Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [BoomBox73] [ In reply to ]

I think there should be a listing of the sponsors of such people so we can use our discretion in throwing dollars their way. It's time for ALL of us to step up and say we won't take this. Perhaps staying away from the people who support such dopers will eventually have an effect.

BoomBox73 wrote:
What strikes me and convinces me that Michi Weiss did dope is...if I was wrongly accused of cheating I would likely fight it until my death and so would thousands of others. Michi doesn't seemingly do this. I would confront every single question thrown at me, present everything 10 x's over to justify my innocence and would then sue for all it was worth the negative effect a wrongly convicted doping allegation has on my life, yet Michi doesn't.

I think it is time to face facts. Choosing to be upfront with ST users is proving more damning than was probably first thought. Any person, company or corporation involved in the use of professional athletes as endorsee's should take a long hard look at themselves before and consider the baggage it brings with it.

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [prattzc] [ In reply to ]

prattzc wrote:
It is what it is, take it or leave it, but we are wasting our time tring to detail it more than it already is.

At this point you either forgive and move forward or you don't forgive and still move forward.

I'm sure for business purposes michi needs to say as little as possible about it. You can either take it or leave it, but you can't get blood from a stone.

I personally would shun any business that is my competition if they were found to be giving gifts to potential or current customers (military related, big no-no). I would also want to make sure the customer was fully aware of the business' transgressions. But I wouldn't keep badgering the company if they were found guilty and paid their due, I just would make sure they couldn't affect me negatively in the future.

I see that as being the same in this situation.

I appreciate the effort but I don't find that scenario analogous with this situation. I see little to no downside in regards to sponsors for a convicted doper to acknowledge that he doped. The horse has escaped and the barn has already burned to the ground. I do see a huge upside to being more direct and up front about what happened as opposed to this clumsy equivocating. The only issue I could potentially see limiting what he can say would be some form of legal liability but can't think of what that could possibly be.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Here's my question for Michi.

As you probably saw, on Sunday, there were many hundreds of people egregiously cheating at IM Cozumel by drafting. Given the strong winds, the people riding in draft packs will have gained an advantage over the people riding clean (that would be me) far greater than any PED could provide - you will have experienced the headwind on the East side of the island yourself, but not its full strength since you were finished before it got really bad. Some of these cheaters have even written about their drafting in race reports on blogs, and there will be many people racing at Kona next year who gained their places by cheating. Firstly, do you have any thoughts on why cheating with PEDs attracts such vitriol in triathlon when cheating by drafting is relatively tolerated, and secondly do you have any suggestions for how to deal with these draft packs? At the moment it's very difficult for the marshals because they can only give out one penalty at a time and that gives the other 25 people in the pace line time to split up for a while.

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [RobK] [ In reply to ]

Well one thing you could do is create two classifications. Blatant drafting, and other. 2x-3x blantant drafting or blatant violations in total (ie in combo with outside assistance, littering) should be a 2-4 year ban. Sending strong messages goes a long way to deter. The other thing you can do is choose smaller races in general, and also choose harder races with significant climbs to separate things a bit. Races like Coz, IMFL, AZ are going to have more problems with drafting. Especially so with Coz and AZ as they are 3 loops.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [michi_weiss] [ In reply to ]

One final question for Michi: Can you shed some light on this tweet that was posted during your IM Cozumel victory? This isn't past related, it isn't doping related it is relating to your impressive win at IM Cozumel of which I am confident you will be able to shed some light one. Thanks

Posted by @DKLatourette

Not surprised, but disappointed, to see @michi_weiss drafting the lead moto @ IMCoz. 1st IM back after 2 yr ban. @BinkMarino, Llanos @3:30

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]

Legal and financial liability is what I was implying. Might be a clause with sponsors. Since we don't know full details of admission of guilt (any asterisks) we don't know of any further complications.

I personally just rather applause people like Rapp, Luke, Potts, and others that are more "heroes" of the sport.

I, like others I'm sure, can't stand the thought of doping and don't care to know more about those that do. I don't like the idea that Dan gave him this platform when I feel we should turn our backs. But I'm not dan, this isn't my website, and I'm not an athlete that has to compete against michi. So the best I can do is not invest any time into him. What else can you or I do?

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [prattzc] [ In reply to ]

prattzc wrote:
Legal and financial liability is what I was implying. Might be a clause with sponsors. Since we don't know full details of admission of guilt (any asterisks) we don't know of any further complications.

I personally just rather applause people like Rapp, Luke, Potts, and others that are more "heroes" of the sport.

I, like others I'm sure, can't stand the thought of doping and don't care to know more about those that do. I don't like the idea that Dan gave him this platform when I feel we should turn our backs. But I'm not dan, this isn't my website, and I'm not an athlete that has to compete against michi. So the best I can do is not invest any time into him. What else can you or I do?

No, you're right, there is nothing we can do to compel to bend to our wishes, I just REALLY dislike people who hide behind half truths and then tell me to get over it.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Slowman wrote:
you would be astounded at the trouble herbert has compiling his top-15 at kona lists.

Maybe it should be the top 10 at Kona, and then the next 5 comes from the first 5 to respond, messaging everyone to begin with. It gives those a chance who are willing to hustle a bit a chance to increase their brand.

Excellent idea Thomas. I second this.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?

Slowman wrote:

if you look at the list of athletes in your post, fine me ONE who we have not interviewed on slowtwitch. is there one? i can't think of one. however, we cannot force them to answer your questions on the reader forum. it takes the special person, who is involved in the special outreach, to do so. you know who i'd sponsor, today, if i were a bike sponsor, beyond jordan rapp? brandon marsh. why? because of all the pros, this guy does more behind the scenes, is more involved, does more on this forum, he leverages his talent about as far as he can. the movember calendar initiative, the men of triathlon? that was brilliant. the very first thing i'd do, if i was looking for an athlete to sponsor, is see who on that calendar is available (brandon being one).

I'm really only posting to this thread to quote the above because it is recognition that a lot of people in the industry do not see.

In the grand scheme of things, I am still chasing a win at a pro race, and when I retire my results will be forgotten in a hurry. But, what Dan says above has been the challenge for pros who are not at the top of the field, because behind the scenes 'stuff' doesn't get noticed unless someone like Dan points it out. When you've got a bunch of top-10s and top-5s with no win, it's tough to get sponsors who 'pay' much beyond product/bonuses regardless of how you try to market the behind the scenes activity. So, when an athlete like Michael Weiss, who does not appear to be repentant about 'whatever happened in the past', wipes the floor with some pretty good athletes his first race out, yeah it pisses me off. He's taking money, exposure, and maybe future sponsorships from athletes who are, by all indications thus far, clean.

I don't have anything to add that anyone here hasn't already said or asked of Michael Weiss. And, they are the questions that he doesn't seem to want to answer.

I fully support the guys like Matt and Trev who were so 'unprofessional' via twitter. I don't like the idea of Dan giving a 'nice guy' who is also a doper a voice here on this forum. Dan and I can agree to disagree on this topic. But, I'll continue to post here and take lumps along the way like I have on some of the 'controversial' threads. And, regardless of Dan's stance on whether or not he thinks that this is furthering the sport of triathlon, I'll continue to do what I can on the course and behind the scenes to try to make the sport better for all involved.

And yeah, the Movember calendar was fun. It was different. It takes away a little bit of the 'boring' nature of pro triathletes. Chris Corbin, Jesse Thomas, and Matt Lieto had the biggest part in that. I was just the real Texan.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]

Michi Weiss I find it disrespectful that you challenge the professionalism of those athletes committed to standing up for what is right. Whether they do it with use of foul language is their own choice. The use of foul language will have no negative effect on a companies view towards an athlete. Not in the fight against doping at least. Please understand we feel emotionally attached to this. It angers/saddens many of us deeply. A 2-year suspension, weighs heavily on the minds of many. Me included. Personally it will be difficult for me to credit your actions in the future, I likely never will. Please respect that.

London 2012 Olympian : 6 x IRONMAN 70.3 Winner : 2014 Challenge Bahrain Champion : 2014 Hy-Vee 5150 Champion : Master of Human Nutrition - Twitter: @helle_f Facebook: /helletri Web: hellefrederiksen.com

Sponsors: Uplace-BMC Pro Triathlon - Nike - Sands Beach Active - NormaTec - Bragi - Hotbox Roasters

Slowman wrote:
"
so, sorry to take your post off on a tangent, but there is a LOT more to this discussion of athlete integrity and professionalism that simply who gets on what podium, who rides his bike faster or slower, and so forth. to bring this back around, i allowed michi to address you because so many other pros do not take the opportunity to address you. but i also will not censor out categories of questions you'll want to pose to him.

Do you regret giving Weiss the opportunity or did you always have an understanding that he would not answer any questions regarding his suspension? Seems like this thread gives him the opportunity to turn a blind(or brown?) eye to his past and answer the cozy questions. Is this good for pro sport?

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]

Totally agree. There is always a little bit of truth in a lie, and a little bit of a lie in the truth. And then there are those too timid to stand up, admit guilt, and then be completely open in order to get back into good graces.

Unfortunately the process is not mistake proofed. We have to voice our suggestions on how to improve the current process. Time for a tri-kaizen burst!!!

I'll order the pizza!!

michi_weiss wrote:
thirstygreek wrote:
What's your favorite beer?

In Austria: Stiegl from Salzburg.
In US: Shipyard from Maine.
In general: Hefeweizen.

I also like non-alcoholic beers, which we have a lot in Austria/Germany, even in the Weizen-version. It's actually my favorite recovery drink!

This right here might be the biggest travesty of this whole thread.

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [tucktri] [ In reply to ]

tucktri wrote:
michi_weiss wrote:
thirstygreek wrote:
What's your favorite beer?

In Austria: Stiegl from Salzburg.
In US: Shipyard from Maine.
In general: Hefeweizen.

I also like non-alcoholic beers, which we have a lot in Austria/Germany, even in the Weizen-version. It's actually my favorite recovery drink!

This right here might be the biggest travesty of this whole thread.

Couldnt agree more. Completely egregious. In US:Shipard? There are several better breweries in Portland alone.

BoomBox73 wrote:
One final question for Michi: Can you shed some light on this tweet that was posted during your IM Cozumel victory? This isn't past related, it isn't doping related it is relating to your impressive win at IM Cozumel of which I am confident you will be able to shed some light one. Thanks

Posted by @DKLatourette

Not surprised, but disappointed, to see @michi_weiss drafting the lead moto @ IMCoz. 1st IM back after 2 yr ban. @BinkMarino, Llanos @3:30

I believe that tweet is doping related. He is saying that he is disappointed to see a doper leading athletes he respects in the race.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]

Actually I read that tweet as Michi is willing to do whatever it takes to win, doping or drafting. Once a cheat always a cheat!
In Reply To:

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [helle_f] [ In reply to ]

Tusen takk Helle. Det var et viktig innlegg.

Thanks for standing up for the clean athletes and a clean sport.

Michi,

Thanks for being here answering question, some easy to answer... others not so easy.

I do have a "not so easy" one for you, I'll try and ask it as politely as possible and hopefully you'll take the time to try and answer. I'm not asking to blame you (the rules are the rules and as they are you have every right to come back even though it doesn't necessarily make me super happy) but mostly because I'd like your oppinion as an athlete directly concerned by a come back after being suspended.

I used to race at quite a good level in MTB, not as good as you were... but not bad, we even met at Sea Otter Classic a few years ago while we were still both racing elite MTB races. I also race Xterra so got to see you in Maui too even though we haven't talked again on those Xterra races.
Anyway, having raced MTB and being around very good pros, I've seen some athletes with changes from doping that will NEVER go away. It tends to prove my feeling that doping at some point in a carreer can provide A LIFETIME advantage. So even when an athlete is banned (for two years for example) and come back clean and race clean from then, I'm not really sure it's a fair race anymore between a clean athlete who has always been clean and an athlete who is back after doping and suspension and who now races clean. I know you said you want to look forward... and I know you never really told exactly what you did wrong "back in the days"... and I'm also sure you are working very hard to be such a strong athlete. But let's imagine for a second you did do something wrong at some point, don't you think you race today with an unfair advantage ? And no matter how clean for you race in the future this question will stand ?

Thanks for considering my question.
Pyf

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Slowman wrote:
you would be astounded at the trouble herbert has compiling his top-15 at kona lists.

Maybe it should be the top 10 at Kona, and then the next 5 comes from the first 5 to respond, messaging everyone to begin with. It gives those a chance who are willing to hustle a bit a chance to increase their brand. And thanks for calling up and reporting that tip on the suspected doper.

This is a decent idea but how about this. I know Dan likes having pros post here. Why not have ST plug the guys who are regulars here? You, Rapp, Brandon, etc. I don't want to say have a blogroll but maybe they publish your posts here somewhere on the site? Maybe it would encourage more pros to interact here. Would be good all around I would think.

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]

I guess since there is nothing really productive coming fron the original thread and Dan ,rightly so ,is already moving away from it. Brandon's post kind of shows, why I always think the truth is between Sutton and Dan wether pros should make money from sponosrship or racing. It needs to be a mix.

Here we have an athlete that Dan called an model athlete to be sponsored, who works really hard for his sponsors, yet the truth is its very hard for those athletes to make the money from sponsorship, as well.
Michael is certainly a talented athlete at the same time if Bjorn and Brandom had taken the same way Michael kindly admits between the lines, where would those athletes be now?
I wager they could most likely have doubled their maybe trippled their income around 2005.

-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
Slowman wrote:

if you look at the list of athletes in your post, fine me ONE who we have not interviewed on slowtwitch. is there one? i can't think of one. however, we cannot force them to answer your questions on the reader forum. it takes the special person, who is involved in the special outreach, to do so. you know who i'd sponsor, today, if i were a bike sponsor, beyond jordan rapp? brandon marsh. why? because of all the pros, this guy does more behind the scenes, is more involved, does more on this forum, he leverages his talent about as far as he can. the movember calendar initiative, the men of triathlon? that was brilliant. the very first thing i'd do, if i was looking for an athlete to sponsor, is see who on that calendar is available (brandon being one).

I'm really only posting to this thread to quote the above because it is recognition that a lot of people in the industry do not see.

In the grand scheme of things, I am still chasing a win at a pro race, and when I retire my results will be forgotten in a hurry. But, what Dan says above has been the challenge for pros who are not at the top of the field, because behind the scenes 'stuff' doesn't get noticed unless someone like Dan points it out. When you've got a bunch of top-10s and top-5s with no win, it's tough to get sponsors who 'pay' much beyond product/bonuses regardless of how you try to market the behind the scenes activity. So, when an athlete like Michael Weiss, who does not appear to be repentant about 'whatever happened in the past', wipes the floor with some pretty good athletes his first race out, yeah it pisses me off. He's taking money, exposure, and maybe future sponsorships from athletes who are, by all indications thus far, clean.

I don't have anything to add that anyone here hasn't already said or asked of Michael Weiss. And, they are the questions that he doesn't seem to want to answer.

I fully support the guys like Matt and Trev who were so 'unprofessional' via twitter. I don't like the idea of Dan giving a 'nice guy' who is also a doper a voice here on this forum. Dan and I can agree to disagree on this topic. But, I'll continue to post here and take lumps along the way like I have on some of the 'controversial' threads. And, regardless of Dan's stance on whether or not he thinks that this is furthering the sport of triathlon, I'll continue to do what I can on the course and behind the scenes to try to make the sport better for all involved.

And yeah, the Movember calendar was fun. It was different. It takes away a little bit of the 'boring' nature of pro triathletes. Chris Corbin, Jesse Thomas, and Matt Lieto had the biggest part in that. I was just the real Texan.

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [pyf] [ In reply to ]

pyf wrote:
Anyway, having raced MTB and being around very good pros, I've seen some athletes with changes from doping that will NEVER go away. It tends to prove my feeling that doping at some point in a carreer can provide A LIFETIME advantage. So even when an athlete is banned (for two years for example) and come back clean and race clean from then, I'm not really sure it's a fair race anymore between a clean athlete who has always been clean and an athlete who is back after doping and suspension and who now races clean. I know you said you want to look forward... and I know you never really told exactly what you did wrong "back in the days"... and I'm also sure you are working very hard to be such a strong athlete. But let's imagine for a second you did do something wrong at some point, don't you think you race today with an unfair advantage ? And no matter how clean for you race in the future this question will stand ?

Some enlightening extra-credit reading (granted, not about EPO, but it might explain why some dopers used anabolics):
http://www.sciencedaily.com/.../10/131027205618.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...rcise,%20j%20physiol

BoomBox73 wrote:

Posted by @DKLatourette

Not surprised, but disappointed, to see @michi_weiss drafting the lead moto @ IMCoz. 1st IM back after 2 yr ban. [urbl "https://twitter.com/BinkMarino"]@BinkMarino[/url], Llanos @3:30

Not that this has anything to do with this thread but I always wonder WTF you expect the athlete to do in in this situation? If the lead moto is too close to the lead cyclist, that is on the motorcycle driver, not the athlete. Should the athlete slow down? If the motorcycle keeps getting slower and slower should the athlete do the same "to not draft?" Should the athlete pass the moto? If the athlete speeds up the motorcycle will too.

Again, this supposed offense is on the race officials/motorcycle driver, not the racer. Nice effort at slinging mud. To me, that tweet sounds like sour grapes from someone who just got eaten alive on the bike.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [helle_f] [ In reply to ]

Helle, thank you for speaking up in this space.

helle_f wrote:
Michi Weiss I find it disrespectful that you challenge the professionalism of those athletes committed to standing up for what is right. Whether they do it with use of foul language is their own choice. The use of foul language will have no negative effect on a companies view towards an athlete. Not in the fight against doping at least. Please understand we feel emotionally attached to this. It angers/saddens many of us deeply. A 2-year suspension, weighs heavily on the minds of many. Me included. Personally it will be difficult for me to credit your actions in the future, I likely never will. Please respect that.

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [Snigg] [ In reply to ]

"Do you regret giving Weiss the opportunity or did you always have an understanding that he would not answer any questions regarding his suspension?"

let me make this personal, so that you get an idea where i'm coming from. kevin moats is in my age group. he and i have been in the same AG for 20 years, we'll be in the same AG for 20 more. do i like the fact that he has been taking testosterone and racing those of us in our AG, while none of us had this advantage? no. do i like his rear view mirror and everything that mirror seems to me to imply? no. but if kevin asked to come on the slowtwitch forum and address you all, i would say yes, kevin, you may, with the understanding that all questions from all comers on all topics are fair game.

i don't know how kevin might address the questions he'd get, and i did not know how michi would address the questions he's gotten. but i have a pretty good idea of the nature of the questions that would be forthcoming.

my loyalty is not to the michi weisses of the world nor to the clean professional mountain bikers who were the victims of what michi was found to have done. my loyalty and responsibility is to the readers of slowtwitch and that very rarely includes shielding any tri-related subjects and discussions from you.

what we editorially cover - including who we interview - yeah, i'll exercise a bit more editorial parsing over that. but when it comes to the digital water cooler of the sport, where you all gather to talk about whatever it is you want to talk about, as long as it's civil, and triathlon-related, i will always err on the side of allowing you folks to choose who it is you want to talk to and about.

i can't imagine who would ask to talk to you that i'd deny. who's the worst i can envision, in the doping world? maybe michele ferrari. if he asked to speak directly on the forum to slowtwitchers, i'd talk to herbert and jordan and gain their counsel but if you're asking me my own sense of it - my best guess - i imagine i'd say yes, as long as slowtwitchers could ask any questions they wanted.

does that answer your question?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [relentless] [ In reply to ]

Ok, I get why you won't answer this now. It's because you still won't admit that you doped. If you didn't dope, then just say you didn't. Or are we going to have to wait for you make an appearance on "O" to make that announcement?

relentless wrote:
I know you only want to look forward, but that's close to impossible without looking back (given the past and just coming off a 2yr ban). My question is this:

1. Do you think your doping had an effect on your win? Meaning were the physical enhancements/benefits from doping still showing. When you stopped, did the benefits drop off completely? Did you return to your pre-doping form and abilities?

1a. Or if you answer that the effects of doping had nothing to do with your win, were you concentrating purely on power/speed during the 2yr ban, basically a long 2yr offseason training regiment to specifically focus on power and speed instead of endurance?

2. What made you cross the line to start doping? How will you not cross that line again?

thanks!