Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flo time savings are based on yaw angles that you are unlikely to see unless it is really windy. Dont forget we are biking 3 feet above ground level not higher up where wind speeds are reported and faster. I would guess 1 maybe 2 min time savings at the most under typical conditions. I have a Hed disc that I very rarely use - I used it once last year during a very windy local race and not at all this year. I will only bring it to Muskoka if it looks to be a really windy day.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting, I always thought disc beats everything no matter the conditions. That said, I don't know much about yaw angles

Scott_B wrote:
Flo time savings are based on yaw angles that you are unlikely to see unless it is really windy. Dont forget we are biking 3 feet above ground level not higher up where wind speeds are reported and faster. I would guess 1 maybe 2 min time savings at the most under typical conditions. I have a Hed disc that I very rarely use - I used it once last year during a very windy local race and not at all this year. I will only bring it to Muskoka if it looks to be a really windy day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that is going to be true except for uphill races. The time savings may be slight which means that some, myself included, would rather not deal with the hassles of a disc (e.g., I can bring a 80 mm spare tube which works for both my front and rear standard race wheels, however, a 80 mm tube will not work with my disc - I need a crack pipe to inflate my disc). There is also the embarrassment of being passed by granny on her upright bike carrying a basket of groceries while I am trying to hammer it on my TT bike with a disc. Somehow the level of shame is lower without a disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect! Thank very much. I installed Salt sticks on both my wife's bike and mine for our test run of the Muskoka bike course recently and used them again on our long ride in the Gats last weekend. She was dropping one 200 mg salt tab an hour and I was doing two with no GI issues so I think that will carry us through fine. I appreciate the help.

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming" Finding Nemo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a lead on a room / accommodation arr 28/08 dep 31/08? My booking at Deerhurst fell through.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call the hotels directly, I was on a waiting list at rodeway and got a call, but already had another room
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dave, also look back in this thread, a few people had rooms to get rid of...

davetallo wrote:
Does anyone have a lead on a room / accommodation arr 28/08 dep 31/08? My booking at Deerhurst fell through.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [SubaruTriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Greg,

First, thanks for all your reply's. My question is: Will the swim course be set up on Friday and or Saturday for a practice swim? If not, are we allowed to go for practice swims given it is Deerhurst Resort a Golf Course......in respect of the corals, I'm confused by "going back to the end of the line comment" does this mean there is one massive long line with fastest coral is at the front? Does this mean if we practice swim in the morning before gun goes off, and come out of the water 20 mins before gun time, we cant get into the fastest coral without going all the way to the back of the line and moving our way through the crowd?

Thanks

SubaruTriathlon wrote:
Hey Scott - I look forward to meeting you in Huntsville.

For the swim start - if you want to warm up you can - you will have to go to the back of the line. If you want to make your way through the line to your goal time staging area you can. We plan to have the swim corral marked with swim times so you should be swimming with similar speed athletes.

As for the special needs bags - the pick up area for the special needs on the run is very near the finish line. You will be able to get that bag back with your number bib/bracelet. As for Red Bull - I suggest that if you have special needs then you place it in the special needs bags:)

Lastly - you are correct - shoes can be clipped on your bike race morning. All athletes are required to pass through the change area inside Deerhurst Resort after the swim and the bike.

The athlete meeting Friday night will go through all of this - hope to see you attend.

Greg Nicol
Race Announcer
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Aug 20, 15 12:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Scott - We are not planning on any formal swims and I do not believe the course will be set up until late Saturday or early race morning. Athletes are not to swim near the swim exit as it is on Deerhurst's the golf course. If you are staying at Deerhurst then you will need to check with them about swim venue opportunities. Trimuskoka.com has an event planned too.

As for the swim start - warm up question. If you want to go for a swim prior to the race then you will have to enter into the swim start at the back. You can work your way through the crowd to get to your goal time corral. There are 1400+ athletes in the corrals that will be also waiting their turn to start their journey to be an Ironman.

Look forward to seeing everyone next week.

Greg Nicol
Race Announcer

World Endurance Canada Inc.
Vineland Station, ON
info@trisportcanada.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SubaruTriathlon wrote:
Hey Scott - We are not planning on any formal swims and I do not believe the course will be set up until late Saturday or early race morning. Athletes are not to swim near the swim exit as it is on Deerhurst's the golf course. If you are staying at Deerhurst then you will need to check with them about swim venue opportunities. Trimuskoka.com has an event planned too.

As for the swim start - warm up question. If you want to go for a swim prior to the race then you will have to enter into the swim start at the back. You can work your way through the crowd to get to your goal time corral. There are 1400+ athletes in the corrals that will be also waiting their turn to start their journey to be an Ironman.

Greg Nicol
Race Announcer

Greg, can you confirm if registrations close on Sunday 1 week before the race like for the 70.3, or will you take registrations up to Satuday 24 hrs before?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, are you having second thoughts about going to 70.3 Worlds?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Greg, very much appreciate the prompt response.

SubaruTriathlon wrote:

Greg Nicol
Race Announcer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the ironman Muskoka fb group the swim volunteer captain posted that warm ups are ok, but all athletes have to be out of the water by 630. For the rolling start about 20-30 athletes will be allowed onto the beach at a time and it sounds like the spacing between each group is such that everybody is in the water by 7. Corals are sub 1hr, then 10 minute increments up to the final coral 2h+. What I really hope is that they make it abundantly clear at the meetings, morning briefing etc. that you don't get extra time by starting early or I foresee a lot of close to cutoff folks going first coral thinking it buys them an extra 15 minutes. You cross a timing mat on the beach and you have 2:20 from that time as I understand it.
I am not really thrilled about having to squeeze past 1400 people if I want to do a swim warmup. Hopefully people are cool about this since it works better for everyone if people are seeded correctly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
Dev, are you having second thoughts about going to 70.3 Worlds?

I think if my flights were not booked, I'd be racing with you guys in Muskoka in 11 days, but it's off to 70.3 WC. The question was for a friend who is about to push the registration button after a broken chain in Tremblant!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 21, 15 8:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:

Coast hotels, I just talked to them and it sounded like a group fell through IE 10 or more rooms available…IIRC price around 200$ Can or so.

I needed a room in a rush for my parents but just got Hidden Valley for a "reasonable" price….funny how we are racing and staying at the Econo Lodge ;-)

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Greg, can you confirm if registrations close on Sunday 1 week before the race like for the 70.3, or will you take registrations up to Satuday 24 hrs before?

Interested in the answer to this as well. I'd love to do the race but can't confirm my calendar for another couple of days.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [caius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caius wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Interested in the answer to this as well. I'd love to do the race but can't confirm my calendar for another couple of days.

Without an answer, I THINK the WTC standard procedure is registration closes at midnight on Sunday...but it MAY be midnight on Saturday....and I don't know what time zone's midnight is used. I told one of the local guys to not waffle and just register (he did last night) to be safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are correct - registration closes Sunday August 23rd at 11:59pm. If you have not decided yet time is running out. Good price for Americans due to the low Canadian dollar. Registration is approximately $531USD at today's exchange rate. Hotel`s, food and refreshments not included. trimuskoka.com have a big week planned in Huntsville.

I look forward to seeing all of you at the welcome meeting Friday in downtown Huntsville - going to be fun hosting with Lisa Bentley!

Greg Nicol

Vineland Station, ON
info@trisportcanada.com
Last edited by: SubaruTriathlon: Aug 22, 15 6:42
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi - the issue you mention about swim times and DNF`s will be made very clear at the athlete presentation Friday night. You are right - if you are thinking getting in the water earlier gains you time then you are wrong. You have 2hrs and 20mins from the time you cross the start mat. If you take longer than 2hrs and 20mins you will get a dnf beside your time. The swim course will close at 9:20am. Good luck to all. You will be an IRONMAN!

Greg Nicol

Vineland Station, ON
info@trisportcanada.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Greg, Dev for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg,

I have been given a special athlete check in Saturday morning. Will most of the information from the Friday night session be repeated at the Saturday morning athletes meeting?
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [Deak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Saturday presentation will not be as good as the Friday night presentation. If you have any questions bring them to me after the Saturday 11am briefing.

Greg

Vineland Station, ON
info@trisportcanada.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race week is here!!! hope everyone is feeling great and ready to race! Looking like a great weather weekend too. Any word on water temp?
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [MTranquilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just began my beer taper as of Saturday (or was that early Sunday). Feel like crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
me too, no beer or caffeine :(, replaced by beet juice

off at a tangent here, clearly this is a very tough bike course, how many people if any will go under 5 hours anyone ?
Quote Reply

Prev Next