background. Thus, almost everyone in the pool will be stopping at some point in the next few minutes after your arrival.
  • Use your stretching time to judge (I mean "assess" :) ) all the swimmers and in which lane you fit best. If your correct lane does not currently feature circle swimming, in those next few minutes, your prospective lane-mates will likely stop and you can exchange pleasantries, verbal or not.
  • If your prospective lane-mate hasn't stopped, dangle your feet in the water as he/she comes by on the next 50. Any swimmer worth his or her salt will see that and start practicing best etiquette.
  • Next stop on the escalation ladder is to get into the lane and wait for their next 50; same thing...that's a signal.
  • If all else fails, start swimming. Pool lanes aren't owned by the people in them.

If I were in your New 3rd's shoes, by the time I witnessed you get through 800 without stopping, I would have assumed that you'd have had enough of a swimming background to understand circling, and I would have gotten in, too. I wouldn't say your New 3rd followed that escalation well, but probably assumed that you were down with circle-swimming.

The beauty of circle-swimming is that it requires no communication if you're in the middle of a long swim or set, whereas splitting is bound to end in stories like yours.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
PigBodine wrote:
During a busy circle swim in an outdoor 50-yd pool last summer I passed another swimmer who felt I'd come too close to her so she punched me and took a swipe at my leg as I went by. I

Great news! You have almost certainly been swimming 50M, not yards!

It's an old outdoor Chicago Park district pool -- def 50 yards. If I got the same times for 50m that I get there, believe me I'd be ecstatic. I'd let someone punch me if that'd bring my 50m times down a second or two.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've dealt with all kinds.
Pools that go to circle when there's 3 people plus.
Circle swim, but no more than 3 people.
My current pool only allows 2 people at a time in a lane, so we split...but there is a half hour limit if there are people waiting.

...I may have to go back to masters...
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree with your first bullet point. Swimming a continuos 400 is meaningless. It's more about technique.

But I do vehemently agree that you can most likely judge a book by the cover in the pool. Watch the people swimming and seed yourself accordingly.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
Next was 16x25 sprint which in my opinion is not very conducive to circle swim. I'll just join the crew next time.

Really? I think the shorter the interval, the easier it is to time with your fellow swimmers. Wait until there's the clearest possible water for your 25, e.g., let the other swimmers go by until there's a big enough distance, and then go for it. Easy peasy. You might have to go a little early or late, but no big. Way to be adaptable, by the way, this forum can be rough :-)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [stoobie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outside the US no one waits or lines up.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are swimming with faster swimmers I think it is a good idea to pause in the near corner when they are coming up on you and let them pass. Passing is a bit difficult in a 25 m pool unless there is a big difference in speed between swimmers. It doesn't take that much awareness to do this if you chose your lane well. I would rather do this with faster swimmers who know what to do than struggle with the usual denizens of the pool.

EricTheBiking wrote:
RudeDude wrote:
Next was 16x25 sprint which in my opinion is not very conducive to circle swim. I'll just join the crew next time.

Really? I think the shorter the interval, the easier it is to time with your fellow swimmers. Wait until there's the clearest possible water for your 25, e.g., let the other swimmers go by until there's a big enough distance, and then go for it. Easy peasy. You might have to go a little early or late, but no big. Way to be adaptable, by the way, this forum can be rough :-)

-Eric

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
Outside the US no one waits or lines up.
That's because we are entitled and the rest of you are just pushy !

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We learned about sharing as kids.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gold
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
We learned about sharing as kids.
In the ball pit at IKEA ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that settles it; I'm moving to Canada!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're wrong. Circle swim or GTFO.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are handling this well, good job. I won't pile on, but can suggest another option.

Invite the newcomer to join you. "I'm doing 3x300 on x. Work in with me?"

Generally, this results in one of two things. A blank stare, followed by "I'll just move over to that lane over there". Or, partner for the rest of your set. Maybe they are faster and modify to 350s. Maybe they are slower and modify to 250s. Either way, life in the lane is as it should be (circling and in synch).

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DV8R wrote:

He should have asked before entering the lane, .

Why ? OP doesn't own the pool and wasn't in a squad.

2 people you can split, more than two just circle swim, it's not hard, you can even overtake going head on with someone if you're skilled enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what do people find so hard about circle swimming?

if you get behind a slower person in a 25m pool and can't pass because there is someone coming the other way, you could just turn early to avoid them at the end, or do some kick for a while all the while tapping their toes once to let them know you're behind

likewise for sendoffs. just wait an extra 5 seconds/go early -whatever is more suitable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rest of the world are looking at this thread and thinking WTF??
Just get in and circle.

It's only impossible if you stop to think about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DV8R wrote:
I'd say you both were at fault.

He should have asked before entering the lane, and established with you and/or the other guy what the pattern is.
But sounds like you came off rude, not sharing the lane.
This.

He should have asked. (Stay in the corner and wave underwater. Everyone will figure it out.)

And you should have switched to circle swim when third swimmer joined.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
I was 815 yards into a 900 yard pull when my head knocks into the swimmer with whom I was sharing a lane. He motions to a third guy who had jumped into our lane and started circle swimming. When the third guy swam up to me, I said, sorry I'm doing a specific routine. No circle swim. He says he doesn't understand. I reiterate, we are swimming two to a lane and I am doing intervals that don't work with a group. He gets all pissed off, mumbles whatever dude and exits our lane.

For context, there were two other lanes that were pretty full of folks circle swimming. There was one other lane (in addition to mine) that was less full, so four total. I understand my lane had less traffic and could've accommodated more swimmers, but that's why I show up early to do the exact workout that my coach planned for me. Am I in the wrong?

who cares about your intervals? if 3 people or more in the lane, then you circle swim; it's not yours
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Apr 12, 17 6:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
When the third guy swam up to me, I said, sorry I'm doing a specific routine. No circle swim. He says he doesn't understand. I reiterate, we are swimming two to a lane and I am doing intervals that don't work with a group.

At which point I would have told you "if you don't want to circle swim, you can get out and wait for a half a lane. Every other lane already has more than two, and you don't seem any more special than the rest of us."

I hate circle swimming as much as anybody. I do lot of USRPT sprint sets which demand a precise sendoff interval. If some wants to join my lane and there are other lanes that are no more full, I'll explain what I'm doing and ask the to consider if my lane is the best fit for them.* But if every other lane already has 3, I know the next person that shows up means we're going to circles, too. When that happens, I warmly greet them, and adjust my workout plan. Usually it's a lot of kicking, since I can kick about as fast, and often faster, than most of the people who come for open lap swim. Kicking also allows me to keep an eye out for somebody leaving, making room in another lane.

*I know this may come off as a bit dickish. But I try to mitigate it by being aware, when I'm on cool down, if anyone is approaching, looking for a lane. If so, I wave them over and let them know I'm almost done.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
RudeDude wrote:
When the third guy swam up to me, I said, sorry I'm doing a specific routine. No circle swim. He says he doesn't understand. I reiterate, we are swimming two to a lane and I am doing intervals that don't work with a group.

At which point I would have told you "if you don't want to circle swim, you can get out and wait for a half a lane. Every other lane already has more than two, and you don't seem any more special than the rest of us."

I hate circle swimming as much as anybody. I do lot of USRPT sprint sets which demand a precise sendoff interval. If some wants to join my lane and there are other lanes that are no more full, I'll explain what I'm doing and ask the to consider if my lane is the best fit for them.* But if every other lane already has 3, I know the next person that shows up means we're going to circles, too. When that happens, I warmly greet them, and adjust my workout plan. Usually it's a lot of kicking, since I can kick about as fast, and often faster, than most of the people who come for open lap swim. Kicking also allows me to keep an eye out for somebody leaving, making room in another lane.

*I know this may come off as a bit dickish. But I try to mitigate it by being aware, when I'm on cool down, if anyone is approaching, looking for a lane. If so, I wave them over and let them know I'm almost done.

Yea, it seems obvious now when polling this forum, but at the time I honestly thought I was not being unreasonable. Part of the context missing from the original post is that there were no signs indicating circle swim (when there sometimes are) and that this pool usually only has two to a lane except for masters and groups who train together. The other two lanes were full of a group that always arrives 30 minutes after me. Nobody at this pool would ever make older folk do circle swim, or people who seem to be doing a routine (those with snorkels are left alone). Regardless, not trying to be defensive as there is lots of good advice here. Thanks to those who weighed in with a helpful comment.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [Boyt959] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I can't 'out swim' anybody :-) but, like you said, the space is at a premium and a little courtesy and understanding go a long way. Interesting question posed by original poster. The pool is a weird place.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
I'll explain what I'm doing and ask the to consider if my lane is the best fit for them.*

I do the same thing everyone in a while. I think it helps if a. you smile b. you tell them "I do not mind sharing at all, but..." The small concession goes along way...
Quote Reply

Prev Next