Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Mark S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
90k half iron prep training ride

1) Average watts:
234 AP / 243 NP / 1.04 VI
2) Average speed in MPH: 26.4
3) Distance: 56 miles / 90k
4) Rider weight: 170 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels: Felt IA10 2016 with old school Bayonet bars and dagger stem, Hed jet 9 front, Hed jet disc rear, Giro Aerohead helmet
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: Was just a training ride, 3rd time on this bike this year to see if I could hold aero for a half iron split and did just under 2:08. I'll take it. Last 30 mins started to feel the metal from my hip surgery 10 years ago ( me vs car on bike, ouch ) digging into my glutes but mostly held power til 90k.
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position. Not from today, and a different helmet on, but haven't changed the position other than better turtling now.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Mark S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark S wrote:
Never done this before so gonna give it a whirl.

Texas State Time Trial

4) 150 lbs
5) 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 0. HED Black aluminum clincher wheels and disk. Conti GP 5000 front and TT rear. Latex tubes at 64 psi front and rear. Kogel ceramic BB and pulley wheels. Waxed chain.

PHOTO

Granted you are 40lbs less than me but did you experiment to get to 64 psi and did it feel 'soft', I've been slowly working down from my old 105psi to the 90's but have had more flats at under 100 psi than over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How tall are you? Nice ride!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was pretty pleased!

I am 5’11”
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [slower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slower wrote:
Mark S wrote:

Texas State Time Trial

4) 150 lbs
5) 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 0. HED Black aluminum clincher wheels and disk. Conti GP 5000 front and TT rear. Latex tubes at 64 psi front and rear. Kogel ceramic BB and pulley wheels. Waxed chain.

PHOTO

Granted you are 40lbs less than me but did you experiment to get to 64 psi and did it feel 'soft', I've been slowly working down from my old 105psi to the 90's but have had more flats at under 100 psi than over it.

I have been experimenting for a couple of years. Raced Kona 2019 on 62/63 PSI. I should add that I'm running 25mm tires BUT mounted on m rims they actually measure 27-28mm so I drop the pressure a bit more for that reason. I've found almost no flats with the latex tubes and lower tire pressure. My theory is that the bumps and holes get absorbed a bit more so a pinch flat is actually less likely since the tire and tube are so much more supple. I run the latex tubes in training just because I'm lazy and have flatted once in the last 2 years.

Mark Saroni
Quote | Reply
Mark S wrote:

Texas State Time Trial

1) 303 watts AP and NP
2) 28.3 mph (52:50 for 40K)
3) 40K
4) 150 lbs
5) 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 0. HED Black aluminum clincher wheels and disk. Conti GP 5000 front and TT rear. 25mm tires but the measure 27-28mm when mounted. Latex tubes at 64 psi front and rear. Kogel ceramic BB and pulley wheels. Waxed chain.
6) 10-20 mph winds and some rain. Crosshead and cross trail so disc was a winner.
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.

PHOTO

Nice ride.

FWIW, USAC nationals rules explicitly says no tri-style hydration in the TT. In case you go to that. A couple riders in the regionals this past weekend out my way got the stink eye from the USAC official at the start line and some words, then allowed to proceed that had tri-style hydration stuff going on.

I wanted to be able to post in here for regionals, but my meter fell asleep on the line and didn't wake up. I won cat 4/5, 26.6mph with a u-turn in the course. Pan flat, not much wind, pretty good course. Guess at power is probably about 265w. That's what I had done in training that far.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Mark S wrote:

Texas State Time Trial

1) 303 watts AP and NP
3) 40K
4) 150 lbs
5) 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 0. HED Black aluminum clincher wheels and disk. Conti GP 5000 front and TT rear. 25mm tires but the measure 27-28mm when mounted. Latex tubes at 64 psi front and rear. Kogel ceramic BB and pulley wheels. Waxed chain.
6) 10-20 mph winds and some rain. Crosshead and cross trail so disc was a winner.

PHOTO

Nice ride.

FWIW, USAC nationals rules explicitly says no tri-style hydration in the TT. In case you go to that. A couple riders in the regionals this past weekend out my way got the stink eye from the USAC official at the start line and some words, then allowed to proceed that had tri-style hydration stuff going on.

I wanted to be able to post in here for regionals, but my meter fell asleep on the line and didn't wake up. I won cat 4/5, 26.6mph with a u-turn in the course. Pan flat, not much wind, pretty good course. Guess at power is probably about 265w. That's what I had done in training that far.

I'm pretty sure my socks aren't legal either. I don't think they do a TT nationals unless you're cat 1, U23, or a Junior, right?

Mark Saroni
Quote | Reply
Mark S wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Mark S wrote:

Texas State Time Trial

1) 303 watts AP and NP
3) 40K
4) 150 lbs

PHOTO

Nice ride.

I'm pretty sure my socks aren't legal either. I don't think they do a TT nationals unless you're cat 1, U23, or a Junior, right?

One pager online has the ITT open to all categories including novice from what I see. I would go and get my tail beat by the real fast folks but pretty sure we have a cabin booked in the mountains that week/weekend. So likely will pass on that! Haha.

Wasn't trying to give a hard time, just know some folks train/depend on that kind of hydration setup and it would be a pain race-day at the last second to have to remove it and go thirsty. I use mine on my Trinity in training and it's awesome. But for racing, it's a different ball of wax having to reach for a bottle or pre-hydrate. I've chosen to pre-hydrate and I don't run a bottle at all for a 40k.

I have no idea of what of the below they would be sticklers about.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/usac-craft-uploads-production/assets/2021-Amateur-Road-Eligibility-wo-Call-Ups-FINAL.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Mark S wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Mark S wrote:

Texas State Time Trial

1) 303 watts AP and NP
3) 40K
4) 150 lbs

PHOTO

Nice ride.

One pager online has the ITT open to all categories including novice from what I see. I would go and get my tail beat by the real fast folks but pretty sure we have a cabin booked in the mountains that week/weekend. So likely will pass on that! Haha.

Wasn't trying to give a hard time, just know some folks train/depend on that kind of hydration setup and it would be a pain race-day at the last second to have to remove it and go thirsty. I use mine on my Trinity in training and it's awesome. But for racing, it's a different ball of wax having to reach for a bottle or pre-hydrate. I've chosen to pre-hydrate and I don't run a bottle at all for a 40k.

I have no idea of what of the below they would be sticklers about.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/usac-craft-uploads-production/assets/2021-Amateur-Road-Eligibility-wo-Call-Ups-FINAL.pdf

I have heard that at Nationals you need to be UCI legal. I was worried about it a few years ago when racing State but someone told me UCI really only applies at Nationals so I stopped even thinking about it. Would be fun to race a TT Nats sometimes but not sure if I will.

I agree on the front hydration being super handy. Holds nearly 50oz of fluid which is a lifesaver in Texas in the summer.

Thanks for the info.

Mark Saroni
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gulf coast 70.3

1) Average watts - 160/164NP
2) Average speed in MPH - 22mph
3) Distance - 56mi
4) Rider weight - 165lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels - Premier Tactical, 88mm front and disc wheel. GP4000 w/latex tubes
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero - Kask Mistral helmet, giro empire shoes with elastic laces, PD FC35 BTA.

Had 3 complete stops on the course. One at an intersection where police held us up to wait for an ambulance. 2x to keep from getting hit by idiot drivers turning into the bike lane.
Last edited by: TJP_SBR: May 24, 21 16:52
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
Gulf coast 70.3

3) Distance - 56mi
4) Rider weight - 165lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels - Premier Tactical, 88mm front and disc wheel. GP4000 w/latex tubes
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero - Kask Mistral helmet, giro empire shoes with elastic laces, PD FC35 BTA.

Had 3 complete stops on the course. One at an intersection where police held us up to wait for an ambulance. 2x to keep from getting hit by idiot drivers turning into the bike lane.

Seems really great speed for 160w and 165. Well done.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also did Texas State Time Trial this weekend

1) 322w
2) 28.8moh / 51:37 for 40k
3) 40K
4) 167 lbs
5) 2011 Cervelo P2
23mm Veloflex records @ 95psi latex. Wax
Flo 45 and OG flo disc
Tririg Alpha bars

6) 15mph crosswind on the mostly down and out course
7) pic below. Open to any and all position feedback =)

Last edited by: mvenneta: May 25, 21 19:07
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:
Gulf coast 70.3

3) Distance - 56mi
4) Rider weight - 165lbs

Seems really great speed for 160w and 165. Well done.

Thanks, I think I have a pretty good setup to get the most out of my (limited) power. The bike is fast for sure. My last 3 races were all 2:36-2:38 for similar lower output (Galveston, Chattanooga, august). So this was a 2:33 PR. This was simply a tuck-and-go flat course with (mostly) good roads. Committed to staying low and small on the bike. And I know I wasn’t drafting because I started so far back on the swim, there was about a 5-8mph differential between me and the 300 or so people I passed, so there wasn’t even anyone’s wheel to try and suck 🤣
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts - 290w AP 290w NP
2) Average speed in MPH - 26mph
3) Distance - 6.66mi at 62 feet elevation per mile (410ft)
4) Rider weight - 155lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels - 2018 Trinity Pro 1, HED 9+ and HED disc on latex/Michelin Power TT
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero - road helmet, road bib/jersey, training shoes no covers. Not a whine, but a win was having the 60t and 12/25 combo for the downhill portions where I could hold AP and flatten the terrain a bit. No wind to speak of. I've no doubt a whole 1/2mph at least faster with my Tempor and skinsuit.
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position: soon.........not had time on the newer bike.......fit coordinates are same as old bike so shouldn't be any different.

A good club run night workout. Paced perfectly. Just not a route for a speed PR due to the hills. I feel I can sniff 28mph for a 10mi soon with that same power and my full kit on a flat route.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts: 336
2) Average speed in MPH: 25.5mph (41.0kmh)
3) Distance: 25miles (40.2km)
4) Rider weight: 96kg / 211lbs (3,5w/kg)
5) Describe bike and wheels: Rim brake Canyon Speedmax CF 8, 28mm GP5000 tubeless (73psi/5bar front, 85psi/5.9bar back) on Reynolds AR58/80
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: missed a turn, lost 20-30 sec

I am looking at the avg watts and speeds of previous posters and it seems for the watts I should be travelling a bit faster. I know I am heavy, but this was a fairly flat course. Due to my height (197cm / 6 foot 5 and a half), which is all legs, no torso, I have added as much stack as I can possibly get, added to the XL frame. Hence not the smallest of holes that needs to be punched into the air and the weight then must have its toll on the rolling resistance too.

Last edited by: mart1n: Jun 3, 21 7:28
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [mart1n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mart1n wrote:
I am looking at the avg watts and speeds of previous posters and it seems for the watts I should be travelling a bit faster. I know I am heavy, but this was a fairly flat course.

Two things, fairly flat is still relative. What were the "feet per mile" gain? Like take the total elev gained and divide by distance.

Then, I found that meter accuracy is huge. I used to run a left only stages while routinely running a 4-5% delta in L/R. Meaning that at TT pace I was shorting myself about 12 to 15w off reality, thinking I was more efficient than I was.

Your meter might read high.

Outside of that, I'd really feel it would boil down to how flat it really is also. My 40k regional TT ride I did 26.6mph on a guess of 265w. Meter died on the line but I had a training ride on the identical route with power so know what I did. Pan flat but including a u-turn. With 60ft per mile elevation on an out-back "club run" of only 7 miles recently did 26mph in "road helmet and kit" at 310w.

So, if that route you did really is pretty flat then that does seem a bit slow for the power.

You could try the old smart trainer meter comparison or simply find a really short but really steep hill in town then measure you plus bike and try a calculator to see if you're in the ballpark on how the meter is reading.

I wish you luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Chattanooga 70.3

1) 216AP / 226 NP 2:19:32 to the dismount line where I stopped my garmin

2) 24.3 mph on 2.95 w/kg and avg cadence of 94

3) CHOO 70.3 - I got 56.6 miles

4) 160-161 72.9kg which is around 2kg higher than normal for this time of the season.

5) P3x Swiss side 60mm, Quarq PM, 165mm cranks, latex tubes ~35ml sealant each, Vittoria corsa speed 25mm & < 5km on them to start the race. Kiwami LD Spider 2, Aerohead, Lake CX 403s in wide & some badass custom colors!

6) No pre race aero testing on this bike. Safely figure my race CdA was <.220. And when did I decide to show up 2kg over normal/pre covid early season race weight? WTF? I blame choc chip cookies. Time for the DD diet

7) Pic is of post race testing where I went up 5mm in stack height and forward 2cm in Pad Y, which along with the suit pictured saved ~ 3w at 0 and ~10w at -7.5yaw. My CdA is well under .220 as shown above.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jun 3, 21 9:10
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job DD.

For your AP and NP, was that course hilly to give the delta there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my garmin file says 1893ft of climbing and my wko 5 says 1618 ft of climbing. \_O_/

There was a really steep pitch where I was > 330 to get over it, a max of 611 on it. There was a decent amount of course where it felt like it rolled for ~ 20k

I also misread that NP from something else I was also looking at. It should have been 225 (wko5) or 226(garmin). I'll change it. My fault

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jun 3, 21 9:09
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 298W
2) 27.2mph
3) 12.2 mile (Sprint Distance) at Dorney Lake (UK) on closed roads with only 30m elevation gain
4) 70kg
5) Boardman ATT with Enve 8.9 front wheel and FFWD rear disc. Clip on Vuka aerobars.
6) Came into the race from a three day streak of tough workouts with super tired legs. Weather was good. Course was flat but with super tight corners at each end of the rowing lake where you must brake hard and break aero then sprint back up to speed. Happy with the win though.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [sbarley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts: 317 AP / 327 NP
2) Average speed: 44.1 kph / 27. 4mph
3) Distance: 18.5 km / 11.5 mi
4) Rider weight: 75 kg / 165 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels: Canyon Speedmax SLX 2017; MET Drone; Velotec trisuit and calve sleeves; Suplest Aero shoes; Zipp 858. 23mm front / 25mm rear Conti 5k with latex tubes, 6.2bar / 90psi.
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: none
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) oyou in your aero position.

https://strava.app.link/e1NVirAQPgb

https://besse.info/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2012033
Last edited by: jcbesse: Jun 5, 21 0:22
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Chattanooga 70.3

1) 216AP / 226 NP 2:19:32 to the dismount line where I stopped my garmin

2) 24.3 mph on 2.95 w/kg and avg cadence of 94

3) CHOO 70.3 - I got 56.6 miles

4) 160-161 72.9kg which is around 2kg higher than normal for this time of the season.

5) P3x Swiss side 60mm, Quarq PM, 165mm cranks, latex tubes ~35ml sealant each, Vittoria corsa speed 25mm & < 5km on them to start the race. Kiwami LD Spider 2, Aerohead, Lake CX 403s in wide & some badass custom colors!

6) No pre race aero testing on this bike. Safely figure my race CdA was <.220. And when did I decide to show up 2kg over normal/pre covid early season race weight? WTF? I blame choc chip cookies. Time for the DD diet

7) Pic is of post race testing where I went up 5mm in stack height and forward 2cm in Pad Y, which along with the suit pictured saved ~ 3w at 0 and ~10w at -7.5yaw. My CdA is well under .220 as shown above.

You had the fastest bike split, correct? Congrats on the race. I did that race once and got my feet out of my shoes right before 56mi looking for a the dismount line, then pedaled another 3/4 mile because it’s long. Whoops.

Do you carry spare tubes/co2/levers during the race, or do you trust the sealant to keep air in your latex tubes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts: 226 AP / 231 NP
2) Average speed: 40.7 kph / 25.4mph
3) Distance: 83.6 km / 52.2 mi
4) Rider weight: 67 kg
5) Describe bike and wheels: Fuji Norcom Straight; MET Drone; Velotec trisuit; Shimano RC7 shoes ; Citec 8000CX 63mm front, 80mm rear. 23mm front / 25mm rear Conti 5k with latex tubes, 6.8bar.
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: none
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
mart1n wrote:
I am looking at the avg watts and speeds of previous posters and it seems for the watts I should be travelling a bit faster. I know I am heavy, but this was a fairly flat course.

Two things, fairly flat is still relative. What were the "feet per mile" gain? Like take the total elev gained and divide by distance.

Then, I found that meter accuracy is huge. I used to run a left only stages while routinely running a 4-5% delta in L/R. Meaning that at TT pace I was shorting myself about 12 to 15w off reality, thinking I was more efficient than I was.

Your meter might read high.

Outside of that, I'd really feel it would boil down to how flat it really is also. My 40k regional TT ride I did 26.6mph on a guess of 265w. Meter died on the line but I had a training ride on the identical route with power so know what I did. Pan flat but including a u-turn. With 60ft per mile elevation on an out-back "club run" of only 7 miles recently did 26mph in "road helmet and kit" at 310w.

So, if that route you did really is pretty flat then that does seem a bit slow for the power.

You could try the old smart trainer meter comparison or simply find a really short but really steep hill in town then measure you plus bike and try a calculator to see if you're in the ballpark on how the meter is reading.

I wish you luck!

Thank for the thoughts and feedback. The feet per mile would give me ~11 (280 feet over 25 miles).

Regarding the PM accuraccy. It's definitely a factor, but should be fairly accurate with this setup. A few months back I witnessed the same issue that my L sided 4iiii PM read quite a bit lower than my Tacx Neo 2T, which turned out to be due to the L/R balance at efforts. My left side would be anywhere from 49-46, which caused it to read lower as a total. "Luckily" the 4iiii died and it gave me an opportunity to switch to dual sided Vector 3 pedals (late run model, got them right before the Rally line was released). The pedals were tracking consistently with the trainer, reading only a watt here or there higher, which might be down just to drivetrain loss vs the smart trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hawaii 70.3
1) 235ap/240np
2) 24.3 mph
3) 56.2
4) 143lbs
5) Felt IA FRD, Enve 7.8s, GP5000 TL
6) 20w off power target, just didn't have it on the day (on bike or run). 6th OA bike split. Fun course and fun day but the Kona wind/heat combo is brutal!

Quote Reply

Prev Next