Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [leh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leh wrote:
I am with Randy. What was wrong with the old log? I have been willing to give the new one a chance but my all of my swim data prior to 12/26 is slightly off (by 1-2 yards per session) and those from 12/26-12/29 have been entered multiple times but are showing up as 0 (after having just re-entered them) so I am not sure of my 2016 totals.

And while I am happy to see Top 5 categories back on the training log, somehow I am just not buying that the top 5 swimmers are doing 90-800 miles per swim session as are posted. When you enter a swim distance as, say 4000, then go to change the units from the default of miles to yards it then translates that 7039982.5 yards. The standard should be yards or meters not miles. People may be changing it from miles to yards but the 4000 doesn't stay and you then must go back to change the converted number back to 4000. It is very clunky, and I am guessing many folks are not realizing this so both the swim and aerobic point leader boards are incorrect.

It may be time to start using the USMS log instead. From what I recall from several years ago, it is nice and simple!

Hey leh,

The old log has languished for several years without any input or update, as the former developer has gone his way.

As we discussed, your swim data prior to 12/26 is in the log in meters, unchanged from the previous log, and the conversion factor is the mathematically correct conversion factor, so I can only conclude that they were logged in error to begin with, or that the prior log had a different conversion factor, did the math erroneously, or that the current one does so.

That being said, I know you have a large volume of previous data in the system and I'd like to help you get it right. Let's take this to PM and figure out exactly how we can fix your numbers so they make sense. I'm very concerned about distances being off (they are important to me as well!), so let's get this figured out.

I agree about the top 5 swimmers. The leaderboard has revealed some data problems and I intend to address them posthaste. I am sure nobody wants to be atop the leaderboard with inaccurate data, too!!

I think I am seeing what's happening here:

1) the activity is defaulting to road cycling (this ultimately will be changeable), and thus the distance type to miles or kilometers based on the user's units preference (also will be changeable).

2) the user is entering the distance in the desired units, not the current ones, and AFTER that is changed from miles or kilometers to yards or meters, and this is causing the 4000 mile swims, for example.

I'll address this usability issue very next thing today. I apologize. It's difficult as a one-man team to catch every use case. As soon as you change to swimming, it ought to go to the swimming activity default distance of yards or meters (I already programmed this data in, but it's just not reflecting the change of activity type).

I'll be going through and correcting the leaderboards and updating the aerobic points totals to fix this, too.

By the way, I only show 3 workouts since 12/25 for you with no distance on them: two yoga sessions and one of weights.

Thank you,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:
Eric,

Are we going to be able to track our weight. All my historical weight data is in the old log. I used this in conjunction with the goal feature to help minimize winter weight gain and help get back to race weight. It was nice to visualize the gradual trending on the graph. Its easier to feel like you are on the right track seeing the trend over time.

Yes! Converting the historical weight tracking and adding it into the new log is very high on my list. I expect to have it in place this week. Graphs will follow.

Thanks,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [Tony.White] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tony.White wrote:
I changed my screen name a few days ago and I logged in today to see that my workout data is gone. Was this because I changed my screen name? My old name is still visible on the 100/100 challenge but I can't see those workouts anymore.

suggestions? or do I have to enter all of that data again?

Hey Tony! I apologize for this. Between Jordan and I we have a little usability gap when a user's name changes. I can go in and manually update the user mapping for now -- don't worry, all your workouts are safe.

Thanks,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
because the default value is road cycling and you start plugging numbers in.... it will give your aerobic score as road cycling even though after putting the numbers in you select running. The aerobic points calculation should be done after the workout is submitted

I'll double check this -- it's supposed to update the aerobic point factor based on the activity selected, and use the currently-selected activity's factor to calculate and recalculate them ongoing. Thanks for the heads-up!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [Tony.White] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tony.White wrote:
I changed my screen name a few days ago...

Tony, your data should be back. Again, sorry about that. I'm emailing Jordan to make sure we get this use case worked out.

Thanks,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple of things:
1. I seem to be having some issues when logging workouts via mobile. I am not sure if it is something to do with my phone or the log itself. When I go in to log a workout and the details screen pops up I can enter the values and such like I should but occasionally something will happen and the details screen is still up but I can only scroll on the background screen which is the training log homepage.

2. I think it would be nice if at the top of the home screen we could see say our last 3-7 workouts that were entered rather than having to change screens.

I know there are still plenty of things to work through for people but I like the fact that the log and training page is being adjusted to what the users want. Not everyone can or will be happy with it but at least people can have a say and some of their ideas can get implemented.

ETA: 3. Can the Guppy Log go back to swim frequency or "Count" as the ranking rather than distance? that is what it started out as and then switched at some point to distance and with the inputs on distance being a little wonky at the moment it seems to be a little weird. Not that there is an award or anything but it helps to keep me motivated to do all of the wonderful drills Slowman has me failing on.
Last edited by: LSchmitt: Jan 4, 17 8:53
Quote Reply
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [LSchmitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LSchmitt wrote:
Couple of things:
1. I seem to be having some issues when logging workouts via mobile. I am not sure if it is something to do with my phone or the log itself. When I go in to log a workout and the details screen pops up I can enter the values and such like I should but occasionally something will happen and the details screen is still up but I can only scroll on the background screen which is the training log homepage.

2. I think it would be nice if at the top of the home screen we could see say our last 3-7 workouts that were entered rather than having to change screens.

I know there are still plenty of things to work through for people but I like the fact that the log and training page is being adjusted to what the users want. Not everyone can or will be happy with it but at least people can have a say and some of their ideas can get implemented.

ETA: 3. Can the Guppy Log go back to swim frequency or "Count" as the ranking rather than distance? that is what it started out as and then switched at some point to distance and with the inputs on distance being a little wonky at the moment it seems to be a little weird. Not that there is an award or anything but it helps to keep me motivated to do all of the wonderful drills Slowman has me failing on.

I'll double check the mobile screen. I haven't looked at it in a while -- everything is supposed to work on it more or less but it might take some quick tweaks to get right.

Where on the home screen would you like to see them? I actually agree, I find myself going to the log page just to get at those last couple of workouts. Alternatively, what if the recent days / weeks summary had a way to pull up each workout?

Lastly, I actually am not sure on the guppy what the original is, leading to my making a guess. I can adjust it to the count.

Thanks for your input, and as I said previously, if we get enough variety of needs / wants for the home page, it'll wind up totally configurable!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there are three options but for where to see the last couple of days recap but I know absolutely nothing about setting this stuff up and what is doable for you. 1 would be in the box where "log a new workout" is, 2 would be to the side of the "Recent Weeks" box but not sure there is enough room, and 3 would be above or below the users "Year to Date" stats. It should be located somewhere in the upper section of the screen though so that you don't have to scroll to a different section of the page to view it. And yes if I could click a day on the calendar and either get a pop up screen or a take me to a new page showing the workouts and details for that day that would be a nice feature as well.

I also think the "Workouts" page needs a little work when you get time as well. All of the information is there but the way the list is presented it seems a bit jumbled up but maybe that is just me. I envision each day spaced out a little more so that you can see groupings of workouts by day within the list. I am not sure if that explanation makes sense or not. Basically skip a line between days within the log.
Quote Reply
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [leh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leh wrote:
When you enter a swim distance as, say 4000, then go to change the units from the default of miles to yards it then translates that 7039982.5 yards. The standard should be yards or meters not miles. People may be changing it from miles to yards but the 4000 doesn't stay and you then must go back to change the converted number back to 4000. It is very clunky, and I am guessing many folks are not realizing this so both the swim and aerobic point leader boards are incorrect.

I believe this is fixed now. Aerobic points and distance types should update based on the activity you select without having to pick one manually.

Next task will be to get all the messed-up distances fixed so the leaderboards are consistent.

Thanks,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks!!!

@tonywhitetri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Eric
Thanks for building us the training log. I just counted my runs starting on 12-15-16 till today and I count 30 runs and the log only shows 29 listed runs.

Thanks

OK I just found it as I logged a run at 34 sec instead of 34 minutes. Doh!! You can take the rest of the day off now. Cheers
Last edited by: Power Giant: Jan 4, 17 20:20
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Everyday when i go to the training log it's getting better and better :-) thank you. You are doing an amazing job and your patience with everyone on the forum is second to none.

I second Anna's opinion. Keep it up.

OK some more items to add to the development queue:

• Can you add in sorting by category for the challenges (so people can sort by time, by distance or by frequency)
  • Can you add in the "more" (where we can see past years), the option of "previous months"
  • Can you add in the "more" the option to see totals by date range and by sport (a double filter)

OK thanks for putting up with all our requests. You know with the high subscription fee slowman is charging us, we're a high maintenance group of zero dollar paying free loading customers. On the other hand, view us a part of the free product management consulting team.
Quote Reply
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Anna s wrote:
Everyday when i go to the training log it's getting better and better :-) thank you. You are doing an amazing job and your patience with everyone on the forum is second to none.

I second Anna's opinion. Keep it up.

OK some more items to add to the development queue:

• Can you add in sorting by category for the challenges (so people can sort by time, by distance or by frequency)
  • Can you add in the "more" (where we can see past years), the option of "previous months"
  • Can you add in the "more" the option to see totals by date range and by sport (a double filter)

OK thanks for putting up with all our requests. You know with the high subscription fee slowman is charging us, we're a high maintenance group of zero dollar paying free loading customers. On the other hand, view us a part of the free product management consulting team.

You guys are a wonderful user group, I appreciate the opportunity.

First item is already on the list, second and third items added. I've nearly made my way through all of the high priority ones (I'll do a big status dump later today), and it is almost time to start ticking off the "wants" on the list!

Thanks again,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,
I really liked the bar graph the last log had. Can we have that as part of the Charts and Graphs?
Additionally, could you please keep the same colors? (yellow = run, pink = swim, green = bike). It will throw me for a loop of you change them :-)
Thanks!
tc

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Hi Eric,
I really liked the bar graph the last log had. Can we have that as part of the Charts and Graphs?
Additionally, could you please keep the same colors? (yellow = run, pink = swim, green = bike). It will throw me for a loop of you change them :-)
Thanks!
tc

I'm really excited to start doing some data visualization on the new one. I have had a variety of solutions over the years and I think this is going to be the best part of the process as we go forward. So yes, we can get bar graphs back. Since I didn't use the old one very much you'll have to remind me what it contained / how it showed the data.

So when you say colors... I've been thinking about that too. I like the little run/bike/swim icons that ST has already, and was thinking about leveraging them. Where would you like to see the colors in place?

Thanks,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm really excited to start doing some data visualization on the new one. I have had a variety of solutions over the years and I think this is going to be the best part of the process as we go forward. So yes, we can get bar graphs back. Since I didn't use the old one very much you'll have to remind me what it contained / how it showed the data.

So when you say colors... I've been thinking about that too. I like the little run/bike/swim icons that ST has already, and was thinking about leveraging them. Where would you like to see the colors in place?

Thanks,

-Eric

The date goes on the x-axis. Hours go on the y-axis. Stacked bar graph such that if I swim 30 minutes, run for an hour, and ride for an hour, there is a pink rectangle (swim) topped by a yellow rectangle (run) topped by a green rectangle (bike).

There was a line graph under it that had body weight --- again, date on x axis. Weight on y-axis.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK folks, just added a calculated pace to the workout edit screen. Plus showing/hiding fields based on whether or not you have certain things turned off or on (sync for example). Let me know if you need the Strava sync back on. The user preferences page is nearly next.

Thanks,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I could be overlooking it, but is there option for entering body weight?

There is now! :-D

Added a navbar page, list, add/edit box.

Add button on main screen, weight goals converted from old system, and graph still coming.

Thanks,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric,

I've given the new log a bit to evolve... A few suggestions:

The challenges used to have each name as a link to the users' training log...it's how I follow my friends' activities and how they follow mine. Now, I have no way of stalking them!

I'm not interested in a huge list of possible activities and how much they are logged...I can't imagine anyone else would care either.

Weekly totals are more important (to me) than a running yearly total...I don't know how others feel. Yearly totals should be accessible but on the main page only if there is room. (IMHO).

"Recent Workouts" seems to be a waste of space.

Otherwise, the new log is looking good...and I appreciate your work and your skills. And it's cool that you listen to all the suggestions and complaints!

Thanks, Rick Cope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anybody having trouble logging or editing a workout? I am getting a spinning dial only; please wait, but no connection
Quote Reply
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump.......still having trouble. Is it just me/my computer or is it a log issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my usual experience with the new log (the new log is very nice, but there are some issues...)

* the new log comes up on screen...
* the "button" or "click target" that takes us to the screen/template/whatever into which new workout data is entered --- that's nowhere to be seen.
* hit refresh and other things for a while...
* get coffee, beer, or go do another workout...
* try some more...
* eventually - presto! there's the button, and I enter my data.

Is there something else that I should tri?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Erik,

Any chance of doing the following refinements:

1. On any challenge being able to sort on the various headings (example: frequency, or hours or distance)
  2. On any challenge can you add a column for "average pace" It is interesting to see the relative intensities
  3. On any given challenge, would be great to click on any of the users and see their overall training log, or as a minimum a flat list of all workouts they did during the challenge in question. This feature, as a minimum, would be nice to see for yourself for a given challenge
  4. On the "more button" when you go off your year to date totals, in addition to the previous years, can we get previous months or better yet, previous "user selectable" date range

Thanks for the great work. I am glad to see that such a high percentage of my zero dollar subscription to ST is being allocated for excellent user value. Good to see that Slowman is not just using the subcriber revenues to jack up earnings per share and he is re investing all those massive $$$$ in product enhancement. Slowman would be squeezed by the board of directors for this, but clearly he does not care what NASDAQ thinks of over investing in product development LOL!
Quote Reply
Re: Official New Log.Slowtwitch.Com Training Log Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Thanks for the great work. I am glad to see that such a high percentage of my zero dollar subscription to ST is being allocated for excellent user value. Good to see that Slowman is not just using the subcriber revenues to jack up earnings per share and he is re investing all those massive $$$$ in product enhancement. Slowman would be squeezed by the board of directors for this, but clearly he does not care what NASDAQ thinks of over investing in product development LOL!

this is the second time I have been confronted with what I feel is the need to defend my frustration against the argument that it is "free" (both by you).

OK I get it it's free. And I am doing my best to be patient. But at the moment I can't put information into it. And when I post that "issue" to this forum more than 24 hours goes by without any response to that "issue". Perhaps it is just my issue. But if the intent is to attract more users to the log I would think having a live log that you cant enter data into would be a bit of a deterrent to a new user.

In that way I am trying to assist this free service

In the past we have been asked to participate in the training log by the owner. Some of us have done so in an effort to support the "free" site as a whole. Some of us support it with many "clicks" per day which I am assuming effects the advertising here which I am assuming is not free.

Some of us bought custom Louis Garneau kits and specifically mentioned ST was where we heard about it in an effort to generate more business, to support the "free" site.

Some of us sport an ST kit on Zwift specifically to raise the profile of ST.

Etc Etc.

Lot's of us have lots of disposable income as you know given the profile of the average triathlete. We don't "purchase" training software by choice. We choose to use this one. I don't think being frustrated because I cant enter a workout into the log is unreasonable. And I think continuing to fall back on excusing what is happening because it is "free" is a bit disingenuous. You are a business guy so I know you get this.

If one of the machines in my machine shop is down I can tell you exactly how much my business is losing per 5 minutes. If I am sitting in my office when it happens I will continue to sit at my desk as long as I see a flurry of activity from those I expect to understand what is going on and what the cost of being down is. If I don't see that flurry I am up from my desk; and you really don't want me to be up from my desk if you are in charge of that machine.
Quote Reply

Prev Next