Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pool Courtesy Question
Quote | Reply
I was 815 yards into a 900 yard pull when my head knocks into the swimmer with whom I was sharing a lane. He motions to a third guy who had jumped into our lane and started circle swimming. When the third guy swam up to me, I said, sorry I'm doing a specific routine. No circle swim. He says he doesn't understand. I reiterate, we are swimming two to a lane and I am doing intervals that don't work with a group. He gets all pissed off, mumbles whatever dude and exits our lane.

For context, there were two other lanes that were pretty full of folks circle swimming. There was one other lane (in addition to mine) that was less full, so four total. I understand my lane had less traffic and could've accommodated more swimmers, but that's why I show up early to do the exact workout that my coach planned for me. Am I in the wrong?

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [RudeDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Am I in the wrong?

Yes but you do have the appropriate username.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes - you are wrong. Circle swimming should be the norm - though I know it is not. I have been swimming competitively for 47 years and can "out swim" most in a pool and I never tell someone they can't swim circles in my lane. It may mess up my workout, but that's the way it is. Pool space is very different than road/trail space for running and biking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say it depends on the ability of both swimmers. You were there first so he should have asked if he could get in your lane to which you would respond.

With the pool being that full you don't want to be the one guy that doesn't let anyone else in. I would explain your set and your ability then explain how your are doing a specific workout and cannot be disturbed and see what they say. Anyone who is an inferior swimmer will likely back away.

It also wouldn't hurt to ask if he could go to another lane while you finish the workout.

But in the end, he should've asked before just jumping in.
Last edited by: younggun15: Apr 11, 17 10:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah - you don't get to appoint your lane no more than 2 swimmers and force others to join more crowded lanes. If you want to do a specific workout guaranteed not to get interrupted go to masters swim. Otherwise you have to circle swim when a third person shows up.

Hopefully people are good about choosing a lane that best matches their speed or there are lifeguards to help facilitate that so speed differentials are not too big of a problem.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [younggun15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know. I was thrown off because yes, usually people offer the courtesy of asking before they jump in. Also, this pool sometimes has signs indicating circle swim for specific lanes, but this lane did not have such a sign.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
Good to know. I was thrown off because yes, usually people offer the courtesy of asking before they jump in. Also, this pool sometimes has signs indicating circle swim for specific lanes, but this lane did not have such a sign.

Yeah, you were wrong (as noted) but the other swimmer you were sharing with was also wrong for switching to circle without letting you know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:

I get why people would be mad and why it is rude, but, as a strong swimmer, I've also wasted an entire workout trolling behind someone else. Also, considering there are often signs indicating the type of swimming in each lane, I would say you made a fair assumption and are not in the wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say you both were at fault.

He should have asked before entering the lane, and established with you and/or the other guy what the pattern is.
But sounds like you came off rude, not sharing the lane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pool I use has some split-only lanes so it's a little more fuzzy but generally I'd say it was poor form.

If all lanes are full, none are circling & a minute or two has passed then it's fine to ask a splitting lane to circle but jumping in & starting to circle... not really cricket.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for reforming my rude ways ST. I'll be sure to use proper etiquette next time. But I won't apologize to that guy because he ruined my set.

Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you were wrong (as noted) but the other swimmer you were sharing with was also wrong for switching to circle without letting you know.

This, plus talking to people in your lane about your planned workout allows you to better coordinate not getting in each others way. The lifeguard should also be catching jackasses who jump into a lane without saying anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Circle is the norm. I circle even if I am the only one there. Take that for what its worth. 32 years of competitive swimming.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why I'm glad the pool I use does not have any circle swimming. I hate it. It's stupid. Our pool rules are 2 to a lane and if it's all full, you wait. I learn what times to go and what times to avoid.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is that the lifeguard's responsibility? I'm not sure the lifeguards at our pool would ever notice something like someone about to jump in without saying anything to the other person.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Communication can't be stressed enough.

BTW why such a random interval? 900 yards?

Once in a blue moon I do more than 400 straight in training. 59 minute 5 k this year, 4:14 400m, 8:55 800m and 16:58 1500m ...

Not only are shorter reps more effective it helps you keep track of your surroundings better too.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
900 yards is about a half mile.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a 900 pull is still a strange distance to be prescribed by a coach.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DV8R wrote:
I'd say you both were at fault.

He should have asked before entering the lane, and established with you and/or the other guy what the pattern is.
But sounds like you came off rude, not sharing the lane.

sounds like new guy asked other guy, but OP didn't notice.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
I was 815 yards into a 900 yard pull when my head knocks into the swimmer with whom I was sharing a lane. He motions to a third guy who had jumped into our lane and started circle swimming. When the third guy swam up to me, I said, sorry I'm doing a specific routine. No circle swim. He says he doesn't understand. I reiterate, we are swimming two to a lane and I am doing intervals that don't work with a group. He gets all pissed off, mumbles whatever dude and exits our lane.

For context, there were two other lanes that were pretty full of folks circle swimming. There was one other lane (in addition to mine) that was less full, so four total. I understand my lane had less traffic and could've accommodated more swimmers, but that's why I show up early to do the exact workout that my coach planned for me. Am I in the wrong?

I just wish I could get people to Circle swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Why is that the lifeguard's responsibility? I'm not sure the lifeguards at our pool would ever notice something like someone about to jump in without saying anything to the other person.

Why should a lifeguard keep someone from getting hurt? Yes, the people who swim should know better but many don't. I had a mentally handicapped person get in my lane this past weekend. I had seen him, so I was a little leery, but was glad the lifeguard spoke to him before he got in. A lot of lifeguards at my pool are men in their 50's and if they see someone who they haven't seen before, they talk to them to make sure they know what's going on. It's not like lifeguards at a pool are too overworked to get off their butts - running into another person's head with your head sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lifeguards here are high school or college kids, usually. They'll help to resolve a dispute, but if it is a lane for open swim they typically aren't going to check and see if you've spoken with the person already in the pool, particularly if you look like you know what you are doing.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not super relevant, but what intervals don't work well with circle swimming? If you're faster than someone, you pass them, shouldn't have to slow down more than a couple seconds to make sure​ it's clear
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Courtesy Question [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Not super relevant, but what intervals don't work well with circle swimming? If you're faster than someone, you pass them, shouldn't have to slow down more than a couple seconds to make sure​ it's clear

if you are a type-A triathlete person who has to do EXACTLY the workout coach has EXACTLY prescribed with absolutely no interruptions, then nothing works with circle swimming. You probably realize that things don't have to be quite so precise.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
Thanks for reforming my rude ways ST. I'll be sure to use proper etiquette next time. But I won't apologize to that guy because he ruined my set.

Show us your set that was ruined, holding it in your hands for us to see. Wait, you can't. That's because what makes up a "set" is made up in your mind and only exists in the imagination. Therefore, it can't be "ruined".

What is ruined is your perception of how things should go, and that's totally up to you to ruin or enjoy. So he didn't ruin it, you did.

And the longer you hold onto being upset about it, the more rope burn you cause yourself. Live and learn, let go, and use those calories to have a better workout next time instead.

Ommmmmm and shit,

B.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next