Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Another Zipp Recall
Quote | Reply
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/...-some-zipp-qr-levers

Quote:
CHICAGO (BRAIN) — SRAM is recalling nearly 57,000 Zipp front hubs sold in the U.S. and Canada because a flange can fail. Separately, the company is recalling about 6,400 quick release levers because they can fail to engage in the closed position.

SRAM and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced the two recalls on Wednesday. The hub recall is an expansion of a hub recall SRAM announced last February, which involved only first edition SRAM 88 front hubs. The new recall involves later editions of the hub.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so is zipp going to replace all the hubs or complete wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I have a 2011 808 FC in Beyond Black. My front wheel had the cracked hub ring a few years ago, Zipp fedexed a ring to the LBS and they installed it. Well this spring noticed the same thing, called Zipp who took my info and told me to go to the LBS to have them send it in. 2 weeks later went to pick up the wheel. A brand new wheel. Zipp sent a new 808. I didn't complain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i actually tore up my left leg warmer when a Sram quick release worked itself open during a ride. I got out of the saddle and all the sudden the rear wheel felt like it was dragging... That was more than two years ago...
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there are going to be a lot of wheels headed back to zipp shortly and probably the longer it takes to get them in, the longer it will take to get out of the queue

al the more reason to be glad i got rid of mine last fall, i had 3 that would have been affected
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another year, another shitty Zipp hub. Don't worry. Next year they'll finally get it right.

Bullwinkle: Hey, Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat.
Rocky: Oh, Bullwinkle. That trick never works.
Bullwinkle: This time for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I have my first race of the season this weekend....

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
And I have my first race of the season this weekend....

Me too. Just checked...I'm running v9 which is UNaffected by this recall. /whew!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased one of the recalled wheels in early 2013. The hub flange failed during a June 2015 ride. I thought I had broken a spoke but once I stopped and looked, the flange failure was evident. About 1/3 of the flange just cracked and broke off. As a result, multiple spokes had been disconnected from the hub. I am not enough of an engineer to know how close the wheel came to folding up, but fortunately it did not. Anyway, perhaps this explains why Zipp gave me a new set of wheels (front and back) for free even though the warranty had expired. The failed wheel was a Zipp 101.

Scrubbie
Last edited by: scrub: Mar 16, 16 19:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the press release it states:

'SRAM is recalling nearly 57,000 Zipp front hubs sold in the U.S. and Canada because a flange can fail.'

Does that mean because I purchased mine in the UAE I am not covered?

Silly question?
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [scrub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was there any clicking noise? My 808FC front hub is making a clicking noise while under load. No noise while spinning in my hand...just under load.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [scrub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scrub wrote:
About 1/3 of the flange just cracked and broke off. As a result, multiple spokes had been disconnected from the hub.
Had that happen to the rear hub on my Zipp 303 FC a couple years back. Thought about having it repaired under warranty but opted to replace the hubs with DT Swiss 240S straight pull. Wife's front hub appears to be effected by the recall but I am in the process of swapping out her hubs for Tune Mig 45/Mag 150 hubs so not sure I will worry about this one either.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Checked my 2015 404 FC's and luckily the front hub is not affected by the recall.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [iron snorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vaild question if you ask me; I find it hard to believe the issue is contained solely in North America when you're talking 57,000 wheels. I bought mine in the UK, and will check when I get home, and with the LBS if I have any doubts.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [Dunbar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you impacted by the skewer recall?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp didn't have another 16 spoke front hub they can substitute.
Maybe they have something now, will be interesting to see what the replacement is.
I heard one guy on another forum was offered some Zipp 60's to replace his wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, like this: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=5673484#5673484

I don't remember the exact details, but I think I got charged around $150, which was low enough I wasn't super pissed, but also made me wonder why it wasn't just covered by them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they only replaced the hub in my 2010 808 after sending it in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3k wheels with 20c hubs...

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replaced the hub only as well in last recall, in 2015. Got rid of the wheel shortly after. I'm sure they'll get it right one day, I just won't be there to test it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just called SRAM. They are only replacing the hubs, nipples, and spokes.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/recalls/2016/03/16/sram-expands-zipp-front-hub-recall-and-recalls-some-zipp-qr-levers

Quote:
CHICAGO (BRAIN) — SRAM is recalling nearly 57,000 Zipp front hubs sold in the U.S. and Canada because a flange can fail. Separately, the company is recalling about 6,400 quick release levers because they can fail to engage in the closed position.

SRAM and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced the two recalls on Wednesday. The hub recall is an expansion of a hub recall SRAM announced last February, which involved only first edition SRAM 88 front hubs. The new recall involves later editions of the hub.

Thanks for posting!

Checked one of my 808FC fronts, and sure enough, one of the flange rings is cracked. Spoke with one of the SRAM guys this morning, and that ring is actually a structural part of the hub (albeit not a major one).

Wheel is being sent back via dealer today.

Ironically, this wheel was fixed as part of the first recall.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again? Again? Again? Really? Really?

Last time this happened I said "see you in a year everybody" and it hasn't even been a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a new recall, from the one a year or so ago, right? Just wondering... I have a Zipp 404 that had the recalled hub. It was replaced last fall, but I'm pretty sure with that 88 hub.... I haven't even ridden it since the change, guess I'll have to go home and check it out!
Quote Reply
Re: Another Zipp Recall [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was announced yesterday. They essentially expanded the hub recall from a year ago to include QR skewers. The hubs are over $200 and the QRs over $50. Makes one wonder what we are paying for?
Quote Reply

Prev Next