Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really happy with them for a couple of reasons. First, I like the simple adjust-ability of the bar, probably the easiest bar I've had. Second, it is really solid and comfy. And, third, I enjoy having my brakes right by my hands while in the TT position, especially with the amount of traffic that was on the race course. Not to mention Frank is incredibly responsive and a really decent human being.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EITS Sprint Tri

1) 205W (Strava est.)
2) 21.6 MPH
3) 11.3
4) 178, 5'6"
5) Stock 2017 Felt IA16, stock wheels, tubes and tires.
6) No excuses, besides the fact that I weight a lot more than your average guy (AKA I'm fat). I need to work in my handling to not lose so much time/power on the turns.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First post on the forum! I'm looking to do my first competitive race, Olympic tri in Houston, in October. This is my fourth bike ride from having not biked in years. Prior to this I have never ridden a road bike (mtb only) and never used aero bars. It's been interesting to say the least. Not an official TT, but my Samsung health data is good enough for me.

1) Average watts -- not that advanced to have that tech.
2) Average speed in MPH -- 15.3 (32.5 max down hill)
3) Distance -- 23.1
4) Rider weight -- 180
5) Describe bike and wheels -- haha, so don't delete my account over this... riding a schwinn volare 1200 700c 21 speed, stock except for a profile design aero bars, a sweet water bottle holder w/ tire pump, cell phone holder and under saddle storage (extra tube & lights). Got the bike on sale for $180.
6) Misc notes-- course was a very hilly loop, I live in a sort of bowl and have to climb out. Lowest elevation was 740, highest 1104. Some of the climbs were pretty good, off the saddle only to maintain 9mph. Only able to be in aero less than half the time due to the constant climbs. Seems like I can't find more than 300 yards of level, but when I can I maintain between 20-25mph.

So, the swim, not worried about that. I'm not a 'swimmer ' but been training that pretty hard and been doing it allot. Running I hate, but it's fine, generally able to maintain a 8 min mile for most distances 3-6 miles (I need to do some bricks). The bike is what is worrying me. Except a bridge or two the course in doing in October is pretty much all level. Is my current hilly course going to hurt me in a level course? Not much I can do about getting to a level area. Other than getting a better bike, is there any suggestions? I'm only able to really do a bike on the weekends.

I'm looking at the average 30-34 age group Olympic times and its 3:06, I'm 34a. My goal would be to finish in 3:00. My ultimate goal is to do a full ironman in fall 2019, and well just finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70.3 WC's in P.E.

1. 227/246NP
2. 23.4 mph
3. 55.9 miles
4. 71.6 kg
5. Dimond Brilliant, HED Jet 9 and Disc, Cont Force/Attack tires w/ latex, LG P-09 Helmet
6. VI is high at 1.08, but overall I felt I had solid effort, ran a 1:18 off the bike. Still haven't shaved my legs

2024: IM Hamburg
Last edited by: xcrogers: Sep 16, 18 3:55
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First race in 12 months due to back issues. Got my first power meter (Vector 3) in June

Littlefoot Sprint, Lakewood CO. 4th fastest bike split on the day, hilly course, not much flat.

1. 210 NP
2. 21.7 mph
3. 9 miles
4. 75 kg

5. 2009 Scott Plasma 2 LTD, Zipp Sub-9 and 808, Conti Attack upfront Conti GP 4000s in the rear w/latex

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

1) 244 NP: 249
2) 26.83 mph
3) 40K
4) 72kg
5) P3C
6) When your NP is 5 watts higher than your AP on a flattish, windless course, you know you screwed up your pacing. 262 watts out; 222 watts back

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nor Cal Elite District TT Championship. 2nd place (38:01). Winner in 37:40.

1) 311 NP: 314
2) 29.2 mph
3) 18.5 mi
4) 70kg
5) Specialized Shiv
6) I'm in the middle of preparing for master's track worlds and using my Shiv as a pursuit/team pursuit bike. I didn't want to build it back up for a road TT, just to strip it right back down the next day. Since the course was a pure drag strip, flat, out and back course I just threw on the front brake and went with a 53x14 fixed gear aiming for about 100 rpm. There was a bit of a headwind out, tailwind back, but not too bad.

I averaged 322W out @ 95 rpm and 299W back @ 104 rpm. The gear choice was about perfect, though I wouldn't have minded a 54x14 on the way back. In retrospect I wonder if that might have been a good choice... Maybe 90 rpm out? I would have been better able to keep the power on for the return with the 54. Depends on what the outbound leg might have cost me though...

Would have won my age group (55-59) by 2:14 had I done it, but I wanted to reach for the brass ring in the elites. Lost that by 21 seconds. My team mate Dan Bryant (3rd at master's worlds TT) had the fastest time of the day in the 45-49 with a 38:36.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1843433430

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 221w - estimated from Strava as I don't have a powermeter.
2) 22mph
3) 24.6 miles
4) 184 pounds
5) Quintana Roo prThree with 50mil wheels. Wearing normal road helmet.
6) Nothing to add really. Course was good, no complaints.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Bundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which race are coming down for - Kemah?
To be honest any race that you are doing in Houston is going to be basically flat - we consider bridges and overpasses our hills here, oh and wind - but that shouldn't be a negative for you. You will find that you won't get any breaks from pedaling such as you currently get when going downhill, but you also won't get those harder uphill efforts. Don't start out too hard, you can always increase your effort on the way back after the turnaround (if Kemah), but be aware of wind direction as it can greatly alter your perception of effort, especially if you are using speed as the measure of your effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First time posting after lurking for years... I have been watching this thread leading up to my first 70.3 (Harvest Moon 70.3) and decided to share

1) 187W average (200W NP)
2) 21.3 mph
3) 56 miles/90km
4) 190 lbs and 6'1"
5) Cervelo P2 with standard 3T cockpit, dual mounted behind-the-saddle bottles and HED Jet6 wheels (front and back) with Conti GP4s (23 mm front and 25 mm back). Power measured from Assioma Duo pedals. No aero helmet as it was a warm day (got up to 90F+) and I wanted to ensure I had plenty of ventilation on the ride.
6) No major excuses other than my coach wanted me to go easy on the watts as this was my first 70.3 race (to ensure I had plenty left for the run). Goal was 210 watts (NP -- around 80% of FTP) and I came in under that which means I went a bit too easy on the few climbs. Also... my aero position could use a good deal of tweaking... but that will have to come in the off-season (sorry no photo).

In search of the righteous life... we all fall down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) 170W / 182NP
2) 21.5MPH
3) 54.64 miles
4) 153lbs
5) Stock Blue Triad AL, except changing out bars for Profile Design T4 and Crankset to 52/36 105 5800
6) Measured with 4iiii left crank arm. Total elevation gain just shy of 2000' - 2 loop course.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) AP 236 NP 244 (2 laps with 11 90 turns & 3 U turns per lap) pretty stoked with the small difference between AP/NP given all the turns
2) 24.5
3) I got 24.4x
4) fIDK haven't weighed myself recently, call it 71.8kg or 158
5) Scott Plasma 3, Profile Aeria Ultimate aerobars Zipp 808, Hed powertap disc , Vittoria Corsca Speed 23mm front/25mm back, Giro Aerohead
6) My biceps are too big?
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.

scroll to the bottom of the page

https://www.athlinks.com/...554429&et_attr1=

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Sep 17, 18 17:08
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, kemah is the one. Looks pretty fun, especially the swim from the boat. Do you race this one?
Thank you for the info and response. Not looking forward to the wind since I always seem to find it in my face.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Bundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have raced Kemah a bunch of times but this will be the first year racing’s it in October for me - the race used to be in April but was moved last year due to rain/pollution and they have kept it in this new October date.

The jump from the boat makes it interesting and then a straight swim back to the shore - crap shoot as to the water conditions on the day, most likely wetsuit legal given the bay waters but could go either way. Getting on the boat does make the morning an even earlier start as it takes a while to get out to the start point but it’s all pretty relaxed on the boats - they have typically had 2 boats to ferry out the numbers of athletes.

This is a really well run event - this team put a good event on and you should have a good experience. There will be a bunch of different capabilities out there on the course so make sure you ride safe and be aware of riders around you as depending on your swim time there are riders going 25 mph vs your 15 - and with the sprint tri event the same time make sure you ride the full course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts
346W (as measured my Favero Assioma Duo via Polar V800)
NP was 349

2) Average speed in MPH
44.1 km/h = 27.4 mph

3) Distance
47.3 km = 29.4 mi

4) Rider weight
87kg = 191.8 lbs

5) Describe bike and wheels
Specialized Transition, Flo Disc+90, BTA Bottle, TriRig Brakes, Bell Javelin Helmet

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nor Cal Masters M50-54 District TT Championship 1st place (40:19)

1) 279W NP=280W
2) 27.7mph
3) 30k/18.6mi
4) 175lbs
5) Trek Speed Concept 9
6) Same race as nslckevin above: flat course with a net headwind (9.6mi headwind out, 9.0mi tailwind back).

(I also did the IMSC70.3 bike leg last week as part of a relay team, with a 2:11 bike split, but my power meter battery died in transition so no data to report. Doh!)

Position photo at this link.
Last edited by: lanierb: Sep 18, 18 11:21
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lake Placid 70.3 - 1st Overall (4:30)

1) AP - 291 W NP - 302 W
2) 22.9 mph
3) 55.8 miles
4) ~180
5) QR PR6, Flo Front 60, Rear Disc
6) I am an aero brick probably due to my swimmer shoulders and huge noggin. On fast courses CdA is at least 0.26 and on hillier courses such as this, nearing 0.3. In terms of things to whine about, I stopped for 15 seconds right out of T1 because I couldn't get my foot in my shoe (due to shoe covers), and at mile 53 I dropped a chain which mean a dead stop for about 1 minute.
7) See pics below for how much of an aero brick I am. I need help.

Strava
Last edited by: sch340: Sep 18, 18 11:32
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:

Great ride! Always a tough field. Your first victory at State? What tires are you running? Hope it's ok that I post your photo here.

Last edited by: rruff: Sep 18, 18 13:47
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
See pics below for how much of an aero brick I am. I need help.

3rd degree AC separation on both shoulders would help a lot.... ;)

I have 3rd degree on the left only, makes me a little lopsided.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
lanierb wrote:

Great ride! Always a tough field. Your first victory at State? What tires are you running? Hope it's ok that I post your photo here.

Thanks! I couldn't figure out how to post the photo directly. Yeah, it's my first bear jersey! I've been running Corsa Speeds (23) the last two years and I'm super happy with them.
Last edited by: lanierb: Sep 18, 18 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Lake Placid 70.3 - 1st Overall (4:30)

1) AP - 291 W NP - 302 W
2) 22.9 mph
3) 55.8 miles
4) ~180
5) QR PR6, Flo Front 60, Rear Disc
6) I am an aero brick probably due to my swimmer shoulders and huge noggin. On fast courses CdA is at least 0.26 and on hillier courses such as this, nearing 0.3. In terms of things to whine about, I stopped for 15 seconds right out of T1 because I couldn't get my foot in my shoe (due to shoe covers), and at mile 53 I dropped a chain which mean a dead stop for about 1 minute.
7) See pics below for how much of an aero brick I am. I need help.

That was me not so long ago. I would start by getting your elbows close together, and then finding where your armpads have to be to (1) make that comfortable and (2) make it so hunching your shoulders is comfortable. The idea is to pull them in and up toward your ears so they become smaller. See my photo above. I have a 44" chest and big shoulders, but I hunch them pretty well now.
Last edited by: lanierb: Sep 18, 18 13:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very fast on those watts at low elevation and considering the wind. You've done well getting your aero optimized. That is something I intend to spend more time and $$$ on in the coming year. BTW, where are these damn aerosticks?

In races this year, I used the CS23 on the rear and a 20mm SS on the front, but the CS23 on the front would likely be better at low yaw.

Right click on image, "copy image location" to get the url, then paste in here with a at the back. Works on pretty much all forums. I'm always jacking and reposting images I find online ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Very fast on those watts at low elevation and considering the wind. You've done well getting your aero optimized. That is something I intend to spend more time and $$$ on in the coming year. BTW, where are these damn aerosticks?
Thanks! I've field tested a *ton*. Anyone who thinks aero speed is "free" doesn't know how much work goes into it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again dude. Don't mean to hijack the thread. Thankfully I'm heading to east texas soon for work and can take my bike so I will see what I can maintain on a more level course. For the wet suit, I should probably look into that. October in texas is either hot or cold depending on the day. My wife keeps seeing dollars rack up but she is supportive thankfully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70.3 Atlantic City

1. 294 NP, 288 AP
2. 25.9 mph
3. 56.0 miles
4. 6', 160 lbs
5. Scott Plasma 5, Zipp 808 Super-9 disc combo
6. The three-looped course was super crowded which made maneuvering around people difficult. Also, the bike leg was over a mile long (the put the extra distance in the transition time) which cost me going sub-4....damn.
Quote Reply

Prev Next