Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Slowman wrote:
"I find the puritanical attitude of many triathletes to be curious. Doping exists in triathlon, just as it does in cycling and any other professional sport. Is it "cleaner" than others. I have no idea....but the assertions that triathlon is a clean sport is just not aligned with reality."

that's really not true. triathlon is a demonstrably cleaner sport. it's an obviously cleaner sport. and i have no problem with these pro athletes actively campaigning for a clean sport and i also have no problem with them expressing, publicly, their displeasure over a ban they felt was too light and i think this public outcry is one symptom of a cleaner sport. i think they could be more effective at expressing their displeasure. but i think they're entirely right to be engaged. in fact, i wish they were more engaged (see post above).

Dan, I don't believe I said any of those things. FWIW, I do believe that triathlon is "cleaner" than cycling.....but I don't know it. And I'm not certain how you can say it is "demonstrably" cleaner....by fewer negative doping tests? I think the history of anti-doping efforts has shown how little that can mean. But let's not pretend that triathlon is "clean."

I also think these athletes are right to be engaged.....but ranting at MW after IMCOZ is not productive. As you have noted as well, they need to engage with WADA, WTC and ITU.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [Power13] [ In reply to ]

Where did I ascribe anything to your post? I'm explaining why I think it's important to raise this issue publicly as well. You don't agree with that which is fine.

If you actually read my posts I've never stated I didn't accept the fact that he can race. What I'm against the whole system that lets 'ex'-dopers back into the sport so easily. This goes beyond the rules and I see non acceptance, again, as another deterrent against doping. If you don't have an arena you can't play. Doesn't mean I don't think it's important to push WADA etc for harsher punishments as well.

Also never stated triathlon was clean. I do think it's not quite as organized or as bad as some other sports yet though.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [bjorn] [ In reply to ]

bjorn wrote:
Where did I ascribe anything to your post? I'm explaining why I think it's important to raise this issue publicly as well. You don't agree with that which is fine..

Pease re-read what I wrote.....I do think the issue should be raised publicly.....but towards the right entities. Ranting against MW personally, as many have, does not solve the issue.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Slowman wrote:

day after tomorrow i am attending a board meeting of an organization i helped found 4 years ago. it's called triathlon business international. its founding members include IMG, active.com, blueseventy, 2XU, competitor group, de soto, WTC, champion system, orbea/orca, tricalifornia (i.e., wildflower), Rev3, Mike Reilly (voice of Ironman), a number of races belonging to the Life Time series, owners of the Los Angeles Triathlon, and others. we quietly work (well, less quietly now, since i'm posting this) with WTC, and the ITU, and USAT, on rules issues.
i wrote the current rule that tells you, helle, and you, bjorn, exactly how you can legally sit aboard your bikes. i am very interested in helmet certification reciprocity. we have face-to-face meetings with the ITU's technical chair on rules that attend wetsuit manufacture and the rules for bikes.

i have, from the beginning of this organization's existence, asked pro athletes to become a part of it. we are "industry" and that includes race directors, race service providers, manufacturers, media, coaches, retailers and, one assumes, pro triathletes. all these other categories are included in our group. there are many members and interested parties in all these channels or silos except... pro triathletes.

I'll help if there's anything I can do. Haven't heard of it before.

Last edited by: bjorn: Dec 8, 13 9:05

Power13 wrote:
bjorn wrote:
Where did I ascribe anything to your post? I'm explaining why I think it's important to raise this issue publicly as well. You don't agree with that which is fine..

Pease re-read what I wrote.....I do think the issue should be raised publicly.....but towards the right entities. Ranting against MW personally, as many have, does not solve the issue.

This is not really going anywhere but like I said before I think showing doping athletes that the behavior is not accepted amongst peers is important too. It will probably not change him but if enough people stand up it might become easier for other athletes to make the right decisions in the future. Again this has been a big part of the problem with cycling.

I realize I am on the outside looking it at all of this but I have one question. How has something the Michi did or maybe didn't do over 9 years ago when he wasn't even competing as a triathlete affecting your personal lives or the sport of Triathlon? I guess I just may not understand but why is it even being brought up? I would guess that anyone of you that drinks alcohol has driven with a blood alcohol content that is above the legal limit. Do you think that since it's in your past you should go to the police station now and turn yourself in? You driving intoxicated could have ruined lives forever. Now this is way off topic but just goes to show how some of you self righteous people act as if you have never made a mistake.. Get over it. And forget about it. Michi obviously has and so have the people that imposed the ban on him. Now if you think the rules are to relaxed by all means speak up and try and change it. But trying to ruin a guys career that has already done his time is not right...

Power13 wrote:
Bjorn, you, dforbes and hell ear ascribing meaning to my posts that are not there. People are free to forgive and forget as they see fit. I am not advocating that anyone forgive MW for his past.

What you do have to do is accept the fact that he is now racing legally after his suspension has been served. Wailing against him in social media serves no purpose. If you disagree with the rules, wail against WADA, WTC and the ITU.

Quite honestly, I find the puritanical attitude of many triathletes to be curious. Doping exists in triathlon, just as it does in cycling and any other professional sport. Is it "cleaner" than others. I have no idea....but the assertions that triathlon is a clean sport is just not aligned with reality.

I do accept the fact that he is racing legally, please do not ascribe meaning to MY post that is not there. Wailing against him in social media serves a huge purpose, peer pressure. It is something that everyone has fallen victim too whether good or bad. People are more apt to listen to peers' judgement than anyone else's. If pros see the distaste towards dopers by other pros, its just another deterrent, which is good. I just like the fact that pro triathletes are being vocal where many other pro sports support a code of silence. That's all I'm saying.

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter

I think the reason to bring up these issues publicly with respect to individual athletes, in addition to engaging the governing bodies, is all about maintaining a culture in triathlon that is abhorrent of doping and dopers. When it is clear to those coming into the sport that those that have the least respect and are ostracized the most are dopers, it will help to ensure that more competitors race fair. I do not think it has anything to do with trying to change Michi's behavior - he has made his choices. It has to do with influencing the behavior of others in the future. I think that is what Bjorn is trying to say.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook

[quote bjorn Why he gets a lot of those opinions here is probably because he doesn't admit any fault or show any regret and doesn't seem willing to answer the questions that might help anti doping. It's his right to not do so but I don't think he can expect to be accepted and admired for his current and future results as quickly with that attitude.[/quote]
Thats the thing that bothers me most about it if you want to move forward. The other posts about it not mattering bc he stopped doping also bothers the hell out of me from a scientific perspective. I personally think they should have to go to lazy camp and get out of shape or something along with a ban.

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [lacofdfireman] [ In reply to ]

lacofdfireman wrote:
Get over it. And forget about it. Michi obviously has

I promise that Michi has not forgotten about it nor has he gotten over it. He is just really hoping that everyone else does. But I bet he feels pretty tortured about it inside.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook

Nice long post Dan, and I look forward to tomorrow's article. You and I date back to about the same time frame in triathlon, but living in the midwest instead of the hotbed of tri in SD didn't make for easy involvement for me. Yet, I am to this day in love with the sport, and want so much to help. As I am also not a wealthy man, and struggle to make ends meet and occasionally race, I would love to help the sport in any way I can. I can offer my time, and if you think of anything I can do to help the sport move forward I would be indebted.

Keep up the good fight…..

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [adambeston] [ In reply to ]

Ha! That's the solution! 4- years of forced couch sitting and bon-bon eating while watching re-runs of "Real Housewives of New Jersey" and "Honey Boo-boo"

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]

RowToTri wrote:
watching re-runs of "Real Housewives of New Jersey" and "Honey Boo-boo"

oh come on we don't want them to commit suicide.

"I'll help if there's anything I can do. Haven't heard of it before."

you might have heard of "triathlon america." this was that organization's original name. it became obvious very quickly that we blundered, because we had certain board members - IMG is probably the most obvious, but, there are plenty of others - where the business interests of the organization's members were global and could not be confined to the U.S. so we changed the name eventually, and triathlon business international (TBI) is the organization's current name.

we have a conference in late january. somehow, some way, whether on the actual agenda or not (i'm happy to help carve out space on the agenda), there ought to be a conclave of pros or those representing pros. you are a powerful voice, because you're international, you're european, you are exceptionally well spoken, you write in english more eloquently than most pros who have english as their first language, and your instincts and sensibilities are in the right place. you need to be on this committee, and this needs to be a committee that is the official committee of pros on TBI.

this is, in my view, the tactical mistake made by brett sutton. understand what TBI is. see who the founding members are. they are not all aligned with a common interest. a committee of professional athletes that is the official voice of athletes in this organization will hold powerful sway.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]

perhaps when they are allowed to return there would be a percentage of their earnings held in a fund to go to doping efforts…..a LARGE percentage. Unike the drafting penalties, make it substantial enough to discourage going that route. 4 years, plus loss of 70% of earnings…..hit where it counts.

lacofdfireman wrote:
I realize I am on the outside looking it at all of this but I have one question. How has something the Michi did or maybe didn't do over 9 years ago when he wasn't even competing as a triathlete affecting your personal lives or the sport of Triathlon? I guess I just may not understand but why is it even being brought up? I would guess that anyone of you that drinks alcohol has driven with a blood alcohol content that is above the legal limit. Do you think that since it's in your past you should go to the police station now and turn yourself in? You driving intoxicated could have ruined lives forever. Now this is way off topic but just goes to show how some of you self righteous people act as if you have never made a mistake.. Get over it. And forget about it. Michi obviously has and so have the people that imposed the ban on him. Now if you think the rules are to relaxed by all means speak up and try and change it. But trying to ruin a guys career that has already done his time is not right...

Say what? Why must anyone who have ever been intoxicated also have driven while under the influence? Where I come from that's definitely not the case.. I don't know where to begin with your analogy because the comparison is fairly ridiculous, but if you drive intoxicated and hurt or kill someone I expect there to be repercussions. If you kill someone, never admits it and show no remorse I also think it'll be a bit harder to be accepted back into society. It's on a different scale but if Weiss admitted and showed remorse he'd at least get some more respect from people.

The reason why I and many others won't get over it is because we'd like to see a clean sport and bringing attention to it is one of many ways to help with that. And respectfully I have to say that no one ruined his career but himself if it happens(which I don't think).

Last edited by: bjorn: Dec 8, 13 9:38

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]

Grant.Reuter wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
watching re-runs of "Real Housewives of New Jersey" and "Honey Boo-boo"

oh come on we don't want them to commit suicide.

You're right. I took it too far.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook

lacofdfireman wrote:

man, that is a parallel that occurred to me. Sales guys competing for business need to be able drive. They have a few too many and drive with an excessive BAC. Their failure to follow the LAW, sure as hell is a threat to everyone else's LIFE, say nothing of prize money from riding a bike. It's likely as lacofdfireman points out that there's more than a few folks posting here that have made questionable decisions in this regard, but not ONE of you would be jumping on the soapbax at the PD and saying, "Yup, I'm drunk, I broke the law, I'm guilty." NOT ONE OF YOU. You'd all lawyer up too, as is your right. And I don't think after you paid the fine, had your drivers license suspended, maybe some jail time, you'd be taking any full page ads out, let alone posting on your Facebook page, or a SlowDriver forum that you 'f*cked up, broke a CRIMINAL law, exposed everyone to the risk of a horrific tragedy, but you're sorry and hope it's OK with everyone if you drive again. Nope.

Slowman wrote:

i know you're busy. me too. yet i carve out time for this. i also, by my own estimate, have spent about $30,000 to $40,000 in hard cash toward this industry group project, i don't ever expect to see that money back, and i am not a wealthy man.

Dan I really appreciate your work and resources spent on working on these issues. Although I appreciate Helle's effort in coming on here, I think her statement about having commitments is representative of part of the problem in general. People are giving to credence to a couple of tweets that were fired off most likely from a smartphone in a blink of eye. There wasn't a lot of thought and effort and the initial value is low and the follow-up usually even less. What I don't see these athletes doing is participating in any sort of substantial way in terms of awareness. Although there is some value on twitter, it is still far less than Facebook which is still the 100-lb gorilla. In addition, I don't see a lot of athletes coming on here where we can actually have a more organized discussion, but likely like Helle, they realize it is a lot of work.

Twitter has the "cool" feeling to a lot of these athletes and they use it for this reason. I saw first hand a ton of pros either in the race or on the sidelines at Kona riding around w/o helmets. I mean come on, you have a great chance to set a good example and make helmets "cool" but yet they don't. I did see Chrissie always wearing a helmet. I feel it is going to take a few more Chrissie's to really get the ball rolling. Jordan does seem like another one that could be influential but we definitely need some more ambassadors. Happy to help where I can. If you are going to the Triathlon Business International meeting I would hope that they look at the stagger rule at some point. Although the idea of the stagger rule appears good on the outside, we have seen well organized packs defeat the purpose of it anyway. My big problem with the rule is it put athletes in a greatly increased risk to vehicle traffic. Cars don't understand why athletes are out in the middle of the road. Cars coming from behind and honk and scream. Cars coming in the oncoming lane put us in a potential perilous situation. And the worst, when there is a car in the back trying to pass with a vehicle in the oncoming lane. I myself felt like my life flashed before my eyes at Wildflower last year when bombing down the back side of the course at 45mph with cars coming in both directions and trying to make passes. It just isn't worth it to me. Extend the draft zone to 30 meters, I don't care how long it is made, but the stagger rule is plain old dangerous.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Dec 8, 13 10:01

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]

"Although I appreciate Helle's effort in coming on here, I think her statement about having commitments is representative of part of the problem in general."

in fairness, helle has 3 jobs right now, 1 of which is being a pro triathlete. she's one of the righteous ones. bjorn also.

if you want to really know what's threatening the ability of pros to get everything they want to get out of their professions, the doping issue, while important, is not #1 on the list. and it's not really brett sutton's prize money concern. those might be in the top-5, but there's at least 2 items in front of those.

i think maybe we're about to get somewhere. i have that twitch in my knee that tells me now might be the time. but i've had that twitch before. we'll see how things progress.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]

Quote:

Although I appreciate Helle's effort in coming on here, I think her statement about having commitments is representative of part of the problem in general. People are giving to credence to a couple of tweets that were fired off most likely from a smartphone in a blink of eye.

In-line with what I have recently wrote to Dan in a private message. It is likely unknown to most, but my life doesn't just consist of being a professional triathlete. I am an active nutritionist. I, for the last year, have managed and run HED Cycling Denmark and own a successful coaching platform. So naturally time is limited. As and when time permits, I will always vouch for what I believe is correct. If this be through public 'posting'/'expressing' of my opinion I will always continue to do it.

Thanks and as I said to Dan, I will commit to what I can when I can.

London 2012 Olympian : 6 x IRONMAN 70.3 Winner : 2014 Challenge Bahrain Champion : 2014 Hy-Vee 5150 Champion : Master of Human Nutrition - Twitter: @helle_f Facebook: /helletri Web: hellefrederiksen.com

Sponsors: Uplace-BMC Pro Triathlon - Nike - Sands Beach Active - NormaTec - Bragi - Hotbox Roasters

Slowman wrote:
"Although I appreciate Helle's effort in coming on here, I think her statement about having commitments is representative of part of the problem in general."

in fairness, helle has 3 jobs right now, 1 of which is being a pro triathlete. she's one of the righteous ones. bjorn also.

if you want to really know what's threatening the ability of pros to get everything they want to get out of their professions, the doping issue, while important, is not #1 on the list. and it's not really brett sutton's prize money concern. those might be in the top-5, but there's at least 2 items in front of those.

i think maybe we're about to get somewhere. i have that twitch in my knee that tells me now might be the time. but i've had that twitch before. we'll see how things progress.

Yes not to cast light on Helle, coming on here already takes a lot of effort and time and I thank her for dong that. Everyone always think being a pro triathlon is such a glamorous life when many in sport are still burning the candle at both ends and usually just to make ends-meat. But yes, we need some full-time crusaders, not a few tweets from some opportunists. I hope you are right about your twitch.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset

I must say, this topic is taking a turn for the better. It started off with unanswered questions, but is now (although so far without support from Michi Weiss himself) turning into a positive effort to force a change, create advocacy and get engagement of everyone in the fight against doping.

Michi Weiss, if you are still reading, this may be your golden ticket. Become an advocate and help drive this effort, and people will forgive, they will support your efforts and you can really move forward in a positive way with a renewed conscience. But only if you chose to be part if it.

Last edited by: Cobble: Dec 8, 13 10:37

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [helle_f] [ In reply to ]

helle_f wrote:
Quote:

Although I appreciate Helle's effort in coming on here, I think her statement about having commitments is representative of part of the problem in general. People are giving to credence to a couple of tweets that were fired off most likely from a smartphone in a blink of eye.

In-line with what I have recently wrote to Dan in a private message. It is likely unknown to most, but my life doesn't just consist of being a professional triathlete. I am an active nutritionist. I, for the last year, have managed and run HED Cycling Denmark and own a successful coaching platform. So naturally time is limited. As and when time permits, I will always vouch for what I believe is correct. If this be through public 'posting'/'expressing' of my opinion I will always continue to do it.

Thanks and as I said to Dan, I will commit to what I can when I can.

Yes I didn't mean it like. I meant it to read that part of the problem is despite what many people think, pro triathletes often wear many hats, and that is often to JUST get by (ie. not make any substantial amount of money one can retire on). So unless we have crusaders who make it either their full-time job it is going to be tough to be heard. I do appreciate your time to come and post here.

bjorn wrote:
lacofdfireman wrote:

Say what? Why must anyone who have ever been intoxicated also have driven while under the influence? Where I come from that's definitely not the case.. I don't know where to begin with your analogy because the comparison is fairly ridiculous, but if you drive intoxicated and hurt or kill someone I expect there to be repercussions. If you kill someone, never admits it and show no remorse I also think it'll be a bit harder to be accepted back into society. It's on a different scale but if Weiss admitted and showed remorse he'd at least get some more respect from people.

The reason why I and many others won't get over it is because we'd like to see a clean sport and bringing attention to it is one of many ways to help with that. And respectfully I have to say that no one ruined his career but himself if it happens(which I don't think).

Your 100% right that was a pretty lame example but was just trying to get across the point that everyone is a hypocrite at one point or another. And believe me your not perfect either.. That's just my opinion. But back to my question that all you that seem to dislike Michi haven't answered. How does what he did or didn't do in an entirely different sport at a different time in his life effect you personally "now" 9 years later and Ironman. This was an accusation 9 years ago while he was racing mountain bikes. You say he hasn't publicly admitted to it? Well accepting a suspension is proof to me that he has admitted some wrong doing. And he was punished and served a suspension. I for one if anything look at it in the entire opposite way. Here is a guy that overcame adversity with a decision that "HE" will have to live with for the rest of his life. This should in no way have to burden you or Ironman in either way but a positive way. He should be commended for coming back from a suspension and kicking ass not ridiculed. He could have taken his suspension and ridiculed and talked bad about the sport during his suspension but he didn't. He still came out to races and supported the events and his friends. He didn't sit back at home on Slowtwitch forums bashing and hating on others.

I still think there must be a lot of jealousy in professional athletes. In all sports not just Ironman of course. You want us and our kids to look up to you as professional athletes how about this. I would feel honored to tell my son's and daughter, hey look here is a guy that made some bad decisions in his life at one point. But look at what he has done now. He has risen above and overcome this obstacle and now wants to make a difference in the sport. So look kids this is an example that you can overcome anything if you put your heart and soul into it just as he did.

Prev Next