Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah I'm not actually upset nor holding onto it. Emotion is not easily conveyed via text and that was meant to be tongue in cheek. It is what it is, I made a call based on my perception of the situation and it looks like I was wrong given my lack of swimming experience. Onto the next one...

It was a 3x300 continuous (whatever that means) with each 300 stronger than the first. Next was 16x25 sprint which in my opinion is not very conducive to circle swim. I'll just join the crew next time.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
A lot of lifeguards at my pool are men in their 50's and if they see someone who they haven't seen before, they talk to them to make sure they know what's going on.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:
Not super relevant, but what intervals don't work well with circle swimming? If you're faster than someone, you pass them, shouldn't have to slow down more than a couple seconds to make sure​ it's clear

if you are a type-A triathlete person who has to do EXACTLY the workout coach has EXACTLY prescribed with absolutely no interruptions, then nothing works with circle swimming. You probably realize that things don't have to be quite so precise.

Yes, this is me. And because swimming is my glaring weakness, I try to do exactly what coach prescribes. But I also realize that swimming in a group may help me more than following a strict regimen. Not knowing how to flip turn has keep me from joining, but I'll just join next time with open turns and dolphin kick.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing a 900 yard repeat ruined his workout IMO...

OP 3x300 is fine...

But this is better

300 rest 30"
8x25 fast @ 30-45" pick a send off that gives you about 10" rest

Do the whole thing 3x. Far more effective...

Texas distance group does this set:

300 cruise
8x50 at 1650/1500 pace
^3x

300 cruise
4x50 at 200 pace
^3x

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Apr 11, 17 12:37
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [RudeDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
Hah I'm not actually upset nor holding onto it. Emotion is not easily conveyed via text and that was meant to be tongue in cheek. It is what it is, I made a call based on my perception of the situation and it looks like I was wrong given my lack of swimming experience. Onto the next one...

It was a 3x300 continuous (whatever that means) with each 300 stronger than the first. Next was 16x25 sprint which in my opinion is not very conducive to circle swim. I'll just join the crew next time.

Coolness. :)

Continuous just means don't stop at the walls until you're done. 25s sprint are totally doable in circle swim, they are just a bit messy. And an opportunity to practice mass swimming dynamics (bumping and grinding). Real swim practice is a lot like basketball or cycling in a pack - there's gonna be some crowding and contact. Don't be afraid of it, it's rarely causes a real problem. If you bump somebody, just say sorry and keep going. 99% of the time it just motivates the non-serious swimmers to pick another lane, which benefits you anyway, so go for it.

Say you're doing your sprint and you start to swing around the person in front of you. Another person is coming the other way! Either really punch it hard to get around the guy (good practice) or dive down deeper and go under the person coming at you, popping back up after he's passed (good practice). And to do this, you gotta keep your eye on who is where, which is also good practice for race day. After about 2 or 3 of these, that new person that joined your lane may say F-this and pick another lane. But now that's HIS choice and he's not as upset at the RudeDude. :)

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW why such a random interval? 900 yards? //

That was the giveaway that this is really a Somalian scam. You know those emails you get that have misspelled words, or the language is used wrong, or it begins with Dear Sir? There is no coach dead or alive(swimming wise) that gives out 900 swims, unless it is in the middle of some up or down ladder. This entire episode either did not happen, he does not really have a coach, or said coach is his brother in-law who never swam a lap in his life.. I call bullshit..

And if it did happen as described, dude needs to learn the etiquette of crowded pools. When you are the last lane splitting and someone else gets in, you circle. At that point I would look around and rearrange the lanes a bit to make sure I was swimming with the more proficient swimmers, but that would be about it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
Not knowing how to flip turn has keep me from joining, but I'll just join next time with open turns and dolphin kick.

Try this - One flip turn per every 4 turns. That'll get you some practice without exhausting you. Then after a few practices, bump up your game to occasionally doing one every other turn. After you got that down, Then doing them for all turns on easier sets. Then upgrade to all the time. Should take about a month. Then you are rockin' like Dokken.

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When all else fails, swim butterfly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
RudeDude wrote:

Coolness. :)

Continuous just means don't stop at the walls until you're done. 25s sprint are totally doable in circle swim, they are just a bit messy. And an opportunity to practice mass swimming dynamics (bumping and grinding). Real swim practice is a lot like basketball or cycling in a pack - there's gonna be some crowding and contact. Don't be afraid of it, it's rarely causes a real problem. If you bump somebody, just say sorry and keep going. 99% of the time it just motivates the non-serious swimmers to pick another lane, which benefits you anyway, so go for it.

Say you're doing your sprint and you start to swing around the person in front of you. Another person is coming the other way! Either really punch it hard to get around the guy (good practice) or dive down deeper and go under the person coming at you, popping back up after he's passed (good practice). And to do this, you gotta keep your eye on who is where, which is also good practice for race day. After about 2 or 3 of these, that new person that joined your lane may say F-this and pick another lane. But now that's HIS choice and he's not as upset at the RudeDude. :)

Good advice. I don't mind the bump and grind at all since that is like race day, but other folks may get annoyed. As you say, it would be his choice to peace my barbaric lane.

Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
BTW why such a random interval? 900 yards? //

That was the giveaway that this is really a Somalian scam. You know those emails you get that have misspelled words, or the language is used wrong, or it begins with Dear Sir? There is no coach dead or alive(swimming wise) that gives out 900 swims, unless it is in the middle of some up or down ladder. This entire episode either did not happen, he does not really have a coach, or said coach is his brother in-law who never swam a lap in his life.. I call bullshit..

And if it did happen as described, dude needs to learn the etiquette of crowded pools. When you are the last lane splitting and someone else gets in, you circle. At that point I would look around and rearrange the lanes a bit to make sure I was swimming with the more proficient swimmers, but that would be about it...

I asked a question about etiquette and you say dude needs to learn etiquette. Thanks! And yes, that was truly a workout from my real coach who I pay (3x300 continuous pull).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you not work out for yourself that you don't own the pool and can't tell people not to swim in a lane with you?

They probably wanted to let you know that they were getting in, but got sick of waiting for your 900y interval to end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And yes, that was truly a workout from my real coach who I pay (3x300 continuous pull). //

You are killing me dude, 3X300 continuous pull!!!! How is that different than a 900 straight pull? This really has to be a scam now...

Just breaking your balls a bit, but not about these two sets you put forth, something fishy there...No coach dead, alive, or yet to be born would ever write 3X300 continuous pull...
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
When all else fails, swim butterfly.

Yup. Lots of body language available to send the message you intend to use your lane to the full extent possible. Reminds me of this -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
I asked a question about etiquette and you say dude needs to learn etiquette. Thanks! And yes, that was truly a workout from my real coach who I pay (3x300 continuous pull).

Didja get a trucker hat, too?

Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:
Not super relevant, but what intervals don't work well with circle swimming? If you're faster than someone, you pass them, shouldn't have to slow down more than a couple seconds to make sure​ it's clear

if you are a type-A triathlete person who has to do EXACTLY the workout coach has EXACTLY prescribed with absolutely no interruptions, then nothing works with circle swimming. You probably realize that things don't have to be quite so precise.

mostly true. I can think of one workout recently where I was doing all out 25s and 50s so if I was circle swimming with someone that could get annoying for them if I was constantly coming up behind them. Of course, being how slow I am, with my all outs they would still be coming up on my heels with their normal pace. ;) luckily at my pool I mostly have a lane to myself and if I am circle swimming with somebody I'll just adjust my workout if I think it's going to end up being an annoyance.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
RudeDude wrote:

Heh I deserve to be razzed for my poor etiquette, but coach is legit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now, I hate to jump in uninvited and all, but I also have an etiquette question. I am spoiled as I rarely have to circle swim. I have AOS, but I've been in and out of the pool for about 4 years and never run into outright hostility.

During a busy circle swim in an outdoor 50-yd pool last summer I passed another swimmer who felt I'd come too close to her so she punched me and took a swipe at my leg as I went by. I really honestly didn't feel I was that close---but I was avoiding oncoming traffic as much as her when I made my pass. There is no question about her sincerity. She yelled at me for a while at the far end, and by that point I wasn't going to apologize. I pointed out that it was really busy that day as there were probably twelve people in the lane (which was kind of two regular lanes merged) although only maybe 7 or 8 were actually swimming at any one time. I steered around her most of the rest of the morning until I again had to pass her, and which point she grabbed at my leg again. I suggested that she could try moving over to the right a little given the crowd. More yelling, to general amusement. The most I heard from anyone else was "Saturday mornings get weird."

Again, no doubt she was sincere. Far as I know she didn't yell at anyone else but me. That day, and any other day, no one else I passed seemed concerned by my passing methods or how I got out of the way as they came by.

Question is: How close is too close? I try to pass with minimal kick and to pass wide enough to avoid contact, but not much further. Shouldn't slower traffic move right a little?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
RandMart wrote:
RudeDude wrote:

I don't think so...and we are on to you. Admit it now before it gets (really) weird. You made this all up, didn't you?
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [PigBodine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Close enough to not make contact. Somewhat depends on who is coming the other way.

Her problem was that you were just close and there was no contact ? That caused her to punch you? I'd chalk that up to she's crazy.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
RudeDude wrote:
RandMart wrote:
RudeDude wrote:

I don't think so...and we are on to you. Admit it now before it gets (really) weird. You made this all up, didn't you?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*If* circle swim for lanes with more than two swimmers is the rule of the pool (and it seems to be the case, since you mentioned that a few other lanes had circle swimmers in it) - then, yes, you were wrong. If I was the other guy I would have ignored your special demand, since I'm paying the same amount of money as everyone else to use the pool and started circle swimming. You can then circle swim or collide with me and ruin your special 900 pull.

I get it, circle swimming sucks - especially when you have to share with johnny-wide-stroke, and grandma slowpoke. We've all been there. But, they pay the same amount to swim as you and I and believe it or not their workout is equally important as yours and mine.

Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
RudeDude wrote:
RandMart wrote:
RudeDude wrote:

Yup I was just lonely and wanted the attention.

Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Close enough to not make contact. Somewhat depends on who is coming the other way.

Her problem was that you were just close and there was no contact? That caused her to punch you? I'd chalk that up to she's crazy.

She was clearly just flirting

Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [PigBodine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PigBodine wrote:
Now, I hate to jump in uninvited and all, but I also have an etiquette question. I am spoiled as I rarely have to circle swim. I have AOS, but I've been in and out of the pool for about 4 years and never run into outright hostility.

During a busy circle swim in an outdoor 50-yd pool last summer I passed another swimmer who felt I'd come too close to her so she punched me and took a swipe at my leg as I went by. I really honestly didn't feel I was that close---but I was avoiding oncoming traffic as much as her when I made my pass. There is no question about her sincerity. She yelled at me for a while at the far end, and by that point I wasn't going to apologize. I pointed out that it was really busy that day as there were probably twelve people in the lane (which was kind of two regular lanes merged) although only maybe 7 or 8 were actually swimming at any one time. I steered around her most of the rest of the morning until I again had to pass her, and which point she grabbed at my leg again. I suggested that she could try moving over to the right a little given the crowd. More yelling, to general amusement. The most I heard from anyone else was "Saturday mornings get weird."

Again, no doubt she was sincere. Far as I know she didn't yell at anyone else but me. That day, and any other day, no one else I passed seemed concerned by my passing methods or how I got out of the way as they came by.

Question is: How close is too close? I try to pass with minimal kick and to pass wide enough to avoid contact, but not much further. Shouldn't slower traffic move right a little?

you were fine. she sounds like a psycho. if she doesn't want you passing her, just tap at her toes constantly until she lets you pass. other options are to do kick behind her or turn early at the wall.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [TriThisTriThat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriThisTriThat wrote:
This is why I'm glad the pool I use does not have any circle swimming. I hate it. It's stupid. Our pool rules are 2 to a lane and if it's all full, you wait. I learn what times to go and what times to avoid.

That's fine if you personally own the pool. Otherwise, it's disrespectful to the 99% of swimmers who have cracked the code of how to fit more than 2 people in a lane.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply

Prev Next