Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

1) 206 avg, 223 np
2) Average speed 23.4
3) Distance 56 miles
4) 162lbs.
5) Cervelo p2 zipp 404's
6) Very crowded, flat out and back.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn't windy when I rode, and it was a flat course. AP and NP were the same.

Crosswinds don't give back what they take away like direct tail/head winds do.

Crosswinds result in the least hit to your average speed on a flat course... some people claim to even experience a benefit, but I haven't. If if there are grades, then a small tailwind on the uphill parts can give a slight advantage. If it is a flat course though, any headwind/tailwind situation will slow you down... unless the tailwind is stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to know how terms are defined on the WT graph. I get CdA reductions of 5% or so with yaw, but that isn't enough to make me faster with a crosswind... because the crosswind increases the apparent wind. If they were defining terms the same way, then people would be going a *lot* faster in a crosswind with modern equipment.

We used to have a monthly L shaped TT in town where this odd aerodynamic math would play out in reality fairly often.

How could you tell?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you get a mix of cross head on the way out and cross tail on the way back, is when you go faster.

We could tell from general trends, moderate winds from certain directions were faster than low wind days, which I later found was consistent with bestbikesplit.com simulations

rruff wrote:
I'd like to know how terms are defined on the WT graph. I get CdA reductions of 5% or so with yaw, but that isn't enough to make me faster with a crosswind... because the crosswind increases the apparent wind. If they were defining terms the same way, then people would be going a *lot* faster in a crosswind with modern equipment.

We used to have a monthly L shaped TT in town where this odd aerodynamic math would play out in reality fairly often.

How could you tell?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can assure you that most of it were cross wind

In fact the course was a square so i had head, side, tail and side again

I must be aero!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [snoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer:

All times, weights and speeds are to be considered "Internet based" therefore can taken for what the reader interprets them to be

I forgot to turn on the Garmin until .5 miles into the deal.

1) Average watts - 308W; NP 308W; Max 642W
2) Average speed in MPH - 25.4
3) Distance - 8 mile (4 out and back) 56' elevation gain.
4) Rider weight - 180'ish
5) Describe bike and wheels - SHIV with 50mm Mavic's - the ones with the fairing.
6) 55 yrs old. Conti Gator Hardshell tires that I train on. Only on the bike for ~3weeks, coming off shoulder surgery in mid Feb. CdA = I'm fat. Avg Cadence 94
7) No picture. Don't want folks to have to gouge their eyes out.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you get a mix of cross head on the way out and cross tail on the way back, is when you go faster.

That doesn't make any sense to me unless something else is going on. If the wind *changes* in a favorable way you will get a benefit, or if sheltering results in a better tail than headwind. Usually wind increases in the morning, and decreases in the evening so if the orientation is right it can help.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there was a local tt course here(hilly though short) where if the wind was out of the NW I knew it would be a fast day for me. All my best times came with NW winds. course was E-W out and back. Might have been a convergence of shelter, but that was all with a HED clincher disk(stuck out more on non drive side) so when SW winds blew times were slower for me. I postulated it was due to wind either blowing against or pushing the bump out. In times of no science we make things up to fit our observations :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

I hate this chart.....it says my 2012 SC is slow :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started a new thread as I figure this could go on for a while and isn't entirely relevant to this thread.

rruff wrote:

That doesn't make any sense to me unless something else is going on. If the wind *changes* in a favorable way you will get a benefit, or if sheltering results in a better tail than headwind. Usually wind increases in the morning, and decreases in the evening so if the orientation is right it can help.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 271AP, 274 NP
2) 24.3 mph
3)56 miles, Eagleman, slight headwind going out, slight headwind coming home
4) 6' 194 lbs
5) Aluminum P3, Bontrager Aeolus D3 90mm Tubular, Bontrager XXX tires
6) Rode a very consistent race, went sub 5 hours for the race, had best ever run split (I'm a big guy and had no running experience prior to Tri's), dropped a total of one hour from my finish time the previous year

Last edited by: BBB1975: Jun 12, 14 9:56
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  1. 212 w (from Powertap)
  2. 21.2 mph (from Powertap)
  3. 56 miles
  4. 194 lbs, 6' (I know, I know...)
  5. Basically stock Felt B16, with Zipp 404 Firecrest, Powertap
  6. Eagleman 70.3, headwind on the way out into Blackwater (10-15 mph?) and a tailwind coming back in

No pics from event yet, I'll post one when I get one.
Last edited by: MikeDevenney: Jun 12, 14 9:23
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [stinkerpeter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trifactor 40KM TT

1) 168 W
2) 23.125 MPH
3) 40KM TT
4) 143 lbs (163cm)
5) Shiv Pro 14, Zipp 404 - 3T disc, conti 23mm
6) Pretty flat fast course, near perfect conditions
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts = 278W (PT) 281NPW
2) Average speed = 25,1 MPH = 40,4
KM/H
3) Distance 13,7 mls = 22 KM
4) Rider weight 174 lbs = 79KG
5) Describe bike and wheels BMC TM01 FFWD 6 + FFWD 9, Bell Javelin

3,52W/kg

Sprint triathlon

Last edited by: Finn73: Jun 18, 14 0:33
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [MikeDevenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. 220w (from vector)
2. 23.4 garmin (23.07 race website)
3. 56mi
4. 185 lbs, 6'3"
5. Giant trinity advanced sl, zipp 808, tangente tires, vittoria latex tubes.
6. Eagleman, almost perfect conditions constant wind but nothing above 10mph. 80*

Pic coming
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts AP 265 NP 266
2) Average speed in MPH 24.5
3) Distance
40km, SC State TT Championship
4) Rider weight 157
5) Describe bike and wheels 2010 Felt DA, Gray 5.0 Carbon set, schwalbe ironman tubulars, bike weight 20.5 with water
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero wanted to break an hour, still good for 1st Cat 5...cross/tail wind out, cross/head wind home, pancake flat out and back

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/520347574

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
today was another somewhat windy crosswind day for a 27K TT in IL.

went 29.1 on 326w.

had a hard time maintaining watts after a while as I am not used to 170 cranks and my 165s are on way to quarq to get checked out. so my drop was 5mm less than normal and my hip was 1cm closer to being closed off. during the week, the 170s seemed fine on short efforts, under 3min, so I "assumed" they would be fine for30k. before the halfway point I started having problems with rpms and once they dropped below 96, so did power

2nd place was 27.5mph on 365w. I told him he needs to pay more homage to the smartguys(TM) here :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race: Mary's Peak hill climb ITT in Philomath, Oregon ... 12.0 miles in length, 3500+ feet of overall climbing (5.2% average grade).

1) Average watts: 340 watts ... 59:38 overall time

2) Average speed in MPH: 12.0 mph

3) Distance:12.0 miles

4) Rider weight: 180 pounds (81.81 kilos ... 4.15 w/kg)

5) Describe bike and wheels: Cannondale CAAD10, Rival components, 58mm tubular carbon rims with a Powertap ... weighs about 16.5 pounds stripped down.

6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: I was lower on power than expected by about 10 watts, but other than that no excuses other than that I lost about 10 seconds on a downhill section when a car pulled out in front of me and was going slower than I wanted to be going. They ended up pulling to the left and letting me by about half way down.
Last edited by: Wookiebiker: Jun 14, 14 17:59
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Avg power: 288
Average speed 26.95
Distance: 10 miles
Weight: 152lb 6'2"
Bike: 2011 Transition 50mm Cosmic Carbones, cabling really needs to be cleaned up.

Probably could have pulled out a couple more watts but was my first time racing on the tt bike and I was worried about blowing up and had too much left at the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Granth9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Granth9 wrote:
1. 220w (from vector)
2. 23.4 garmin (23.07 race website)
3. 56mi
4. 185 lbs, 6'3"
5. Giant trinity advanced sl, zipp 808, tangente tires, vittoria latex tubes.
6. Eagleman, almost perfect conditions constant wind but nothing above 10mph. 80*

Pic coming
I thought the wind was in my face 80% of the time. Nothing to bad just annoying. Your numbers are nearly identical to mine
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [tranq19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts AP 213 NP 217
2) Average speed in MPH 23.7
3) Distance 56m - half iron, flat, light winds

4) Rider weight 153
5) Describe bike and wheels 2010 BH GC Aero, Hed Jet6 H2 w/disc cover, LG P-09 helmet
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero Dropped a bottle containing all of my nutrition early on, from garmin estimated time of slowing from 42 kph, turning around to grab bottle and accelerating back to race speed 1:10.

I don't consider myself super 'aero' at 6-2" there is a lot of me to hide from the wind. I did zero the powertap before the ride, but the watts seem low for the speed. Usually for a half I am closer to 225 AP and >230 NP but I am struggling to hit the same power this year as last year. Is it time to check the calibration on my powertap? Its a G3 hub, less than two years old, but the bearings are starting to go. I was going to have my LBS do the bearings, but is it worth it to pony up the extra money and have a PT service center do it and check the calibration at the same time?

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If someone could tell me just based on the data whether my aero-ness (is that a word?) is good, average or bad I would be very grateful

1) Average watts 257 watts , normalized 258
2) Average speed in MPH - 23.9
3) Distance - 41 miles (half lite triathlon)
4) Rider weight - 160
5) Describe bike and wheels FELT DA3, FLO 60 FRONT AND 10 YEAR OLD MAVIC COMET DISK
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero - WIND IN FACE THE WHOLE TIME OR SEEMED TO BE
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
appears not so good. find the graph rchung posts frequently and est you cda from that
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Distance:
55.79 mi
Time:
2:17:40
Avg Speed:
24.3 mph
Elevation Gain:
2,343 ft
Avg Power:
228 W
Max Power:
843 W
Max Avg Power (20 min):
235 W
Normalized Power (NP):
231 W
Intensity Factor (IF):
Training Stress Score (TSS):
FTP Setting:
262 W
Work:
1,838 kJ
Elevation Gain:
2,343 ft
Elevation Loss:
2,336 ft
Min Elevation:
5,043 ft
Max Elevation:
5,692 ft
Max Speed:
43.6 mph

Avg Bike Cadence:
81 rpm
Max Bike Cadence:
120 rpm
I ride a 2014 Trek Speed Concept 7.5 (stock model) with Flo 60 front and 90 back with a disc cover. I have a BTA water bottle and two behind the seat on an Aero Wing. I weight 160 am 5’11’’. I also use a Stages to get my power data. This race was from Ironman Boulder 70.3 yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Clempson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
South Carolina State Time Trial Championships last weekend. 1st CAT4, 5th Overall: 56:56

1) Average 287, NP 287
2) 26.3 mph
3) 25.0 miles
4) 156 lbs
5) Scott Plasma 30 (Plasma 2 Frame), bottle on seat tube, Profile Design T3+, Flo 90 front, Zipp101 Powertap with Catalyst wheel cover for rear, Conti GP4000S with the cheapest heaviest tubes out there. Hincapie Edge TT Suit with Rudy Project Wingspan
6) Simple out and back course which was very flat. Air was very thick the morning of the race and times were slow across the board except for one guy, but we won't talk about him. Started out pacing the first half ~300w but didn't count on the heat/humidity sapping me on the way back. Lost a little time when I had to stop for police/EMS who blocked the road briefly to respond to an incident where a rider was struck by a boat being towed. As far as I know I was the only one who hit the road block for the brief time it was up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next