Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
pier87 wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:
I agree with this especially if the goal is to have someone help Yee in the swim and bike while keeping the gap close for the MTR. Stapley had a pretty good audition for that role during the grand final although it didn't quite work out. That being said, I would still take Brownlee for the MTR. He had a crappy season last year showed flashes during the superleague series. He just needs to show up fit and healthy on August 5.

I think considering Stapley’s swim and his run form atm he should be the clear favourite for the MTR

Stapley is now ranked 37 for WTCS and 70 for Olympic ranking. If he gets subbed in for the 2 WTCS races can he get into top 50?

Who can they sub him in for, they don't have many in the field. Stapley run form, he beat a group of swim bikers, renowned for their weaker runs. Doesn't necessary put him above Brownlee run ability.

What Brownlee run ability? No doubt his past performances have been epic but last year his results were terrible, even if he came into T1 in the lead group. He was 35th at the grand final and 51st at the Paris Test event. He hasn’t raced since September 2023 and has been pulled from multiple start lists.

How can you assess his current run ability?
Last edited by: SheridanTris: Apr 30, 24 1:49
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
pier87 wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:
I agree with this especially if the goal is to have someone help Yee in the swim and bike while keeping the gap close for the MTR. Stapley had a pretty good audition for that role during the grand final although it didn't quite work out. That being said, I would still take Brownlee for the MTR. He had a crappy season last year showed flashes during the superleague series. He just needs to show up fit and healthy on August 5.

I think considering Stapley’s swim and his run form atm he should be the clear favourite for the MTR

Stapley is now ranked 37 for WTCS and 70 for Olympic ranking. If he gets subbed in for the 2 WTCS races can he get into top 50?

Who can they sub him in for, they don't have many in the field. Stapley run form, he beat a group of swim bikers, renowned for their weaker runs. Doesn't necessary put him above Brownlee run ability.

What Brownlee run ability? No doubt his past performances have been epic but last year his results were terrible, even if he came into T1 in the lead group. He was 35th at the grand final and 51st at the Paris Test event. He hasn’t raced since September 2023 and has been pulled from multiple start lists.

Can't, just saying Stapley run time was still close to a minute slower than fastest guys, who aren't the fastest on the circuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
pier87 wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:

Can't, just saying Stapley run time was still close to a minute slower than fastest guys, who aren't the fastest on the circuit.

but you're comparing apples and pears. They gained over a minute on the bike, of course they pushed harder, plus he didn't need to go any harder on the run after he broke the others...race dynamics do matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
pier87 wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:

but his current run ability is really not that important i dont see any problem pulling him of start lists, his job is to perform less than 20 min in 90 or so days. and the guy knows a thing or two how to perform at the oly games.
or which brit did beat him in the grand final when you talk about his bad run ...
a world cups win in china and 57th place in grand final vs medals at 3 consecutive oly games and 35th place in grand final . i dont think he finished a single race outside the top 3 brit athletes last year and had a couple of decent results.

so you are discussing more who will be the alternate as of course the chance is he will not be fit.

feds are not really known to select a guy that does not train in the system and is not funded over a guy that is in the system unless they have to, as at the end of the day its a political sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
pier87 wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:

but his current run ability is really not that important i dont see any problem pulling him of start lists, his job is to perform less than 20 min in 90 or so days. and the guy knows a thing or two how to perform at the oly games.
or which brit did beat him in the grand final when you talk about his bad run ...
a world cups win in china and 57th place in grand final vs medals at 3 consecutive oly games and 35th place in grand final . i dont think he finished a single race outside the top 3 brit athletes last year and had a couple of decent results.

so you are discussing more who will be the alternate as of course the chance is he will not be fit.

feds are not really known to select a guy that does not train in the system and is not funded over a guy that is in the system unless they have to, as at the end of the day its a political sport.

I don’t think you understand how ruthless the federation will be if needed. They have to get 3 Olympic medals just to maintain current levels of funding. Anything less and they lose funding for the full Olympic cycle to Los Angeles.

You can’t send someone to the Olympics based on what they did 12/8/3 years ago even if that was on the podium.

How can you say his current run ability isn’t important? It is vital. Especially if as expected he would take the first leg if selected. Why has he been pulled from every start line this year?
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not think he is french, just spent time there growing up, he speaks fluent french but even being born there is not enough to actually hold the citizenship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure Jonny is not injured. Pretty sure that it is Barclay Izzard who is injured. I'm guessing that with Barclay injured GB knew that a third make for Paris was impossible, so Johnny has just been training. He's been doing track (see his social media) Also , he has run as part of a relay team in a local race. Was sick , not injured, for e games.
While Max may have put himself in the picture for ,2nd man / alternatehe hasn't as yet made anything a fine deal. Still think GB will go with Jonny, if he can show some form. He is a proven performer at the Olympics and had some good races in superleague last year beating Max Stapley by the way.
The other guy in the picture is Sam Dickenson
Both Johnny and Sam are capable of being domestic for Yee if required.
I think a lot will depend on who shows what form in the upcoming races.
Well it is true that Max has improved his running, thought he was looking thinner by the way it is also true that he has yet to show it against the top runners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

nobody says they will not change but they will only change if they have to. and until now i cant see a performance that would make them change.and i cant see them change based on world cup results it likely will have to come from a world series result .
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonnny has just done a podcast with someone, I haven't got time to listen to this at the moment, but maybe the answers to his mysterious weird Olympic build up is in here....

https://open.spotify.com/...uxlQvmEBoAPCVXHFg%0A
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hayden Wilde just ran a 5000m PB of 13:23.91 in Huelva, Spain.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [jscott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's faster than Alex Yee, I think
Was it a certified course?
Do you have a link to the results?
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [jscott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok
I guess that is certified and indoor?
I can't read Italian
It's very fast though
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [jcgiraSHT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jcgiraSHT wrote:
I do not think he is french, just spent time there growing up, he speaks fluent french but even being born there is not enough to actually hold the citizenship.

His French mother would disagree with you, I think. His father is British, mum French, and he mostly grew up in Australia in Wollongong where his father is a professor at the university.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huelva is in Spain, in the south. it was in a 400m track outdoors. I saw the replay, the track was wet and I could see some important spanish runners (Mechaal and Carro). As for Wilde, that PB is huge...cannot say if it is more impressive than Yee's 10,000m PB (27:5x ??)..If the guy runs like this in the Olympics it will be hard to bet against him. I am curious to see Blum's current run shape.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
jcgiraSHT wrote:

His French mother would disagree with you, I think. His father is British, mum French, and he mostly grew up in Australia in Wollongong where his father is a professor at the university.

It is a bit complicated for French nationality. If he was born outside of France his mother would have had to register his birth with the French consulate in the country he was born and then request he be added to the livret de famille.

I am not saying he isn’t French because if his mother didn’t do that he could still become French.

My understanding is he gained a GB passport recently by decent as he couldn’t get an AUS passport by residence. So that would indicate that he did have a different nationality before his GB passport.

EDIT: He was born in France to a French mother so he is automatically French.
Last edited by: SheridanTris: May 1, 24 0:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:
https://rfealive.info/Results/ResultsEvent?key=HU24%3ACO%3ACO%3A5%3A1&session=30%2F04%20Ma%C3%B1ana
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was previously racing for Australia
Thought he crossed over because he was dissatisfied with Australia
No inside knowledge, but if you look up his results he previously raced for Australia, do I am not really understanding the Australian passport thing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:
No inside knowledge, but if you look up his results he previously raced for Australia, do I am not really understanding the Australian passport thing?

Yeah, not quite sure how that would be possible either, especially as it was not as a junior. He grew up in Australia, went to France as a junior to train and develop, won the French junior tests one year, then came back to Australia and raced for Australia. I think he had to do an ITU flag year between racing for France and Australia, and then again a couple of years ago between Australia and GB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
sidelined wrote:

Yeah, not quite sure how that would be possible either, especially as it was not as a junior. He grew up in Australia, went to France as a junior to train and develop, won the French junior tests one year, then came back to Australia and raced for Australia. I think he had to do an ITU flag year between racing for France and Australia, and then again a couple of years ago between Australia and GB.

I don’t think he ever raced as a senior for France and I am not sure how he raced for Australia as a junior. He tried to get an AUS passport but it would have meant missing nearly the whole of last season by staying as a permanent resident in AUS to get his nationality.

The 2 nationalities he appears to have by decent are France and GBR. AUS would have been by residence but he had already left the country training in PS group. He was born in France, raised in Canada and AUS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I don’t think he ever raced as a senior for France and I am not sure how he raced for Australia as a junior. He tried to get an AUS passport but it would have meant missing nearly the whole of last season by staying as a permanent resident in AUS to get his nationality.

The 2 nationalities he appears to have by decent are France and GBR. AUS would have been by residence but he had already left the country training in PS group. He was born in France, raised in Canada and AUS.[/quote]
this would come closest to what is correct. he never had an aussi passort
he explains: “I got to May last year and my Australian passport wasn’t granted so I’m currently – despite the way I sound – not an Australian at all. That therefore rules me out of participation at the World Championships, the Olympic Games, the Commonwealth Games.
“And the immigration laws in Australia would just make it physically impossible for me to get the passport – I would have had to spend a lot of time in Australia, miss racing and it wouldn’t have worked.
“So I thought I’ve got a British passport, now live in Leeds and the federation is more than happy to have me so let’s just make the move. Realistically you’re entitled to do what’s best for you as an athlete with the passports. he was born in france so this would be his 2nd of the passports he talks about source 247 tri interview
lets not forget he also did a race the day before he officially changed flag which by the books makes him ineligible to race in paris. as you cant race for 2 flags in the 2 year qualification window. i cant rember what the official desison is on this
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fastest 5000m recorded by a professional triathlete is this by Wilde:13.23, Yee has a PB of 13.29, Pearson 13.36, Mola 13.41.

Ajax Bay wrote:
sidelined wrote:
https://rfealive.info/Results/ResultsEvent?key=HU24%3ACO%3ACO%3A5%3A1&session=30%2F04%20Ma%C3%B1ana

Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fastest 5000m recorded by a professional triathlete is this by Wilde:13.23, Yee has a PB of 13.29, Pearson 13.36, Mola 13.41. //

You know there is no running list for these types of claims?? I mean you know the guys you know from recent history, so that is what you know. There have been many, many top runners in the sport before the recent crop of athletes, most of which you have never heard of. I see this in the swim discussions too, talking about how uncompetitive triathlete swimmers are with real ones, or cycling and how bad triathletes are in road races..Everyone just forgets about the guy that won 7 TDF's and the world championship as if he was always a cyclist. Or folks that were in the olympic swim finals, some winning medals...

Fastest 5k for a pro triathlete is 12;55 by the way, happened long before you became a fan.... OF course I could be wrong here too, but to my recollection that is the standard set by a one time pro triathlete..

• 5000 metres 12:55.76 (London, England, 30 July 2004, Oceanic Record)

Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And here is another guy I used to train with in the pool in the 90's while he was working towards his triathlon olympic dream, 3;55 mile and 13;24 5k..

https://worldathletics.org/...eg-whiteley-14254786

And we have guys that ran much faster miles than he did too!!! Low 3;50's as I recall...

And all before super shoes too, so handicapped maybe a 13;15???
Last edited by: monty: May 1, 24 8:19
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
And here is another guy I used to train with in the pool in the 90's while he was working towards his triathlon olympic dream, 3;55 mile and 13;24 5k..

https://worldathletics.org/...eg-whiteley-14254786

And we have guys that ran much faster miles than he did too!!! Low 3;50's as I recall...

And all before super shoes too, so handicapped maybe a 13;15???

I would not consider Motram as a pro triathlete at all, and the other american man you mentioned neither. I was meaning pro triathletes, but in a long basis and competing in the big races (not a former athlete turned a sort of age grouper)... The brownlees and gomez have not recorded either better PBs than Wilde or Yee...so I could suspect Paris will be the fastest run ever in triathlon? I think they are quite even. Waiting to see Blummenfelt's shape after these months...I don't think none of the frenchmen will be close to the big 2.

Last edited by: juanillo: May 1, 24 14:20
Quote Reply

Prev Next