Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Another Zipp Recall [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
lagazelle wrote:
I have both a 404 and 808 front wheel featuring the "recall hub".

I've been on to Zipp customer service in the UK but haven't heard anything yet.

My issue is that I haven't really got much time before upcoming races so I'm thinking of biting the bullet and having them rebuilt with new hubs.

I'm thinking of going with Chris King R45 hubs and Spaim CX ray bladed spokes - would this be a good solution ?

Cheers !

LG

I emailed Zipp in the US last week, asking whether the recall extended outside N America and whether it was original owners only. Had a reply on Friday saying yes to outside N Am, and no to original owners only. Second and subsequent owners are included.

Dropped the wheel off at Sigma Sport on Saturday and was told to expect a 4 week turnaround.

I too thought about self-rebuild and decided on an R45 hub. But I see now that Wheelbuilder.com lists some DT Swiss front hubs in 16h, even though DT Swiss's website lists those hubs and doesn't include a 16h option. Worth considering.

Mate that's very helpful !

I could live with 4 weeks if that's realistic.

I am the original owner but bought both sets online and not from an LBS.

I will try and email Zipp in the US then and see what happens.

Cheers,

Garreth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody know if a DT240 is rated for radial lacing in 16 hole?
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no specific knowledge of the 16h hub, but there used to be a specific DT240 hub for radial lacing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Anybody know if a DT240 is rated for radial lacing in 16 hole?
I know the direct pull 20-hole hubs are rated for radial lacing but not sure about the traditional flange with only 16-holes. Wouldn't the answer depend on rim depth as a 303 would have longer spokes, but lower deflection at the flange versus an 808 with shorter spokes but higher angles on the flange?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty certain the 16h will be Radial; I have never seen a 16 spoke cross-laced wheel in my time!

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
So what hub are they replacing it with? Anyone know?

zipp hubs...

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
stevej wrote:
So what hub are they replacing it with? Anyone know?

zipp hubs...

ya think?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looked at the pdf link and it only shows a silver hub as recall. are the black as well? looked at my front {black} and do not see the z that they reference. flange also does not look like the one in pdf. 2011/12 wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure you are looking at this pdf....

http://www.zipp.com/...tice%203_16_2016.pdf

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information! Does anyone know what the expectation is regarding glued tubular tires (from this or earlier recalls) - do we need to remove them, will they remove them...what happens if they are damaged in the process, etc?
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [pqn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think its safe to assume if you send your wheel in with tires, tubes, or a quick release, there's a good chance you won't get them back.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call Zipp to clarify on tubular tires.

I called them this morning to get an RMA with the plans of just sending my wheels to Zipp and was told that they would prefer I take them to my local SRAM or Zipp dealer so that the LBS could handle any related labor (they mentioned tires- since I have clinchers I didn't ask about tubulars) and packaging costs and then they would deal with the dealer to reimbursement for those costs.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick replies - I plan on heading to my LBS this week and it is great to have this information. Much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pqn wrote:
Thanks for the information! Does anyone know what the expectation is regarding glued tubular tires (from this or earlier recalls) - do we need to remove them, will they remove them...what happens if they are damaged in the process, etc?

I took mine off. 45 secs work. It has to come off to get at the spokes. If I take it off, I know where it is and that it will end up back on the wheel one day...
Last edited by: Greg66: Mar 21, 16 14:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And people complain about the generic chinese products...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
pqn wrote:

I took mine off. 45 secs work. It has to come off to get at the spokes. If I take it off, I know where it is and that it will end up back on the wheel one day...

Yep, me too. I took mine to the LBS today and they double checked to make sure it was part of the recall and are shipping it tomorrow so I peeled the tire, tube and rim tape off and took them home.

They said 2-3 days for shipping to Zipp, 5-6 business days to relace it with new hub, 2-3 days to ship it back.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [ssmith2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it is taking less than a minute to pull your tubular off, you don't have the tubular glued on correctly. Please don't tell me you are using tufo tubular tape.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

http://www.zipp.com/_media/pdfs/support/SRAM_ZIPP_V6.V7.V8_Customer_Notice%203_16_2016.pdf

• Photo 1 shows an affected version.

https://www.sram.com/sites/all/themes/sram_2011/_pdf/recalls/sram-zipp-88-consumer-notice-final.pdf

• Photo 2 shows an unaffected version.

The hubs shown in those two images look the same to me, yet one is affected and the other is unaffected. Anyone know what's up with that?!?
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [brbbiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1st link is from the new extended recall.

2nd link was from the original recall.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
If it is taking less than a minute to pull your tubular off, you don't have the tubular glued on correctly. Please don't tell me you are using tufo tubular tape.

My mistake, I didn't read the previous post close enough. Mine is clincher.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [DM67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see, damn.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [brbbiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you look on the first link, the 88v9 hub is pictured on the second page (photo 4 - all black hub). That is the one that is not recalled (yet?). It does have a different design and does not incorporate the flange ring like on the earlier versions. I had an older 404 that was replaced with a V60 last fall under warranty that Zipp provided with the 88v9 hub. So there is one version of the 88 front hub not recalled, it does look notably different from the others since the slots for the spokes are visible looking at the end of the hub.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just heard back from my shop. Zipp is going to give me a zipp 30 course wheelset as a replacement for my 101 front.

Quite a nice deal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Sent my zipp last Friday. Received today. Wow amazing service
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:
And people complain about the generic chinese products...

How many "generic chinese" products do you know where a defect has been recalled and replaced?
Quote Reply

Prev Next