Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:

just checked and you are correct! assembled in the USA. No idea why i thought it said made in wisconsin.

Don't worry, imagine how sad I was when it turns out the sticker on my Trek isn't actually telling the whole truth. My old 2400 1200 is in fact not a Tour de France Champion. Damn!

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I can relate.

I wanted some small front end parts for an Argon 18 E-114. About $50 worth of parts if I recall.
Couldn't order through the Argon 18 website. Had to call up an Argon 18 dealer in another city to order the parts for me... then mail them to me!
Absurd.

I understand the whole go to the LBS thing, but small replacement parts (special bolts, stems, seat clamps, maybe even proprietary seat posts(?)) should be available to order online from the manufacturer.
Use a third-party to pack and ship if it's a hassle... but give bike owners the option.
Are you listening bike manufacturers?

The problem with your assessment of buying factory direct is: the factory/manufaturer has a dealer agreement. They agree that they will stay out of the retail business and for that agreement, the dealer pays them a lot of money to have the rights to sell their product. The dealer not only pays for the rights to sell said product, they also invest in brick and mortar, store front. They are also the ones that help sponsor all of the local triathlons and provide race support.

Seeing as they make such a substantial investment, I don't mind buying everything from them
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [buck_shot11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buck_shot11 wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
I can relate.

I wanted some small front end parts for an Argon 18 E-114. About $50 worth of parts if I recall.
Couldn't order through the Argon 18 website. Had to call up an Argon 18 dealer in another city to order the parts for me... then mail them to me!
Absurd.

I understand the whole go to the LBS thing, but small replacement parts (special bolts, stems, seat clamps, maybe even proprietary seat posts(?)) should be available to order online from the manufacturer.
Use a third-party to pack and ship if it's a hassle... but give bike owners the option.
Are you listening bike manufacturers?

The problem with your assessment of buying factory direct is: the factory/manufaturer has a dealer agreement. They agree that they will stay out of the retail business and for that agreement, the dealer pays them a lot of money to have the rights to sell their product. The dealer not only pays for the rights to sell said product, they also invest in brick and mortar, store front. They are also the ones that help sponsor all of the local triathlons and provide race support.

Seeing as they make such a substantial investment, I don't mind buying everything from them

The last time I went into a bike shopping asking them to order a $20 part from a bike manufacturer... well.. it was the last time.
Bike shops don't make anything ordering inexpensive replacement parts. In fact... I bet they lose money almost every time.
I stopped buying bike brands that I can't maintain myself... there goes the bike sale to the LBS as well.
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
However, all of the Trek SCs are manufactured in Wisconsin.

Er. No.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for your contribution to this meaningless thread

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
thanks for your contribution to this meaningless thread

Almost as meaningless as stating that all SC are made in Wisconsin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Giant is bigger than Trek. It's not giant, but it is bigger in the miniscule market of selling bicycles.
2. Yes, but at least the P5's proprietary stem doesn't force you so high you're catching wind like a sail
3. And ensure you are high and slow, and buy high margin bento boxes and bta setups, along with the new model in two years, to make you less slow
4. Local bike shops are terrible. All of them.
5. Giant is the only one forcing exclusive Giant-only shops, and they're smart to do it. Why would I want my SC 9.9 next to a QR? Someone who knows something might actually sell the latter to someone who wants to be fast.
6. You'd be amazed what people who sell the 9 series don't know, let alone the people who buy it.
7. But it wasn't until 2014 that they cut the balls off previous generations of SC owners by making almost everything new on it proprietary.
8. False. See: Felt IA. There are lies and there are damn lies.
9. Agree
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [romulusmagnus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:
1. Giant is bigger than Trek. It's not giant, but it is bigger in the miniscule market of selling bicycles.
2. Yes, but at least the P5's proprietary stem doesn't force you so high you're catching wind like a sail
3. And ensure you are high and slow, and buy high margin bento boxes and bta setups, along with the new model in two years, to make you less slow
5. Giant is the only one forcing exclusive Giant-only shops, and they're smart to do it. Why would I want my SC 9.9 next to a QR? Someone who knows something might actually sell the latter to someone who wants to be fast.
6. You'd be amazed what people who sell the 9 series don't know, let alone the people who buy it.
7. But it wasn't until 2014 that they cut the balls off previous generations of SC owners by making almost everything new on it proprietary.
9. Agree

Funny, some if the fastest TT/Tri folks I know ride the SC... Jim from ERO also said it is a fast bike (as is the Felt IA). But I guess you are almighty internet Lord who dominates all aero huh?
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't follow, what did he say that led you to believe he doesn't think the SC is fast?

----
@adamwfurlong
Last edited by: afurlong: Aug 22, 14 7:13
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he never said the SC is not fast. A local cat 2 just did a 51 in a 25mi tt riding an old Kuota.....guess its fast too using your logic.
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [romulusmagnus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:
9. Agree

Ugh. The P5 has no such thing. It comes with a standard 1 1/8" steerer tube which can be used with any stem/bar combo of your choosing. OR you can use the Aduro bar - which still uses a 1 1/8" steerer/stem combo to secure the bars in a single piece to the fork steerer. Those bars can be used across any other bike that uses an industry standard 1 1/8" steerer.

This thread...is worthless.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply

Prev Next