Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by sheesleev
Last edited by: sheesleev: Aug 18, 14 15:37
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [sheesleev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lance? Is that you?
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [sheesleev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS sells Trek, BMC, Wilier, and tricycles.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could have purchased a SC 7.0 if you were so concerned with the stem...

That being said, my experience with Trek so far has been nothing but awesome. That includes warranty service on a seatpost that slipped (shop hadn't tightened it down enough). I've been happy enough with them that I'm looking at buying a road bike from them next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry your getting screwed around by Trek..... They should treat you better after all that you have done for them, Lance.

J

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:

My LBS sells Trek and Fuji.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm not sure why i'm responding to a troll, but here it goes:

1. trek does have a corner of the tri market, but more specifically, has the largest corner of the BICYCLE market.
2. cervelo's p5 also, in fact, has a proprietary stem.
3. in fact, most super bikes are moving toward that model to ensure aero-dynamics.
4. this mostly sounds like an issue with the bike shop.
5. not at LBS are exclusively Trek. in fact, most are not.
6. did you really buy a 9 series Trek and not know this?
7. this isn't a new "policy," as the SC has been out since... 2011(?), and the 9 series had a proprietary stem the whole time
8. if you know your stack and reach numbers (i am fairly certain you don't know what that means, based on everything you have written so far), you would not need to guess multiple times about the stem you need.
9. that's all i have the energy to explain to you at the moment.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
making it hard to get proprietary parts is definitely bad business practice.

read wheelmen if you want more reason to hate the company =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can relate.

I wanted some small front end parts for an Argon 18 E-114. About $50 worth of parts if I recall.
Couldn't order through the Argon 18 website. Had to call up an Argon 18 dealer in another city to order the parts for me... then mail them to me!
Absurd.

I understand the whole go to the LBS thing, but small replacement parts (special bolts, stems, seat clamps, maybe even proprietary seat posts(?)) should be available to order online from the manufacturer.
Use a third-party to pack and ship if it's a hassle... but give bike owners the option.
Are you listening bike manufacturers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sheesleev wrote:
wahh wahh cry pity me cry cry didn't do my research wahh wahh <snip>

Fuck Trek, Fuck their stores, Fuck their polices, and Fuck me for having spent so much money on a 9 series bike that cannot be ridden.

Steve Martin's take on a similar situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWRxPDhd3d0

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Last edited by: Devlin: Aug 18, 14 15:05
Quote Reply
Post deleted by sheesleev [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sheesleev wrote:
if you could read, you would know, the problem comes when the bike shop is NOT awesome.

If the problem is the not awesome bike shop, then why is your first post on the forum bashing the manufacturer in a crass and juvenile manner?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Last edited by: sheesleev: Aug 18, 14 15:37
Quote | Reply
sheesleev wrote:
Devlin wrote:
sheesleev wrote:

Fuck Trek, Fuck their stores, Fuck their polices, and Fuck me for having spent so much money on a 9 series bike that cannot be ridden.

John

please, direct me to a post somewhere, anywhere, that tells me this is a problem with Trek. if you had any reading comprehension, you would have noticed my saying Fuck me for ever buying Trek. -- for those of you who are really slow, that means, Fuck me for buying Trek. pretty fucking stupid move, and a warning to anyone who considers Trek. -- not only will you be fucked, you have good old fuck head John trolling you and is also the asshole who drafts during races and hangs out in the left lane.

Awww...did you get your widdle panties in a bunch there slugger?

How about this:
sheesleev wrote:
I have always been a trek fan. Trek mt bike, trek road bike, upgrade to better Trek road bike, Trek tri bike, BUT Trek has now changed its policies that will keep me from recommending trek in the future. They have begun placing "proprietary" stems on their tri bikes (surely the road bikes are to follow). What this means is that if you get a 7 or 9 series Trek tri bike, i.e. Speed Concept, any stem that you are your trusty local bike shop have in stock will not fit. instead, you must buy the stem through Trek. not only must you buy the stem from Trek, you are only allowed to have said stem bought by and shipped to a Trek dealer. Since Trek does not allow bike shops to sell anything but Trek if they sell Trek at all, this means you must go to a Trek store. If your local, oh say, three bike shops, are all non-Trek shops, this means you must drive oh, say, 50 miles one way to the Trek store to order the part, and for the store to install the stem.

Seems like you regard it as a problem with Trek. I can't help your revisionist history, you're just another "all about me someone else must be at fault" douchbottle.

John

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain, I have to drive 90 minutes out of state to get to my Trek dealer. But...he is a very good one!!

On the other hand in my state, what you describe is standard practice for auto repairs. My auto dealer seems to always order the wrong part, and then he only places orders once a week! It took me 6 weeks of downtime to get a routine tune up, he has improved, he can now do it in 10 days!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sheesleev wrote:
scofflaw wrote:

they no longer will now that you dimed them out to Trek

Maybe you should do a little more research there, sporto. Trek does not have an exclusivity clause with every shop. Pretty much every shop in the Phoenix area that carries Trek also carries other bike brands.

John

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others have said, I don't know why I'm trying to sort through the troll-babble, but here it goes.

1. You are only partially correct: the 7.5 has a proprietary stem. The 7.0 does not. If you didn't want an integrated cockpit, don't buy a bike with an integrated cockpit.
2. You'd be hard pressed to find a single superbike that doesn't have a proprietary stem. It allows bike manufacturers to have better aerodynamics at the cost of ease of maintenance.
3. Calling people on here out for not being able to read is hardly going to get anyone on your side. Had you made this post about the downsides and pitfalls of the trend of integrated front ends, with an emphasis on Trek, you'd have a lot more persuasive power. Now I just kind of think you're whining. While I'm all for integration, I can definitely understand the argument against it.
4. I'm just going to reiterate the second half of #1 again. If you didn't want an integrated cockpit, don't buy a bike with an integrated cockpit. It's as simple as that. You made your bed by buying a superbike. Now sleep in it.

EDIT:

I'm going to try to be constructive here. If you posted your stack and reach numbers, I'm sure many people here could tell you exactly which stem you need. Then buy it from here: http://trekjax.com/...pt-stem-195857-1.htm or any other Trek dealer with an online store. They aren't even that difficult to install. Remove the basebar, release the front brake and swap the stem.
There are only 6 stems and 3 monospacers and page 7 of this pdf tells you exactly which one to get (and even if you need the 5mm pad wing spacer): http://www.slowtwitch.com/...C_FitGuide_final.pdf
Last edited by: Anando: Aug 18, 14 18:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sheesleev wrote:
PeteDin206 wrote:
You could have purchased a SC 7.0 if you were so concerned with the stem...

That being said, my experience with Trek so far has been nothing but awesome. That includes warranty service on a seatpost that slipped (shop hadn't tightened it down enough). I've been happy enough with them that I'm looking at buying a road bike from them next.

I COULD have bought a different bike had I know there was going to be such a problem getting the correct size stem. also, the newest 7 series also has the proprietary stem - so no, I would not have bought a problem buying a different bike based on something I did not know. I bought the bike having no idea there would be such an issue with the stem. Don't care how awesome your shop is, if you could read, you would know, the problem comes when the bike shop is NOT awesome.

Wrong... The base model 7 series comes with a different stem.

That being said, had YOU used proper YOUR fit coordinates when ordering YOUR bike YOU wouldn't be having this issue. It sounds like YOU didn't know what stem to order and rather then leverage resources available (the SC fit guide and Carl who is extremely helpful), YOU ordered the size that YOU thought would be right. When ordering a bike that cost in excess of $7000, it would be logical that YOU would ensure that YOU understand YOUR fit needs before YOU finalize YOUR order.
Quote Reply
Re: New TREK policies, or Why not to ever buy a Trek [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>8. if you know your stack and reach numbers (i am fairly certain you don't know what that means, based on everything you have written so far), you would not need to guess multiple times about the stem you need.

You don't have to know anything about stack and reach to know what stem you need.

And I don't think he's guessing, it's someone else (LBS/Trek) who seem to be guessing.

And, lastly, if not very well articulated, he has a point. I do appreciate Felt who has an online store for all the variants of their proprietary Bayonet system. That makes things pretty easy on the consumer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new trek 7.0 does not come with the proprietary stem. The 7.5 does.

You do know that you can put any regular stem on the 9 series and run any base bar/aero bar you wish right?

It honestly sounds like your lbs blows and doesn't know what they are doing. I wouldn't be surprised if they ordered the wrong stem and are just blaming it on trek to make themselves look better. For your own sake, start doing your own research and working on your own bike. The service manual online is a huge help and has every part number you could possibly need. Give part number to lbs and tell them to order it. This will eliminate any mix up on what to order from your lbs.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
not only must you buy the stem from Trek, you are only allowed to have said stem bought by and shipped to a Trek dealer.

Would you go to a Toyota dealer to buy parts for a Ford?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sheesleev wrote:
Devlin wrote:
sheesleev wrote:

John

please, direct me to a post somewhere, anywhere, that tells me this is a problem with Trek. if you had any reading comprehension, you would have noticed my saying Fuck me for ever buying Trek. -- for those of you who are really slow, that means, Fuck me for buying Trek. pretty fucking stupid move, and a warning to anyone who considers Trek. -- not only will you be fucked, you have good old fuck head John trolling you and is also the asshole who drafts during races and hangs out in the left lane.

How about your subject line? You seem fairly certain it is an issue with Trek and their "policies"

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frustrating for sure.... and for that I sympathies and agree a lot more could be done by Trek to make life easier for users....
Also some professionalism and honesty from LBS who are meant to value add in the supply chain is sorely needed... there are are great and sadly so many hopeless examples...
If its any consolation, you are in the US with domestic support which those of us in more far flung corners of the world could only wish for... that shite LBS is sometimes your only choice....

Playing devils advocate... a history of ill informed and clueless owners, spannering their own bikes with bad results then jumping on the legal band wagon has forced companies to "lock down" who can do do what work.. at least try too.. Most companies don't do this for their own benefit, other than protecting themselves from idiots.. of which the world has an unending supply... so whilst its frustrating that we are all reduced to the lowest common denominator.. it is in some ways understandable....

Good luck getting this resolved, and thanks to both you and John for the entertaining spat... heaps funny....
Quote Reply

Prev Next