Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [sheesleev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beta vs VHS

time will tell

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:
not only must you buy the stem from Trek, you are only allowed to have said stem bought by and shipped to a Trek dealer.

Would you go to a Toyota dealer to buy parts for a Ford?

Lots of dealerships will work on anything. Chances are, they have a sister dealership of the relevant brand, so parts aren't an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
i'm not sure why i'm responding to a troll, but here it goes:

1. trek does have a corner of the tri market, but more specifically, has the largest corner of the BICYCLE market.
2. cervelo's p5 also, in fact, has a proprietary stem.
3. in fact, most super bikes are moving toward that model to ensure aero-dynamics.
4. this mostly sounds like an issue with the bike shop.
5. not at LBS are exclusively Trek. in fact, most are not.
6. did you really buy a 9 series Trek and not know this?
7. this isn't a new "policy," as the SC has been out since... 2011(?), and the 9 series had a proprietary stem the whole time
8. if you know your stack and reach numbers (i am fairly certain you don't know what that means, based on everything you have written so far), you would not need to guess multiple times about the stem you need.
9. that's all i have the energy to explain to you at the moment.

+1. Also, I have a huge fit window just using the low/far stem on my '14 Speed Concept.
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL at thread....
I have a 2012 SC 9 series I love. It's not exactly rocket science building one of these. I'll never understand relying on shops to do all the work on your bike. Doing things yourself is rewarding, cheaper, and when you take your time it's actually done right. If you're a mtber like myself you have to learn to fix broken shit or you will be out a bike half the season with the 2 week wait times shops have to recable a bike. Everything is on youtube nowadays anyway....
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [sheesleev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sheesleev [b wrote:
]Since Trek does not allow bike shops to sell anything but Trek if they sell Trek at all,[/b] this means you must go to a Trek store. If your local, oh say, three bike shops, are all non-Trek shops, this means you must drive oh, say, 50 miles one way to the Trek store to order the part, and for the store to install the stem.

Well, that's obviously not true.

Didn't bother reading past that. If you mess that up that badly, then I don't have much hope for the rest of the post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sheesleev wrote:
please, direct me to a post somewhere, anywhere, that tells me this is a problem with Trek.

the error in your thinking is that most people would see this (proprietary stem/bar setup) as a "problem". Used to be that only the few highest-end models had that. But like other things, it's trickled down to lower end models too. Yeah, it's a problem if you want to easily swap different stem lengths or use different bars. But apparently most are OK with that tradeoff to get the cleaner design of the integrated setup.

As others have noted it's really not too hard to get the right length and rise. Trek has a pretty simple-to-use size chart. Take your stack and reach measurement and plug it in the table.
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious to know if the OP knew the specific p/n he needed, and the LBS somehow ordered in the wrong part multiple times, or something else is going on with the OP not really knowing what he needs for his bike, and it being a bunch of trial and error.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
i'm not sure why i'm responding to a troll, but here it goes:

1. trek does have a corner of the tri market, but more specifically, has the largest corner of the BICYCLE market.

False.

I believe you meant to say Giant. Additionally, I believe Giant makes all of Trek's aluminum bikes (the frame that is).

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure why the OP started a new thread, chainpin conveniently started a thread for this exact issue a long time ago.

Check this thread out.
Last edited by: sentania: Aug 19, 14 5:05
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, you are correct, Giant is the largest.

I believe Trek was the first company to clear $1b in revenue, though. So they aren't exactly a slouch.

To your second point, that is kind of true. Giant has a manufacturing plant in (Taiwan?), and I believe that they mfg the carbon fiber "weave" and/or aluminum, and then sell to various bike companies. However, all of the Trek SCs are manufactured in Wisconsin.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:

I believe Trek was the first company to clear $1b in revenue, though. So they aren't exactly a slouch.

To your second point, that is kind of true. Giant has a manufacturing plant in (Taiwan?), and I believe that they mfg the carbon fiber "weave" and/or aluminum, and then sell to various bike companies. However, all of the Trek SCs are manufactured in Wisconsin.

For clarification, only treks SC9's come out of Waterloo. The 7 series comes out of China. OR at least my 2011 model did. Trek only makes their highest end frames domestically, the 2nd and 3rd tier version are made overseas...like most everyone else. The design for those frames is usually simpler due to common mfg methods instead of more advanced proprietary methods and in a way that less likely to have QC issues... better for mass production.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giant is the largest manufacturer. In the US, Trek is the largest distributor.....and they do dominate the bicycle market in the US.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i just got my project 1 2014 7.5 and it has a 'made in Wisconsin, usa' sticker on it? Maybe all P1's are made there no matter what series etc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the heck did I miss? What was in the original post?

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
afurlong wrote:

For clarification, only treks SC9's come out of Waterloo. The 7 series comes out of China. OR at least my 2011 model did. Trek only makes their highest end frames domestically, the 2nd and 3rd tier version are made overseas...like most everyone else. The design for those frames is usually simpler due to common mfg methods instead of more advanced proprietary methods and in a way that less likely to have QC issues... better for mass production.

Carbon manufacturing capabilities in the Asia rival that of any other manufacturing region in the world, and is arguably better.

The decision to manufacture in the US vs. Taiwan or China encompasses many different aspects, including domestic capabilities, tooling required, cost of labor, duty and a whole host of other details.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
i just got my project 1 2014 7.5 and it has a 'made in Wisconsin, usa' sticker on it? Maybe all P1's are made there no matter what series etc?

Does it say "Made in Wisconsin" or "Assembled in the United States"?

As per a post from Carl earlier in the year, 2014 Speed Concepts (including 9 series) were made elsewhere and painted in the US if they are P1 bikes or that is what I took from a post in the SC thread.

I believe 7 series (and maybe 6 series) Madones are the only US made bikes but I could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paxfobiscum wrote:

Quick summary,

Whaaa, my bike shop screwed up, trek is to blame, super bikes suck because of integrated stems!

This can easily be translated into, "I didn't do my research on knowing the exact frame and stem size I needed for my SC so I will blame everyone else..."
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:

Does it say "Made in Wisconsin" or "Assembled in the United States"?

As per a post from Carl earlier in the year, 2014 Speed Concepts (including 9 series) were made elsewhere and painted in the US if they are P1 bikes or that is what I took from a post in the SC thread.

I believe 7 series (and maybe 6 series) Madones are the only US made bikes but I could be wrong.

just checked and you are correct! assembled in the USA. No idea why i thought it said made in wisconsin.
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paxfobiscum wrote:

sheesleev wrote:
I have always been a trek fan. Trek mt bike, trek road bike, upgrade to better Trek road bike, Trek tri bike, BUT Trek has now changed its policies that will keep me from recommending trek in the future. They have begun placing "proprietary" stems on their tri bikes (surely the road bikes are to follow). What this means is that if you get a 7 or 9 series Trek tri bike, i.e. Speed Concept, any stem that you are your trusty local bike shop have in stock will not fit. instead, you must buy the stem through Trek. not only must you buy the stem from Trek, you are only allowed to have said stem bought by and shipped to a Trek dealer. Since Trek does not allow bike shops to sell anything but Trek if they sell Trek at all, this means you must go to a Trek store. If your local, oh say, three bike shops, are all non-Trek shops, this means you must drive oh, say, 50 miles one way to the Trek store to order the part, and for the store to install the stem.

The emphasis was mine after he whined at me asking him to show him any post where he suggested it was a problem with Trek.

There were about 4 other paragraphs in his rambling diatribe about how he hasn't been able to ride his superbike all summer because of sucky trek and sucky bike shop.

Just noticed it was his first post on the forum as well, hope he enjoyed his introduction.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably because it says "Designed in Waterloo, Wisconsin" somewhere on the frame. My aluminum Trek Madone 2.1 has that printed on the NDS chainstay I think and I think my SC 7.5 has that in the same place, but both are made elsewhere
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh, OK. Got it. Thanks John.

Clearly a simple case of buying without doing any research. Noticed he just registered in ST yesterday so I would assume he hasn't been reading much about the Speed Concept. I am wondering though why he claims he is such a big "Trek fan" and having owned multiple Trek bikes - and being totally unawared of the proprietory stem on the 9-series. Obviously he was also not aware that the 7-series can use a regular stem, and that the 9-series can also use a regular stem with the adaptor. I wonder where he bought all his "other" trek bikes. I guess he didn't mind driving 50 miles away to purchase them...

Oh well.. much ado about nothing really.

Move along folks....

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
afurlong wrote:

That was true for the first generation SC9. All second generation SC frames are manufactured offshore.

Only the top end end Madone frames are manufactured in the US of A.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL. Nothing new. Most of you here are probably too young to remember all the odd ball size stuff Schwinn did back in their heyday in the 60's. Even the components from their suppliers had to be "Schwinn Approved".

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
afurlong wrote:

Carbon manufacturing capabilities in the Asia rival that of any other manufacturing region in the world, and is arguably better.

The decision to manufacture in the US vs. Taiwan or China encompasses many different aspects, including domestic capabilities, tooling required, cost of labor, duty and a whole host of other details.

I didn't mean that they couldn't produce it, but Trek might want more control and might be doing something different with that model, compared to a high volume model. They might not want that tooling over there so it can be copied easily. I agree, there's a whole host of reasons. Trek probably gets some tax credits or relief for example for retaining a minimum number of jobs in the US.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
trek probably gets some tax credits or relief for example for retaining a minimum number of jobs in the US

Well if you believe Scott Walker - trek is an evil, greedy corporation - with no goal other than ship as many jobs to China as possible.
Quote Reply

Prev Next