Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
comfort inn has rooms. does not look too ghetto.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be the 7th mandatory meeting I have skipped. 7 out of 7. I tried to go once, in Mexico, and the room held 40 people, I could not get in the hallway. Skip that sucka.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cl60guy wrote:
There's a convenience/grocery store just before the bridge on your left in Dorset, and a gas station about 200m past the turn onto Brunel road in baysville, but it's on 117 so you have to go past the turn and then backtrack. There's also a microbrew and a liquor store right at the Brunel road turn in case your day isn't going well. From Baysville to Dwight there is nothing.

My prayers have been answered ! God bless
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [seadocha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also when you turn off Dwight Beach Rd and onto 35 there is a pizza/gas station/convenience store https://www.google.ca/...A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

seadocha wrote:
cl60guy wrote:
There's a convenience/grocery store just before the bridge on your left in Dorset, and a gas station about 200m past the turn onto Brunel road in baysville, but it's on 117 so you have to go past the turn and then backtrack. There's also a microbrew and a liquor store right at the Brunel road turn in case your day isn't going well. From Baysville to Dwight there is nothing.

My prayers have been answered ! God bless
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brother can't make it to Muskoka so his hotel room is up for grabs if anyone is interested. It's in Huntsville at the Super 8. The downside: it's not the closest to the race venue by a long shot but hey, it's still in town. The upside: Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights are available for cheap: $300 for all 3 nights.

Room is described as: 2 Queen Beds Room No smoking;2 Queen Bed Non-Smoking Room with free continental breakfast, microwave , refrigerator, iron, iron board, TV; Maximum occupancy: 4 people

Send me a PM if you're interested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was camping last week near the gas station. They actually have spare bike tubes supplied there by the local Huntsville Tri shop for purchase (if on the chance you've run out) Sign on the front of the building says Muskoka IM Athlete Welcome Stop. Nice to see the local community supporting not only the race but everyone who trains there throughout the Summer months

Rob

http://www.robskonadreamin.com/
https://twitter.com/KonaDreamin66
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [Kona Dreamin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the run course compare to IM Mont Tremblant?
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjh wrote:
comfort inn has rooms. does not look too ghetto.

The comfort inn is clean, and comfortable. I stayed there while officiating at the 70.3 this year. The only thing I would recommend is NOT drinking the coffee at the limited breakfast they make available on race morning... The cereal and stuff is fine, but the coffee was nasty!

Adam

Euro-Sports.ca/The Foodery Team member
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
How does the run course compare to IM Mont Tremblant?

In my view they are equivalent run courses in terms of difficulty. Tremblant has sections that appear to be flat, but that bike trail section is really a gradual downhill and a long gradual uphill that saps the legs a bit. Muskoka, you never seem to be on a flat. Always on some grade. My Tremblant 70.3 run was 1:40 and Muskoka was 1:39 (done 2 weeks apart so really the same fitness levels and body composition) . I had a much better race at Muskoka though, so maybe Muskoka is a bit tougher given that I was also slightly faster. Both Muskoka and Tremblant have tough hills in the end when you are falling apart. At least in the Tremblant 140.6, the run hills to the top of the resort go away and you only run half way up on each loop (back to the traditional course there).
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rode the course today and the out and back on seabreeze is terrible, and they've ripped up a lot of the Brunel, please tell me they're going to fix this before Ironman? It was brutle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there EnderWiggan,

Fowler Construction is working hard, and the Brunel section is scheduled to be completed before the race. Don't worry. We have been working with them, and they are well aware of the athletes training in the area and are trying to keep the repair sections as rideable as possible. I just rode Seabreeze yesterday, and am curious what you found terrible. It is as flat as you can get in Muskoka, and was in good shape.

Jon Morton
President, Triathlon Muskoka (TriMuskoka)
http://www.trimuskoka.com
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [trimuskoka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many Kms is the Seabreeze section? Do we hit it on each loop?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I rode Seabreeze too far? I went maybe 7.5km...maybe a little longer. The road had 3 pot holes coming back (hopefully they fill them) and one section was chipseal felt like I was on vibrating chair. Good to know that Brunel will be fixed for the race, any idea when it will be complete? I was planning on taking some friends on the course but don't think they'd like that section very much lol

trimuskoka wrote:
Hi there EnderWiggan,

Fowler Construction is working hard, and the Brunel section is scheduled to be completed before the race. Don't worry. We have been working with them, and they are well aware of the athletes training in the area and are trying to keep the repair sections as rideable as possible. I just rode Seabreeze yesterday, and am curious what you found terrible. It is as flat as you can get in Muskoka, and was in good shape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The course measures around 170 without seabreeze so unless they tack on extra distance the t/a should be around 5k in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm it looks like you're only supposed to go 2ish km into Seabreeze? Otherwise you end up over 180km. Here is my logic DeerHurst Resort to South Portage Rd is 9km and you only do this twice (18km total), the "loop" therefore needs to be 81km (as you do this twice, so 162km). In order to get an 81km loop you need to go about 2ish km into Seabreeze so I went WAY to far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except that the out and back on seabreeze is on loop #1 only, so double that - I am pretty sure the turn will be between 4 and 5k down seabreeze.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sure it's only on the first lap? That would be great! and makes WAY more sense. The Athlete guide doesn't say anything about it only being on the first lap... Thanks cl60

cl60guy wrote:
Except that the out and back on seabreeze is on loop #1 only, so double that - I am pretty sure the turn will be between 4 and 5k down seabreeze.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Jul 26, 15 18:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The original course description mentioned the out and back on the first loop only, I assume they plan to keep it that way as it gets the racers off the small cottage road much earlier in the day so less inconvenience for the cottages on seabreeze.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another great point, hey Rich can you confirm the out and back is only on the first lap? Much appreciated.

cl60guy wrote:
The original course description mentioned the out and back on the first loop only, I assume they plan to keep it that way as it gets the racers off the small cottage road much earlier in the day so less inconvenience for the cottages on seabreeze.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,
It is only on the first lap that you do Seabreeze. Do it twice if you want... ;)
I might go down and put a nice little "TA" there as a guide. Not official IM mark, but will give people an idea where to turn around.
R

Jon Morton
President, Triathlon Muskoka (TriMuskoka)
http://www.trimuskoka.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome thanks Rich! Update is much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
My brother can't make it to Muskoka so his hotel room is up for grabs if anyone is interested. It's in Huntsville at the Super 8. The downside: it's not the closest to the race venue by a long shot but hey, it's still in town. The upside: Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights are available for cheap: $300 for all 3 nights.

Room is described as: 2 Queen Beds Room No smoking;2 Queen Bed Non-Smoking Room with free continental breakfast, microwave , refrigerator, iron, iron board, TV; Maximum occupancy: 4 people

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Bumping this, and lowering the cost to $250. Stay in Huntsville for 3 nights for 83.33/night!
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done both Tremblant and Muskoka - and the Muskoka course is definitely the harder bike course. Tremblant's climbs are steady the the pavement is amazing - so for the most part you can cruise up them in your TT position. For Muskoka though - half the course is similar on nicely paved roads with rolling climbs, but the last leg has short leg-sapping climbs where you're in your smallest gears out of the saddle or jamming in the saddle. The pavement is also not so much in bad shape - but not fast, freshly paved asphalt.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [brusche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, having done the full in Tremblant and ridden the full in Muskoka, it's not even a comparison. The crappy roads not only steal your speed but also the constant vibration over the 180km adds up. Also, the variable nature of constantly going up and down hill after hill in Muskoka makes it even more difficult. It will be interesting to see what the Pro's put down in terms of bike split. That said, we all have to ride the same course :)

brusche wrote:
I've done both Tremblant and Muskoka - and the Muskoka course is definitely the harder bike course. Tremblant's climbs are steady the the pavement is amazing - so for the most part you can cruise up them in your TT position. For Muskoka though - half the course is similar on nicely paved roads with rolling climbs, but the last leg has short leg-sapping climbs where you're in your smallest gears out of the saddle or jamming in the saddle. The pavement is also not so much in bad shape - but not fast, freshly paved asphalt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It will be interesting to see what the Pro's put down in terms of bike split. That said, we all have to ride the same course :)

My guess is no pros make the cutoff...but that's because its an amateur-only race, no professional field ;)

My guess is only 1 or 2 crack 5 hrs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next