Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi tomorrow morning at 6:45 Eastern [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done Andrea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi tomorrow morning at 6:45 Eastern spoiler alert! [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rooting for Gomez.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi tomorrow morning at 6:45 Eastern [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fell off the pace on the bike. On the bright side, I believe we had three out of the water in the top five which is a nice foundation.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi tomorrow morning at 6:45 Eastern [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was excited to see that gap out of the water. Gwen has shown that you can be an adult-onset biker. Cook definitely has that elusive swim/ run to be competitive. Listening to her Babbitville interview, she is just very new to the bike. Plenty of time for growth.

I hope True is okay. Any word on why she pulled out? Seems like a very different circumstance than the cramp on the big hill in Rio and she was 7th at the Grand Final, so it isn't a streak or anything.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi tomorrow morning at 6:45 Eastern [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm new to following ITU, so I don't fully understand race dynamics yet, and I don't know all the athletes yet; but what the heck happened to Rutier and Cook?
Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi tomorrow morning at 6:45 Eastern [guscrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guscrown wrote:
I'm new to following ITU, so I don't fully understand race dynamics yet, and I don't know all the athletes yet; but what the heck happened to Rutier and Cook?

Carolina Routier is a fantastic swimmer as triathletes go and leads the swim at pretty much every race. She may well have sponsors that provide a bonus for "winning the swim". Sadly Carolina's bike and run talent is no where near as great as her swim talent so she's pretty much always dropped from the bike front group early on. Summer Cook is also a very gifted/talented swimmer and is really just learning to handle her bike. She sits in so far behind the other women that she does not receive much draft and ends up needing to work extra hard after every corner to catch back up to the front bike group. She is a very talented runner and if/when her bike handling skills improve she could prove to be very competitive overall.

So on to the men's race this morning. Will the Spaniards dominate the South Africans? Will France return to glory? Without a killer bee will the field come together and make for a drag race to the finish?

Hugh

Last edited by: sciguy: Mar 4, 17 2:36
Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi tomorrow morning at 6:45 Eastern [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I picked Gomez, Mola, Murray and Schoeman in that order. We'll see soon!

-------------------
Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi tomorrow morning at 6:45 Eastern [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
I think I picked Gomez, Mola, Murray and Schoeman in that order. We'll see soon!

Mola and Murray certainly have some work to do after that swim. Will Murray pull a Stimpson today?

Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi tomorrow morning at 6:45 Eastern [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see Vincent Luis has been taking lessons from AB.

No way would the Mola and Murray pack close to the first group if the Brownlees were there. Will be interesting to see what happens here.
Last edited by: messien: Mar 4, 17 4:24
Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi today, Saturday, at 6:45 Eastern spoiler alert! [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know where to watch it? Is it only triathlonlive?

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi today, Saturday, at 6:45 Eastern spoiler alert! [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Does anyone know where to watch it? Is it only triathlonlive?

Yes

Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi today, Saturday, at 6:45 Eastern spoiler alert! [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schoeman persistently just sits at the back.
Last edited by: messien: Mar 4, 17 4:39
Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi today, Saturday, at 6:45 Eastern spoiler alert! [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impressive that Salvisberg made it to the front pack - he had to bridge the gap himself when the front group split - took a couple of laps at the back - now helping at the front - maybe sneak on to the podium? (Behind Gomez, Schoeman)

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi today, Saturday, at 6:45 Eastern spoiler alert! [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
messien wrote:
Schoeman persistently just sits at the back.

That won't endear him to the others especially if he makes the podium.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really does mean he is leeching off the effort most of the others are making to stave of Mola and Murray.
Last edited by: messien: Mar 4, 17 4:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race by Bishop after doing a good deal of work on the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gomez is class, what else can be said? Absolutely huge race for Bishop and interesting to see Alarza outrun both Murray and Mola. Good to see Luis on the podium too after risking it a bit in Rio and paying the price.
Last edited by: messien: Mar 4, 17 5:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
messien wrote:
Gomez is class, what else can be said? Absolutely huge race for Bishop and interesting to see Alarza outrun both Murray and Mola. Good to see Luis on the podium too after risking it a bit in Rio and paying the price.

In the limited coverage of the second pack it appeared that Mario and Richard were both drilling it at the front a good bit trying to bring the front group back. I didn't notice whether Alarza was doing the same. It was amazing to see Richard more than make up the ~ minute on Schoeman who sat in for the whole ride.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The podium today was made up entirely of the lead bike pack. I'm wondering how often this season we may see just that? Historically Murray and Mola have been able to run themselves on to the podium, but they made up very little time today on the run. It's either early in the season for them or the other athletes have stepped up their run prowess.

-------------------
Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi today, Saturday, at 6:45 Eastern spoiler alert! [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Historically Murray and Mola have been able to run themselves on to the podium

I just had a look at Murray's last 10 World Series results (including Rio and the test event) to analyse that. He's definitely a great runner and does put a significant amount of time into much of the field if he starts from behind on the run. But how true is it really that he can run himself on to the podium from behind?

From his last 10 results, he's podiumed 5 times.

3rd at Edmonton 2016
2nd at Abu Dhabi 2016
3rd at Chicago 2015
1st at Edmonton 2015
3rd at Rio Test Event 2015

We can immediately discount the 2015 Edmonton win as everybody came off the bike at the same time.

In the 2016 Edmonton 3rd place, it was Brownlee, Varga and Royle who came off the bike 7 seconds in front.
In the 2016 Abu Dhabi 2nd, it was just Fabian who came off the bike 12 seconds in front.
In the 2015 Chicago 3rd, it was Kanute, Salvisberg, Van der Stel and Colucci who came off 37 seconds in front.

For me the only result in his last 10 races where he's podiumed whilst running from both a significant time gap behind and against several regular top 10 runners is his 2015 3rd at the Rio test event where he made up over a minute to get third.

Then if you look at his 5th today, 4th in Cozumel, 4th in Rio I think it becomes clear that it's actually very difficult to run yourself on the podium from behind.

In fact skimming through the rest of his results to 2012 I cannot find one other instance of where he's podiumed whilst coming back from a significant time gap on the World Series (might have missed one...)
Last edited by: messien: Mar 4, 17 9:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop dispelling hype with facts :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just an FYI HS will likely be staying in hospital overnight.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi today, Saturday, at 6:45 Eastern spoiler alert! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

What happened?
Quote Reply
Re: ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi today, Saturday, at 6:45 Eastern spoiler alert! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

That's interesting. His color looked really "off" with blotchy light and dark areas. I wondered if he'd gotten a bad sunburn just before the race. If he's sick that would explain his cycling tactics and sub par run.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His words "I don't remember last lap of run".

He had elevated HR. Should be fine will have more tests done.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 4, 17 10:09
Quote Reply

Prev Next