Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Official Aero Tri Suit Thread - 2015
Quote | Reply
So, apologies to Jack Toland for starting a new thread, but I figured a new year/production line would best be served with a new thread. I'm starting to do the research on stuff myself, so I figured I'd share what I've been looking at.

Please see HERE for the original thread. A lot of what will be asked has already been discussed there.

In no particular order, I'll throw out some stuff that is still on the market, and some new stuff. As more stuff comes on the market, I'll do my best to update. Feel free to keep the posts coming about what else is coming out and what is testing well/not testing well.

Pearl Izumi Octane
$300 (easily available for less that that online)

Scody Optimise A.I.R.
$300

Champion Systems Apex
Pricing online listed as low as $238, pricing pdf shows $595 for one-off

Wattie Ink Contendor
$399

Kiwami Kona Wings Aero Jacket
$169

Fusion Speed Suit
$275

LG Course M-2
$300

Virklon Aero Endurance
~$135

Zoot Ultra Tri Aero Skinsuit
$155

HUUB DS Long Course
Sold out

Still to Come
Orca RS1 Dream - Summer 2015?
Cuore of Switzerland Tri Suit/Top
Pearl Izumi Octane 2.0?
Castelli T1 Stealth 2.0?

----
@adamwfurlong
Last edited by: afurlong: Mar 9, 15 10:45
Quote Reply
Re: Official Aero Tri Suit Thread - 2015 [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too lazy to go on the site on my phone but LG has a new suit as well I believe.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LG Course M-2 Tri Suit is available for $300 I believe.

HUUB has a suit coming in the spring. They showed it off at Interbike last year. 220 Triathlon reviewed it here.

Quote | Reply
I feel like this new thread is a couple months early...

PI Octane is supposedly coming out with a better "cut" and longer zipper for their 2015 model

Castelli T1 Stealth is getting redone... I think Leanda Cave used it in Kona though

Regardless, my personal feeling is there are only two options to chose from unless you actually go get tested.... and I listed them above.

FWIW... Wattie Ink spent a hell of a lot of money 'testing' their products and we have yet to hear one good thing about how it compares to other products. Take that how you will.

I am extremely interested in the Orca Dream.. the only problem is that the ones used in Kona and the ones that will be quoted as "fast" were all specially tailored.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Aero Tri Suit Thread - 2015 [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably a little early, but I didn't know if I was just out of the loop with regards to new things coming out. Theoretically, most stuff would be getting released over the next few months so as to be ready for spring/summer ordering.

Re: Wattie kit -- was on the team for 2 years. Chose not to apply/stay on the team this season for individual reasons. Wattie and Heather are both great people. Regarding the kit, we were told that it was testing well, but no, I've never seen the numbers. Those that have worn it have said it is incredibly comfortable. And having been involved in the feedback process on their cycling kits, I'll say that they take their feedback very seriously and are constantly making changes to improve their products. Are their suits $100 better than the rest of the market? Impossible to say.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
Probably a little early, but I didn't know if I was just out of the loop with regards to new things coming out. Theoretically, most stuff would be getting released over the next few months so as to be ready for spring/summer ordering.

Re: Wattie kit -- was on the team for 2 years. Chose not to apply/stay on the team this season for individual reasons. Wattie and Heather are both great people. Regarding the kit, we were told that it was testing well, but no, I've never seen the numbers. Those that have worn it have said it is incredibly comfortable. And having been involved in the feedback process on their cycling kits, I'll say that they take their feedback very seriously and are constantly making changes to improve their products. Are their suits $100 better than the rest of the market? Impossible.

Fixed that for you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I am interested in good aero tri tops, for me the suits are too much hassle, especially for long distance. Besides Castelli, is there any other good ones?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Aero Tri Suit Thread - 2015 [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baboonator wrote:
Personally I am interested in good aero tri tops, for me the suits are too much hassle, especially for long distance. Besides Castelli, is there any other good ones?

Serious question... why would you want to look at anything past Castelli? The tops pattern (aero benefit) and price can't be beat.

To answer your question:
Kiwami Kona Top -- can't remember the name. Full zip.. long sleeves... no pattern.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, last time I looked (like in november or december), it seemed to have been discontinued, and I thought they were now only making the full suits. At the very least there was very few sizes available. I did not look much further as I don't need one until this summer. I just read in this thread or the other that they are redesigning the top so maybe it was the reason for the short supplies.

If it is true then I'll be sporting it soon enough, but it doesn't hurt to know about all the options. If I understand the aerosuit theory correctly, what matters more than the material/pattern is the tightness of it and whether it wrinkles around the shoulders or not. I may be wrong though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
PI Octane is supposedly coming out with a better "cut" and longer zipper for their 2015 model

Castelli T1 Stealth is getting redone... I think Leanda Cave used it in Kona though

Regardless, my personal feeling is there are only two options to chose from unless you actually go get tested.... and I listed them above.

Why exclude LG's M-2 from the short list?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Official Aero Tri Suit Thread - 2015 [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:

Why exclude LG's M-2 from the short list?

Scott

This is going to be my personal opinion... anyone can disagree with me but it's how I feel from the reading I've done. I'm no expert, that's why I'll be seeing ERO for real answers, but I feel I'm pretty versed.

You have three options for aero suits:
1) 1 piece suit
2) 2 piece (aero top and whatever shorts you want)
3) whatever you wanna call the suit that Rapp likes (ex. Body Paint tri suit - where the suit is connected but they say it's two pieces).

With that said, unless you test every option yourself, the best suits for most are:
1) PI Octane
2) Castelli T1 Stealth
3) I have no idea actually

Now, wrinkles and bunching definitely play a factor when it's painfully obvious and doesn't fit but we're all just guessing unless we test things. So, if you're going to "guess", your best guesses are those options.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Aero Tri Suit Thread - 2015 [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baboonator wrote:
Well, last time I looked (like in november or december), it seemed to have been discontinued, and I thought they were now only making the full suits. At the very least there was very few sizes available. I did not look much further as I don't need one until this summer. I just read in this thread or the other that they are redesigning the top so maybe it was the reason for the short supplies.

If it is true then I'll be sporting it soon enough, but it doesn't hurt to know about all the options. If I understand the aerosuit theory correctly, what matters more than the material/pattern is the tightness of it and whether it wrinkles around the shoulders or not. I may be wrong though.

Overly simplified, yes.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Official Aero Tri Suit Thread - 2015 [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LG has been added to the 1st post.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:

With that said, unless you test every option yourself, the best suits for most are:
1) PI Octane
2) Castelli T1 Stealth
3) I have no idea actually

Now, wrinkles and bunching definitely play a factor when it's painfully obvious and doesn't fit but we're all just guessing unless we test things. So, if you're going to "guess", your best guesses are those options.

Honestly, you really really really really cannot guess on this stuff. It is so individualized by person. Those have been the top selling kits (and interestingly enough, 1 of each type - a full piece suit and a top). I've owned both. The PI fit okay, but without getting it tailored (which I am looking into), I am very confident that I can find a better fitting, more aero kit.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few new suits coming to the market in 2015.

We have one for AeroCamp and another company is trying to get us their new, short sleeved model.

We'll have the Kiwami AeroWings to test as well.

One advantage of AeroCamp is we have more suits then just Ero, who we work with at camp. Something to ponder.

But yes without testing, it's hard to know which is The Best.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Official Aero Tri Suit Thread - 2015 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
There are a few new suits coming to the market in 2015.

We have one for AeroCamp and another company is trying to get us their new, short sleeved model.

We'll have the Kiwami AeroWings to test as well.

One advantage of AeroCamp is we have more suits then just Ero, who we work with at camp. Something to ponder.

But yes without testing, it's hard to know which is The Best.

Please tell us you'll be making another aero camp thread :) It was easily one of the most useful threads ever. Also shouldn't we add the castelli aero race jersey
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Jan 27, 15 20:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to hearing the data on the Kona Wings, from my fit experience with it, and my "eye ball test" of the pictures with me in it, I think it will test quite well.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also Virklon, which is super cheap. Easy to make your own design aswell.

http://www.virklon.com/...riathlon/aero-tritop
http://www.virklon.com/...thlon/aero-endurance

42 Euros for tri top, 89 for full suit.

Bit of an issue with the tri top for me with length, see the gap at the back. If you wear it with Virklon tri shorts there are retaining clips which hold it down. Other than that I bloody love it.

Last edited by: knighty76: Jan 28, 15 1:35
Quote Reply
Re: Official Aero Tri Suit Thread - 2015 [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IDk if we will, it's something we (Jim, Heath and I) will need to chat about at camp. I'm sure we'll be leaking tidbits out over twitter and/or FB.

I've got athletes to coach. If you saw how many hours goes into and resulted from AeroCamp, starting another thread, if it's anything like last year's thread, gobbled large amounts of time.

If we added just jersey's to this thread there are several. I've got a secret one on my desk for AeroCamp, same with an aero suit that I'll be bringing to camp for people to test. Might have a different aero jersey hanging around soon as well from a different brand.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm certainly happy to add tops to the list, although I'm not willing to do a ton of leg work on that end, since it's not a route I'll be taking. I've added the Kiwami one, and previously tested/raced in the Cuore top. Anything else you're willing to share yet?

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
IDk if we will, it's something we (Jim, Heath and I) will need to chat about at camp. I'm sure we'll be leaking tidbits out over twitter and/or FB.

I've got athletes to coach. If you saw how many hours goes into and resulted from AeroCamp, starting another thread, if it's anything like last year's thread, gobbled large amounts of time.

If we added just jersey's to this thread there are several. I've got a secret one on my desk for AeroCamp, same with an aero suit that I'll be bringing to camp for people to test. Might have a different aero jersey hanging around soon as well from a different brand.

The thread was easily the "thread of the year", and people still reference it and refer to it all the time. That said, I totally understand it's an enormous amount of work. I will say it's had a lot of us thinking about attending the camp though, so good advertising, and now that we have an amazing new velodrome in Milton, Ontario, I think you'd sell out a camp up here in seconds :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just grabbed myself the LG Course M-2 Skin. Received it on Friday and while the fit was small (I opted for a XS rather than usual S) it fit very well, no bunching in the shoulders or upper back. I'm actually very impressed by the quality of the materials and what appears to be a lack of seams anywhere on this thing. Not going to have an opportunity to test it until spring time but initial fit was impressive.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figure it is, but one has to prioritize. As for a lot of other things, if I am correct fit should prevail here. If you can get both fit and good material/patterns then it's all good but based on the limited options finding the perfect blend might be impossible. It would still be better than a "regular" tri top (I currently have a De Soto riviera top).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Aero Tri Suit Thread - 2015 [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
I've just grabbed myself the LG Course M-2 Skin. Received it on Friday and while the fit was small (I opted for a XS rather than usual S) it fit very well, no bunching in the shoulders or upper back. I'm actually very impressed by the quality of the materials and what appears to be a lack of seams anywhere on this thing. Not going to have an opportunity to test it until spring time but initial fit was impressive.

What's your height and weight if you don't mind me asking :) ...just trying to guage fit...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Aero Tri Suit Thread - 2015 [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
desert dude wrote:

The thread was easily the "thread of the year", and people still reference it and refer to it all the time. That said, I totally understand it's an enormous amount of work. I will say it's had a lot of us thinking about attending the camp though, so good advertising, and now that we have an amazing new velodrome in Milton, Ontario, I think you'd sell out a camp up here in seconds :)

We've been talking with Andy at Alphamantis. Once they get everything set up we'll be looking to do a camp up there.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next