Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not surprised by this at all...this is what companies do that care about nothing other than boosting revenue. WTC caters to the super rich participants and the super rich participants spend a bucket load of cash on swag...prepare to be pissed about their treatment.

P.S. I LOVE the "You got chicked" charge...whether it would be right or wrong...it would be hilarious.
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
Oh the world we live in. They can race, but Lance can't run in a sanctioned 5k.

If I see them on the course, I will exercise my free speech rights and do my best to make them feel unwelcome. I urge others to do the same. If they mention these folks at the athlete dinner, please join me in booing them.

quote NeverEnough]The world human rights league tried to get WTC to not allow him to race. Google Bahrain ironman Florida. Apparently this is one bad dude.

x10,000!!!

I have been following-up on this since I heard about it last week & am absolutely FLOORED...

#1 That WTC has allowed them to race

#2 That they're freaking proud of it, going as far as tweeting a photo this morning: https://twitter.com/...s/395579021049991169

What planet are we on that these individuals are embraced by the head-of-state of the most powerful organization in our sport?

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, their 747 is too big for Panama City airport. They had to fly into Pensacola.

NeverEnough wrote:
I will say I noticed them getting special treatment today....which I think is bullshit. Everyone complains about the wtc.....I do not have a reason to dislike them....I love their events. If they call these guys out at the banquet, that would be very disappointing. If they are going to call someone out, how about a wounded veteran or a former obese person who is going to do an ironman. I heard that they did another event and there were protestors there.....the shiek's guards shut them up. Should get interesting.

They walked out of the expo with bags and bags of stuff and 3 QR's with Di2 and zipp wheels. Their private 747 is at the Panama City beach airport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
I will say I noticed them getting special treatment today....which I think is bullshit. Everyone complains about the wtc.....I do not have a reason to dislike them....I love their events. If they call these guys out at the banquet, that would be very disappointing. If they are going to call someone out, how about a wounded veteran or a former obese person who is going to do an ironman. I heard that they did another event and there were protestors there.....the shiek's guards shut them up. Should get interesting.

I would be interested in seeing how his guards go about shutting up protesters in FL. It's not like they have any authority, moral or legal here and they cant just disappear them to an arid dungeon like they would at home.

If his entourage gets on the course that's absolute bullshit. Joe blow and his gorilla=dq, but this asshole gets his very own draft pack. Seems fair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
Oh the world we live in. They can race, but Lance can't run in a sanctioned 5k.

If I see them on the course, I will exercise my free speech rights and do my best to make them feel unwelcome. I urge others to do the same. If they mention these folks at the athlete dinner, please join me in booing them.

quote NeverEnough]The world human rights league tried to get WTC to not allow him to race. Google Bahrain ironman Florida. Apparently this is one bad dude.
[/quote]
I think it's time for the Slowtwitch "like" button for posts .
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
I would be interested in seeing how his guards go about shutting up protesters in FL.

There are a few things the native Floridian enjoys. Guns, Jesus, and hating brown people. I don't think the protestors need to worry.
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard (not confirmed) that his security detail races with him. He did have one dude with his group that looked like a seasoned triathlete (the typical triathlon looking person with zero body fat, shaved legs and a visor)…perhaps american. If he has guards racing around him….that is bullshit, because that is assistance for sure. Think they would keep going if he crashed….hell no. Wouldn't this assistance be a reason for DQ, or have officials been told to leave them alone. I also heard (not confirmed) that different people in his entourage will be doing different portions of the race with him. I hope all of this rumor is false….because the next thing we will see is the Donald Trump's of the world doing these races with support crews all over…and on…the course. The spirit of covering the 140.6 alone will die.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are their Ironman Berlin 70.3 results.

http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz2jGV1xt8C
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
I heard (not confirmed) that his security detail races with him. He did have one dude with his group that looked like a seasoned triathlete (the typical triathlon looking person with zero body fat, shaved legs and a visor)…perhaps american. If he has guards racing around him….that is bullshit, because that is assistance for sure. Think they would keep going if he crashed….hell no. Wouldn't this assistance be a reason for DQ, or have officials been told to leave them alone. I also heard (not confirmed) that different people in his entourage will be doing different portions of the race with him. I hope all of this rumor is false….because the next thing we will see is the Donald Trump's of the world doing these races with support crews all over…and on…the course. The spirit of covering the 140.6 alone will die.

Call me crazy, but when you torture & electrocute people, I would think that's a decent enough reason for a DQ...but hey, that's just me...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...f=world&ir=World

---

Brian Shea
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for those not up-to-date on the allegations, here's a video from huffpo

Eta: same link as Brian, my bad.

----
@adamwfurlong
Last edited by: afurlong: Oct 30, 13 20:54
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and here's a blurb regarding protestors at IM Berlin:

Quote:
Beyond the efforts raised to ban the royals from the Olympics in London, Bahraini and international human rights advocates protested the princes’ involvement in the IRONMAN Berlin triathlon, where the two princes and their security services were involved in threatening and physically assaulting protesters.

I'm curious - if that last allegation is true, why would WTC allow them to race again?

Source

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
Oh, and here's a blurb regarding protestors at IM Berlin:

Quote:
Beyond the efforts raised to ban the royals from the Olympics in London, Bahraini and international human rights advocates protested the princes’ involvement in the IRONMAN Berlin triathlon, where the two princes and their security services were involved in threatening and physically assaulting protesters.

I'm curious - if that last allegation is true, why would WTC allow them to race again?

Source

I imagine that its all about the Benjamins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:

Oh c'mon, the WTC will let anyone race if it benefits the bottom line. They haven't given themselves a reputation for ethical behaviour.
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If everyone here feels so strongly about this, please go to IMFL and protest instead of commenting on a board that WTC clearly dgaf about.

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
3Dealz wrote:
What kind of bike does he have?
Also, I think he should get disqualified if he is going to have his entourage with him during the race. That's like having a gorilla pacing you.

If he gets DQ'd he can just buy WTC and have himself reinstated.

Ding Ding....we have a buyer to take WTC off the hands of Providence Equity. It is not like WTC is a Barclay's Premier Leage Football club and some Russian Billionaire or Middle Eastern Oil Tycoon is going to buy up WTC....this might be the closest thing we have in our sport. Michael Dell may have been a good one at one point.
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [CobraKai Triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CobraKai Triguy wrote:
If everyone here feels so strongly about this, please go to IMFL and protest instead of commenting on a board that WTC clearly dgaf about.

Go to Florida? I don't know if I feel that strongly about anything to get me to visit Florida.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just wondering why WTC needs to decide morally or not who gets to race or not. If these are bad guys for ordering torture, should the US government not do the job to keep them out of Florida? Why does Messick's crew need to get involved. These guys Messick's services is no different than them renting a room at the Hilton in Florida (or wherever in the US they want to spend money). Washington DC should be deciding if these guys get a tourist or diplomatic Visa to the US. Once they are inside, they are entitled to whatever other tourist get to do, no matter how bad they are at home. WTC should not get involved in this mess. The princes are just buyers of an entry just like they are buyers of rooms at a local hotel.

By the way, I'm not defending their torture, I'm just saying that US buinesses like WTC should not have to decide if these guys are worthy of buying their services. That's up to the US government to decide first.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny, this is how The Bahraini News Agency reports it:

http://www.bna.bh/portal/en/news/586216

02 : 43 PM - 30/10/2013
Manama: Oct. 30 – (BNA) The Bahraini IronMan Team, led by His Highness Shaikh Nasser bin Hamad Al Khalifa with participation of His Highness Shaikh Khalid bin Hamad Al Khalifa, entered final stages of serious training ahead of the Florida IronMan Championship2013. The Bahraini team members doubled their efforts through intensive training in swimming, jogging and cycling.

His Highness Shaikh Khalid bin Hamad Al Khalifa praised the level of the team's physical stamina, wishing the team great success in the championship. His Highness said that the team will continue its daily routine training until Friday. Shaikh Saqr bin Salman Al Khalifa said that all team members are fully prepared and ready to participate in the championship.

Team member Abdul-Mohsen Al-Qossaibi, praised the positive, good training the team have had, benefitting from the leadership of His Highness Shaikh Nasser bin Hamad Al Khalifa and His Highness Shaikh Khalid bin Hamad Al Khalifa and intensive training which helped the team to maintain high physical stamina so as to translate such stamina into practical reality during the championship and for the team to gain a firm footstep at this major international sports gathering. (IY)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I'm just wondering why WTC needs to decide morally or not who gets to race or not. If these are bad guys for ordering torture, should the US government not do the job to keep them out of Florida? Why does Messick's crew need to get involved. These guys Messick's services is no different than them renting a room at the Hilton in Florida (or wherever in the US they want to spend money). Washington DC should be deciding if these guys get a tourist or diplomatic Visa to the US. Once they are inside, they are entitled to whatever other tourist get to do, no matter how bad they are at home. WTC should not get involved in this mess. The princes are just buyers of an entry just like they are buyers of rooms at a local hotel.

By the way, I'm not defending their torture, I'm just saying that US buinesses like WTC should not have to decide if these guys are worthy of buying their services. That's up to the US government to decide first.

Do you also agree that they should be able to race as a team with bodyguards on course etc?

Personally, i think they government should have prevented them from coming to the US, but since they didn't the WTC has an obligation to all of the other athletes to ensure their race day is fair and these guys do not interefere! i believe all of the rules should apply the same to each and everyone.

My comments assume that what I have read here on ST are true and they willmhave an etourage around them. if so, i then fault the WTC....
Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And from the royal website.
http://www.nasseralkhalifa.bh/english/news139.asp

News

A PROUD MOMENT
THE Bahrain athletics team, led by Shaikh Nasser bin Hamad Al Khalifa and Shaikh Khalid bin Hamad Al Khalifa, made their nation proud after achieving honourable results at the 2013 Ironman 70.3 triathlon event in Berlin, in Germany.
Shaikh Nasser, the Supreme Council for Youth and Sports chairman and Bahrain Olympic Committee president, was able to complete the 25-27 age category of this challenging event in 27th place in five hours, six minutes and 27 seconds.
On his part, Supreme Council first vice-chairman and Bahrain Athletics Association president Shaikh Khalid also had a great finish yesterday after coming 25th in the 18-25 category in a total time of 6:04:52.
Spaniard Mikel Calahorra, who was part of the Bahrain team as per an invitation from Shaikh Nasser, was able to finish the 25-29 division in third place and was 33rd overall to seal his berth in the next World Championship in Las Vegas in September.
Several other athletes spearheaded Bahrain yesterday, most of whom made history for themselves by successfully passing all the championship stages.
They were Shaikh Salman bin Saqer Al Khalifa (5:56:28), Mohammed Al Qais (5:25:15), Tareq Ameen (5:44:47), Ahmed Al Busamait (6:04:51), Ahmed Al Haj (5:41:02), Abdulmohsin Al Qusaibi (6:10:43), Tareq Al Qusaibi (6:37:37), Abdulla Al Shamlan (7:04:08), Hamad Al Maraisi and UAE's Ahmed Al Hai.
Some of the most physically fit athletes in the world are converging on the German capital for one of the most gruelling tests in sports, which covered 113 kilometres in total and featured three different types of contests.
The Ironman 70.3 is a series of events from August 2012 to August 2013, culminating in the world championship in Henderson, in Nevada. Racers have to pick up points in events like the Ironman Berlin in order to qualify for the world championship.
Berlin's Ironman event got underway with a 1.9km swim in river, which was followed by a 90km cycle race and concluded with a 21.1km run.
The Bahraini athletes shared the moment of joy and glory as they all showed physical strength and fitness with determination and composure to successfully complete the three stages of the competition.
The competition began in the water, as the Bahrain representatives traveled 1.9 km in the river Spree. Once they swimmers reached the Elsenbrźcke, they had to come back.
On their return, the Bahrainis swam against the current to make things even more difficult. They also had only an hour and 10 minutes to complete the swim portion.
Ride
From there, it was time for them to exchange swim caps for bike helmets as they had to ride 90 km through Berlin.
The Bahrain riders had to bike to and through the Tempelhof Airport, which was decommissioned in 2008. Luckily, Shaikh Nasser and Shaikh Khalid fellows only had to deal with slight inclines.
Late on, the competitors remained at the airport to finish off a 21.1 km run, the final portion of the Ironman. The Bahrainis had to run three laps at the airfield to complete the race.
The event was won by host country's Michael Raelert, the back-to-back Ironman world champion in 2009 and 2010, who lived up to his billings to finish the event on top with a total time of three hours, 46 minutes and 56 seconds.
Michael Gohner, also of Germany, came second in 3:51:30, followed by compatriot Per Bittner (3:52:14) in third place.
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [Yellowdoggs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The title of the thread should be change to "Suspected murderer welcomed by WTC".

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Dev

I could not disagree more Dev. It is THAT mentality ("who am I to say what's right or wrong....it's not my problem"), is why criminals like this can throw their $$ around the world without a care in the world.

WTC is in a position to bring attention to what's going on in Bahrain & they're choosing to not only turn a blind eye, but glorify them by tweeting a photo of the noble prince & their CEO. If that doesn't bother you, then there's really no need for further discussion as you & I have completely different moral barometers.

---

Brian Shea
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a fucking embarrassment.
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [Yellowdoggs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait... What is the problem? A prince? Is he cute and single? (Pink- just in case that was not clear)
Last edited by: Running mom: Oct 31, 13 5:09
Quote Reply
Re: Prince of Bahrain doing IMFL [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
What a fucking embarrassment.

x10

For those of you who haven't read the letter sent by the ADHRB (Americans for Democracy & Human Rights in Bahrain) to WTC CEO, Andy Messick, we've posted it here:

https://www.facebook.com/...161023333&type=1

---

Brian Shea
Quote Reply

Prev Next