Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [gordietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen a few pros who have white rear speed boxes (yes, I know the box comes with stickers to make the box white, but these are all white). How/where can I get one of these?

---------------------------------------------------------------
2014 Wattie Ink. Elite Team

ISM Seat, PowerBar, SpeedFil, BlueSeventy, Rev3, Reynolds Wheels, 454 Tattoo, FuelBelt, Herbalife24, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [FFCaldwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paint it
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
assuming we're talking about a 9-series bike:

pads are 420487

non-UCI basebar is 309266

UCI basebar is 427064

How can I order SC9 replacement pad (#420487) via Trek's online store?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [StoneRoses] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't, exactly. A very few items are available through the Trek or Bontrager online stores and they appear in the dropdown menus after you hit "buy online". For everything else, you either work with your Trek dealer in person or via the dealer's online store (if they are participating in our online sales program).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sad to hear that. In my country, Trek dealer don't have many replacement parts in their stocks. So I have to buy online for something very specific.

Could you recommend Trek dealers in the US that I can order online? They don't have to ship internationally because I have friend in the US who will visit me soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [StoneRoses] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might be easiest then for your friend to put their postal code into our "find a retailer" tool and then hit the weblinks for the stores closest to him/her. It will be apparent pretty quickly which ones are part of the program and in most cases product availability info comes up too when you put in the part #.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl!

I tried about couple of weeks ago to contact Trek customer service via Trek Bikes web sites but nobody answers back??? I wrote whole warranty issue (2 different cases) in message but now I think that nobody really cares about it there? I wondering is it safe to ride bike where is molding issues on frame, to times?

- Ari
Quote Reply
7 series stem height [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On my SC 7.8, I've been looking to lower the stem.

None of the spacers look like they have a chamfer to allow the cap to sit properly if they're placed above the stem.

Am I missing something or is it a one way adjustment with a hacksaw?

Thanks

Alex
Last edited by: akmw: Apr 9, 12 17:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Might be easiest then for your friend to put their postal code into our "find a retailer" tool and then hit the weblinks for the stores closest to him/her. It will be apparent pretty quickly which ones are part of the program and in most cases product availability info comes up too when you put in the part #.

Why aren't these parts available online to us? Most trek dealers have no f-ing clue about speed concept bikes. There are a lot of little problems with some speed concepts and we the owners want to fix them, the parts should not be so hard to obtain. sorry for the rant, just hate having some issues out of my control and having to waste my time going to bike shops that have no clue. Carl, if you have any pull at trek fix this.. make the parts available online for those who want and need them.. rant over..
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [YO mortaaay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my first post and in the form of a question. I tried searching for the answer first and couldn't find anyone experiencing the same problem.
I have the Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon Aerobar on my SC 7 series, size SM. I have placed the pads as wide as the fittings will allow and need to get them wider still. Is there a replacement bracket with one more hole further out (perhaps stock on a L or XL) that will allow me to get the pads wider? Currently, they measure 9" center to center.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [NWFOMS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 No difference in bar hardware for different frame sizes. If you have a 7.8 you already have the widest pad brackets we offer. Any other 7series, you can get one hole wider with the SC rxl pad brackets...PN escapes me at the moment but I'll edit to add it when I hit my desk.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl. I do have the same bar that comes on the SC 7.8. Any ideas on a pad holder that would get me out wider. And of course, turning the bar extension holder outboard is not practical either. I appreciate any information you can provide.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [NWFOMS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In that case, I don't have any Bontrager solutions that leap to mind. (PN 420492 for the SC P-clamps in case anyone else was interested and didn't have that bar). It has come up before, but my own searches for other brands' hardware which might go wider haven't panned out to date. Never know what might've come to market yesterday or will do so tomorrow.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I recently purchased a Speed Concept 9.9 (Frame size Large). I'm looking for guidance on the correct stem size. The stem that is coming with the bike I believe will have too much stack for me - current stem is a 80mm/75mm (Reach/stack). I have been looking at the Fit and Sizing guide from Trek and think that the 60mm/45mm or the 100mm/45mm would be better. I'm planning on doing Half IM's and longer rides so I want to be comfortable.

My current tri bike has the current measurements.
Pad Reach: 453mm
Pad Stack: 645mm
Base bar stack: 585mm
My inseam is 89cm and I'm 183cm tall.

Any help is appreciated!

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [gajohnson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a large SC9 frame you're correct that the 80/75 won't get anywhere close to low enough for you. Assuming this is a used bike or a project1 order, as that's not stock on any size.

Your pad position is interesting...low, but relatively near (or narrow, in ST parlance) for that size frame. The decision hinges on how dialled your pad stack is and which direction you see yourself going if you do make changes:

-the 60/45 would be closest to your basebar stack and is easier to do the cable routing on but you'd be slammed (no spacers under the pads) and if you want to get lower you're looking at having to get the 50/10 anyway
-the 50/10 gives you the most flexibility for pad stack adjustment up and down (mostly down, only 15mm up) but it drops the basebar 20mm lower from where you are now and is a little more sensitive to good setup during cable routing

on paper the 50/10 is closest to your nominal pad reach, but really it's a wash between the two stems in this regard as you're within a 10mm window of nominal on either one. if you're going longer distances I might lean towards the 60/45 for basebar proximity plus a guess that if anything you might end up going higher at the pads vs lower as you do longer events. the 100/45 can hit your position but only with the pads well behind the basebar...putting your brakes waaay out there. not a fan of that option.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, thank you for the quick and detailed response! I'm doing Half IM's mostly so I think coming up a little should be more comfortable. Based on your guidance, the 60/45 sounds like the best option. Can't wait to get the bike set up and get over to the fit studio.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [gajohnson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl - will a Zipp Sub 9 fit on the speed concept without any issues? I have all the replacement warranty parts for a 2011 model (9.9).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [lmbasell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should have no problem at all with proper brake setup.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [arilehtio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I alerted our Customer Service folks to the response time question.

In a test message I also noticed the 400 character limit for the comments field wasn't auto-updating to tell me what I had left...so maybe your message never went out because it was more than a few tweets worth of introduction and a request for contact? I'll ask them to check into that too.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I finally received my screws and they are 4gr lighter than the original ones and seem better quality. I had to saw one screw because the hexagonal end was totally fucked up. Then I tried to get the rest of the screw out of the "rivet" nut but I didn't manage, so now I must find a new nut for the aerobars. Do you know if the part is available from Trek (I am from France) ?
Otherwise, is there someone out there who has one spare nut and doesn't need it ????

Picture of the nut :
http://desmond.imageshack.us/....jpg&res=landing

Thanks
Last edited by: kimaswan: Apr 14, 12 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [kimaswan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you looking for just one of the silver pieces? I think I have some spare but I am not sure how much to ship just one to France from the States.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [simpy16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they are virtually indistinguishable from a brake nut, maybe try one of those:
http://problemsolversbike.com/products/brake_nuts/
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, this has been mentioned, but make sure you just hold the bolt with a hex wrench and apply the torque to the silver nut when tightening your aerobars down. The silver nut is much better equipped to handle the high torque required by the hardware.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I saw that. That's the previous owner who did not unfortunately!
Last edited by: kimaswan: Apr 14, 12 10:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks man, I didn't think of that but I had a spare brake nut that I bought a few months ago and I just tried and it works just as it should. Thanks. Problem solved!
Thanks also simpy for offering your help!
Last edited by: kimaswan: Apr 14, 12 10:21
Quote Reply

Prev Next