Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If ST has a moral compass this thread should get sticky'ed.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure but there is one problem,he and his cronies are misogynistic pigs.
I'm sure they will enjoy the view of the women in their tri suits.
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dammit- there always has to be something... Sigh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely disgusted.
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://bahrainrights.hopto.org/en/node/6173

Not sure if it was posted, but this link talks about the allegations of bodyguards roughing up protesters at Berlin 70.3.

Be careful out there.

Go Cyclones! In Hoc Signo Vinces. Twitter @Cise_Smash
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [CobraKai Triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CobraKai Triguy wrote:
If someone can photoshop this to apply to IM. Florida, you are my hero...

I have recently been placed in charge of garbage, do you have any that requires disposal?

When you think of garbage….think of Akeem!
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
I heard (not confirmed) that his security detail races with him. He did have one dude with his group that looked like a seasoned triathlete (the typical triathlon looking person with zero body fat, shaved legs and a visor)…perhaps american. If he has guards racing around him….that is bullshit, because that is assistance for sure. Think they would keep going if he crashed….hell no. Wouldn't this assistance be a reason for DQ, or have officials been told to leave them alone. I also heard (not confirmed) that different people in his entourage will be doing different portions of the race with him. I hope all of this rumor is false….because the next thing we will see is the Donald Trump's of the world doing these races with support crews all over…and on…the course. The spirit of covering the 140.6 alone will die.

Based on their arrival at the expo yesterday, and the completely biased treatment they received, I won't be shocked at all to see a Bahrain train led by a freaking motorbike. Where I do agree the WTC should have told these guys where to go rather than let them race, I also have to side with Dev and say when they landed in the US their passports should have been chucked at them and been told to kindly get the F out.
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious as to how many folks racing IMFL will refuse to race to protest the prince's inclusion. Or how many people will boycott further WTC events because of this.

Is anyone on here going on about how "the WTC should do something!" actually willing to do anything themselves?
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [T_rex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not up to date on how much of a POS this guy is, but I do take exception with special treatment. Can he have bodyguard officially enter the race and compete in all portions and race along with him. Yes, I think that's reasonable. But anything more than that is rediculous and will be a distraction if not a downright dangerous situation.

I find it interesting that he feels potentially safer doing a race in the US instead of Europe or Africa. Probably true. Probably less protests since few Americans know who the hell he is.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian....I don't like these guys for what they have done, but I don't see where a US based business should get sucked into international politics when clearly your government in Washington has decided to grant them a tourist Visa. The big problem is your government granting these guys the right to even enter the US. Now WTC gets sucked into the mess. If WTC is making special provisions to accomodate these guys (entourage etc), then as an athlete, I have a beef with this for sure, but I'd like our sport to be about athletics once our governments and international bodies have allowed these guys free access. It's not really the job of WTC.

There are a lot of bad things happening in the world, in the US and in my home in Canada by international bad guys and by local bad guys. Where does WTC draw the line? Whenever someone shouts that a bad guy is doing their event? I am sure out of the 2500 folks doing IM Florida (or any IM), people have done things that have transgressed the law or not passed our moral standards.

Also keep in mind that there are a ton of US based businesses doing lots of good revenue exporting to/doing business in Bahrain. Why does WTC have to get singled out from all those other companies.

Now if WTC decided to step up and do something and ban these guys from their "races", then although they are providing a moral high ground, I think it is a slippery slope or which bad guys to let in versus not let in. Banning Lance is fine because he did bad things in the sporting arena, and WTC should really be concerned with sport, not international politics (although in a perfect world we'd like them to be coupled to our advantage, but if you had any friends that missed their dreams due to the Moscow Olympic boycott, you know the flip side of using sporting participation to make political statements...and that was done by government....not a totally privately held company).

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bib #'s 1253 and 1254 for these 2 scumballs.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
I heard (not confirmed) that his security detail races with him. He did have one dude with his group that looked like a seasoned triathlete (the typical triathlon looking person with zero body fat, shaved legs and a visor)…perhaps american. If he has guards racing around him….that is bullshit, because that is assistance for sure. Think they would keep going if he crashed….hell no. Wouldn't this assistance be a reason for DQ, or have officials been told to leave them alone. I also heard (not confirmed) that different people in his entourage will be doing different portions of the race with him. I hope all of this rumor is false….because the next thing we will see is the Donald Trump's of the world doing these races with support crews all over…and on…the course. The spirit of covering the 140.6 alone will die.

Not a DQ if those who help are also racing. It's "outside" assistance that gets a DQ.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, have you read the allegations?

The brothers are specifically known for their torture of pro-democracy athletes. One of the articles that someone posted cited one of the brother's twitter accounts from a while back, where he stated that he though pro-democracy athletes should spend the rest of their life in jail.

Those are horrible actions, in the world of "sports." There are also allegations about their handlers having conflicts with protestors in Berlin at the 70.3 IM there (see one of my earlier posts).

Don't see how this doesn't qualify.

These guys are in my AG (no wonder I couldn't find them on athlinks!), so in the chance I see them, I'll be sure to offer them some American spirit.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The big problem is your government granting these guys the right to even enter the US.
  • Agree w/ you 1000%, but given the fact that they're already here, there are things that can be done to show them they're not welcome.

Where does WTC draw the line?
  • You or me or WTC draws the line, wherever they're moral compass sits. Apparently yours & mine are different. If these (2) princes walked into the PBN store AND I knew what they did...I would not-so-kindly show them the door. What I wouldn't do is pose for a picture w/ them & then tweet it out to our followers. Conversely, WTC not only accommodates them, but sees it as a photo op & tweets that photo w/ their CEO. If a rapist, murderer, etc... walked through our doors, I'd do the same.

Also keep in mind that there are a ton of US based businesses doing lots of good revenue exporting to/doing business in Bahrain. Why does WTC have to get singled out from all those other companies.
  • Because I am involved (both personally & professionally) with the sport of triathlon & like it or not, Ironman is the biggest fish in our pond. Therefore, where they do something as egregious as embrace human rights criminals at one of their premier US-based events, I also have the right to call them out on it.

Of course I don't expect WTC to police their entry lists....no more than I would expect me/PBN to be aware that someone who orders from us is a convicted murderer, BUT...if it's brought to their attention & they still proceed in such a manner, THAT is what I find repulsive.

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:

How so? As much as I love this country, we aren't exactly a shining example of morality. Our government and many of the large corporations here have been behind bigger atrocities.

Then again we love a good scapegoat.

The only outrage should be from this idiot receiving assistance/pacing throughout the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also remember the US 5th Fleet (Central Command) is based in Bahrain so it would not be prudent of the government to block his travels. That would make for some messy politics even though I agree this guy is a scum bag.
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oceanlife wrote:
travis_lt wrote:

How so? As much as I love this country, we aren't exactly a shining example of morality. Our government and many of the large corporations here have been behind bigger atrocities.

Then again we love a good scapegoat.

The only outrage should be from this idiot receiving assistance/pacing throughout the race.

Personal and corporate responsibility is apparently a foreign concept to you.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrianPBN wrote:
The big problem is your government granting these guys the right to even enter the US.
  • Agree w/ you 1000%, but given the fact that they're already here, there are things that can be done to show them they're not welcome.

Where does WTC draw the line?
  • You or me or WTC draws the line, wherever they're moral compass sits. Apparently yours & mine are different. If these (2) princes walked into the PBN store AND I knew what they did...I would not-so-kindly show them the door. What I wouldn't do is pose for a picture w/ them & then tweet it out to our followers. Conversely, WTC not only accommodates them, but sees it as a photo op & tweets that photo w/ their CEO. If a rapist, murderer, etc... walked through our doors, I'd do the same.

• Because I am involved (both personally & professionally) with the sport of triathlon & like it or not, Ironman is the biggest fish in our pond. Therefore, where they do something as egregious as embrace human rights criminals at one of their premier US-based events, I also have the right to call them out on it.

Of course I don't expect WTC to police their entry lists....no more than I would expect me/PBN to be aware that someone who orders from us is a convicted murderer, BUT...if it's brought to their attention & they still proceed in such a manner, THAT is what I find repulsive.

---

My issue is largely with Washington DC officials putting WTC in this position in he first place. Yes, WTC should not be posting pictures and tweeting, just like your business or my business should not be doing so in the event that we find out after they have paid that international rogues bought our services. I am sure these guys are also riding non Bahraini bike and wetsuits and those companies did not realize they sold to rogues. Again, the issue is largely one of Washington letting this happen in the first place. Now WTC folks don't need to promote that these guys got into their race, nor give them special treatment. Do they need to kick them out of IMFLA? Well, it would just be better if the US government did that, not WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:
Personal and corporate responsibility is apparently a foreign concept to you.

Really? So corporations don't operate for personal gains. Oh ok.
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [Yellowdoggs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He bought 6 bikes right in front of me. Made my purchase of a co2 canister seem sort of small, they were all high end, which made me think someone might be riding with him.
Mitch
Last edited by: Fr.Tri: Oct 31, 13 6:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you more than those who are demanding that these two get booted from the event. After watching the "Arab Spring" devolve into a clear case of Islamic power grabs, the politics behind what happened in Bahrain is much more complicated than most Americans are capable of understanding. Also, everyone is treating the linked letter like it was written in a court of law, which it was not. One of the tools used by insurrectionists is misinformation and lies told to media who are too stupid to check on the validity of the information. Is this one of those cases? I don't know, but I bet no one else in this forum knows either. For that matter, many of the people who lived through the Arab Spring episodes did not realize who was behind those changes and what they were all about until it was too late, and they surplanted one dictator for another worse than the first.
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [Yellowdoggs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The average annual income of people participating in Ironman races just got higher by a few zeros. When it is reported on how much we make on average, women will go crazy over single Ironman triathletes.

Yay, go TEAM! :)

Quote | Reply
boilersmack wrote:
Also remember the US 5th Fleet (Central Command) is based in Bahrain so it would not be prudent of the government to block his travels. That .

First thing I thought of as well. This is one of the USs Allies. Seems increasingly often, being a good American, means having zero moral compass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I'm just wondering why WTC needs to decide morally or not who gets to race or not. If these are bad guys for ordering torture, should the US government not do the job to keep them out of Florida? Why does Messick's crew need to get involved. These guys Messick's services is no different than them renting a room at the Hilton in Florida (or wherever in the US they want to spend money). Washington DC should be deciding if these guys get a tourist or diplomatic Visa to the US. Once they are inside, they are entitled to whatever other tourist get to do, no matter how bad they are at home. WTC should not get involved in this mess. The princes are just buyers of an entry just like they are buyers of rooms at a local hotel.

By the way, I'm not defending their torture, I'm just saying that US buinesses like WTC should not have to decide if these guys are worthy of buying their services. That's up to the US government to decide first.

Dev

Corporate social responsibility is a big deal to many companies and they take on a lot of costs that they are not legally required to. WTC clearly is not one of those companies.
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
If they mention these folks at the athlete dinner, please join me in booing them. .
[/quote]
Maybe if they get presented at the athletes dinner, Starky can have a good chat to them about imprisonment and human rights?
Quote Reply

Prev Next