Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl - Great job on the new Speed Concept - Are any of the new components compatible with the previous/current generation frames?

-Stem/Bars?
-Speed Fin?
-Full Foil Fork?
-2 Pack Aero?
-Other?

Thanks

Ohh and it would be great to rotate the bike 360 degrees in project 1...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [JussiHoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Juha-

There is a fit chart for the new bike which is very similar to the old chart...currently visible to dealers, and I expect it'll get out on the public site before too long.

On mono length, a new feature is cut-to-length capability at the shifter end...about 40mm worth...on all of the mono shapes. The only one which comes in two lengths is the ergo bend...the long version of which has the same overall length as the S-bend and straight stick versions. Like the previous bike, there's quite a bit of overlap in fit capability in our cockpit system...so the short ergo really only becomes necessary for very short people/fits...say, people with pad to shifter distances of less than 260mm or so. Ergo aficionados who might want to save a little weight (no, I don't know the # off hand) could consider the short in lieu of the long if their pad to shifter distance is no more than 370mm or so. Yours is on the order of 300mm, so in an ergo bend you could go either way and you'd also be able to hit your fit on any of the other mono shapes.

Because the geometry didn't change and cockpit hardware follows the same fit philosophy (in a different form) from the old bike to the new, you end up with the same answer on frame and stem: Medium and Medium-Far respectively.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [punchcard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi punchcard-

An outstanding team is behind the new bike...several who worked on the previous bike, and a bunch of new faces too. Been fun to be a part of it all again.

The only part in your list which is platform-independent is the 2Pack. Too many things we wanted (and needed) to do for aero, integration, and fit purposes to go for cross-compatibility on the rest. The new Tri Carbon Computer Cage which you see as a BTA bottle in the renderings is also platform-independent. As a bonus, the mounting feature for it is slotted for most of its length, vs a single discrete pair of holes, for more positioning flexibility whether you use it on our bike or anyone else's.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,
Does the new Speed Concept share the same seatpost as the old Speed Concept?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [rlem7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no...but if you had an old Equinox TTX post it would fit the new bike.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am having problems with my Di2 rear derailleur not shifting. I want to check the junction box to make sure everything is still connected right. What's the best way to get to junction box? Has this happened to anyone else? How'd you fix it?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jgarza22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you've exhausted all the other easy possibilities (low battery, connection @RD, shifter connections, front junction box connection)

and a couple of the harder ones (pinched wiring between bar and stem - this one got me once, front junction wedged inside stem such that the function button is depressed)

then you might consider substituting known good parts for suspected bad ones (if LBS has a Di2 bike you could simply try plugging your RD connection into a different RD, and so on)

and after all that, maybe you tackle the rear junction connections. while it's possible to get at that cluster without removing the crankset, it's not what I'd call easy and it takes about the same amount of wrenching (basically you need to remove the rear brake assembly to have enough room to go fishing around for the Di2 wiring). from a less greasy & messy standpoint that might be preferable for some home mechanics, but if you don't have the tools or confidence to remove and reinstall the BB bearings then you either try that or head for your LBS...who might have the Di2 diagnostic tool and be able to check your system that way too.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Is the 2Pack available for purchase? Or if not yet, do you have an expected availability date? (I have a 2010 SC and would love to get the 2Pack for some upcoming races.)

Thanks
Owen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,
is the new TSC size XS with 650 wheels ? Like the first version.
Thanks
Fred
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [FredD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi FredD

Yes it is. Same geometry as before as well.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Would the new larger Bento Box and Draft Box work equally well (aerodynamically and functionally) on the older (but still imo awesome) SCs?

Thank you.

Carl wrote:
Hi punchcard-

An outstanding team is behind the new bike...several who worked on the previous bike, and a bunch of new faces too. Been fun to be a part of it all again.

The only part in your list which is platform-independent is the 2Pack. Too many things we wanted (and needed) to do for aero, integration, and fit purposes to go for cross-compatibility on the rest. The new Tri Carbon Computer Cage which you see as a BTA bottle in the renderings is also platform-independent. As a bonus, the mounting feature for it is slotted for most of its length, vs a single discrete pair of holes, for more positioning flexibility whether you use it on our bike or anyone else's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone with an XS successfully use a wheelcover? If so, which brand and on what wheels?
I've been just running H3's, but the new bike came w/ (narrow) HED Jet 60's so thinking about trying to turn it into a disc.
Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the new Speedbox will fit, and even though it doesn't mate up to the 9srs cable cover perfectly I wouldn't expect the aero difference to be measurable.

the new Draftbox attaches to the bike differently than the old one, so they're not cross-compatible.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just noticed my earlier this week that my 100/45 stem had cracked. Not sure how it happened but I noticed it after taking a look at the front end when the bike started making all kinds of noise. Took it to my LBS and they talked to trek.... trek shipped a new stem out the same day and should be here in a few days all under warranty. Thanks TREK!!

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Hi Juha-

There is a fit chart for the new bike which is very similar to the old chart...currently visible to dealers, and I expect it'll get out on the public site before too long.

On mono length, a new feature is cut-to-length capability at the shifter end...about 40mm worth...on all of the mono shapes. The only one which comes in two lengths is the ergo bend...the long version of which has the same overall length as the S-bend and straight stick versions. Like the previous bike, there's quite a bit of overlap in fit capability in our cockpit system...so the short ergo really only becomes necessary for very short people/fits...say, people with pad to shifter distances of less than 260mm or so. Ergo aficionados who might want to save a little weight (no, I don't know the # off hand) could consider the short in lieu of the long if their pad to shifter distance is no more than 370mm or so. Yours is on the order of 300mm, so in an ergo bend you could go either way and you'd also be able to hit your fit on any of the other mono shapes.

Because the geometry didn't change and cockpit hardware follows the same fit philosophy (in a different form) from the old bike to the new, you end up with the same answer on frame and stem: Medium and Medium-Far respectively.

Is this chart usable by mortals to determine if a speed concept could be fit well to me?

I have had a fit done and the numbers are in my profile.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [lurch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sure, the new chart works almost exactly the same as the old one...only better.

your profile coordinates don't directly plug into the chart, which operates from pad stack and reach as the primary inputs...so I quickly CADed yours up from the profile info and I'm getting pad stack of 755mm and pad reach around 490mm. I will note, though, that something doesn't seem quite right in your profile #s...I'm guessing your pads-to-shifters was taken from the front of the pad not the back. math doesn't work out for your total cockpit length vs saddle-to-pad plus pad-to-shifter even with the angle adjustment for your pad drop.

anyway...

those pad coordinates above are actually slightly off the chart...an XL with the high-near stem and the tallest monospacer tops out at 740mm. if those 15mm are non-negotiable, I'm afraid we can't get up to where you are with the fully integrated cockpit. at the same time, with the use of the false steerer accessory and an appropriate standard stem length and rise, I'm confident a bar system like our RXL Carbon Aero can get there.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off does anyone know if the new internal Di2 battery will fit in the 2011 SC? Secondly is it compatible with the 7900 internal wiring?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Everyone,

Have any 2.5 owners changed the brakes to Bontrager Speed Limit brakes? I'm not finding the stock brakes to be overly easy to adjust.

Cheers,

Dunedin397
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Pun1sher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Officially, no. Unofficially, yes it can.

Not compatible with 7900.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
sure, the new chart works almost exactly the same as the old one...only better.

your profile coordinates don't directly plug into the chart, which operates from pad stack and reach as the primary inputs...so I quickly CADed yours up from the profile info and I'm getting pad stack of 755mm and pad reach around 490mm. I will note, though, that something doesn't seem quite right in your profile #s...I'm guessing your pads-to-shifters was taken from the front of the pad not the back. math doesn't work out for your total cockpit length vs saddle-to-pad plus pad-to-shifter even with the angle adjustment for your pad drop.

anyway...

those pad coordinates above are actually slightly off the chart...an XL with the high-near stem and the tallest monospacer tops out at 740mm. if those 15mm are non-negotiable, I'm afraid we can't get up to where you are with the fully integrated cockpit. at the same time, with the use of the false steerer accessory and an appropriate standard stem length and rise, I'm confident a bar system like our RXL Carbon Aero can get there.

Thank you for your time. I transposed those number from a fit document a shop gave me. I don't know where they measured from the doc just says aerobar length.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
no...but if you had an old Equinox TTX post it would fit the new bike.

Carl,

Nice to see they corrected a major design flaw, but....

What does this mean for those of us who have had problems with the old seat post design and have had to replace it due to cracks? How long will they continue to make the old posts? Do I need to stock up on $200 carbon seat posts so that I'll be able to use my expensive bike in a few years?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [gradiology] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That question has been asked since the 70s and it is the same basic issue faced by bike consumers whenever new components are introduced.

From experience (not just related to Trek), you will have to stack up on some bike parts and frame parts that you believe won't last as long as the bike - if you wish to continue using your bike / frame. Eventually, manufacturers will stop making these components because there simply will be no demand for them. That's why if you look at ebay, you will see a lot of old bike components that came out in the 80s can still sell for a premium. Colnago 1 inch forks are sold for over $300 sometimes and you will be lucky if you get a 28.1 mm Colnago carbon seatpost that came with the C40 for 10 years.

The only company I know that continues to make original parts for 100% of their products is Mercedes Benz. If you have a really old Merc and you needed a part for it, any MB dealer can get you a replacement from Stutgart. If they have it there (they have a huge inventory of old parts) then they will send it to you (for a premium price). If they do not have it, then they will make you one - for an even bigger premium. That's why ALL Merc parts have specific part numbers.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paxfobiscum wrote:
That question has been asked since the 70s and it is the same basic issue faced by bike consumers whenever new components are introduced.

From experience (not just related to Trek), you will have to stack up on some bike parts and frame parts that you believe won't last as long as the bike - if you wish to continue using your bike / frame. Eventually, manufacturers will stop making these components because there simply will be no demand for them. That's why if you look at ebay, you will see a lot of old bike components that came out in the 80s can still sell for a premium. Colnago 1 inch forks are sold for over $300 sometimes and you will be lucky if you get a 28.1 mm Colnago carbon seatpost that came with the C40 for 10 years.

The only company I know that continues to make original parts for 100% of their products is Mercedes Benz. If you have a really old Merc and you needed a part for it, any MB dealer can get you a replacement from Stutgart. If they have it there (they have a huge inventory of old parts) then they will send it to you (for a premium price). If they do not have it, then they will make you one - for an even bigger premium. That's why ALL Merc parts have specific part numbers.

Thanks for the reply. I realize that which is why I wanted to know how long Carl thought Trek would continue making the old seat posts so I could have an idea as to when I would need to have my stockpile.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wich part fitting or compatibility? Please explain the unofficial answer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next